Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Idea - about affecting the environment

Hello everyone !
I have an idea I want to share with you all.

We all know that when a player dies, they become ashes.
What if - a player dies in the vast open world and after some time:

- a plant grows up from the spot the player died and swallows the player's ashes and it becomes stronger (maybe it can summon a few weak mobs around as well);

OR

- a monster eats the ashes and becomes stronger;

OR

- an elite monster (that roams the world) eats the ashes and becomes stronger.

All this will have an impact on the environment. This way, the players side will be penalised, since it's a war between players vs monsters (PvE wise). The monsters side will get an edge when a player dies.
This won't apply to events like sieges, caravans and such.

What do you all think ?
lOdSqVw.png
Are you looking for an amazing community with lovely people? Join the Aurora Discord now and chat with us!
We are recruiting!

Comments

• Sounds like a lot of work for not much gain. You can randomize these events, tree growing, a strong monster appears, and I doubt anyone would notice.

I am all thumbs up for implementing immersive features like this, but they have to make sense from a development perspective too.

Imagine after a huge siege or guild/ node war battle and there is just a foot of ashes on the battlefield from all those slain. would be pretty cool
  • Barbecue wrote: »
    Hello everyone !

Hihihi, why do I have flashbacks of Lister going around the ship sampling the piles of ashes in the first episode of Red Dwarf?

Simply having piles of ashes attracting creatures could be cool. Having them level up if they eat the ashes? Why not.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Percimes wrote: »
    Barbecue wrote: »
    Hello everyone !

Hihihi, why do I have flashbacks of Lister going around the ship sampling the piles of ashes in the first episode of Red Dwarf?

Simply having piles of ashes attracting creatures could be cool. Having them level up if they eat the ashes? Why not.

Man that brought back memories, love that show
  • This might make more sense as a mechanic specific to a particular encounters rather than making it open world. Prevent the remains of the fallen from being consumed by others (player or NPC) otherwise they become more powerful and harder to manage.

But it could also be considered already in play when players loot your corpse and gain your resources. At some point the "role-playing" aspects of role-playing games must fall on the player themselves...
  • That would be awesome in areas that have undead but I also find it cool if it stays there and drop some of ur inventory randomly until someone got it. The primary ideia is to loot the resources (whateaver that means). I think it would be great if they add changes on monsters by the changes on the envyroment itself (raining, snowing, night) and add buffs or debuffs accordingly
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    While as a general idea it has merit, any system that rewards players for dying probably shouldnt be in an MMO.

A system exactly as described would be ripe for player exploitation, people dying on purpose to level up mobs in order to improve loot drops.

This idea would perhaps be better suited I'd there were a specific type of mob in a given area that dropped ashes.
  • BigRambleBigRamble Member
    edited April 2021
    How about having just a little extra corruption for looting the green guy you just ganked and making the character's hands black with the ashes.
  • NeauxNeaux Member
    edited April 2021
    Percimes wrote: »

"They're dead Lister. Lister, they are all dead. She's dead too Lister. Because they are all dead Lister."

LOL

• Juicy Dubs wrote: »
    This might make more sense as a mechanic specific to a particular encounters rather than making it open world. Prevent the remains of the fallen from being consumed by others (player or NPC) otherwise they become more powerful and harder to manage.

Or only happening the corrupted places (like in one of the recent dev video). There could be a lore reason why the corrupted creatures are attracted to the Ashes.
    Noaani wrote: »
    While as a general idea it has merit, any system that rewards players for dying probably shouldnt be in an MMO.

A system exactly as described would be ripe for player exploitation, people dying on purpose to level up mobs in order to improve loot drops.

This idea would perhaps be better suited I'd there were a specific type of mob in a given area that dropped ashes.

Instead of a level up, a power up? A temporary buff that strengthen the creature. Losing a players only increase the threat, if it consumes the ashes even more so.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !