Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Chat filters, in-game censoring and the trend of being sensitive.

Comments

• Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Ironhammer wrote: »
    I get concerned with how much this community says "Stephen said so and so" Ya'll really worshipping him like a jesus figure and I think he's great, but temper that reverence for a guy you don't really know and no single person is the genius progenitor of MMORPG ideas

When it comes to Ashes specifically he is the guy making all of the final calls. While I don't agree with all of his ideas, I agree with most of his ideas when it comes to Ashes. Most people on here push back on him hard when they see something they don't like. The awful family summoning system for example. Still he is the Jesue figure (If you want to call him that) when it comes to ashes.

Take it you'll be living in a religious node?

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I get concerned with how much this community says "Stephen said so and so" Ya'll really worshipping him like a jesus figure and I think he's great, but temper that reverence for a guy you don't really know and no single person is the genius progenitor of MMORPG ideas

When it comes to Ashes specifically he is the guy making all of the final calls. While I don't agree with all of his ideas, I agree with most of his ideas when it comes to Ashes. Most people on here push back on him hard when they see something they don't like. The awful family summoning system for example. Still he is the Jesue figure (If you want to call him that) when it comes to ashes.

Take it you'll be living in a religious node?

Economic node when I am not at sea.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Stevenism, ahhh thank you @Ironhammer ! I shall start that religion in my Divine node! We shall name our mounts and ships after Him, and all our alts will be derivatives of His name! We will dedicate each raid and siege to him, build statues and make adena art pictures of his bearded image. OH, and we will all design our toons with beards to look just like Him, whether male or female. What a glorious idea, thank you Ironhammer!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    tautau wrote: »
    Stevenism, ahhh thank you @Ironhammer ! I shall start that religion in my Divine node! We shall name our mounts and ships after Him, and all our alts will be derivatives of His name! We will dedicate each raid and siege to him, build statues and make adena art pictures of his bearded image. OH, and we will all design our toons with beards to look just like Him, whether male or female. What a glorious idea, thank you Ironhammer!

Stevangelists, would be a better name.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member

Stevangelist, would be a better name.

And the Paladins and lawbringers of the Stevangelist church would Sheriffs? XD
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Asgerr wrote: »

Stevangelist, would be a better name.

And the Paladins and lawbringers of the Stevangelist church would Sheriffs? XD

Or sandals
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Paladins in full plate but sandals with socks for boot slot
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Does he wear socks with his sandals?!?!

If so I am creating the Anti-Stevangelist Church right now.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

And what would be the tradition of the Anti-Stevangelist church?
    Mass burning of sandals?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Shaving and having blonde haired characters?
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »

Mass burning of sandals?

WE DON'T WEAR SOCK WITH SANDALS!

That is the one rule.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options

Mass burning of sandals?

That is the one rule.

Yeah! We wear socks with CROCs. Get it right!
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options

Mass burning of sandals?

That is the one rule.

Its like putting milk in first when it comes to tea. You don't do it
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Nagash wrote: »

Mass burning of sandals?

That is the one rule.

Wait.

Some people do this?

Must be children, as I can't imagine how such people could ake it to adulthood.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

Mass burning of sandals?

That is the one rule.

Wait.

Some people do this?

Must be children, as I can't imagine how such people could ake it to adulthood.

Heretics and monster do that
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Dreoh wrote: »
    insomnia wrote: »
    I get that parents would want their childrens to not see certain things. Plus i also see the use/need to be able to report people. Plus need to block people. Some people you just don't want to deal with. Of course there are people who are oversensative

Filters are fine, mandatory ones are not.

I never said they should be :)

I just said i can see the need for it, but that it can also be to much
  • Options
    SpekeerSpekeer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have been playing MMORPG since I was 12 years old (now I am thirty).

I am totally against censorship filters in chat. I have grown up playing all kinds of games in which there was no censorship of any kind or the one that was really easy to evade (like "apple" and "app.le"), and to the surprise of a part of society I was not I felt bad, not harassed, not verbally assaulted and not affected by it.

Possibly it is because at 12 years old I had more emotional intelligence than some adults today who cannot face or manage the frustration, anger or even hatred of others, which gives them a power in their words that they do not have.

In an MMORPG, I want to live all the possible experiences, the good ones but also the bad ones. Because you have fun from the good times, but you learn from the bad.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Someone who drops 40 million dollars to make an mmo that has no pay to win, promotes a community and social aspect, flourishes in open world pvp, and has unique mechanics.....I believe he deserves his high horse.

