Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Break the Gank Box -- Evil Suggestions Needed

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah, it's really not about getting ganked once in the span of 30 minutes... it's more about getting ganked multiple times in the span of 30 minutes.
    When I played Bless Online...the couple of times I got ganked, in a span of several months, were fine because it took me less than 5 minutes to grab my corpse and continue what I had been doing.

Currently, Ashes respawns you across the map and you only lose some resources.
    XP death for one death doesn't feel too bad.
    We'll have to see how it feels once the full systems come on line.
    It's Alpha One Preview, so....no way to meaningfully weigh in at the moment.
  • Options
    fabulafabula Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It seems people are talking about different things when they they hear the work gank.

Gank ONLY means getting killed by another and its not because your guild is at war with another guild, or your node is at war with another node or any other in game mechanic where you lose nothing by getting killed.

None of that is ganking, that's just pvp in the game. I hope that is what people have in mind when they use the word "gank".
  • Options
    fabula wrote: »
    It seems people are talking about different things when they they hear the work gank.

Gank ONLY means getting killed by another and its not because your guild is at war with another guild, or your node is at war with another node or any other in game mechanic where you lose nothing by getting killed.

None of that is ganking, that's just pvp in the game. I hope that is what people have in mind when they use the word "gank".

Ya, ganking to me, is when you get killed before you have the chance to fight back. If I fight back and lose, it's just a loss, and not a gank to me.

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Recluse74 wrote: »
    fabula wrote: »

Ya, ganking to me, is when you get killed before you have the chance to fight back. If I fight back and lose, it's just a loss, and not a gank to me.

Then you need to talk about "reaction/fightback/recovery from ambush" mechanics.
    I started such a topic a year ago, but noooo... people keep demanding to shut doen open world pvp instead of addressing a specific issue.
  • Options
    I haven't really seen anyone in this thread demanding to shut down open world PvP.
    Rather people have said they won't play if Corruption is not a sufficient deterrent for non-consensual PvP combat.

There are always a few new people who discover Ashes and come to the forums to complain about their concern that the Corruption mechanic is either too strong or too weak. Seems to happen at least once a month.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Is there anything currently that prevents a pker party from splitting half hunter half camper to milk a crafters supplies dry? I assume diminishing returns from xp debt is probably part of it but...
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    I don't think you can camp in Ashes.
  • Options
    What system would make that unlikely to happen?

• Options
    ThexBlackxKnightThexBlackxKnight Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    JustVine wrote: »

Pvp players will find a way , not hard to figure out spawn points.
  • Options
    roostroost Member

This is why I'd be in favor of a system like WoW's, where you have to run back to your corpse to respawn, and maybe have a short period of time immediately after rezzing where you can't drop any materials, lose xp, or contribute to a corruption count if you die again.
  • Options
    ThexBlackxKnightThexBlackxKnight Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    roost wrote: »

This is why I'd be in favor of a system like WoW's, where you have to run back to your corpse to respawn, and maybe have a short period of time immediately after rezzing where you can't drop any materials, lose xp, or contribute to a corruption count if you die again.

Yeah that could work , I remember the rez shrines in Archeage always being surrounded by enemy players , where you are stuck there unless you teleported out. Hopefully Steven doesnt have a found a memory of that and does something better.
  • Options

Knowing spawn points wont help unless those spawn points are really close. With no fast travel, you would have to be really hard up to kill a specific player more than once.
  • Options
    Recluse74 wrote: »

Knowing spawn points wont help unless those spawn points are really close. With no fast travel, you would have to be really hard up to kill a specific player more than once.

If spawn points are that far apart imagine how much of a pain in ass it would be to do pve in general.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah, but if xp gain is relatively simple and death not too costly to deal with and if respawn places are well placed, then I can see purposeful dying to traverse the map faster! (Just like New World)
  • Options
    If spawn points are that far apart imagine how much of a pain in ass it would be to do pve in general.
    Depends on what the specific PvE goals are for that game session. And will also depend on the specific resources dropped from that death.

• Options
    My thought is more so groups of pvpers. By having materials drop you have now given people the option to turn a passive pattern matching activity into an active combat oriented one. There will always be like minded people who have fun through combat only. It doesn't really matter if the spawn points are far apart. Such people can and will coordinate if there is a benefit to it. Because it lets them replace an activity that isn't fun for them into a fun one AND feeds into their normal play style and increases their profit, it's a very straight forward social and profitable no brainer activity. Debuffs and Xp debt are mildly problematic for such players, but your literally just paying xp for material resources you wouldn't be able to get in a way that is fun for you anyway, were as 'solving' xp debt is p.

