Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will AoC incorporate any blockchain technologies?

Comments

• Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Chillmaw wrote: »
    Correct me if im wrong but arnt blockchains essentially ledgers that are constantly checked by computer/servers to make sure their authentic, making them very energy instensive?

What exactly are the benefits of using blockchain for what your suggsting instead of just chucking a 20 at developer to send you a copy of your character profiles/files associated with items? You get a line of code to reminisce over and can upload to whatever will accept it, without creating a energy/money pit.

I believe the answer is legitimacy which is what could create this situation where someone might accept it.

If you just said here are my files from another game, there would be no reason to trust you. You could either have a copy of someone else's or you could have modified the files. The idea of blockchain is that it is something that could be used as proof.

At least that is my understanding.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah, a blockchain can act like a digital certification of authenticity.

Digital files can be duplicated, so it's difficult to determine what the "real" version of a file is. That's what makes NFTs valuable. I linked to an article about NFTs earlier, it's worth a read if you're curious. (It's not extremely long and tries to simplify it.)

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/22310188/nft-explainer-what-is-blockchain-crypto-art-faq

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    If it would help prevent item/gold duping issues like NW had, then toss-in the tech if the overhead isn't too high. Since AoC upgraded to UE5 to slow future obsolesce, maybe the ledger aspect will have a future use not yet contemplated 5-10 years ahead like the OP implied. But, I'm leery of blockchain tech because the exchanges seem to be hackable so maybe AoCs' implementation could be exploited anyway and the security aspect null and void.

Bigger brains need to figure this out but the topic is broached at a good time, when something could be done while the programmers make lots of spaghetti.
  • Options
    SirChancelotSirChancelot Member
    edited January 2022
    Is it bad to want to just play a game and not want any of that extra stuff?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Is it bad to want to just play a game and not want any of that extra stuff?

Not at all.
  • Options
    ChillmawChillmaw Member
    edited January 2022
    I mean, if you just want something to hang on to as a memento for a shutdown game, why does legitimacy matter?

If its so it can be used in another game then why not use redemption codes or an account share feature? Since any game of note that allowed it would mostly likely be keeping it within games made by the company/ publisher etc, because playing AOC on a draenei dual wielding Ysgramors axe of racism and wearing [insert popular ffx armour set] just aint happening.

If its so people can make a profit then why do not do it the way steam does it

Atama wrote: »
    Yeah, a blockchain can act like a digital certification of authenticity.

Digital files can be duplicated, so it's difficult to determine what the "real" version of a file is. That's what makes NFTs valuable. I linked to an article about NFTs earlier, it's worth a read if you're curious. (It's not extremely long and tries to simplify it.)

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/22310188/nft-explainer-what-is-blockchain-crypto-art-faq

NFTs "value" comes from a group of friends constantly selling the same nft to each other until some dumbass outside the group buys it, because it sure as hell aint their "authenticity" thats making them valuable

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If you want something to 'hang on' to game memories, fill up a folder with screenshots.

Free and easy.
  • Options
    I actually do have some screenshots from games I’ve played. So I can remember what some of my favorite characters were like.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Yeah a screenshot is far superior as a memento than a digital reciept.

If you kept the food reciepts after going out for a nice meal people would think you had a hoarding problem

• Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah a screenshot is far superior as a memento than a digital reciept.

If you kept the food reciepts after going out for a nice meal people would think you had a hoarding problem

OP's idea is slightly different.

To use your example, it's like OP went fine dining, and as part of the dining package, he got a limited edition crystal swan memento - that's the kind of stuff someone would buy.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I see it more as collectible cards. Yes, there would be common ones but there could also be rare ones which some people might value.
  • Options
    Virtual beanie babies. Its just another form of the same old scheme for people to gamble on with get rich quick schemes. The only people succeeding at it are lucky or have a large amount of capital to gamble with in the first place.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    You can use blockchain for nonfungible trades. The records can be shared, but not traded. So, if your rich you can spend 69 million dollars to buy a digital painting. Here is an example.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/11/976141522/beeple-jpg-file-sells-for-69-million-setting-crypto-art-record

As some people have mentioned because of mining for crypto currency using video cards which are great at doing the math, there has been a shortage of high-end video cards. That and some manufacturing issues with Covid and resources to make the video cards has caused the prices to jump. Instead of the Geforce 3080 and 3090 going for $700-$1,000 they are going for $2,000-$3,000 when they can be found.
  • Options
    Yeah I’m so glad I got a nice GeForce card a year ago when prices had temporarily stabilized and there was a good Black Friday deal.

