Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Hot Take: Why waste time on races no one is going to care about?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I thought the whole reason for no race change and no name change was so that players can have a server identity. When you can just change your name and race, you effectively become a new person. A shitty reputation can be removed with a new name and appearance.

Which is why the racial skins have always confused me. Like I was saying before, Intrepid is half assing this philosophy. The racial skins is essentially a limited race change. It would be more constant with their own design goals to just not do racials, and not sale any more racial cosmetics.

Keep the choice of race something that is only done once at character creation, but not have any stats or abilities that can affect the meta. This way everyone still gets to make the hard choice once. The handful of angels, demons and what not out there will still exist, but since everyone can still choose from a pool of looks without having to worry about what race makes the best "X" class. Everyone wins.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I thought the whole reason for no race change and no name change was so that players can have a server identity.

Nah, no race change is a mechanics thing.

If they are going to add race specific quests, things either get messy or get hampered if you allow race changes.

No name change was an identity thing.

I can't see how a person would ever tie a person's in game look to their identity. I know I never have - its too easy to change how characters look to do that.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Noaani wrote: »
    I can't see how a person would ever tie a person's in game look to their identity. I know I never have - its too easy to change how characters look to do that.

I notice these things. Even in FFXIV where some people change their race/class all the time, I notice when someone is a different race/class than the last time I have seen them. Even people I don't even know, if the name is something that catches my eye then I bet I know what race/class that player was the last time I seen them.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don’t like the idea of being able to change to another player race. Changing into an ice elemental or angel or something is one thing, because we know that you can’t actually make a character of that race. But I’m not comfortable with an orc turning into an elf, for example.

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png

Though there is precedent. I remember as far back as EQ, the Enchanter class could change their race. And that was a game where certain races were murdered by NPC guards when they went to the wrong city. But that was a temporary thing from a spell and it had limits.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Atama wrote: »
    I don’t like the idea of being able to change to another player race. Changing into an ice elemental or angel or something is one thing, because we know that you can’t actually make a character of that race. But I’m not comfortable with an orc turning into an elf, for example.
    I don't like it either.

But then, I also don't like the idea of someone in a full suit of plate armor, holding a sword and shield standing off in the distance casting fireballs at me.

Or even better, someone in that same full suit of armor, holding that same sword and shield, somehow being able to go stealth and be undetected as they walk up right behind me and backstab me.
  • Options
    RazThemunRazThemun Member
    edited December 2021
    Think it will largely depend on what they plan lore wise. It also gives that option of playing a race with different ideologies. If there was only 1 elf option or 1 dwarf option...players would complain they only have one option for that race. It is a lose lose situation really, give a player no choice they complain, give them a choice and they then don't like the choices offered or that they can't do both. Just pick a race you like to play and focus on that. Stop worrying about if another group only has maybe 1000 players interested in that option.