[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

The death animation/Phoenix

George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
edited March 2021 in General Discussion
Looks good but I don't like it.
Player corpses are nice and I think many, here or not, might feel the same.

Also it's too Marvelly. There will ALWAYS be that connection, a connection that breaks the 4th wall and is immersion breaking.

Suggestion:
When a player dies let it be a simple death. Let the body hit the floor. Let us loot the body.
As soon as the player hits "Respawn" let the animation with the incineration and the ashes play for a few seconds and then let the player respawn somewhere with the phoenix wings. Maintains the lore.

Comments

• WarthWarth Member
    disagreed. We don't need garbage lying pn the floor.
    #NoTrash, #NoLittering
  • I really enjoyed the first iteration of the death animation.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One

Also it's too Marvelly. There will ALWAYS be that connection and it's lore/immersion breaking.

Suggestion:
    When a player dies let it be a simple death. Let the body hit the floor. Let us loot the body.
    As soon as the player hits "Respawn" let the animation with the incineration and the ashes play for a few seconds and then let the player respawn somewhere with the phoenix wings. Maintains the lore.

Did you just use "maintains the lore" as a justification for a change against what the developers want to do?

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Disagree. It's incredible.

Did you miss the part where the burning and the ashes are completely related to the lore?
  • DreohDreoh Member

Also it's too Marvelly. There will ALWAYS be that connection and it's lore/immersion breaking.

Suggestion:

You could make that argument about literally anything fictional. Every idea has been utilized in some other content.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like it. It is not the same as everything else.
    Go back and rewatch the video. The whole thing is lore based.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • NeliryaNelirya Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I think it looks really good for a first iteration and fits the lore well. Hopefully they will keep it.
    giphy.gif
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited March 2021
    I thought the animation was fantastic and would much rather see that happen in PvP than a bunch of bodies on the ground.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Seems so far people love it
  • RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I love the disintegration animation as well.
    2PXdm1m
  • I really liked the death animation, it's quite unique and definitely fits the lore and even the name of the game.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • The animation looks great, especially for the first iteration. Hopefully it takes a while to despawn because I'm looking forwards to seeing battlefields covered in the ashes of the fallen.
  • DreohDreoh Member
    ohToasty wrote: »
    The animation looks great, especially for the first iteration. Hopefully it takes a while to despawn because I'm looking forwards to seeing battlefields covered in the ashes of the fallen.

This is one of the cool little things I liked when playing WoW

After players revive their skeleton remains for a long time afterwards. Sometimes you'd walk into your city and see a mass of skeletons at the gate, showing the opposing faction failed at raiding your city.
  • IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2021
    It looks great imo and it fits the lore - but like i said in another post, that ash death animation could be a result of dying by a critical hit just like in ESO. This would be a good way to balance the likes and dislikes.
    Izil.png
    Izil wrote: »
    It looks great imo and it fits the lore - but like i said in another post, that ash death animation could be a result of dying by a critical hit just like in ESO. This would be a good way to balance the likes and dislikes.

No... it's directly related to the lore. Why would the lore only function when you get crit? Let's leave the game designing to the developers.
  • WarthWarth Member
    Nobody cares about balancing the likes and dislikes.
    If people don't like it, then they can suck it up. You don't need to please everybody. You don't want to please everybody.
  • IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Totally agree with you guys, but just shoutout incase devs change their mind and get too much complaints i just wanted to give a suggestion
    Izil.png
  • I really liked the animation and the concept of death into the ashes. It looked amazing and was probably most exciting part of the stream. The spin they take with incorporating turning into a ash pile that people dust through in search of loot is pretty cool and I hope they will stick with that direction.
  • I really liked the animation! Its super cool and am super hyped to see it ingame.
  • I was really impressed with the death animation and I think that it looks incredible.
    The devs really had a great idea and I love it. It goes well with the game's theme as well.
    That's easily a 10 out of 10 from me.
    lOdSqVw.png
    Are you looking for an amazing community with lovely people? Join the Aurora Discord now and chat with us!
    We are recruiting!
  • Warth wrote: »
    disagreed. We don't need garbage lying pn the floor.
    #NoTrash, #NoLittering

agree, dead people is trash B)
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Here is what the new death animation showed me.

It showed me that realism is not as high of a priority as I initially thought.

The game seems more like Lineage2, Aion, and Tera with the whimsical take on high fantasy.

Which is fine if that is what IG wants. The style don't bug me, its just not my favorite.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • MarcetMarcet Member
    edited March 2021
    I think its better if you can actually see the dead bodies and identify their gear, not just piles of ashes, but it's ok they can keep it.
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »

The game seems more like Lineage2, Aion, and Tera with the whimsical take on high fantasy.

Which is fine if that is what IG wants. The style don't bug me, its just not my favorite.

I mean...they showed mages trowing fireballs from day 1...of course this wasn't going to be realistic...
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Kionashi wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

I mean...they showed mages trowing fireballs from day 1...of course this wasn't going to be realistic...

Obviously...

What I mean is that you can suspend disbelief if a fantasy or sci-fi setting plays by a set of rules. The closer that set of rules is to our own reality, the more realistic it is to me. The death animation that we have now seems to be aliened further from the rule set of the real world. To me that makes it more whimsical that I thought they were trying to be.

Since I thought the game world was based off of Stevens own D&D setting, I thought Ashes would follow the illusion of realism D&D is known for in most setting. This is not a disappointment to me, it just sets my expectations of how much realism to expect lower. Again, not a deal breaker, just not my style.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
    Marcet wrote: »
    I think its better if you can actually see the dead bodies and identify their gear, not just piles of ashes, but it's ok they can keep it.

Thank you for giving the developers permission to keep it.
  • DreohDreoh Member

Obviously...

What I mean is that you can suspend disbelief if a fantasy or sci-fi setting plays by a set of rules. The closer that set of rules is to our own reality, the more realistic it is to me. The death animation that we have now seems to be aliened further from the rule set of the real world. To me that makes it more whimsical that I thought they were trying to be.

Since I thought the game world was based off of Stevens own D&D setting, I thought Ashes would follow the illusion of realism D&D is known for in most setting. This is not a disappointment to me, it just sets my expectations of how much realism to expect lower. Again, not a deal breaker, just not my style.

People turning to ash isn't as far out there as you're making it out to be.

It's literally just one lore mechanic. Sure the players don't collapse to the ground all splayed out as a cold corpse, but player characters tend to be special in all settings.

NPC's and mobs have regular death animations as we've seen already.

Obviously...

It’s actually based on a Pathfinder campaign. Not a D&D one.

Also, it was very clear from the beginning that he created his own universe and was using the Pathfinder rule set to play the campaign. The setting of these campaigns can be different every time based on who the DM is and what campaign he/she wants to build. There is no such thing as a more realistic norm. The DM determines where they want to take the campaign and especially so when it’s a custom made one such as Steven’s. So I’m not sure why you had the expectation that you had.
  • VmanGman wrote: »

It's okay you can try to diminish people who have their own opinion. Have a good day man.
    VmanGman wrote: »

It's okay you can try to diminish people who have their own opinion. Have a good day man.

I’m not diminishing your opinion. I’m just pointing out that your wording is baloney... the developers don’t need our permission to do anything. Your statement comes off a little entitled.