Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Player Feedback Request] Dünir Race - Feb 2022

Comments

• Options
    As others have stated, would love to see their lower body a bit longer and or thicker, top to bottom seems a bit out of proportion. Other that that, they're fantastic!!

Would also like to see them next to some of the other races, they need to be broad in the shoulders compared to the more standard human races, not including the orcs.
  • Options
    RhoklawRhoklaw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dunir look amazing and I know it's impossible to show variations allowed through character customization, but I do hope we can make a dwarf that does have a beer belly, kind of like Bombur from Hobbit movies.
  • Options
    Wonderful job on this character creation. I think in particular the detail on the nose. I don't know why that stands out, but it makes the character feel like it is part of your world. I think the immersion you create in some of these details takes us into the feeling we saw when some of the dwarves emerged from the books into the cinema on The Hobbit. We know what they look like in our minds, but this gives them a physicality.
  • Options
    SamsonSamson Member
    edited February 2022
    Love the art direction you all are going with for the Dunir (especially the males). The male face is exactly what I think of when I think of a male dwarf so, great job! :smiley: When it comes to the females, I am hoping you allow users the option to create both masculine and feminine looking female dwarves and not just stick with keeping them all on the more masculine side of the spectrum.

Also, I have seen some comments saying the legs of the Dunir are too short... I personally think they look okay but would love to see the models running around in game to get a better idea.

Awesome job so far! :smiley:
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    Awesome design 👌 👏 👍
  • Options
    The Female could be a bit bigger (or the same as the male counterparts)? The female dwarf is the matriarch and the size should be equal to or more than the dwarf male. +1 for female beards!
  • Options
    This is perfect !
  • Options
    Thoghli RamheartThoghli Ramheart Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Really enjoy the direction of the males. Can not wait to see the variety of the sliders in the character creation screen. Hope that we have a plethora of options as far as beards are concerned as that is the staple for traditional dwarven folks!

The only thing I may have some insight on is how bulky or round you can set the middle section for both the males and females. When I think strong I envision dwarves looking like compact versions of strongman competitors such as Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson. Such as that is, strong men do not really have extremely defined middle sections and variations of that would be nice to have.
  • Options
    These are great! Change nothing. Yes to beard and body hair (within reason) options for both males and females.
  • Options
    BergundBergund Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As I will be “maining” a Dünir in a guild of all dwarves (Lords of Dünheim), I’d like to stand and raise a mug of my finest mead to celebrate the new direction of the Dünir dwarves. I agree with the comments that say the new models are exactly what a classical dwarven heart (such as my own) is looking for.

• What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    I appreciate the strength that’s displayed of the new dwarven body frame. It truly looks like they are now the “pound for pound strongest warriors” that was originally stated about the Dünir dwarf race back during the kickstarter. The new proportions for both the male and female Dünir models feels very appropriate and the examples have already established a great sense of pride in our guild.

• Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    As these are the first examples we’ve seen and I am unsure what all will be possible for our customization (sliders), my comments may seem redundant, alas:
    The male nose is impressive and well, massive. Some dwarves, I know, will be over the moon with the substantial shnoz we see on this model. However (and this ties into a larger comment I’ll detail momentarily), I personally would love to be able to customize my dwarven nose so that it looks a bit smaller and… handsome(?) I guess is the word I’m looking for. I might even go so far as to say the nose is a bit ‘grotesque’ on the male model, and having idk… 5 sliders(lol?) to change the nose up how i’d like would be comforting to see as an option. That being said, the male dwarven face is absolutely captivating to look at, and I believe that is because of how realistic the skin and details look on the model. The female model however, looks like a cartoon and I’m not the least bit captivated by the model’s face. Her ears get the same commentary I gave the male’s nose. I encourage and appreciate a “girly girl”/“standardized beautiful” female dwarf if someone so chooses to do so (larger doughy eyes, voluptuous facial features, etc). However, I would also like to see a female dwarf that’s less cartoonish, and possibly more fearsome/sinister and realistic looking like the male model. The larger comment I guess I’m trying to make is I love what I see, I might even say keep these models as options, but please allow sliders in the facial features that will allow us to create VASTLY different looking dwarves as well.