But I literally watched prices regularly for a couple years before swooping in when I finally saw a deal. It’s insane.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Let the thread die..
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022
    Anyone wanna buy my picture of a dog smoking a cigar? 10k. Also have monkeys chilling on a yacht, 50k. Buy now before it's too late.

No I can't show you it because then you'll just right click and save image as. But it's fya though believe
  • Options
    Okeydoke wrote: »
    No I can't show you it because then you'll just right click and save image as. But it's fya though believe

With NFTs it doesn’t matter. A downloaded picture is meaningless, but if someone has the blockchain verification then they have the “real” picture and have proof of ownership.

It’s like owning a Picasso, everyone else just has pictures of it.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Yeah I know. You'd own the rights to it for use in any business or legal matter. But that doesn't stop a million other people around the world from right clicking and saving image and then they possess the image for their own use. And then you'd have to sue dozens, or hundreds, or thousands of individual people to stop them from using your picture of monkeys on a yacht lol.

And there's a difference between owning a Picasso and just a copy of a Picasso, versus owning an NFT or a copy of an NFT. With a real, tangible item like a Picasso, you own the actual piece, you own the canvas his hand was resting against while he painted it, you own the actual intricate strokes of paint on the canvas.

With a digital picture of monkeys on a yacht, the right click save image as file is functionally the same as the original NFT. They're both just digital files of the same thing.
  • Options
    With a digital picture of monkeys on a yacht, the right click save image as file is functionally the same as the original NFT. They're both just digital files of the same thing.

If your argument is that NFTs are stupid you’ll get no argument from me. :)

It’s the modern day pet rock.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    The one person I know that is very into NFT's also believes the earth is flat.

That said, some manifestations of NFT's will hold and maintain value and have use cases. It's just right now there's a lot of hysteria and a lack of critical thinking that is driving certain NFT markets. It's in it's infancy and has a lot of maturing to do. But I do believe elements of NFT's have a future, much bigger than the average NFT fanboy can even see.
  • Options
    HasilHasil Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    Let's just hope they can make a great game without complicating it by adding NFTs/blockchain/etc.
  • Options
    Let the thread die..

abandon-thread.gif
  • Options
    BoanergeseBoanergese Member
    edited January 2022
    The one person I know that is very into NFT's also believes the earth is flat.

That said, some manifestations of NFT's will hold and maintain value and have use cases. It's just right now there's a lot of hysteria and a lack of critical thinking that is driving certain NFT markets. It's in it's infancy and has a lot of maturing to do. But I do believe elements of NFT's have a future, much bigger than the average NFT fanboy can even see.

The earth is flat. Beware the Sea Monsters.

img.jpg?width=1200&coordinates=0%2C7%2C0%2C7&height=600
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022
    Didnt read past first page, sorry if i repeat things already said
    I've played hundreds of games over the years, dozens and dozens of MMORPGs since 1980s, and all that history is gone. Not one item can I show you, that demonstrates that I was there, I had an impact, people knew me and what I accomplished. Those games are gone, and so are all those memories.

Memories are gone ? Or because the game doesn't deserve to be remembered, or you have personnal memory problem.

I have memories of my beginings in MMORPG on everquest,
    I have memories of those long time, day, night, raid, in WoW. or Aion before 3.0 or FFXIV or GW2
    I have memories of the first time i tried BDO, 30 min where i tried too much to understand the 23978 skills my sorc did learn to leave. And i have memories when i came back for the Dark Knight. Memories in tera and BNS in which i came with friends.
    And i am not a guy doing numerous screenshot, but i memories for all these, good and bad time. (and some small screenshots)
    I spoke here only about MMORPG where i have most memories if i list all game i have good, enjoyable memories, i will spend a whole day doing it !

on wow i changed server, and with the merge, some people now find me back, my character never changed, i was really activ in community in my serv during BC and early WOTLK, and people remember me... while not always remembering them for some. No blockchain, not a glorious name but people remembered my characters.

