Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Expanding Character Costumisation for more depths

13»

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2022
    It's not a feature in the game.
    And it wouldn't add more realism if it were.
    I already explained that - with words and visuals.
    If you can't understand what I've already posted, that ain't my problem.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    It's not a feature in the game.
    And it wouldn't add more realism if it were.

2. Tattoos = appearance, tattoos = stats. So it is.
    2. Irl physical attributes = irl "stats".
    3. Irl physcis, biology, etc implementation = realism in a video game.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    As far as I know, in the character creator, adjusting tattoos does not also adjust stats.
    The tattoos that come with stats will basically be a form of armor/gear. They are items; not "attributes". And those tattoos are not part of the character creator.

The game does not actually have irl stats. The game has character stats.
    How do the size and shape horns of a Py'Rai affect character stats in the character creator? That's rhetorical...they won't.

It's really gameworld physics that resemble irl physics to some degree. If it's a mundane/non-magic setting, the devs might strive to have their gameworld physics closely resemble irl physics.
    Landmark Game had Heroic Movement, which allowed players to Spider-Man jump across the world, - even more so once equipped with a grappling hook. The ability to jump insanely high had nothing to do with appearance. The same was true in Ashes of Creation: Apocalypse. We could jump insanely high, regardless of our appearance. Because those are High Magic Fantasy settings. There is no goal to try to emulate mundane/non-magical Earth physics and biology as closely as possible.

Especially, when it comes to the Tulnar character creation, the devs have no goal to try to emulate real world physics and biology as closely as possible. Precisely because magic allows for things that would not be possible on real world Earth. That's true of all the races.

But... realism is that body shape is not systemically tied to strength and agility in the manner suggested by the proposed mechanic. Looks can be deceiving. Thin people can be surprisingly strong. Fat people can be surprisingly agile. All people are not built alike. Which is why we should have the freedom to craft appearances separately from stat adjustments. Especially in a High Magic Fantasy setting, like Ashes of Creation.
  • Options
    AsraielAsraiel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2022
    Well, I did work as a game dev for 10 years...
    And I've been playing RPGs for 40 years and MMORPGs for 25 years, so...
    I know a little something. Yes.

well depending on when in time you did work as a game dev does matter in tis context if it was 1982 (due to you refering to playing rpg since 40 years. technology did progress a lot in this time. even if we take what was possible between 2010 and now its 12 years that impacts the possebilitys of development. well i dont know any rpg game of 1982 while gameboy came out in 1989 you must have been playing on a comodore64 or so. here a small top 10 rpgs of that time https://youtube.com/watch?v=U7sO0QG1vXI
    but on those games i dont see a possebility to rping :D

also did the market and the development studios haveing diffrent goals on the development one of which was to make money so games were designed in a way that its attractive to more players so developing games that had simple mechanics. but in recent years the gameing comunity did drive into the direction of wanna have more mechanics not only in rpg also in other games. technology gave the tools and the gamers want to play games that uses the new technology.

to go even thurder VR is also participating in the market and it is getting stronger. more and more gamers want to play games in VR today these games may be still very simple designed but who know what they are capeble of delivering ind only 10 years. if technology does progress in the same speed as today.

and most important the amount of peoples that own a PC increses daylie and so the pool of possible players increses as well.

now creating a mmo-rpg in old fashion to be amoung tons of other titles and focusing on mircotransaction is a common thing today. subcription games are less common these days. also you want to deliver a game that has features that other games dont have. grafic aint that feature since many games use the same engine so the mechanics and lore are the selling points. well the node system as it is planed in AoC is one of these mechanics but NW has a close twin of it. and the project supports a open development so i wouldn be suprised to see other planed mechanics in future games befor AoC official lunch.

but AoC does not focus on only one unique mechanic it goes for many new mechanics that makes it in the end unique and on unique games its allways ether you like it or not.

today the market is flooded with games, many are F2P not like in the old millenium were you did buy the game to play. not only did the peoples that own a pc with internet access increse also did the veriety of games that you can play. AoC doesnt want to be a game like any other it drives for uniqueness and i encurage to that decion of the devs and encurage them to go a tiny step thurder with this idea.

