Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Chat filters, in-game censoring and the trend of being sensitive.

NeauxNeaux Member
edited April 2021 in General Discussion
I know Blizzard recently created an issue for themselves by adding a mandatory chat filter on top of the one that is defaultly turned on for its users.

On character creation they have a filter that protects their users from a variety of unsavory words - and this filter can be toggled off, which most people do.

Now they've added an additional mandatory filter that just disallows the use of some of these words completely.

In addition to whatever censoring a game company feels they need in place you then have the added tools that allow players to permanently block anyone that has ever said anything that offends them.

In a static (non instanced) world like AoC where player communication is so important, my fear is that by the time people have blocked everyone that has ever offended them - there will be no open communication left.

I'm exaggerating a bit for the purpose of making a point, but how do you think AoC should address all of this?

Comments

• Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Back in Vanilla WOW, you were able to say anything and everything. If you abused this and abused or harassed someone, they would ban you in increasing increments of time ( I know from personal experiences....I was a shitty kid then). The punishment scaled and ultimately we all learned to type just enough to not get banned but it still upset some people. GM's at the time would then just tell people, if you don't like it, turn on the profanity filter.

I hope for the method above. I understand, from a financial perspective, what it may cost to pay employees to essentially babysit. Maybe a mandatory filter might be more cost effective....and I am ok with that too if they add it.

People should not be overly sensitive and people should not be overly toxic. We will be a community that revolves around open world pvp, an immense trade market, and destroying each others things. Speak through actions, not through toxic (and childish) comments IMO.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have heard profanity for many decades. Personally, I don't enjoy listening to it unless it is used artfully. I dislike it so much that I will often not join guild discord to avoid it.

While this is only my opinion, people who curse constantly seem to either be trying to appear mature and tough when they aren't OR have such a poor grasp of their language that they use curse words for lack of knowing adjectives and adverbs that would far better describe what they are trying to say. Either way they come off as rather ignorant.

The above is just my personal opinion. My preference is to play with mature people who can express themselves well. I am sure I am doomed to be in a minority in the multi-player game universe.

• Options
    I believe a chat filter is good for people that like it or find it useful/necessary, but it should not be mandatory in any way, shape or form. A toggle to activate/deactivate it for yourself easily does the trick.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    HellfarHellfar Member
    edited April 2021
    It just needs to function the way it did in Vanilla WoW. Don't like profanity? Turn on the filter.

Character creation mandatory filtering should not be a thing. It's way too easy to do it the wrong way, and it's a waste of resources. A bad example is ArenaNet with GW2. Try creating a character like 'Shabooba the Fierce'. You'll get an Inappropriate Name error due to the word 'boob' being in the name. It's just awful design.

This is what happens when companies lay off GM's and replace them with automation purely for the sake of cost savings.

Leave it to the players to report bad character names, or constant harassment from the same account, and the GM's will fulfill their important roles and take action if the offense breaks ToS.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I don't understand the point of a chat filter, honestly.

If I want to offend someone, I can do that without using any word that any sane person would want to see filtered. Offense is in the intent behind what the person is saying, not the individual words they use.

If you are offended by the use of a single word, that is social conditioning.

Now, there are many words I won't ever use - because of social conditioning - but I also won't be offended if people use them around me. I will assume that either they have different social conditioning to me, or that they are trying to offend and can't think of anything I would find more offensive than using those words - and that would just make me laugh.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    I don't understand the point of a chat filter, honestly.

If I want to offend someone, I can do that without using any word that any sane person would want to see filtered. Offense is in the intent behind what the person is saying, not the individual words they use.

If you are offended by the use of a single word, that is social conditioning.

Now, there are many words I won't ever use - because of social conditioning - but I also won't be offended if people use them around me. I will assume that either they have different social conditioning to me, or that they are trying to offend and can't think of anything I would find more offensive than using those words - and that would just make me laugh.

100% agree with this.

The only reason a chat filter should exist, is for parents to decide what content their children digest.

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Chat filters are hit and miss at best.
    Couple years ago there was a study done on a private FB page. People using nasty racial slurs. They banned the words and the people just used other words to fill in the gaps but everyone knew what was going on.
    I disagree with this behavior but people need a chance to express themselves. As the OP said eventually you will run out of words to communicate with. Intent are purpose are very important. Taking things out of context and using that as a means to silence others will doom everything.
    Ever read 1984? New speak is not your friend.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Perhaps we have a hint at the future of censoring in this game when we look at how much these boards are censored. Have you all seen much (or any) censoring? I haven't.
  • Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    edited April 2021
    That why Rust still One of my favorite MMO, is the ONLY game with free speech, the game have some healthy toxity that i can t explain... In MMORPG what dislike more then people saying bad words or being offensive is spammers, and chat sellers/bots
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    Mandatory censoring and filters is a slippery slope every time.