Sometime, while speaking on a discord server or another, i discover people who played those game or others. We don't need proof the other did got this item or manage to kill this boss... And mostly because the discussion gives a lot hint. And most people enjoyed the game enough the way they played, having enough fun with friends to not want to pretend more.

In real life i did many things, i have not any proof, there were picture, i have no one of them but memories are there and again, and with the friend i did those things, we can speak about those memories, speaking about how stupid we were.

I promised to log in Aion, WoW, FFXIV and GW2 servers the day the service will end. Because yes, this will happen, and one day, Ashes of Creation will close its server. YES even on Aion which became a really big piece of smelly shit... Because... memories...
    in french we say "toutes les bonnes choses ont une fin" translated into "All good things get an end".
    So goes for MMORPGs. I have no proof i had the 280% mount speed before sunwell release (clearly not everyone managed it) and i don't need it, the memory of how happy i was is enough. No proof i killed C'thun and 7 naxx bosses during vanilla, cleaning Dark Poeta S rank, or Beshmundir Hard path. All ARR boss before the nerfs. And when spoke about it, never anyone said "prove it !"

This was for the "i want, after the game end, proof and memories of what i did" : it existed yesterday without blockchained. So Blockchain is far from needed for it.

Companies are full of greed, it is their job to get always more money. And it is rarely from quality, but more way to get money.
    You linked what matsuda said for new year... Square Enix, one of the greediest companies, with no respect to players. and the first words are full of meaning about blockchained in video games : "Square Enix president says not everyone wants to play video games for fun--some want to play games to earn money."

"look with our game, you do your hobby and get money come play ! " yes... will be fun to see even more people going to precarity just because they hoped to get enough money while playing, and finally losing all fun they had in game... If you know professional gamer, or musician, you know that those hobby are their work, and sometime, they need a break... A hobby have to remain hobby. if you want to get money from it, "live from your passion" you can... many tried, most failed, and those who manages are not living a perfect life because sometime, they have to take a break, or stop loving those hobbies.

Also, with such pandora's box, we don't know yet how far companies will go... and don't hope them to go far for "gamer enjoyment".

A last thing :
    If you spend 1 hour working on the blockchain, it is 1hour you don't spend in writing story, balancing class, creating assets, etc. If you recruit one guy to work on it, it is one guy less to do anything else Anything more useful for game quality. For AoC, for Silksong, For anygame not even announced yet, not even imagined yet. I want always more money in the game quality, than in the blockchain to get money, for memories... I want to enjoy the game, not getting money from it. Because the more i enjoy the game, the more i am happy while playing , and the more memories i will have after.

We should focus on asking gaming companies what remains priority : the game itself quality !

Let games be game. and just it...
  • Options
    ElwendryllElwendryll Member
    edited January 2022
    Hello, young graduate in cybersecurity here, I had a few classes about cryptography and the blockchain, so I have some light understanding on the subject.

I sympathize with you, your perspective is very interesting and reasonable. An example I like to give is the anime Sword Art Online, the players actually own their items and characters, they even have the ability to transfer their avatars from a game to an other within the "Seed".
    Nowadays when you sign the ToS of a MMO, it basically states that your account is just lent to you and nothing you have has any monetary value.

Even something small like the ability to "store" and visualize your items/characters/achievements, out of the game, and after it expires, could be a neat application without any market attached to it.

Companies like Square Enix publicly announcing that they will work on using blockchain in their media should be big enough for people to start taking it seriously. Maybe it will not evolve the way you predict, and maybe blockchain will never make it into mainstream gaming, but that's not a reason not to consider it. You can implement blockchain in a system without exploiting it or attaching a market to it, and if it turns out gaming doesn't go that direction, you don't have to exploit it, but at least you would not be left behind if it turns out to become the norm.

That being said, it's still a significant amount of work, and that's far from being the priority in the current climate of gaming, add in the general negative perception of NFT, and you get answers that are far from constructive. I can't blame anyone, seeing how the NFTs are being used currently and all the negative press around it, it's not surprising that people are vehemently opposed to anything remotely linked to it, even if they don't really understand how all of this work, it's very complex after all.