I never played WOW that game never interested me even if its one of the largest or the largest mmo-rpg. in the day of the lunch there were many other games on the market with better grafics than wow had to offer it did remind me of tomb raider 3 grafics and so i did never consider of playing it. well back then this grafic was nessesary so the game could run as a mmo-rpg on most home pcs. but time changes

my frist ever pc i personaly onwned was a pentium 3 with win98 and the first pc my dad had was a win95. lot of time passed and todays games would even fit on the HDD's back then. my first game i would refer of rpg was Diablo 2. tomb raider i see more as a riddle and adventure game than a rpg.
  • Options
    the devs have no goal to try to emulate real world physics and biology as closely as possible

well i would say that is only half true. the sky is obove you the ground is beneth you, the ocean has waves the water slows you down, your can drown in water. i would call these things real wolrd physics and biology

the game will have wether and wether effects day nigth cycles and many many more features that mimic real world features like the snow will be white even if they have the possebility of over 16 million other colors to choose it will be white. a high magic fantasy rpg with many features of the real world in it that aint reduced only to the environement.

well shure on land your character does noth breath and doesnt not show any effect of catching breath or so but wy can it then drown it is a high magic fantasy rpg so it should be simple to cast a underwater breath spell or what ever.

haveing a small effect attached to apearance also doesnt fall into "closely as possible" cause then it would mean that it has a huge effect to keep it real somuch that a tulnar may be twice as fast as a dawrf in movement but that will never be the case also the idea doesnt lead there.

you also mentioned the horns butas mentioned the head will be excluded from it since that is primarly a visible spot for characters while the rest is covered in armor.
    Iridianny wrote: »
    Tattoos = appearance, tattoos = stats. So it is.

tattoos aint selected in the character costumisation it is selected in game and can be changed but it leafs a mark on the body and even if you dont like the mark every tattoo will have a stat change effect on it. so if you want to go for stat then you might get a tattoo you dont like, if you go for the tattoo design you may loose stats you need. so this is a mechanic planned for the game by the devs that does change the apearance. where on the body that tattoo is placed is not yet known.

but it does change the apearence for stats
    only with the addition that you can remove it again or change it to another tattoo but every tattoo will come with a statchange.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Asraiel wrote: »
    And I've been playing RPGs for 40 years and MMORPGs for 25 years, so...
    I know a little something. Yes.

well depending on when in time you did work as a game dev does matter in tis context if it was 1982 (due to you refering to playing rpg since 40 years. technology did progress a lot in this time. even if we take what was possible between 2010 and now its 12 years that impacts the possebilitys of development. well i dont know any rpg game of 1982 while gameboy came out in 1989 you must have been playing on a comodore64 or so. here a small top 10 rpgs of that time https://youtube.com/watch?v=U7sO0QG1vXI
    but on those games i dont see a possebility to rping :D
    lmao
    You can fabricate all kinds of whacky strawman arguments in your own head.
    All said is I know some stuff about RPGs and MMORPGs, game design, game development, the history of video game tech and the concepts behind RPG designs set in a High Magic Fantasy settings. The people with whom I play D&D and other video games with are currently working as game designers and game programmers. We talk about game design and game development all the time, so, yeah.... I'm confident in my knowledge.

The lack of this mechanic in CRPGs set in High Magic Fantasy settings has nothing to do with the shortcomings of tech. It's not an assumption, it's informed knowledge. You don't have to believe me. You don't have to agree with me. I'm just sharing my knowledge. I'm not really trying to convince you on that point.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    You don't have to believe me. You don't have to agree with me. I'm just sharing my knowledge. I'm not really trying to convince you on that point.

The same goes for me

now one of your major statement was that in HMF RPG's buffs and such does do the effects and i dont disagree with that. however i say wy limit yourself to 1 thing if you can have both?
    And I've been playing RPGs for 40 years and MMORPGs for 25 years, so....

even if it is true, the proof is missing. It simply does state that you feel superior to the others posting.
    The lack of this mechanic in CRPGs set in High Magic Fantasy settings has nothing to do with the shortcomings of tech.

well yeah that mechanic isnt seen in other HMF settings but AoC doesnt aim to be just another of these games, it aims to be unique.

most other games of that kind are developed with the major goal to make money in the end, shure AoC will also make some money but its not its primary goal.

all i say is that AoC is an will be diffrent and unique in more that one way to the other games of the genre and that this idea supports that goal AoC want to achive.