As for sliders i’d like to see “big boned” sliders, height sliders, every facial feature sliders, width sliders, more sliders the better!!

I personally don’t mind the leg size, but maybe leg sliders are worth having? lol.

Again, the direction the Dünir dwarves have taken is EXCEPTIONAL and I froth at the mouth to see more (options for hair and beard are going to be soooooo important for us!).

Thank you Intrepid team for asking and listening as well as you have! You are deeply appreciated.
    The coin is a rite of passage.
  • Options
    Argem_RuneforgeArgem_Runeforge Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As long as I can put some tattoos on my bald head and the biggest beard possible I'm content. These player models look great. I've seen comments talking about the leg size and personally I think it's fine, but a slider option to potentially make them as bulky as possible is always welcome.
    Officer in Clan Runeforge
    glc2xdq6n16o.png
  • Options
    KesarakkKesarakk Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    This has the perfect representation of the classic fantasy dwarf. Most likely will have my main as one.

Before my critiques, I'd like to preface that I understand this is still early development and not every single feature has yet been announced or even created yet. That said here are my thoughts:

1. I'd like to make sure there are color variations to the Dunir. I think one thing that is always missed with fantastical races is that they are always portrayed to be light-skinned. I'll grant that most races are drawn from mythology and the region decides the color of the creature. However, in a video games, I've always been a fan of player options.
    2. Norse tattoos. Typically in games, a tattoo slider is basically shaded animal shapes or claw marks to give a character a tribal feel. That's fine, but I'd love to have the option to put a rune on the forehead, arms, chest, back, etc. Maybe have a slider that either limits or expands the number of runes a player can have.
    3. Bidazzled Dunir! Give us more jewelry options than the simple ear, or nose rings. Expand it to include mustache, beard, and hair. And please don't tie it to style like some games do where the only time you get gold bands in the hair is when the character has that one ponytail style. Make it a separate option!
  • Options
    The male model is absolutely breathtaking and might have sealed the deal on me wanting to play Dunir. Absolutely fantastic. Great musculature to size ratio. Love the overly large nose and the facial hair. Traditional dwarf and I love it.
  • Options
    Gh0stfaceGh0stface Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nailed it. Give us long hair and long beard options and its perfect.
  • Options
    XaulasXaulas Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2022
    The models look good overall, but I the proportion of arms to leg is off (make the legs a little taller, or arms shorter and tone down the musculature). I hope there is real variance to the character creator, because the muscle is a little too cartoonish for the arms (especially the forearm). Hopefully there will be options to create other body types, like a gut, or a thinner Dunir mage who lifts only books.

I am less hung up on all Dunir looking perfect than I am having character diversity. Also: METAL Beard bling!

Male vs female….if ya gonna make the males look like steroids hulks, the women should have broader shoulders and more muscle definition too.

One more thing, please provide a variety of skin tones and colors!

Keep up the good work, a vast improvement!
  • Options
    ELRYNOELRYNO Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The changes made to the male Dunir are absolutely awesome! I am not sure whether this is a racial trait of the Dunir but optional tattoos on them could be cool unless this is something planned for the Nikua. I'd love to see longer beards with big braids + accessories in them such as clasps. I also think an awesome idea would be to have in game unlockable racial customisations that can be added after character creation and beard accessories would be an awesome one 😊

Theres only two opinions I have with the females currently and those are that they look a little too gnomish in their facial structure and nose, I personally don't mind it if people would prefer that, but I'd like to see the option for a more rugged / battle hardened appearance. I'd also like to see the option for the muscle proportions of the female to be increased during character creation in order to make a slightly more "built" muscle type female Dunir.
  • Options
    Honestly...I feel like I have seen this time and again. Dwarves (by far my favorite race to play) are just the same thing over and again. I would like to make some suggestions here and not just complain, but I really have no idea how to "spice up" a dwarven/Dunir race. But since we are keeping with tradition, I hope to see the high fantasy Norse beards, runes (glowing would be nice), and all that in place.
  • Options
    Hit it out of the park with the redesign. Very happy with these and am so excited to create my dwarf
  • Options
    SkribbySkribby Member
    edited February 2022
    The female has nice proportions, the male looks top-heavy. The male arms are just as thick as the legs, and are much longer than the legs. I'm not a fan of the extra long arms in general. The male legs should be a little thicker imo.