You on the other hand should take a seat. Steven said so and so you should do it.
  • Options
    Khronus wrote: »

Someone who drops 40 million dollars to make an mmo that has no pay to win, promotes a community and social aspect, flourishes in open world pvp, and has unique mechanics.....I believe he deserves his high horse.

You on the other hand should take a seat. Steven said so and so you should do it.

All of those things are fantastic, still doesn't make him incapable of being wrong. You're just shouting into the wind because as I said I don't dislike him or think he's wrong all that much. I just think it should be acknowledged that he can be wrong and idolizing any one is a set up for disappointment.

Any one remember paul barnett?
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Khronus wrote: »

All of those things are fantastic, still doesn't make him incapable of being wrong. You're just shouting into the wind because as I said I don't dislike him or think he's wrong all that much. I just think it should be acknowledged that he can be wrong and idolizing any one is a set up for disappointment.

Any one remember paul barnett?

I don't think anyone thinks of Steven as a god.
    We all have a thing or two we'd prefer to be different (for me it's obsession with inertia and action combat hitboxes) but Steven's vision, intention and design pillars are just sorely needed and I have a lot of respect for the amount of money he's risking to take on this project. The average person would just re-invest it into their own business.

Plus a big reason why Steven is "never wrong" is because the Intrepid team are doing a phenomenal job of understanding the community, and actively reworking things/communicating their stance on certain topics. Their feedback loop is very functional. So by consequence, Steven's authority has legitimacy.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    BahlderBahlder Member
    If it's a mandatory filter such as those Steam and Microsoft Games have implemented, I'd be incredibly disappointed. If folks are dropping absurdities, ban them - But there's something to be said for the free market of ideas and speech in a video game.

It's easy enough to manage your own experience via blacklisting. Custom code governing mandatory chat filters are not a win - Or at least, I have yet to see them become one.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    When it comes to game development, the way it works is that the devs implement their vision and then test it.
    In the testing, they may very well decide that they were wrong about what the overall fanbase thinks is fun.
    Devs might not even discover they were wrong about what the overall fanbase thinks is fun until after launch.
    But, we can't know until we actually play.

What is fun is subjective. It's not really a matter of Steven being right or wrong. Simply, Steven has the final say about what will be implemented.
    Individual players disagreeing with Steven's vision doesn't make him wrong.
    The New World devs had a vision of what they wanted for PVP. Lots of the fanbase wanted that same vision.
    The devs weren't "wrong". But, the majority of their fanbase didn't support that vision, so the devs drastically changed it.
    Steven is just striving to make the game he would love to play, based on his decades of experience playing MMORPGs.
    Can't please all of the players all of the time.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    All of those things are fantastic, still doesn't make him incapable of being wrong.
    I'm curious, where did you get the impression that this is what people think?

Almost all long term posters here have disagreed with things Steven has said or done, and most of us are quite vocal about it - or at least happy to share this fact when asked.

Some of us have even said "fuck you" to him somewhat directly - not something you would say to someone if you felt they could do no wrong.
  • Options
    BladenBladen Member
    Optional chat filter for easily offended people. There definitely should never be anything mandatory.
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    Slurs and similar terms should be banned completely for obvious reasons. There’s literally no justified reason anyone should be dropping those in a game. Curses though, teens will hear that stuff in middle school. Really, a dedicated moderation team will do much more for a decent community than a chat filter ever could.
  • Options
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Slurs and similar terms should be banned completely for obvious reasons. There’s literally no justified reason anyone should be dropping those in a game.

There is a justified reason.

They are lowborn Tulnar scum.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    Kivek RhuKhanKivek RhuKhan Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    200.gif?cid=95b2794495606d3938bf525310c0840c601b1c9615868645&rid=200.gif&ct=g
  • Options
    Slurs and similar terms should be banned completely for obvious reasons. There’s literally no justified reason anyone should be dropping those in a game.

completely off topic but i just now realized that your picture is captain sisko. For the longest time I thought it was Shaq.

as for the image I was thinking of when i looked at your picture, it was this.
    giphy.gif

God my brain can make some stupid references.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Kivek RhuKhanKivek RhuKhan Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sathrago wrote: »

completely off topic but i just now realized that your picture is captain sisko. For the longest time I thought it was Shaq.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »

giphy.gif

LOL, nah.
    I just seen that Steven used his favorite captain as his pic. I thought it would be funny to use mine.
    It was a toss up between Sisko or Adama.

I know Adama is not a captain and he is not trek, but to that I say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8siqEMMZgc
    TVMenSP.png