Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Player Feedback Request] Py'rai Female & Male Concept & 3D models - 2022

Comments

• Options
    I think they look great. I normally play the more fantastical races though and find traditional elves a little too plain. Before they started releasing races, I was looking forward to making an orc (renkai). But now that they have started to show them off my favorites are Vek, then pyrai and have lost interest in the renkai.

I hope they keep the horns mandatory . It's the races defining feature right now. It's an easily distinguishable silhouette in game. Elf with horns Pyrai Elf no horns Pyrean. I think its much better than just having 2 pointy ear elves with the only difference being armor.
  • Options
    yeah.. I'll play one, wood elf always being my first main pick, this one will be as well
  • Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Personally I liked the look a lot! Liked everything about it. The barky skin, the horns, everything. I liked it much more than the human looking elves whose only distinguishing feature is slightly longer ears. Only thing that stood out as aesthetically displeasing is the eyebrows.

Even though I loved the horns. I have a suggestion as I see there are some people who didn't like the horns. Maybe do the same root structure you used for the horns but instead of horns you could have it replace the hair. like this picture @Amma showed.
    Amma wrote: »
    Not a fan of that "deer". I hope there will be an option in the character creation to minimize or even hide the horns. Rest of it looks nice. There are other possible ways through colors of the skin, of hair of the eyes, of Hairstyles and so on, to make it look different. Maybe something like this: uhxzwv8hguu5.png
    2PXdm1m
  • Options
    JoshKSBJoshKSB Member
    edited February 2022
    I really liked this. The horns look awesome. Honestly was planning on going with humans before the character reveals. WoW races bore more. But these are looking good. This is my favorite so far. Love the horns and wooden look. I hope that we get to adjust how much that is noticeable. And more horn options. I personally would love to see antlers like this.
    Also can we get an option for ‘growing’ horns. Like how deer antlers during growth have velvet on them. Similar to how you said the horns will change due to environments. So during seasons the horns can grow the velvet And then shed it and look like more normal. alz528lf3iqq.jpeg
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Personally I really like the design. I like the fact they are different from every other homogenized rendition based on a book written in 1937. Is super boring that they should stick to how someone described them nearly 80 years ago.
    Have the confidence to do your own thing and stick to it. Stop trying to be like everyone else.

As Bender the Great once said " Stay the course pal."
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    MissfitMissfit Member
    edited February 2022
    The new Py'Rai Vek. - It gave me Centaur vibes! I like the idea of going with "deer" or "Ruminant" theme! Stick with "antlers" for Vek, and "horns" like Ram/Cows for Ren'kai! But then I think of those african deer like the "Oryx" that has backwards Unicorn horns that swirl and wonder which that fits better. I would LOVE to see a cernunnos type forest god. I think the "bark" skin is gross! It's like a deformity. I think you should use "flocked" fuzzy skin!!! Like the horse/cat tail Steven designed. Make the flocked skin very close to the skin and almost not seen as a texture until up close! And the antlers should be all types of shapes of deer types, like Velvet caribou/reindeer antlers (even an option with the velvet falling off and the antler looking bloody underneath) or moose antlers. Personally as a woman I'd like smaller antlers. This almost makes me want to play a male character because I would love to see "elk" fur chest incorporated for the male models!! (make it an additional option for females too, like a scarf or maybe better as a SHAWL on her back!) like a lions maine but actually elk maine. Elk are one of my favourite creatures and Soo majestic!! A little button "deer" nose tattoo option might be neat, but I love the natural nose on your model just fine! The Gold piercing and jewelry is wonderful too but I don't like the necklaces. I'm afraid the jewelry will take away from the items you can buy, but the "nose" or "eyebrow earrings" would be good options. A nose ring for the married women. I also think the eyebrows are a little crazy so I hope we could have more normal eyebrows too. I would actually personally like ears shaped more like "deer" ears than elf ears. Would be neat to make a more asian/horned "dragon like" version with scales as well.
    FFXI 75 cap 2003-2010. Diabolos Server. Amaeru/Amaera. 9 jobs to 75: WHM BLM RDM THF WAR DRK DRG BRD. SAM60 SMN60 PLD60. NIN37 MNK 37. Gilgamesh: Truther DNC75. Wish I got to play BLU!
  • Options
    Lark Wyll wrote: »
    IThe race had an appearance of being stuck in a transformation. Aestheically it made me want to see it commit more to either the wooden exterior look and/or horned animalistic vibe or more more towards elves with a spin (horns and nature via flowers and adornement). It looked like a Satyr to me but not at the same time.

