Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Monthly fee and microtransactions?

Comments

• Options
    @Atama Time will tell my friend, they already on the slippery slope with the cosmetic shop (some deem this as PTW) If when the games been out for a couple of years and you cant buy that lvl boost or the extra 26 slots of inventory space, we can both be happy in the knowledge I was soo wrong (and I hope for this).
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    JONTA wrote: »
    @Atama Time will tell my friend, they already on the slippery slope with the cosmetic shop (some deem this as PTW) If when the games been out for a couple of years and you cant buy that lvl boost or the extra 26 slots of inventory space, we can both be happy in the knowledge I was soo wrong (and I hope for this).
    People who deem a cosmetic shop as PTW are idiots. Don't worry about them, don't worry about people who insist the Earth is flat either. There will always be morons who live in their own reality, usually they are harmless and best ignored.

As for the rest, there is literally no reason for you to suggest that they will completely abandon the very core values of the game they designed, unless you are either trying to stir things up, or have some weird grudge. You are completely basing it on nothing.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Just going to say this. I would much prefer a box cost, subscription plus expansion fee if they removed micro transactions. People that insist that cosmetics don't affect gameplay is sniffing some fine copium.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    And I identify as a billionair and I would like my bank statement to change, reflecting my claim.
  • Options
    Orym wrote: »
    Just going to say this. I would much prefer a box cost, subscription plus expansion fee if they removed micro transactions. People that insist that cosmetics don't affect gameplay is sniffing some fine copium.

You are literally insane. And your use of the word "copium" reveals a lot about who you are, and goes a long way to explaining your point of view.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    People who deem a cosmetic shop as PTW are idiots. Don't worry about them, don't worry about people who insist the Earth is flat either. There will always be morons who live in their own reality, usually they are harmless and best ignored.

As for the rest, there is literally no reason for you to suggest that they will completely abandon the very core values of the game they designed, unless you are either trying to stir things up, or have some weird grudge. You are completely basing it on nothing.

This I will disagree on one persons idea of pay to win may not be another's so the the cosmetic shop is for some and not for others.

Just how can you say I have reason to suggest they will not abandon their plan , What proof do you have that they will stick to this plan? You have the same insight as I have just one mans word and we all know people change there minds economic change happens , this is what I am trying to get across .

As for stiring things up this is a forum to discuss differences, ideas our hopes and our dreads for the game, I think we should leave it here and agree to disagree
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Just how can you say I have reason to suggest they will not abandon their plan , What proof do you have that they will stick to this plan? You have the same insight as I have just one mans word and we all know people change there minds economic change happens , this is what I am trying to get across .

It's very simple. The game is marketed on having no P2W. That is one of the biggest draws of the game, one of the foundations for getting it put together in the first place from Kickstarter on. For them to change that would surely mean losing most of their customers. Since this is a business that needs customers, it would be absurd for them to do that.

You might as well post a picture of a frog and say that you have just as much reason to think that frog is magical and can fly and shoot lightning as I do that it doesn't, because neither of us can prove it. However, the burden of proof is on the person making the more extraordinary claim, as you are doing now.

Let's put it another way... The only way that what you are suggesting would come to pass is if the game is in such desperate shape that it's already dead. Which means it's a moot point. Your argument is essentially that the game might fail. To which I would say, of course it might. In fact, it's pretty much inevitable that it will some day; MMORPGs don't last forever, nothing does. Whether they go P2W, go F2P, sell it off to some company like Daybreak to pick off its bones, or just shut the servers down and say "Thanks for everything people," at that stage it's pretty much irrelevant.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Just how can you say I have reason to suggest they will not abandon their plan
    You have a choice.

Believe what Intrepid say, or do nto believe what Intrepid say.

If you do not believe what Intrepid say at all, what are you even doing here? If you do not believe what they are saying, then you have no reason to assume this game will even release as an MMO - or that it even exists.

When it comes to definitive statements from Intrepid, if you are here, you take them at face value.
  • Options
    JontaJonta Member
    edited November 2021
    I'm here because I hope they do as they say same as many , but I know businesses and people and that my friend is why I have that doubt pecking away in the back of my head.

I really hope I'm proven wrong and only time will tell..
  • Options
    Free to play is a terrible idea. It allows gold sellers to create trials to bot and advertise. Look at world of warcraft. Paying for expansions is a terrible idea. If you don't want the new content, you still have to pay. All you have to do is pay a monthly subscription to play this game. Steven has said if you are worried about the game, wait till it comes out, you don't have to preorder. If you wish to preorder and help develop the game in alpha or beta you can. The shop is cosmetics only. There is no pay to win in the game. You can craft your items, obtain mounts, and get obtain housing.