I will take a look at Gala, because I was curious if there was any clean application of blockchain in games, I've had no interest in it because I assumed they were all like stereotypical "gacha" games, a "gameplay" built around a monetization system...

Despite the subject being interesting, I'm glad to see Intrepid has no plan regarding the blockchain so far. Even if the technology has potential, it has many dark aspects, the energy usage and the GPU shortage being the top two that come to mind.

I trust that intrepid will make an awesome game, and regardless of how prevalent the blockchain may become in gaming, if the game is good, people will keep playing. If they announced they were riding the blockchain hype train like other companies, it would actually erode my confidence in them, it's way too soon.
  • Options
    I tried to read everything before posting but there was too much so I just skimmed. I think that this game could do well with blockchain "houses/properties". In the real world, some countries are putting their land/properties onto the blockchain (such as the Republic of Georgia). This makes it centralized for the government to know who owns what and how to tax people appropriately. If nodes, cities and houses in game are volatile and not permanent (due to the ability for them to be destroyed), the allowance of purchasing someone's land for sale through the blockchain makes sense to me. The game developers would be able to cash in on this real world sale and lucky/or/skilled players in game could cash out, if not for real world currency, then for in game currency or in a currency that they can then spend in the cosmetic shop!
    Just my two cents.
    FFXI 75 cap 2003-2010. Diabolos Server. Amaeru/Amaera. 9 jobs to 75: WHM BLM RDM THF WAR DRK DRG BRD. SAM60 SMN60 PLD60. NIN37 MNK 37. Gilgamesh: Truther DNC75. Wish I got to play BLU!
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022
    I completely understand wanting to keep mementos from games and the ability to put them on display somewhere. A website, a stand-alone 3D client of sorts maybe.

However, what are you really getting with an NFT from a game? You aren't buying the specific piece of artwork associated with it. The company will never sell or give that and lose the right to use it. All you are getting is a name in a ledger that you acquired a certain item in the game. The company can disallow any option for you to show this item off with the original visual representation, if they choose, because they fully own that visual representation from the game. In fact, they might have to disallow it or lose future copyright cases.

There are currently no laws supporting NFTs, and consumers have no rights at all. Maybe international laws will exist in the future, but until then I would suggest all game companies (and all people in general) stay away from this, unless they like the lawless wild west nature of it and can afford being scammed.
  • Options
    ElwendryllElwendryll Member
    edited January 2022
    Nerror wrote: »

There are currently no laws supporting NFTs, and consumers have no rights at all. Maybe international laws will exist in the future, but until then I would suggest all game companies (and all people in general) stay away from this, unless they like the lawless wild west nature of it and can afford being scammed.

Regulations for Blockchain are being made. South Korea removed NFT games from Apple and Google's app stores, the US is slowly working on new regulations and they've been calling experts to give their inputs, because the cryptocurrency market is worth more than $1T...

It will come at some point, but it will probably take some time, also, the way laws are being made is very "reactive", it's easier for companies to start doing whatever they want, and then adapt to the laws when they do pass.
  • Options
    Elwendryll wrote: »
    Nerror wrote: »

Regulations for Blockchain are being made. South Korea removed NFT games from Apple and Google's app stores, the US is slowly working on new regulations and they've been calling experts to give their inputs, because the cryptocurrency market is worth more than $1T...

It will come at some point, but it will probably take some time, also, the way laws are being made is very "reactive", it's easier for companies to start doing whatever they want, and then adapt to the laws when they do pass.

That sounds like an absolute nightmare. Could you imagine Intrepid having to dramatically change or even shut down Ashes to comply with new laws because they decided to implement NFTs to attract a tiny number of players interested in a technological novelty? That would be insane.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited January 2022
    Elwendryll wrote: »
    it's easier for companies to start doing whatever they want, and then adapt to the laws when they do pass.
    For a company mass producing mobile games, sure.

For a company producing one of the most complex pieces of entertainment software available, that takes a decade to produce and hundreds of millions of dollars, doing this just sounds like a really bad business decision.

Like, REALLY bad.