Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Class fantasy

14567810»

Comments

• ThornyDevilThornyDevil Member
    edited January 2022
    Dygz wrote: »
    Hmmn.
    Yeah. It will be interesting to see the different kinds of Summons available to a Warlock.
    But also will be fascinating to see what a Shaman Summons vs what a Warlock Summons.

Well as teh shaman would be a cleric primarly then I expect them to be playing more around life and death so maybe spirits? Using death/Voodoo magic with the same spells as the cleric but only with a whitish hue instead of the yellow.

As per the warlock it would be a mage first so I would expect them to expand on the void theme that mages cast during their blink. Their spells could have the same purple and it could be seen as forbidden magic because too unstable and dangerous.

Just tailoring spell colours could already give you a better feel for a subclass independently from the augment system.

I wasn't too impressed so far by the spells expect a few but I think the mage was the most underwhelming. During a presentation of the classes by 1 youtuber, he said "the fireball is well as you'd expect... just your standard fireball". I don't know at what point mages just became elementalists by default but it would have been refreshing to see a "spammable" be a little different from all your standard MMOs.

Of all classes, mages should be the least restricted archetype in terms of creativity. They can manipulate time and space, they can create and move objects/obstacles/illusions, they draw their power from the arcane. So imo the lil fireball is just meh. Been there, done that. All their spells kinda felt "reheated". Even for their kamehameha.

On the other hand, the cleric whip is really awesome. It really fits the theme of castigation by the light and I feel it fits them much better than DKs in ESO.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah, but Summoner can Summon three types of pets.
    Shaman might be Summoning possessed animals as well as spirits? Hopefully, it's more than just a a change in hue.
    We have to think about what the 4 Summoner augment schools might be. And then about what might happen when the augments from those 4 schools are applied on top of Cleric Active Skills.

Rogue appears to have Shadow magic since a lot of the associated class names include Shadow. I'm expecting Shadow to be a damage type similar to Holy or Elemental.
    Could be that Mages also have some form of Void damage.
    I'm expecting Warlocks to be able to Summon demonic Cleric-like minions that can siphon health. But. I'm also expecting some form of demonic Tank-like minion and some form of demonic DPS-like minion.

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I wasn't too impressed so far by the spells expect a few but I think the mage was the most underwhelming. During a presentation of the classes by 1 youtuber, he said "the fireball is well as you'd expect... just your standard fireball". I don't know at what point mages just became elementalists by default but it would have been refreshing to see a "spammable" be a little different from all your standard MMOs.
    I felt the same way until I played one. I was 100% interested in Tank. But Mage was so fun, the spells worked well in combination together and looked great. Actually playing Alpha turned me into a Mage fan and I’m planning on my main being one.

Hhak63P.png
  • iccericcer Member
    edited March 2022
    This is a topic that really interests me, and I really hope they do get it right, as it's a key part for me in an MMORPG.
    What I've got so far is that your primary class is basically your role and identity. If you pick a tank, your job is to tank. If you pick a mage, you're a magic ranged dps. You get it. Your subclass alters your abilities, so in an example of Tank + Cleric, we get a Paladin (Tank that has some "holy" abilities, shields and maybe a self heal). I very much like it, but I have some concerns, or rather questions, and even suggestions.

My question is in what way and how much does it alter your primary class' abilities? I do remember a thing about Charge ability, how it would turn into a blink with a mage subclass. Makes sense.

But let's get another example.

Summoner + Mage = Spellmancer

It would make sense that instead of the usual summons, this class should summon different types of elementals that will focus on damage, maybe Fire elemental puts a dot, Ice elemental has freezes, etc.

How much would other abilities be changed, both visually and in the terms of what they actually do?
    In the example above, other than having elemental summons, other abilities should also change a bit, adding some magic or elemental touch to them both visually and mechanically (applying burn, freezes or something).

Also what would be the difference between Spellmancer and Warlock (Mage + Summoner)? When I think of a Warlock, I think of dark magic, so the mage would turn its elemental spells into some sort of dark + maybe fire magic. But Mage not having summons, how would the summoner part be integrated? Maybe the Meteor Storm spell (Summons forth a Meteor Storm, dropping 3 meteors in the target location.) would instead change into some sort of a short time summon or something?

Is every class going to have it's own, unique, changed set of abilities? That seems like a lot of work, both in terms of designing those classes and in terms of balance.

How do different weapons and gear actually impact this? Am I correct when I say that you can't slot weapon skills, but they act more as passives?

I have so many ideas about how different class combinations could look, but I'd really like to make sure if they're actually going to work in the way I'm thinking.