Gathering up a bunch of people who like gathering or 'being police' for people is much more difficult. Yes there will be guilds but gathering and resource hunting is a much more solo oriented thing. Especially given depletable resource nodes. As it stands I don't see any mechanism to discourage 'farming' spawn points through this split party.

Floats suggestion of a WoW like system is mildly interesting, but has its own flaws from a crafter's point of view in that other people are still capitalizing on the crafter's time and ability to get resources since the 'hunters' have no reason to really go away in this scenario. It's likely they'll just wait for 2-3 minutes which is an economic and fun penalty to the crafter in itself. Other games solve this by allowing an option to teleport to the nearest town, but I'm not sure if Steven want's AoC to be that kind of game? Does anyone else have other suggestions to this situation?

• Options
    Hmmmn. If I recall correctly, Landmark gave people farming in groups bonus resources.
  • Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    edited June 2021
    Maybe you forget about bounty hunters? And there is many mechanics we still don't know ,you Will have gear for gathering maybe they Will add stats or skills to Run or spot pk like for example Albion...

Depends how mounts Will work to, for example in Albion you have an option to dismount your mount and he Stay near you inside an certain área, that way you can mount instant if you find some danger
  • Options
    The system is inherently flawed. Hitting someone does nothing, killing someone gives you corruption. Enter assassins.
    Option 1:
    Weak person walks up to stronger person and hits them. Stronger person hits them back. Assassin who is much stronger kills person that hit the weak person and gets no punishment and can repeat this gaining benefits and loot for free.
    Option 2:
    Weak person steals kills on mobs from people similar level and thereby gains the loot/xp. People get annoyed and attack Weak person. Strong assassin kills all the weaker people except their friend.
    Option 3:
    Strong person kills mbs that weaker people want until they get sick of the game and quit or hit back. Stronger person kills weaker people and gets stronger. Weak person quits.

The corruption system is designed to prevent unwanted pvp, but can easily be abused to grief other players that are weaker than you leading to them making that fatal mistake out of frustration

Loki
  • Options
    LowQuey wrote: »
    The system is inherently flawed. Hitting someone does nothing, killing someone gives you corruption. Enter assassins.
    Option 1:
    Weak person walks up to stronger person and hits them. Stronger person hits them back. Assassin who is much stronger kills person that hit the weak person and gets no punishment and can repeat this gaining benefits and loot for free.
    Option 2:
    Weak person steals kills on mobs from people similar level and thereby gains the loot/xp. People get annoyed and attack Weak person. Strong assassin kills all the weaker people except their friend.
    Option 3:
    Strong person kills mbs that weaker people want until they get sick of the game and quit or hit back. Stronger person kills weaker people and gets stronger. Weak person quits.

The corruption system is designed to prevent unwanted pvp, but can easily be abused to grief other players that are weaker than you leading to them making that fatal mistake out of frustration

Loki
    Um. If a weak person hits a stronger person and the stronger person hits them back, they will be both be flagged as combatants, so no Corruption. I don't see where the flaw is.

I don't see how a weak person can kill steal from others. How would that even work?

If someone were killing mobs that I want, I would go hunt somewhere else and return later.
    I don't see why that would make me sick of the game or want to quit.
  • Options
    Option 1:
    Option 2:
    Option 3:

Loki

This is a feature, not a flaw. When things like this happen, it creates player made content. It basically is the match, that lights the fuse, that creates the server drama needed for guild wars, castle sieges and so on. Stuff similar to this happened all the time L2 and you start to recognize the signs of things to come pretty quickly, which makes it easier to avoid all together.

The system is not designed to prevent unwanted PvP, it is designed to make sure unwanted PvP does not become a popular play style.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Option 1:
    Option 2:
    Option 3:

Loki

Millions of people played with this system and had 0 problems.
    If you dont have the balls to PK an annoying person that's your problem.

Also if you fall for the trick of beeing flagged by a bait character just so that a nearby assissin takes you out, that's your problem.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Yeah, you are right. In order to keep the economy strong, we should have the ability to summon a bounty hunter via a card or something paid for up front. That way PvPers get a challenging fight, the devs a money sink, and the economy a stabler crafting material pipeline. As we say in business. A win, win, win.