Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mob/Boss Combat Interaction (plus a compromise for hybrid combat)

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ok @Cypher, please just have your non-vocal group become vocal.

I don't think we're going to continue having this conversation, and it's not likely to matter soon. This is one of the cases where Intrepid will make their stance clear enough in a bit.

The point is that we won't support your style of balance. Trying to come together for it is unproductive toward this.

Let's just do everything that doesn't rely on 'whether every class can block or not' since Intrepid hasn't even mentioned anything about blocking thus far in the first place.

Obviously, I'm not interested in discussing things with people who make out my friends to be 'whining' in the way you do.

Carry the torch for your group, and I'll carry the torch for mine. This may all be moot in 2 hours anyway.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    I did realize that I should clarify one thing quickly though.

You didn't play FFXI, so your interpretation of a specific thing from the Ashes Weapon page might not match ours.

We're used to 'Dual Wield animations are longer and your speed bonus for attacking with them, and therefore your DPS bonus for equipping two weapons, is only 5-10%'. So the gap between 'someone who equips a shield' and 'someone who equips an offhand' is that one gets 10% more damage and the other gets around 10% more defense.

So you can probably guess the interpretation of:

Dual wielding weapons will have its own progression based on the weapon types being dual wielded.[82]

is different on our side. I for one equip Shield in many situations where I could equip a second dagger, and there isn't even Active Block in that game.

That's all this is. A gap in terms of what power Shields have, particularly 'when Active Blocking'. I consider it a balance nightmare and don't even want Active Blocking to significantly reduce damage for any class, you consider it an essential part of balance.

We're not gonna agree on this one.

• Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Azherae wrote: »

I don't think we're going to continue having this conversation, and it's not likely to matter soon. This is one of the cases where Intrepid will make their stance clear enough in a bit.

The point is that we won't support your style of balance. Trying to come together for it is unproductive toward this.

Let's just do everything that doesn't rely on 'whether every class can block or not' since Intrepid hasn't even mentioned anything about blocking thus far in the first place.

Obviously, I'm not interested in discussing things with people who make out my friends to be 'whining' in the way you do.

Carry the torch for your group, and I'll carry the torch for mine. This may all be moot in 2 hours anyway.

I’m not going to push people who don’t care about forums, to talk on the forums. I’m talking for them like you were for your group before they decided to try dog-piling.

This whole thing was a completely pointless derail. There was no sense in us even having this discussion or the debate when we both want action combat and the purpose here was to bridge the gap between action and tab. We should never have delved into nitty gritty stuff without more to go on.

You’re reading wayyyy too much into my comment. I might not be delicate with my speech (shouldn’t have to be), but even if I was ‘meaning’ to harm someone, surely saying they’re whining about something ranks extremely low on the scale of what a person should be able to be offended by.

As for your second post, fine with me if we don’t agree, refer back to when I said we shouldn’t even be on this. I’m all for hybridizing the system if done right, and coming up with mob and boss mechanics and interactions as the original intention of the thread.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Cypher wrote: »

I’m not going to push people who don’t care about forums, to talk on the forums. I’m talking for them like you were for your group before they decided to try dog-piling.

This whole thing was a completely pointless derail. There was no sense in us even having this discussion or the debate when we both want action combat and the purpose here was to bridge the gap between action and tab. We should never have delved into nitty gritty stuff without more to go on.

You’re reading wayyyy too much into my comment. I might not be delicate with my speech (shouldn’t have to be), but even if I was ‘meaning’ to harm someone, surely saying they’re whining about something ranks extremely low on the scale of what a person should be able to be offended by.

As for your second post, fine with me if we don’t agree, refer back to when I said we shouldn’t even be on this. I’m all for hybridizing the system if done right, and coming up with mob and boss mechanics and interactions as the original intention of the thread.

I have no intention of conversing with you further for a while. You were specifically told that I was asking others not to do certain things, then it was explained to you that I, who have a role in a group, would have to consider the situation. Your perception that the situation is 'people trying to dogpile' is a level of ... let's call it 'sensitivity' that I find difficult to deal with. Players with feedback were holding back said feedback in order to allow me to continue discussion on your terms. That situation ended. If I'm misinterpreting your reaction and you aren't upset about that, you've misrepresented yourself considerably.

