A suggestion for RP bounty hunting. Defeat instead of death. ( as a duel )

2»

Comments

• AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Grihm wrote: »
    Azherae wrote: »
    Think in terms of emotions and greed, not RP for the discussion in question, i.e. why no one seems to understand the purpose of your system. I'm definitely not saying it's a bad system, I'm asking you why anyone outside of RP should care about it.

Why would anyone bother doing anything you mentioned? Did the target lose anything (I'm assuming they at least get XP debt)? Are they less likely to do what they did again? What if the target wins? Who paid for the bounty? If the bounty is mostly paid by 'the node' or 'taxes', what's to stop people from abusing this to just generate money? You would have to make it worth the bounty hunter's time relative to any other target or activity.

Again, the entire point of KoS lists is 'counter-harassment'. If you remove that aspect of it, it's not worth doing outside of RP. If it costs a lot, you might as well go do it and take the Corruption too. That was the reason for the other thread's "Grudge of the Sworn Enemy" thing.

It is literally 'Here is a free pass to counter-harass someone once.'

But this IS for RP.
    People do different things. Some will PVP 24/7, some will never touch it.
    Why would some do what i mentioned? Why would someone do anything. I´ts a personal choice in the end.
    People think of it in too complicated terms. See it as a form of duel.... nothing complicated.

Why would anyone do a duel? Same thing there.

In that case, I genuinely apologize for getting involved and derailing this. It somehow wasn't clear to me that this was specifically for RP and that's my bad.

My 'expertise' if you can call it that is 'converting people's activities and motivations into game mechanics'. 'Facilitating and encouraging RP' is a whole other skillset which is applied separately. I'll hand this thread over to @JustVine in that case.

Good luck with your idea.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Grihm wrote: »
    But this IS for RP.
    Why would some do what i mentioned? Why would someone do anything. I´ts a personal choice in the end.
    People think of it in too complicated terms. See it as a form of duel.... nothing complicated.

The difference here is that you want a third party to commission and pay for the success of the duel and the loser of the duel to lose nothing. But if the winner of the duel kills the target in order to earn some money/loot without the third party, you suggest they receive corruption and are thus punished (if you say they would not receive corruption if they don't kill the target, this is what you suggest).

Do you see the difference between that and a duel? A duel has clear terms, a winner and a loser and even if nothing is gained/lost it at least doesn't follow some strange logic of who gets rewarded and who gets punished.
  • AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021
    Players with a high enough corruption score will be visible on the world and mini maps. These players will have markers posted on the map by an NPC from a Military node of at least stage 4 (Town), and will only be granted to players who have the Bounty hunter title.[12] The accuracy of bounty hunter maps is determined by a player's progression in the bounty hunter system.[7]

Taverns are one of the locations that bounties will be posted. As players gain corruption, taverns may offer bounties to eliminate those players; or have a specific area cleared of problem players, thus giving a POI (point of interest) on the world map.[13]
    Corrupted players may kill bounty hunters without acquiring additional corruption score.[8][9]

Corrupted player's combat penalties do not apply when battling bounty hunters.[8]
    Corruption penalties occur as the corruption is gained.[20] The higher the corruption score:

The more skill and stat dampening applies (lower health and mana, lower gear proficiency), until the corrupt player ultimately becomes ineffective at combat.[21] This dampening only affects PvP combat.[22]
    Corrupt players killing bounty hunters

Corrupted players potentially gain rewards for killing bounty hunters.[32]

A lot of quote from wiki because i feel some people here misunderstand what bounty hunting really is. (technically)

This is what bounty hunting is. An automatised system. directly bind to the amount of corruption anyone can have. People with enough corruption become automatically bounty hunting targets.
    The bounty hunter is a "non combatant" It means that any "combatant" who kills a bounty hunter gets corruption.
    Corrupted players can kill bounty hunters without taking corruption. And even more, while corruption gives some stats malus on PvP, it is not the case while finghint a bounty hunter (so "fair fight" ) And if the corrupted players win => potential reward.

Now, about the first post
    1) there is not a player setting a bounty on another. it is a system bind to corrupt system and is automatic.
    2) It is to make life of corrupted people even worse. Because they can be hunted easily (with the map in tavern showing where they are)
    3) Defeat but not dead = no malus from corruption = corruption useless.

This is the main point, the corruption. It is a system put in place to limit people to gank non stop "non combatant"... We know how people can become real cancer, killing anyone, anywhere, brainlessly. With corruption, you can do it. there is no way to be safe from PvP BUT those who craves for blood will be corrupted and risk their stuff. Suggesting way to not being corrupted in some cases, or not losing stuff while dying corrupted is just offering way to not have to suffer from corruption. . .

For the core idea "take the bounty but not killing" there is 2 things
    1) the corrupted stays corrupted, continue to be target from other bounty hunter, right he doesnt dies, but being focused by all bounty hunters can become... boring.
    2) the corrupted lose some corruption like if he died. ok good, ill call friends to bounty hunt me, and get rid easily of my corruption. faster than natural decrease, and without the risk to lose anything. => ready to kill more green people yay
  • GrihmGrihm Member
    Think in terms of emotions and greed, not RP for the discussion in question, i.e. why no one seems to understand the purpose of your system. I'm definitely not saying it's a bad system, I'm asking you why anyone outside of RP should care about it.

Why would anyone bother doing anything you mentioned? Did the target lose anything (I'm assuming they at least get XP debt)? Are they less likely to do what they did again? What if the target wins? Who paid for the bounty? If the bounty is mostly paid by 'the node' or 'taxes', what's to stop people from abusing this to just generate money? You would have to make it worth the bounty hunter's time relative to any other target or activity.

Again, the entire point of KoS lists is 'counter-harassment'. If you remove that aspect of it, it's not worth doing outside of RP. If it costs a lot, you might as well go do it and take the Corruption too. That was the reason for the other thread's "Grudge of the Sworn Enemy" thing.

But this IS for RP.

In that case, I genuinely apologize for getting involved and derailing this. It somehow wasn't clear to me that this was specifically for RP and that's my bad.

My 'expertise' if you can call it that is 'converting people's activities and motivations into game mechanics'. 'Facilitating and encouraging RP' is a whole other skillset which is applied separately. I'll hand this thread over to @JustVine in that case.

It seems it was a lot less complicated to fully explain it as an optional RP element. I have no intentions of altering any existing system, taking over any system etc etc. It was never said anywhere.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

But this IS for RP.

It seems it was a lot less complicated to fully explain it as an optional RP element. I have no intentions of altering any existing system, taking over any system etc etc. It was never said anywhere.

An RP feature still needs to either have no mechanical aspect to it, or needs to provide a specific mechanical function.

An example of each would be the ability to sit on a chair, and player housing.

Sitting in a chair does nothing. It is 100% RP. If Intrepid made it so sitting in a chair increased HP recovery speed, then all of a sudden they would need to pay attention to where every chair in the game was placed.

Player housing is an RP feature, but also offers up a mechanical aspect that isnt available in any other manner in the game - and is an essential aspect of the game.

I don't see how your suggestion even works as an RP device. If you wanted a player to attack another player, the "best" RP way to do that is to ask that player to do the thing you want, and offer them money.

The general idea makes much more sense being a feature with a specific mechanical function, rather than a feature for RP. Thing is, that specific function still needs to be correctly defined and identified as something that is beneficial to have, and then the idea needs its specific features to be considered with that specific function in mind.