Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Places in MMORPGs you liked the most?

We who played amazing MMORPGs always have some cities, dungeons or hunting grounds in them that we loved the most, may it be its aesthetics, its NPCs, its lore or maybe the good moments we had in them that make them remarkable.

ITT: I would like people to share those places they liked the most.

I will start with Hellbound Island from Lineage 2.
I really love all the aspects of this place, its aesthetics, its NPCs and its lore perfectly fits each other.
And its name was pretty fitting, it was pretty much hell on earth, hundreds of players grinding, Clans/alliances fighting over main spots/bosses and doing hidden quests and objectives to unlock the 11 Stages of the big Hellbound island which took months to reach the final stage and for a alliance to kill its final boss Beleth for the first time.
211.jpg
Steel Citadel
6762fbc615512a1b0aeb2f3c7e2eac28.jpg
Enchanted Megaliths
Hellbound.jpg
Hellbound island map
maxresdefault.jpg
Beleth

6wtxguK.jpg
Aren't we all sinners?

Comments

• Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited March 2021
    Honestly, the single place that comes to mind is a zone in Wildstar.

https://youtu.be/N6ji1Iek0yQ

This moon-based zone, "Farside", in Wildstar was completely atmospheric and unique and is forever memorable to me.

Edit: I originally posted the wrong video >_>
    Fixed!
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    DDO: Daleras Tomb. This dungeon has a special place in my heart.

Aside from just having a good atmosphere, classic traps, and classic mobs. It is DMed by Gary Gygax himself.
    It just makes me happy to hear his voice as I am going though the dungeons. The most memorable area in all of MMORPGs for me. I still have memories of people I used to run this with in 2006.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL04oSktUxA&ab_channel=Ysukai

Honorable mention: Valkum Dunes from FFXI. I must have spent months of my life in that zone. Always feels good to roll up in there around level 11-12 looking for some new friends.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tangled_Depths

A giant, sprawling, confusing zone. But so much to do and discover, while pushing into the jungle. And by that point you had a lot of the glider stuff and other traversal masteries from the expansion to make it even more fun to just run around and try to reach new places. Plus it had a final multi-pronged meta-event to push through to the final zone of the expansion (Dragon's Stand), which was a pretty neat way to tie it all back together.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    Leonerdo5 wrote: »
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tangled_Depths

A giant, sprawling, confusing zone. But so much to do and discover, while pushing into the jungle. And by that point you had a lot of the glider stuff and other traversal masteries from the expansion to make it even more fun to just run around and try to reach new places. Plus it had a final multi-pronged meta-event to push through to the final zone of the expansion (Dragon's Stand), which was a pretty neat way to tie it all back together.

Really almost any GW2 zone has so much in it. They are all full of personality and every inch has a purpose. It's one of the major reasons why it's one of my favourite games
  • Options
    Everquest 2 Veeshan's Peak. Several Raid mobs all requiring completely different strats. They were all Dragons. Trash mobs in between for parse wars and down time to relax. Normally took 2 or 3 nights to finish.
    Was always my favorite.
  • Options
    For me there are some places that capture that Fantasy aspect of an MMO I look for. Some of it is the scale, some of it is the design, the music etc.

Here are a few that come to mind right now:

- Starting area for Night Elves in WoW
    - Rak'tika Greatwood in FFXIV
    - Ishgard in FFXIV
    - The original Isle of Dawn in Tera (when first released)
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Asgerr wrote: »
    ♩♩La He... to bad I have ebola...♩♩
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    ♩♩La He... to bad I have ebola...♩♩

Man of culture right here
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Most often the little places you stumble upon which have no relevance to any quests, but yet, the environment artists went out of their way to place things. A little area in the mountains of Tirisfal Glades in WoW has an awesome fairy circle. It is well known now, but this wasn't the case during Cataclysm.

Just little touches of detail that make the world feel amazing. And given they usually have nothing associated with them. These are the rewards for exploring. Nothing your character can wear, or use, or some title. But a memory for the player. "Wow, this place is cool."
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think the spirit of the thread should not be limited to experiences within MMORPG`s as many places, spaces created in other games might be possible for the intent/experience to be replicated.

Places that stand out in recent years.
    • the landscape of Kingdom Come Deliverance overall
    • the first time to go underground in Skyrim
    • the forests, of New World
    • the moods that lighting / colored fog played in New World
    • landscapes of dragon age inquisition
  • Options
    Dun Morogh in WoW as it was where I first entered the world back in 2007 and I loved immersing in the dwarf culture.

Nagrand in Outland at night is the most beautiful zone in WoW hands down.

The Orr zones in GW2 due to the rich lore and overall aesthetic. I also enjoy the Shiverpeak zones while it's snowing.
  • Options
    - The original Isle of Dawn in Tera (when first released)

Isle of Dawn in Tera was stunning!
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    Original Wilderness in Runescape was super spooky as a young kid on dial up
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2021
    Macbriney wrote: »
    Original Wilderness in Runescape was super spooky as a young kid on dial up

Never knew when someone would call and you would lose connection.
  • Options
    JxshuwuJxshuwu Member
    edited March 2021
    In pre-eoc runescape, Daemonheim (Dungeoneering area) was so cool to me when it released. The graphics were so awesome and new to me, it looked SOOO good in my eyes, me and my ingame friends would stand at this edge of a cliff and just look at our characters with the Daemonheim track playing and it would be the most badass thing ever as kids.