However, as nothing in particular has been revealed by the stream, and since my group no longer has any interest in continuing the situation in which they remain silent when opposing your concepts, I consider further direct interaction to be unproductive. This won't matter, since we aren't likely to have much of anything to say in the coming month, given the current stage of the development cycle.

EDIT: Stream clarified everything, I guess.

Sorry Cypher, see you at the next big 'Action-ish' MMO, alright? If I see one (or build one) I'll ping you.

• Options

Your perception that the situation is 'people trying to dogpile' is a level of ... let's call it 'sensitivity' that I find difficult to deal with. Players with feedback were holding back said feedback in order to allow me to continue discussion on your terms. That situation ended. If I'm misinterpreting your reaction and you aren't upset about that, you've misrepresented yourself considerably.

It is possible to point something out and not be offended by that something.

Sorry Cypher, see you at the next big 'Action-ish' MMO, alright? If I see one (or build one) I'll ping you.

Yeah, nice try. Steven didn't say the game is going tab, he said they're going with split body motion instead of root (bad decision but I can live with it) and sticking with the current GW2-but-slightly-better style of "hybrid" combat. It won't be perfect, but considering it's already essentially GW2 and yet still in Alpha with much more to be added and tweaked, it still might be something that can be entertaining.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    'Nice try'? I take it you're so self centered and paranoid that you haven't even read her reaction to the Q&A stream? She is no longer interested in working on it. If you want to go it alone, that's your own prerogative.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »
    'Nice try'? I take it you're so self centered and paranoid that you haven't even read her reaction to the Q&A stream? She is no longer interested in working on it. If you want to go it alone, that's your own prerogative.

No I have not read any reactions to the Q&A. I didn't realize it made me "self centered and paranoid" to not go seek out something I didn't know existed. I barely have time to be on here lately.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Strange how you quoted and replied to a reaction ("Steven didn't say the game is going tab, he said they're going with split body motion") with out reading it or realizing it existed.
  • Options
    Dygz please, I'm talking about this mystery post that JustVine is referring to. Unless Azherae's most recent post here in this thread is what's being considered a reaction to the stream. The way JustVine makes it sound is that Azherae has made some kind of post somewhere talking about the Q/A stream.
  • Options
    It is very clearly a reaction to the stream. You quoted her reaction and replied with a correction of what Steven said.
  • Options
    Not in the way Vine made it sound. It was the most soft and minor "reaction" imaginable
  • Options
    Azherae states her disappointment and says that because of that stream and because her group is now willing to participate in this thread, she's no longer interested in continuing the debate with you.

That you became defensive and combative about it is why JustVine replied the way she did. She's saying you were to self-involved to properly understand what Azherae wrote and why.
  • Options
    The way the post was written including the subject matter itself, and the way the final sentence came across is why I responded the way I did. I said "nice try" because the final sentence reads like a dismissal. Perhaps you're biased because you know her better apparently.
  • Options
    Sure, but... still you responded with a correction from the stream, so it's strange that you replied that you didn't see her react to the stream.
    I understand that you felt it was cynicism or however you want to label "nice try".

Even here, no need to be defensive...I'm just clarifying for you.
  • Options
    ...because it was made out like there was some other post with a proper reaction. The simple comment of "Sorry, better luck next time" essentially, I didn't think could possibly be what Vine was talking about. I'm trying to clarify for you, just as much as you're trying to clarify for me.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    It is very clearly a reaction to the stream. You quoted her reaction and replied with a correction of what Steven said.

@Dygz hmmm having watched the stream, I don't see exactly what the stream clarified 🤨 It seems like everything is the same except Intrepid leaning more towards split body animation due to feedback (a good decision imo). Could you help me understand as well?
    signature.png
  • Options
    ...because it was made out like there was some other post with a proper reaction. The simple comment of "Sorry, better luck next time" essentially, I didn't think could possibly be what Vine was talking about. I'm trying to clarify for you, just as much as you're trying to clarify for me.

To ease your and Dygz needless bickering, since you don't seem to know how to use the website to keep track of other people who were helping you (just click on their name, you can read their comments section for your own reference. Super easy.)

