Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Player Feedback Request] Kaelar Race - Feb 2022

RoshenRoshen Moderator, Member, Staff
edited March 2022 in General Discussion
Hello glorious community,

We’d like your feedback regarding the look and feel of the Kaelar race. We shared our most recent art of this race during the January Development Update livestream.

As a reminder, your feedback matters to us! For example: during Alpha One, players felt the Dünir race did not meet their expectations of a dwarf. Due to that feedback, we made adjustments to the Dünir race as mentioned in our September Development Update last year.

Kaelar Art

KAE_M_Close.png

KAE_M_Full.png

Kaelar race discussion from January Development Update livestream.

To help guide the conversation, here are a few thought starters:
  • What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
  • Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
  • What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Kaelar race?
  • Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Kaelar race?
Don’t feel limited to the questions above. Please, share anything you’d like about the Kaelar race design.

We’ll be leaving this thread open for your feedback until the end of the day on Thursday, February 24, so that we can begin compiling a report for our development team.

Everyone here at Intrepid Studios looks forward to reading all the great reactions to our latest character designs!

UPDATE: Hi again friends! Thank you all for taking the time to stop by and share your thoughts on the male Kaelar! We had a blast reading through your thoughts and comments! We created an awesome report with the feedback you gave us for the design team!

Your thoughts and opinions matter to all of us here at Intrepid and we appreciate you all very much! ^_^
community_management.gif

Comments

• TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Kaelar Humans are the chad race.

I'm perfectly fine with the current art direction. Kaelar's are supposed to be of European influence so you don't really need to do much with them beyond what you've currently done. They don't need to be unique or fancy or whatever in terms of their looks, they're just standard humans. As long as there're ample customisation options for them in character creation (e.g. variety of hair styles) then they're basically perfect just the way they are.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    It's pretty hard to screw up a Human, since we have 8 billion examples of how to make one.

That being said, this is a fantasy game, and I'd like to be able to deviate a bit from the generic look of an everyday person, and allow for them to have things like different colored eyes (violet, azure-green, yellow, ect) to emphasize that these are "humans" but not necessarily Earthlings.

Verralings I guess.

Maybe even allow for a bit of "hybrid" types of looks, like maybe my human has a great-grandfather who was part elf, so his ears are a tad pointy. Just rough ideas, but the general point here is that I feel it would be great to break away from the traditional look of a Human that we see every day and set them apart a bit, as being from another world.

Aq0KG2f.png
  • Karthos wrote: »
    Maybe even allow for a bit of "hybrid" types of looks, like maybe my human has a great-grandfather who was part elf, so his ears are a tad pointy.

human husbandry skill, change your human to be more or less like other races.
    More seriously though, having humans be more of a hybrid race while still usually appearing normally human would be cool
  • chaoko954chaoko954 Member, Alpha One
    Not much to say for Humans. Others have said, This is a fantasy game! So having fantasy hair styles and color options for eyes and hair are the only things I am looking for, but at the same time maybe not too extravagant that it would break immersion. I don't want to see Dark souls lookin ass people running around. XD
  • Serena VenportSerena Venport Member, Alpha One
    Typical European looking humans, nothing to say really or needed changes to be made. I'm sure we will all be happy with the customization features to make them our own on launch.
  • ilisfetilisfet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's easier to point out dislikes so I'll start with that:
    • Shoulders seem a bit too broad, maybe dial the width back 10%?
    • Upon very close inspection of the face, the eyes do still seem a little glassy.
    • The eyebrows feel flat in comparison to the rest of the face. Not bad on their own, but lower quality than the rest of the package.

Details I like:
    • A chiseled but not statuesque jawline
    • Stubble/5 o'clock shadow
    • The details of the hair, namely how you can see the clumps and wisps
    • Noses are hard to get right and you got noses right
    • Can actually see the stretch lines on the lips
    • The detailed shadowing to show the contours of muscles is a great touch that gets better the more you look at it.

Neutral topics:
    • I'm not a fan of jacked figures, but it also wouldn't be realistic if they weren't jacked to some degree.
    • They're humans and they're very human-like. Not much flare to be had without going into cartoon territory.
  • KorvisKorvis Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I personally think they are naturally to skinny... I love the way new world made them and how they feel playing. I know there's going to be sliders but default should be a Little less skinny otherwise 👍
    o2h3grud0nm8.png
  • Humans are lame.
  • DiuraDiura Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think he looks fab! I think his texture and details look amazing~

I think eye/ eyeball needs some work though. Doesn't look quite right to me but I can't put my finger on why. Maybe it's the colour .-. I could be alone on that though.
    8st3lhnx21to.png
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like it, hoping to be able to make the Vaelune at least as tall as a average size Kaelar
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • The art direction for Kaelar seems great, I am more interested to see how they will differ from Vaelune. We have seen drastic differences between the Vek vs the Ren’Kai and the Dünir vs the Niküa.

My only concern would be not seeing those difference between Kaelar vs Vaelune
  • KRissCHuKRissCHu Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Looks good. Maybe more meat to the butt, but other than that it is perfectly serviceable vanilla.
  • I like that your humans look like... humans... I say stick to this and leave any exaggerations to other races. I like this a lot.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Typical "European-appearing" Human.
    What are the limitations for reflecting the range of Earth's Human phenotype diversity?

Will we have iconic characters similar to Everquest and WoW?
    Hopefully, they won't all be blonde-haired, blue-eyed, like Firiona Vie and Anduin.
  • 234Graph234Graph Member
    edited February 2022
    I love the art direction here, there's only a few things I think you can improve upon to make it better:

Implement a higher quality skin texture and add a bit more detail for the facial features such as: eyebags, frownlines on the forehead, pores etc...