Recently Twitch banned "Obese" (an actual medical term btw) in their ever marching towards a "safe" environment.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    tautau wrote: »
    Perhaps we have a hint at the future of censoring in this game when we look at how much these boards are censored. Have you all seen much (or any) censoring? I haven't.

Only a very tiny bit. What we have seen I think was justified. Every now and then we get a jerk that feels this is the place to post how dumb they are by devolving into the rancidness that is racism here and those threads fortunately get killed quickly.(not talking about the minor anti elf stuff) Good job to the mods and IS for keeping that nonsense out of here. I am all for free speech and expression but if that is who you are I don't want you anywhere near me.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Only a very tiny bit. What we have seen I think was justified.
    At risk of turning this in to a discussion on the moderation of these forums (it isn't, it is a discussion on in game moderation, using the moderation on these forums as a template), I mostly agree with this.

In my time here, I believe I have had three posts censured. Two of them I agree with in hindsight, though one of them I absolutely do not. The two I agree with were on the verge of being able to be read as personal attacks, and even though that wasn't the intent at all (I'm happy to attack ideas, but generally not people), I can agree that removing those posts and me re-writing them better was perhaps a good idea.

This is what most - though not all - of the deleted posts and banned users here that I have seen did.

I'm not going to get in to the post that I outright disagreed with being moderated, as like I said above, I am not wanting to turn this in to a discussion on the forums moderation.

In general though, it is fairly good, and generally consistent moderation.

If it is similar to this in game, then that will be just fine, imo.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    While this is only my opinion, people who curse constantly seem to either be trying to appear mature and tough when they aren't OR have such a poor grasp of their language that they use curse words for lack of knowing adjectives and adverbs that would far better describe what they are trying to say. Either way they come off as rather ignorant.

Also, when people compare in-game content to hideous diseases like cancer and AIDS. I'm absolutely certain that no in-game content is anything like either of them. This winds me up a whole lot more than swearing, which I agree is generally unnecessary and ignorant.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If we do have a chat filter, I'd like to petition for the word "Tulnar" to be placed on the list as a matter of utmost priority.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    I get that parents would want their childrens to not see certain things. Plus i also see the use/need to be able to report people. Plus need to block people. Some people you just don't want to deal with. Of course there are people who are oversensative
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If the game is rated for teens then profanity filters should be optional
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    insomnia wrote: »
    I get that parents would want their childrens to not see certain things. Plus i also see the use/need to be able to report people. Plus need to block people. Some people you just don't want to deal with. Of course there are people who are oversensative

Filters are fine, mandatory ones are not.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I pretty much ignore game-channel chat and only focus on skype/discord/twitch chat.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    I pretty much ignore game-channel chat and only focus on skype/discord/twitch chat.

Makes for a much more enjoyable gaming experience!
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    If we do have a chat filter, I'd like to petition for the word "Tulnar" to be placed on the list as a matter of utmost priority.

Maybe it could be replaced with other synonyms: Filth? Dirt? Hated-By-The-Gods? Hated-By-The-Everybody?
  • Options
    BlackheartedBlackhearted Member
    edited May 2021
    Its good for kids to face annoying people online, so theyll know how to deal with them irl.
    Theyre just words, ure the one deciding when and how they affect u.
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • Options
    YuyukoyayYuyukoyay Member
    edited April 2021
    I'm against any form of censorship for any reason. The optional filter should be a thing, but a mandatory one should not. If someone is a dirty racist I want to know they are a dirty racist so I know not to play with them. Not to have to decipher hieroglyphics to determine what kind of person they are or not.

I don't care about the stream ability of the game. If they want to stream it force them to cover the chat. I don't care about anyone's feelings. Fuck your feelings. Learn maturity instead of trying to cancel everything you don't agree with.

This is the one thing that has always been perfect in MMO's and there doesn't need to be an update in this area. I actually think it is more risky to put a mandatory filter in because it makes you more liable to a federal lawsuit over the constitutional rights instead of having no threat of lawsuit at all.

I know Steven's stance on it. He believes in completely free speech and I agree with that stance as well. Have the optional filter for those easily offended by swear words and have an option of absolutely nothing at all.

I do say there is probably no place for racial slurs to be used in names though. That is probably where the line between freedom and stupidity should be drawn. If I made a game I don't think having the top player be "N****slayer69" is a good thing.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dygz wrote: »

Some time you can get some great moments if you read the ingame chat :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    NeauxNeaux Member
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    I'm against any form of censorship for any reason. The optional filter should be a thing, but a mandatory one should not. If someone is a dirty racist I want to know they are a dirty racist so I know not to play with them. Not to have to decipher hieroglyphics to determine what kind of person they are or not.