The Daemonheim track to help your imagination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxOago7OGc4

When i first played WoW (Which was really late in like 2015-16~ ish) i started as a blood elf and next to silvermoon city there's this place called Dead Scar which i thought was really badass and i was scared of the ghouls with the red claws. Also the floating platforms with the spirits right next to the spawn were really cool to me. Sadly didn't stick long with the game.

600?cb=20070121191223

Albion online isn't known for its amazing graphics nor amazing landscapes, but the avalonian dungeons were waaay bigger than other ones and was eye-candy compared to the rest in the game. Mobs and aesthetics, everything included. Avalonian roads were also awesome with this eerie mysterious soundtrack and low hanging mist, knowing it was a full-loot pvp area made it kinda nervewrecking for the first time.

be6d6db12f45ba27c288206463438eab5d85e8eb.jpeg

Sadly i got into MMO's pretty late as i had the attention span of a toddler on a sugar rush, but as i got older i got into them more and more so i dont have alot of experiences where i was like ''whoa'' as i barely even got to end-game with most MMO's. Im sure there's a few more i can't come up with right now, but the ones i mentioned are also very good memories.

• Options
    Jxshuwu wrote: »
    Albion online isn't known for its amazing graphics nor amazing landscapes, but the avalonian dungeons were waaay bigger than other ones and was eye-candy compared to the rest in the game. Mobs and aesthetics, everything included. Avalonian roads were also awesome with this eerie mysterious soundtrack and low hanging mist, knowing it was a full-loot pvp area made it kinda nervewrecking for the first time.

Even tho its graphics aren't amazing i like the overall simplistic aesthetics of albion
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options

Even tho its graphics aren't amazing i like the overall simplistic aesthetics of albion

I agree 10000% i love the simple design. Realistic isn't always better to me, look at Sea of Thieves for example. Idk how the explain its graphics but it looks so good but completely unrealistic. The only thing i miss in albion is that one place or that one city where you're like ''whoaaa'', for the most part its just copy paste generated stuff. The cities have similar layouts in a different aesthetic which i wish wasn't the case.
  • Options
    Im not sure I could nail down any specific area in any game I have played that truly stands out to me. My connection to areas seems always to be based on the people I played with and how often we would all be there playing together. In that sense I guess the playability and subsequent replay ability is what distinguishes a great area verses an area that essentially a flyover zone/location.
  • Options
    Elder ScrollsElder Scrolls Member
    edited March 2021
    2FBrFY6.jpeg
    hqdefault.jpg
    fBMJIYX.jpg

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

To me, it looks like a game that has/had ambitions to be an e-sport title.
  • Options
    Taipan wrote: »
    Im not sure I could nail down any specific area in any game I have played that truly stands out to me. My connection to areas seems always to be based on the people I played with and how often we would all be there playing together. In that sense I guess the playability and subsequent replay ability is what distinguishes a great area verses an area that essentially a flyover zone/location.

Same goes for me, areas all look similar if its in the same type of map. Nothing stands out besides specific memories like 100 guild members stripped naked on my personal island dancing for my birthday.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    To me, it looks like a game that has/had ambitions to be an e-sport title.

pretty much that.

6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A lot of my best memories come from doing stuff with others vs just a zone that stands out for anything in particular.
    Open world pvp in a tightly packed zone and facing/looking out for that one particular foe.
    However The Karazhan raid back when it relevant was a ton of fun especially Drunken Kara.
    We had enough people to run two raids. We all put gold into the pot and had a race through to see who could finish first including the hidden dragon boss.
    After every boss kill everyone had to take a shot.
    Was a glorious drunken Saturday night.
    Good times
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The Barrens back in the day.
    So large.
    So many people.
    So relaxing.
    Head south, turn on auto walk, and go grab a drink... Hope you don't get ganked :p
    Really, there's nothing super exciting about the zone. The aesthetic is off the charts though. The visuals matched the music which matched the quests. To me, it's the epitome of "Time to sit down and grind for six hours".
  • Options
    Shoelid wrote: »
    To me, it's the epitome of "Time to sit down and grind for six hours".
    I know that feel, some places you just grind and pretty much lose your notion of time and when you notice "boom" you just grinded for hours without noticing. Hellbound was always like that, especially when disputing with another party for a spot.

6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited March 2021
    Mmos? So many that my mind is blank now; if I mention them without an image people won't "get the picture"

I have played many single player games as well where the devs built beautiful worlds.

So... the places I liked the most from gaming:

The Dark Souls 3 zones are all perfect from an aesthetic point of view and you can feel lost, find your way, without using a GPS map/compass.

Be it natural environments,like mountains or forrests or glaciers, constructs like castles or cathedrals or cities, underground like catacombs or dungeons (prisons) or core of the earth, these zones were all made PERFECT. Not because they were gloomy. No. They just felt real.
  • Options
    HedgemonHedgemon Member
    edited March 2021
    bfme2 anyone?
    vlcsna10.jpg
    vlcsna12.jpg
    Trample the dead and hurdle the fallen. Run, and you will only die tired.
  • Options
    YuyukoyayYuyukoyay Member
    edited March 2021
    Icecrown-Citadel.jpg

I like Winter places. Though I also like gothic themed places. This is both!

Icecrown Citadel for those who didn't play WoW.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    I like Winter places. Though I also like gothic themed places. This is both!

Icecrown Citadel for those who didn't play WoW.

I also like winter areas, the one i liked the most in Lineage 2 was Ice Queen's Castle.
    6bb01048e478da2aa741c265cdbbcb3b.jpg

6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?