Since her initial response wasn't clear enough for you to take a hint apparently.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/comment/312144/#Comment_312144

You can learn more on her thoughts here.

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    People dont like restrictions even if it is improving the games balance. Good luck convincing them to be reasonable.
  • Options
    People dont like restrictions even if it is improving the games balance. Good luck convincing them to be reasonable.

Oh, morning George. Good to see you.

• Options

To ease your and Dygz needless bickering, since you don't seem to know how to use the website to keep track of other people who were helping you (just click on their name, you can read their comments section for your own reference. Super easy.)

Since her initial response wasn't clear enough for you to take a hint apparently.

Look you jackass, I know how to use the website. I immediately clicked on Azherae's name and was looking for the comment you mentioned AS SOON AS you mentioned there was one, because I genuinely wanted to see the post. I couldn't find it and because I have more important things to do than dig through every single post someone has made for the last couple days I stopped. Thanks for the link.
  • Options

Look you jackass, I know how to use the website. I immediately clicked on Azherae's name and was looking for the comment you mentioned AS SOON AS you mentioned there was one, because I genuinely wanted to see the post. I couldn't find it and because I have more important things to do than dig through every single post someone has made for the last couple days I stopped. Thanks for the link.

Your first reaction to someone going 'welp looks like things didn't work out. I will see you next time.' Was 'nice try'. Someone who was genuinely helping you and trying to understand your point of view. Paranoid.

Your second reaction was to throw out your opinion. Not even asking for her to clarify hers. Not even bothering to look for easily accessible information. You claim you looked for it AFTER I mentioned it (its on the first page and she has only been in two threads since stream.) But when it comes down to it your response wasn't to look or ask and understand why she felt a certain way. It was 'nice try'. Self centered.

I don't care how busy you have been. You have my sympathy on life being busy, but it's not an excuse for your anti-social behavior to someone who was working with you to help YOUR goals. Not even her own.

In my book you have shown yourself to be a person who dismisses the opinions of others above your own the moment you feel like you may be losing something on multiple occasions.

My condescending attitude comes from you being unwilling to put in a sliver of effort to someone who has put in plenty of effort for you and assume immediately in response to her saying 'I am done', she is what. Tricking you? What was 'nice try' supposed to mean? As her friend, you have earned my apathy.

Perhaps, Cypher, you are the jackass.

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    *And finally, a few things I thought of later in this thread that would be enough for me, and probably many others to feel good with the combat:

- Dedicated block (assigned to RMB for example) for weapons that make sense
    - Light and heavy attacks for basic attacking. Click for light, hold and release (or use a modifier like shift+LMB) for heavy.

I generally agree with OP, except for the light and heavy attacks part. A bit on the fence about active blocking, but if they can implement it in a way where it increases block chance instead, like a short term stance change, I would be for it.

As for the rest, yeah, mobs need to obey the hit box like we players do, absolutely. Let us circle-strafe the shit out of them if we can. And let them do the same to us!
  • Options

Your first reaction to someone going 'welp looks like things didn't work out. I will see you next time.' Was 'nice try'. Someone who was genuinely helping you and trying to understand your point of view. Paranoid.

Except that's NOT how it was worded, for the last time. And also for the last time, I don't know her like you apparently do so I have no idea if it was supposed to be facetious or not. When combined with the context of how our conversation had gone prior to that, it was perfectly reasonable to come to that conclusion.

Your second reaction was to throw out your opinion. Not even asking for her to clarify hers. Not even bothering to look for easily accessible information. You claim you looked for it AFTER I mentioned it (its on the first page and she has only been in two threads since stream.) But when it comes down to it your response wasn't to look or ask and understand why she felt a certain way. It was 'nice try'. Self centered.

Why exactly are you so butt hurt over my response to someone else? I threw out what Steven said and then you are correct I stated my opinion as to why I'm probably still going to play the game after what seemed like being dismissed. It's literally impossible for me to "prove" my claim that I did in fact look for where this was, but no I didn't click every single post she has made on every single thread over the last couple days, maybe that's something a forum dweller like yourself as time for, I'm so happy you have the luxury to sit there methodically clicking on peoples comments to find something that someone else claims exists.

In my book you have shown yourself to be a person who dismisses the opinions of others above your own the moment you feel like you may be losing something on multiple occasions.