... Learn maturity instead of trying to cancel everything you don't agree with.

Pretty much this. I also agree that you need some type of control over the names that people select though - it doesn't make much sense to allow people to pick horrible names and then obfuscate them with a filter.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2021
    People need abandon the illusion that they have "free speech" everywhere they go. Your speech is only free when you hold the power. A game company can just ban/remove you, ergo, they hold the power. What these types of debates online typically are really about isn't even about "free speech", but about wanting "unaccountable speech".

I am a big proponent in individual agency and accountability. By not having a mandatory filter, you allow people to be accountable for themselves, and most people can handle that.

For those that can't, I think there should be consequences, you should be held accountable for what you say online. Good or bad. And when you censor chat, you remove part of these consequences because you aren't allowing that person to fuck up. It's like hand cuffing someone IN CASE they rob a bank. But we do handcuff people AFTER they rob the bank. That's what holding someone accountable is about.

Should a company have control over what people say and do on their platform? Should you be allowed to tell people what they can say and do in your house? I think yes. But I also don't go to other people's houses and wipe my ass on their couch, call their wife a fat whore and eat all their Doritos.

Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    codewarlockcodewarlock Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I've never been a fan of filtering. To be honest, I get annoyed when jumping into a new game and the "mature words" filter is auto checked. I'd rather have the option to mute people who are being obnoxious rather than seeing a chat window filled with asterisks.

Perhaps once AoC launches, we will have a similar situation that we had with earlier versions of WoW, where your reputation on a server was everything. If you cheated, stole, ninja-looted, or were otherwise a nuisance, word quickly spread about your poor reputation and eventually you boxed yourself out of find a decent group or guild in the future. After all, no one wants to play with someone actively ruining the game for everyone.

The only fix was starting a new character over on a new server and hoping no one found out it was you. Of course, if name changes & server transfers are a thing, that lessens the forced accountability that being bound to a server gives you--but it would be nice to see something similar again.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited April 2021
    Karthos wrote: »
    People need abandon the illusion that they have "free speech" everywhere they go. Your speech is only free when you hold the power. A game company can just ban/remove you, ergo, they hold the power. What these types of debates online typically are really about isn't even about "free speech", but about wanting "unaccountable speech".

I am a big proponent in individual agency and accountability. By not having a mandatory filter, you allow people to be accountable for themselves, and most people can handle that.

For those that can't, I think there should be consequences, you should be held accountable for what you say online. Good or bad. And when you censor chat, you remove part of these consequences because you aren't allowing that person to fuck up. It's like hand cuffing someone IN CASE they rob a bank. But we do handcuff people AFTER they rob the bank. That's what holding someone accountable is about.

Should a company have control over what people say and do on their platform? Should you be allowed to tell people what they can say and do in your house? I think yes. But I also don't go to other people's houses and wipe my ass on their couch, call their wife a fat whore and eat all their Doritos.

That's cool and all, but they could easily just not make the filter mandatory so that they aren't forcing their ideology on to people.
  • Options
    The only mandatory filter on words should be the obvious ones that will literally get you banned off of social platforms. The rest should fall under the optional filter and as long as I am not harassing another player or describing obscene sexual or graphic topics there should not be any actions against my account as there is a profanity filter in place that people can choose to turn off and on as well as outright blocking me if they don't like how I use words.

This system punishes dumbasses while keeping people's freedom to speak crudely to a certain degree.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member
    edited April 2021
    Sathrago wrote: »
    The only mandatory filter on words should be the obvious ones that will literally get you banned off of social platforms. The rest should fall under the optional filter and as long as I am not harassing another player or describing obscene sexual or graphic topics there should not be any actions against my account as there is a profanity filter in place that people can choose to turn off and on as well as outright blocking me if they don't like how I use words.

This system punishes dumbasses while keeping people's freedom to speak crudely to a certain degree.

Well-put!
  • Options
    TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member
    edited April 2021
    Your use of the term "overly sensitive" has triggered my Millenial Self-Entitlement to take offense, yet to also cause my Best Self to feel compassion for your right to use the terminology with which your culture and upbringing have both enriched you!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm needed over at the local Target; There's a white Karen giving a well-dressed black woman an indignant side-eye, and someone needs to Woke her up!

Millenial Man, AWAY! /FliesIntoTheSky

....Joking aside, profanity filters should definitely be optional, and there should absolutely be algorithms to stop gold-sellers.