Minor criticism aside, this iteration of the Dünir look much better than the previous ones. Great job!

For customization, I am hoping for height sliders, great beards are important, facial customization too.
  • Options
    SzaasSzaas Member
    edited February 2022
    You guys have done such a good work redesigning the Dünir I am amazed. The men look so manly and noble it makes me want to play one, even though I have never picked a dwarf in a game.
    Some of their features remind me of the cool dwarves we saw in the Hobbit movie. They looked like powerful alphas, good job !
    Female face : she looks a bit too cute/nice for a dwarf. Could look a bit sharper on the edges, a bit more impressive / scary / intense.
  • Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Fantastic. Expecting to see super long beards all the way blow the knees.

Kind of like in this picture:
    Vestments_of_the_Runecarvers.png

also arm hair lots and lots of arm hair. thick Hairy arms.
    Lohar.png

2PXdm1m
  • Options
    ogreogre Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The new dunir models are soooo much better, they actually look like dwarves now. Good stuff.
  • Options
    RockHoundRockHound Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Classic Dwarfs. Great job... I can here a little Scottish voice in my head saying ,"I don't have a drinking problem! I drink. I get drunk. No problem."
  • Options
    SoggyBandaidSoggyBandaid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race? Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    I definitely like the current direction of the Dunir. I think the aesthetic appearance is a big improvement over the alpha 1 version. I think the team could still push the envelope a bit farther in dwarfiness (broader shoulders and longer arms).

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Dünir race?
    Great reveal! I feel like the lady dwarf has a particularly solid build and I like the idea of beards for all.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Dünir race?
    Personally, I would like to be able to customize the limbs on the Dunir to manipulate the torso to leg ratio. The model looks good, but I would want my Dunir to have broader shoulders and longer arms relative the model. Oh, and way more beard length, like knee length please :smiley:
  • Options
    GutzgoreGutzgore Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This is the Dwarf I expect to see in game... obviously lots of options for beards/colors hairstyles etc etc but this is what I imagine in my game!

I think you nailed here!
  • Options
    Hello. First time poster here, but I must add you nailed most of the high fantasy aspects about dwarves. I'd add a few more options though, such as:
    • More body hair for male dwarves.
    • Since they are big miners, maybe add a few metallic/gemstone jewelry. You could even consider gold teeth.
    • Dwarves are proud of their beards, so make them longer and more adorned/intricated.
    • Optional female beards.
    • Nordic/Viking style tattoos.
    • Dad bods for male dwarves. Dwarves drink (a lot) and keeping low body fat would be nearly impossible.
  • Options
    Eltharius the PrimeEltharius the Prime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am really impressed by the new Dünir design! The male Dünir makes me want to watch Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit so badly! Very well made!

However, I do personally think the female Dünir needs a minor touch up. The structure and design of the female design is quite impressive! However, I think the face on the female looks somewhat... scrunched together? As in her mouth, eyes, nose, etc look like they are trying to fit on a small plate, where the male looks evenly presented and natural. The face almost reminds me of some female goblin designs I have seen before (no offense meant). Perhaps giving the female Dünir a wider facial structure, perhaps an elongation of the chin and jaw, would allow the facial features to be evenly distributed, all the while keeping a feminine touch to the female Dünir in their own way.

I hope this feedback and personal opinion helps the design team further. With much love and respect.

- Eltharion
  • Options
    Eltharius the PrimeEltharius the Prime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    (P.S. I also think runic tattoo's would be pretty cool for Dünir, forgot to mention that >.>)
  • Options
    I am very satisfied with the male model of the Dunir and am curious to see how you guys will incorporate the heaviness and bulkiness into his movement behaviour.

As to the female dünir I am honestly not sure how I want the female dwarf should look like. Bearded female dwarf? Not sure. Bulkier? Yeah, imo if u want to have a skinnier, more delicate dwarf that is what the Niküa are for depending on if the same costumization options are available there.
  • Options
    They look exactly how I would have made it !
    My only concern is that they don't have IRL culture influence while others races have , and I fear it may be noticeable in the over all AoC universe.