Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Inspecting players and/or trying out someone else's gear

Hello,
Did they state anywhere that inspecting others and trying out someone's gear so you will be able to check how your character would look in other's gear/weapons.

Comments

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022
    Hi there, they recently had a dev discussion about it: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/51268/dev-discussion-35-character-inspection

We have not heard what they intend to do about it though. They have previously stated they did not want players to be able to do inspect others gear, but then they made this discussion to ask for feedback, so now we don't know.

Edit: Specifically about being able to see how another characters gear would look on you through inspection, has not been mentioned at all I think.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Also, it fits with their stance on no gearscore and dps meters due to the negatives they bring to the community outweighing the positive. You will be able to get a tactical idea of what gear someone is wearing based on type and tier. But you won't be able to see specific pieces or their paperdoll. This is to stop raid leaders and others gatekeeping content by telling people to "line up to be inspected, everyone not wearing what we consider the 'correct' gear gtfo now!"
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited January 2022
    Also, it fits with their stance on no gearscore and dps meters due to the negatives they bring to the community outweighing the positive. You will be able to get a tactical idea of what gear someone is wearing based on type and tier. But you won't be able to see specific pieces or their paperdoll. This is to stop raid leaders and others gatekeeping content by telling people to "line up to be inspected, everyone not wearing what we consider the 'correct' gear gtfo now!"

Can we have the same thing with achievements?

I mean, restricting everything they are restricting in the name of inclusivity is literally pointless if people can just ask to see achievement.

Which is exactly what they will do.
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Spitballing but I would be cool if the "inspect" was proximity based. Closer you are the more details you can see. That way you can show off "x sword" to your buddy in town but when an enemy sees you in the distance they can't just instantly assess you
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Noaani wrote: »

I mean, restricting everything they are restricting in the name of inclusivity is literally pointless if people can just ask to see achievement.

We don't know yet that achievements will even be linkable to chat. There are always discussions ongoing and things are not set, but if you are looking for constant [Anal] Thunderfury, Blessed....... spam to fill channels, doubt you are going to get it. Just because WoW has gone the route of GS/RaiderIO/Achievement linking does not mean Ashes will do the same. Or they could go the route of FF14, and those that do ask for meters to be run or do exclusive behavior based off of not willing to show your jangly bits could be a report action.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

We don't know yet that achievements will even be linkable to chat. There are always discussions ongoing and things are not set, but if you are looking for constant [Anal] Thunderfury, Blessed....... spam to fill channels, doubt you are going to get it. Just because WoW has gone the route of GS/RaiderIO/Achievement linking does not mean Ashes will do the same. Or they could go the route of FF14, and those that do ask for meters to be run or do exclusive behavior based off of not willing to show your jangly bits could be a report action.

I wouldn't expect to see WoW type situations with linking achievements.

However, if there is a piece of content that is somewhat hard, and has an achievement associated with it that awards a title, for example, you had better believe people will ask to see that title before letting an unknown player on to harder content.

I don't see Intrepid going the FFXIV route with this. It really is the cowards way out, and is far too easy to get around. Honestly, we want a screenshot of the whole raid with the same title, cooperate for the screenshot or don't come.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited January 2022
    I think there’s an irreducible human element to establish expectations, reinforce some measurable baseline, and exclude/include based on those parameters. Could be gear, could be achievements, could be pure numbers, but it will be something in Ashes.

If they wanted to curb the exclusionary behavior, then you could change the nature of the encounters to promote team work, timing, communication, coordination, twitch skills, etc. It will be interesting to see what happens.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I think there’s an irreducible human element to establish expectations, reinforce some measurable baseline, and exclude/include based on those parameters. Could be gear, could be achievements, could be pure numbers, but it will be something in Ashes.

I 100% agree.

Which is why I have always said, keeping anything out of the game for just this reason and no other is stupid.

However, keeping some features out of the game for this reason, but not removing the easiest means of excluding others (achievements) is damn near hypocritical.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I asked this question for a live Stream long time ago. The answer they gave was no and spawned a mini riot here on the forums.
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/comment/84492#Comment_84492

Later the did a dev discussion
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/51268/dev-discussion-35-character-inspection/p1

Personally I hope there is no inspection of gear or cheesments of any kind.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.