Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Player Feedback Request] Kaelar Race - Feb 2022

13»

Comments

• Options
    IridiannyIridianny Member
    edited February 2022
    My opinion is that these are too realistic and look too human. I really enjoy the stylization of the Vek and I think it should be more incorporated into the other races. There should maybe be no "human" race. This should be considered especially if you are going to give them these special names instead of just human, orc, dwarf, etc. I enjoy more alien, stylized, and cartoon designs in fantasy worlds.

Remember uncanny valley! I feel it a bit in the details of the skin and the eyes. It's better to go softer on those things. Especially the hair... I am not a fan of the hair so far. When it moves poorly-realistically, it's uncomfortable to look at.

I've seen some comments about mixing the races and I think that it's okay not to do that, too. If the races are interesting enough on their own, they don't need to be "half elf" or "half orc." Which is usually what happens in the generic human races and is another reason to consider not really having one.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the balance between realism and stylization the art direction is currently taking.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    BelegBeleg Member, Alpha One
    Looks fine to me. Bit on the skinny side, but hey, custumisation galore :)

I hope for custimisation that facial and body hair is included, as well as musculature.
  • Options
    GeronimoGeronimo Member
    edited February 2022
    I can understand that a weight slider type thing is not really feasible dev-wise (because then all armor models would need to be adjustable and it would be a real pain) but maybe just 2-3 options of thickness can be provided:

1) emaciated
    2) normal (as shown)
    3) obese

With the other usual customization that would add SO much more character to this hombre. It would elevate humans from their usual bland category in other MMOs. We already have some different armor models needed for the 6 races, so maybe a couple more are doable?
  • Options
    RockHoundRockHound Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Humans are blaaaaah.... looks like y'all nailed it!!!
  • Options
    SoggyBandaidSoggyBandaid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race? Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    The current direction looks good. Overall, I would like to see more variety as to have a better idea how much variety will be available. For example are Kaelar only white European looking? Personally I would want a large variety of appearance from both Kaelar and Vaelune

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Kaelar race?
    The new rendered model looks great!

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Kaelar race?
    Personally I would want a large variety of appearance from both Kaelar and Vaelune. For me specifically, I am looking for some fun curly/wavy hair options.
  • Options
    GutzgoreGutzgore Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah hard to really give much feedback on a normal human character. It looks very human to me, so I think you got this one down. Obviously just need lots of customization to everything.

Great job here!
  • Options
    234Graph234Graph Member
    edited February 2022
    Iridianny wrote: »
    My opinion is that these are too realistic and look too human. I really enjoy the stylization of the Vek and I think it should be more incorporated into the other races. There should maybe be no "human" race. This should be considered especially if you are going to give them these special names instead of just human, orc, dwarf, etc. I enjoy more alien, stylized, and cartoon designs in fantasy worlds.

Remember uncanny valley! I feel it a bit in the details of the skin and the eyes. It's better to go softer on those things. Especially the hair... I am not a fan of the hair so far. When it moves poorly-realistically, it's uncomfortable to look at.

I've seen some comments about mixing the races and I think that it's okay not to do that, too. If the races are interesting enough on their own, they don't need to be "half elf" or "half orc." Which is usually what happens in the generic human races and is another reason to consider not really having one.

Realism does not take away from stylization, I really dont get this argument; like look at Black desert, it's realistic while still being stylized.

Moreover the main things that appear to affect the style of a game is clothing/armour and the way the environment looks not the face of a model. The game is coming out in like mid 2020s, do you really want it to be launching with outdated graphics at a time most games are moving to next gen?
  • Options
    Yep, that's a human!
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    arkileo wrote: »
    I think his trapezius looks over developed compared to the rest of his musculature, it makes his shoulders look disproportionally large.

Ditto.

Overall looks fine.
  • Options
    Since Vaknar recommended so... repping Nerror's suggestion for a plumper baseline for the behind! You know what I mean. The bootie. The tooshie. Where the good lord split ya.
  • Options
    He's a plain looking standard european-ish human male.
    Character customization is going to be the key here.
    Kaelar should have the wider height range for example, from 150cm to 210cm. Scars, tattoos, wrinkles, moles, frekles anything that gives character to a face.
  • Options
    The human looks good and simple. Pretty standard for the human race (fantasy games that is.) With that being said I'd like to be able to customize hair color eye color beard/mustache color all the facial features lots of hair styles would be nice. If we could control how big his body parts are like his arms and legs that would be awesome. I'd love to have some really bulky arms with a beer gut in all honesty. Buts the current design looks good.
  • Options
    Not much to say, here. We've all seen humans in video games. A widow's peak for the hairline and some longer-length hair options for men are always welcome, in an MMO.

• Options
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    The standard human, the standard go to choice for many. Have many options as humans are so varied.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    Nothing yet.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Kaelar race?
    Very cool new models but they are standard humans, I was more excited about the other races but its good to get humans done right.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Kaelar race?
    I think many, many skin tones, hair colours, physique builds, hair styles etc Many options here are important so people can make their humans like themselves or like their fantasy character with a few fantasy elements like eye colours that humans don't have, but still within the realm of a human.
  • Options
    i think the body is good enough. i dont agrree with peolpe saying to reduce the size of it.
    it needs to be quite muscular otherwise they look rather weird and lanky in full armor.
    to judge how the humans will look i say we need to see more variety of it.
    we need to see how will old vs young, muscular vs non muscular, skin tones and beards/dreads and how it all looks with a full set of armor in cloth/leather/plate looks like to judge the character
  • Options
    Looks great. I think abs are a tiny bit/ maybe a smidge wide. And the hips/ buttocks are a bit narrow. Buttttt I’m sure there will be options to play with so it’s whatever
  • Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Classic mmorpg human, very clean and "normal" as it should be great stuff
    Izil.png
  • Options
    BrianDaddyBrianDaddy Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2022
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race? Basic, very human in nature. Good to have.
    Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why? Almost too basic, but deep customization would allow that to not be a negative.
    What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Kaelar race? Again basic human I think those that like to play this will enjoy.
    Are there any specific Character Creator customization's you would like to see for the Kaelar race? Again deep customization, sliders and many choices.
    • Hair (Style, Shape, Color)
    • Face (Skin, Shape, Makeup, Eyes, Tattoos, Wrinkles, Expression)
    • Body (Shape, Muscle, Skin Color, Body type, Tattoos)
    • Voice
    xU7tJe6.png
  • Options
    AnvilAnvil Member
    edited February 2022
    Massive Amounts of Customization. Sliders for EVERYTHING. If I want a Seven foot tall Conan The Barbarian, I would like to see the sliders for that deep of customization. Would also like to be able to choose a "High and Tight", or an ACTUAL Military type, "Flat Top" haircut. AND Be able to Color it as I see fit, Skin, Eyes, and Hair, From as White as a Piece of Paper, to as Black as a Chunk of Coal, and Every color of the Palette in between.
    The Truth has 3 sides, Your Point of View, Their point of View, and The Actual Truth, so, Be careful How you wield the Sword of Truth, It Cuts 3 ways!
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Hey all!

We updated the images for this thread. The models remain mostly the same with some extremely minor changes and just a different image format.

Just a heads up! ^_^
    community_management.gif