For those who argue against cosmetics you need to understand that creating outfits does take time and resources to draw the items. You have to pay the artists. I believe Steven said that you can still get good transmogs from playing the game. He said that it wouldn't be fair if only the good-looking items were on the shop. I think it would be great if the developer let fans in the community also share drawings and concepts. I think the advantage of this is that if would let the company find new talent. If the company did profit sharing with the fan, it would be a win-win solution. I create artwork for an awesome weapon. The company puts it on the shop. It sells for $10. They give me $3 and keep $7. Just an idea Intrepid.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    profk wrote: »
    Note: Of the two I much prefer a simple monthly fee. Microtransactions IMO have ruined the MMORPG space.
    Name one AAA MMO that only has a subscription fee and nothing else.
    Wow did for a decade. And does it matter? Your lack of moral fortitude doesn’t mean the rest of us just accept what crap we’re given.
  • Options
    Note: Of the two I much prefer a simple monthly fee. Microtransactions IMO have ruined the MMORPG space.
    Wow did for a decade. And does it matter? Your lack of moral fortitude doesn’t mean the rest of us just accept what crap we’re given.

Wow had box prices for every expansion.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options

As pointed out above, WoW has always had at least two revenue streams - subscription and box cost.

But hey, if you have the moral fortitude to play again, by all means, find another AAA MMO that only has a subscription fee and nothing else.
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »

Good. Much prefer that than MTX. Any gamer would.
  • Options

No, any gamer would want access to the game. Having a shop that has no pay to win at all is perfectly fine for any gamer. No box cost simply means a lower barrier to entry to the game.

The people that are not happy with purchased cosmetics are the people that think MMO's are some fashion show - not gamers.
  • Options

So your logic is all gamers want to pay for mandatory box costs rather than optional micro transactions. You think people prefer being forced to buy things instead of being able to choose whether they want to buy something unnecessary to play.

You think that players prefer that despite the fact that games do that less often. Game developers have abandoned the old model for a less-attractive one because… They don’t like to make money? They got tired of attracting customers? Help me out here, what’s your reasoning to explain why the industry has decided to overwhelmingly go against what “any player” would prefer in your wisdom. I’m eager to read this.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited December 2021
    You’re clearly not a ‘real gamer,’ @Atama.

Whatever that is… 🙄
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    We all know, the only place to find a real gamer in an MMO is on the catwalk.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Do your little turn on the catwalk...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mtclwloEQ
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, I was going to add one more line to my previous post.

Yeah, on the catwalk.
  • Options
    Man you know what? Why stop at cash shop cosmetics? I only want to pay $1 a month with no box fee. $1/month with millions of players is millions a month! that should totally cover all of the expenses of staffing for this game and for future content development.

-all said with extreme sarcasm-
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    I’m too sexy for this thread.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    I’m too sexy for this thread.

a4CEwhl.gif
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Man you know what? Why stop at cash shop cosmetics? I only want to pay $1 a month with no box fee. $1/month with millions of players is millions a month! that should totally cover all of the expenses of staffing for this game and for future content development.

Maybe we can get the government to pay for all this and have it be free. I am pretty sure if you make a good case to the right politician about how MMORPGs help stop the spread of Covid we could get the Ashes budget in the billions via taxpayer money.
    XD
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

Maybe we can get the government to pay for all this and have it be free. I am pretty sure if you make a good case to the right politician about how MMORPGs help stop the spread of Covid we could get the Ashes budget in the billions via taxpayer money.
    XD

vqqWqaG.gif
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    SeriousSerious Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The op could have just bought a lifetime sub-account during the Kickstarter :P.
  • Options
    Serious wrote: »
    The op could have just bought a lifetime sub-account during the Kickstarter :P.

This is the kind of post that causes people to demand Intrepid reintroduce lifetime subs.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

XD

If only we could get the funding without the red tape.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    rikardp98rikardp98 Member
    edited December 2021
    We all know, the only place to find a real gamer in an MMO is on the catwalk.

Why are you devaluing some peoples play style? Yeah some people like to pvp, some people like to play the economy in games, some people like PvE, some people like gathering and professions, and some people like to collect mounts and gear for the looks. None is better or worse than the other.

I play MMOs for PvE (high end raids) and some pvp. But I also like to collect items to look "cool" and have rare mounts. And if I can buy cool mounts (skins or not) that devalues my achievement or feel of looking "cool" in a gear set.

Example. I spend month trying to get a specific piece of gear to fit my gear set. While some random dude buys a really cool looking set from the store. If I where to stand next to this random player with a shop cosmetics, who would get the most attention from random players? Probably the shop cosmetics since it was made to look cool so people would buy it. That devalues me from playing what could have been a huge part of the game.
  • Options
    rikardp98rikardp98 Member
    edited December 2021
    Let people buy the game ($50-$60), get a month free subscription, then after that have a monthly subscription of like $15 to $10 depending on the how many months you pay for. Then when you release a new expansion or something similar, let us pay for that expansion and sell limited edition pack with goodies (like books and a statue or something).