Also the eyeballs & pupils look very doll-like, like compared to the other facial features it looks "fake". Lastly, the eyebrows looks stiff as though instead of it being seperate hairstrands coming out of the pores it looks as though its one big hair follicle glued onto the browbone. But overrall it looks beautiful to me. Can't wait to see how the final phase looks.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2022
    9.5/10

Looks like a well-proportioned fit dude. I am not getting a lot of uncanny valley from this one. I can't tell you why, but good job minimizing that.

We need a bigger butt as said above me for the 10/10. At the least let the sliders increase all the things in that general area, but I think the baseline needs to be bigger. :D
  • Serena VenportSerena Venport Member, Alpha One
    Dygz wrote: »
    What are the limitations for reflecting the range of Earth's Human phenotype diversity?
    I was basing my statement off the design plan of having the Kaelar resemble a medieval European style race and the Vaelune a middle eastern style. I'm sure both will have all sorts of phenotype options.

• Not a lot to say there. I just hope that there will be a lot of sliders.
    The decisive thing for humans will be animations, that is what's gonna do the difference.
  • ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Kaelar look like a typical human. If this is the direction you guys were planning to go without much Fantasy look, then it its exactly that. You guys hit the mark if that was the intention. Nothing really "special" stands out to me like the other races, but for those who want to be human this is the race they will love.
    [img][/img]
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dygz wrote: »
    I was basing my statement off the design plan of having the Kaelar resemble a medieval European style race and the Vaelune a middle eastern style. I'm sure both will have all sorts of phenotype options.
    (Yep. That was a question for the devs.)
  • Overall proportions and definitions look great. Among best seen in games. 8/10.
    Please consider the following to strive for 10/10:
    • Front, medial, and rear deltoids oversized (Proportionately).
    • rapezius are immensely oversized (Proportionately).
    • Triceps are oversized (Proportionately).
    • Latissimus dorsi has an unnatural upper attachment point (Continue expanding V).
    • Slightly neglecting leg day (Proportionately).
    • Nice definition of Serratus Anterior though inconsistent with models body fat %.
    • Top two abdominals of the 8-pack are misrepresented. The attachment point sits vertically above the pectoral-bottom-crease and radially underneath the pectorals. IE, only bottom half of the top two abs should be peeking out underneath the bottom pectoral crease.

Excuse me if the following comes as arrogant: Athletic proportion are my specialty both theoretically and physically. You have me happy to consult and come out to be 3D scanned.
  • HighbornHighborn Member
    edited February 2022
    We don't really have a side shot, but for the hip-shoulder ratio, i think the character should be a touch more thick. (i mean from front to back).
    Character has the beforementioned ratio of like a body builder like Chris Bumstead 3x Mr Olympia.

As you can see he's not only wide but thick. Character model has similar hip-shoulder ratio at least from shown angles, but is very thin, while Chris is thick in the chest area.

Edit: i mean if the character did some lats workout it'd be nicer
  • Looks soo good very human looking lol
  • Well nothing much to say about human^^ Looks really very human, nothing I would change^^ I like it
  • captivatedcaptivated Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Perfect. Nothing else to say. They just look amazing.
  • MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited February 2022
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?

I like the direction that is being taken, what was shown in the monthly update and what is being shown now has an improvement as Intrepid show the Kaelar race more characterized.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?

What I don´t like is that it is interpreted that because they are human they are simple and ordinary in their appearance.
    Yes, humans in MMOs are not characterized by being showy or having a differentiated appearance like orcs / elves / dwarves but that doesn't mean they should be "boring".

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Kaelar race?

Being honest, I didn't like it at all, I would have liked them to show this current one.

I want to give my point of view on what the appearance of each race means and what it entails.

Each race in its appearance has its own characteristics, peculiarities, things that make that race something unique.
    All this makes each race (in general) identifiable by its appearance with certain differential characteristics, such as:

Orcs: Honor, Fury.
    Elves: Magestuosity, wisdom.
    Dwarves: Courage, loyalty.
    Humans: Pride, Balance.

These and many other characteristics with which each race is identified, so its appearance is linked to those characteristics.
    It is very difficult to say that a skinny orc of 1.20 cm tall can show the fury that a normal orc would show.
    Similarly, in the case of the Kaelar it is very difficult to say that the Pride that normally represents a human (kings, nobles, warriors) can be identified in a weak looking human.

Humans are boring in appearance compared to other races but that doesn't mean they "must be boring"
    , they should evoke an image of pride of kings, pride of imperial nation.
    YA9epjL.jpg
    eHLprSu.png
    QXhh0ao.jpg
    BsBhydY.jpg
    Ivan cavini image
    1yBxha0.jpg
    Ivan cavini image
    j1kPVSg.jpg

For this reason, from my point of view, the races should have a main representation with which the players have an example to follow in the sense of their own characteristics that those main representations emit.

For example: Why when people played WOW they had well identified the representations of each race?
    I think that was because of the cinematics and lore that did a good job of showing what each character was, what he emitted and how he was characterized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJr3dXZfcg

I hope that Intrepid takes into account that each race has its own characteristics, be it in appearance, history, culture, tradition, etc., and that all of this conjures up an image that players can identify with.
    If I wanted to be a human, I would like to be a proud human for all that my race has achieved, a proud king who protects his people from the Tulnar race, I would like that the main image that AoC gives me is that.

EDym4eg.png
  • arkileoarkileo Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    I think his trapezius looks over developed compared to the rest of his musculature, it makes his shoulders look disproportionally large.
  • looks like a human. is good
  • Diura wrote: »
    I think he looks fab! I think his texture and details look amazing~

I think eye/ eyeball needs some work though. Doesn't look quite right to me but I can't put my finger on why. Maybe it's the colour .-. I could be alone on that though.

I think it's because his pupils are too large.