Hmm, sounds like many, many other people on here. It's almost like the forum is full of people who don't agree and it creates discussion, debates, and arguments. Furthermore, the very person you're defending has dismissed the opinions of others and I'm sure you're guilty of it too. But I wouldn't know for sure because I'm not a forum stalker, and you can be sure I'm not going to dig through your comments on this one.

My condescending attitude comes from you being unwilling to put in a sliver of effort to someone who has put in plenty of effort for you and assume immediately in response to her saying 'I am done', she is what. Tricking you? What was 'nice try' supposed to mean? As her friend, you have earned my apathy.

You're so disgustingly biased it hurts. I've put in plenty of effort trying to bridge tab and action, and I've poured plenty of time and effort into discussing with Az so don't you sit here and insert your self-righteous little ass into this and say I've put in no effort. I've also acknowledged Azherae for what she has been doing and been thankful for it. As I covered above, response sounded extremely facetious and since we aren't friends and had just been arguing, why exactly would I be expected to take it any other way? You're even gaslighting how it was written. Apparently you're making me explain yet again that "nice try" was a response to being dismissed. A "not getting rid of me that easily" response.

Now, Vine, I hope this somehow helps you move on but in the case that it doesn't I'll be glad to continue this back and forth with you as long as you remember that I can't be as active as you so expect some late replies like this one :)
  • Options

Except that's NOT how it was worded, for the last time. And also for the last time, I don't know her like you apparently do so I have no idea if it was supposed to be facetious or not. When combined with the context of how our conversation had gone prior to that, it was perfectly reasonable to come to that conclusion.

Why exactly are you so butt hurt over my response to someone else? I threw out what Steven said and then you are correct I stated my opinion as to why I'm probably still going to play the game after what seemed like being dismissed. It's literally impossible for me to "prove" my claim that I did in fact look for where this was, but no I didn't click every single post she has made on every single thread over the last couple days, maybe that's something a forum dweller like yourself as time for, I'm so happy you have the luxury to sit there methodically clicking on peoples comments to find something that someone else claims exists.

Hmm, sounds like many, many other people on here. It's almost like the forum is full of people who don't agree and it creates discussion, debates, and arguments. Furthermore, the very person you're defending has dismissed the opinions of others and I'm sure you're guilty of it too. But I wouldn't know for sure because I'm not a forum stalker, and you can be sure I'm not going to dig through your comments on this one.

You're so disgustingly biased it hurts. I've put in plenty of effort trying to bridge tab and action, and I've poured plenty of time and effort into discussing with Az so don't you sit here and insert your self-righteous little ass into this and say I've put in no effort. I've also acknowledged Azherae for what she has been doing and been thankful for it. As I covered above, response sounded extremely facetious and since we aren't friends and had just been arguing, why exactly would I be expected to take it any other way? You're even gaslighting how it was written. Apparently you're making me explain yet again that "nice try" was a response to being dismissed. A "not getting rid of me that easily" response.

Now, Vine, I hope this somehow helps you move on but in the case that it doesn't I'll be glad to continue this back and forth with you as long as you remember that I can't be as active as you so expect some late replies like this one :)

Have a good day mate.

• Options

Have a good day mate.

Thanks, homie. You too.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    *And finally, a few things I thought of later in this thread that would be enough for me, and probably many others to feel good with the combat:

- Dedicated block (assigned to RMB for example) for weapons that make sense
    - Light and heavy attacks for basic attacking. Click for light, hold and release (or use a modifier like shift+LMB) for heavy.

I generally agree with OP, except for the light and heavy attacks part. A bit on the fence about active blocking, but if they can implement it in a way where it increases block chance instead, like a short term stance change, I would be for it.

As for the rest, yeah, mobs need to obey the hit box like we players do, absolutely. Let us circle-strafe the shit out of them if we can. And let them do the same to us!

I just think light and heavy attacks adds a little extra pizazz in between cooldowns, instead of just holding down left-mouse. I think you're going to have your way in regards to blocking, which I'm not a fan of but it is what it is.

Glad we agree on hit boxes, though based on Steven's wording I'm not sure if we can expect that. I guess we'll know when Alpha 2 comes along.