My sentiment falls along these lines as well. I love the concept, but it's a concept that either needs to be fully embraced or scrapped. Please don't pull a Divinity: Original Sin 2, where you have elves that are supposed to "tree like" but come off as malnourished and disfigured at best.

Now I understand that not everyone is going to like the "tree like" vibes, and I think it's fine to have degrees of options there, but at the end of the day not every race needs to suit everyone. I really think you guys should lean harder into the "tree/plant" elf concept. And please extend it beyond the face, Make it something that's visible down the body as well.

• Options
    I absolutely love the direction you took with the Elf. I am a huge fan of the different take on the design, it is definitely great to see a fresh design like this, however i would also like the customization for elves to allow for the traditional look many people enjoy from movies like LOTR
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Skalagrim wrote: »
    As many people that seem to really hate the horns, then yea they need to be optional.
    Or just an option for nubbins.

• Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Love the branch horns. love the whole thing
  • Options
    IridiannyIridianny Member
    edited February 2022
    The Py'rai are the best character model so far! I LOVE their antlers and I LOVE their large ears. The are so stylized and lovely. Antlered creatures are prey and typically have very large ears so it makes sense to me!
  • Options
    AlyxaviorAlyxavior Member
    edited February 2022
    I enjoyed the Py'rai reveal a lot.

I intend to have my first character be a Py'rai scout, exploring the new world.

With the antlers, and what Steven indicated with the growth and such, I feel they'd be better referred to as branches, though., especially with the architecture and their connection with nature. With this new definition of branches, some character creator options could include different variations of tree types. Being able to have willow, oak, bamboo and others, would certainly give the character a unique touch.

I can honestly see Margaret in the face that was shared. It is amazing.

Edit: added a period for clarity
  • Options
    I was a big fan of the Sylvari in GW2. I’m getting some of those vibes with the plant/tree infusion on this model. The variations across the race could be really striking.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Love the general aesthetic. The horns were a bit unexpected, but nice, however, the airplane-wing ears are just hideous. Pointed is good but sticking straight out like she could fly on her own is just an Eastern art style trash trope.

Yours truly very much liked the antlers as a very game-specific feature of this Elven race - even the ideas about flowers being able to bloom from them, though it feels like flower-blooms should be toggle-able or otherwise an option.

Ears like this definitely help to create a more identify-able profile, marking the race as unique - but it also opens options for additional jewelry, such as unique earrings; It feels like the ears a good thing.

As someone who has sworn NOT to play another human in this game (ALL my previous MMO's have featured a human main-toon), I think I've found my race!

• Options
    I think they look great. I normally play the more fantastical races though and find traditional elves a little too plain. Before they started releasing races, I was looking forward to making an orc (renkai). But now that they have started to show them off my favorites are Vek, then pyrai and have lost interest in the renkai.

I hope they keep the horns mandatory . It's the races defining feature right now. It's an easily distinguishable silhouette in game. Elf with horns Pyrai Elf no horns Pyrean. I think its much better than just having 2 pointy ear elves with the only difference being armor.

As they did with the Dwarves and Orcs, it feels right now that the other Elven race will probably be what the traditionalists in this thread are looking for: Something more along the lines of a very human-like Elf with slightly modified features.

/Support making the antlers mandatory, but again - any flower blooms should be optional.... Maybe the local barber will know how to prune them!

• Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    As many people that seem to really hate the horns, then yea they need to be optional.
    Or just an option for nubbins.

Either nubs or "broken" antlers would also be very cool. Nubs can definitely add to a toon's RP back-story - like self-hatred, or a distaste for one's own kind. "Broken" antlers would also make for a really great indication of RP battle-experience.

• Options
    Those twig-head antlers are fricking awful. They're just bad bad bad. I'd been intending to play a Py'Rai, but they're just really really off-putting.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    i like the aesthetic of the elves, but i dont like the eyebrows, weirdly. i think normal, human=esque eyebrows would be better.

the antlers im not in love with, but i like that that your doing something. perhaps antlers could be one of several options. like maybe some pyrai dont have antlers, but instead have antler like growths that frame their ears to various degrees. i also liked the concept of plant/horn like growths potruding from other areas of the face as well (mentioned on page 1).

i had this idea that wood elves would have moss like body hair too, which could be sweet. like maybe just on their arms and or legs, and maybe some older elvish men have green wizard beards with twigs, or horns that look like twigs, growing out of the beards... or something. idk.

overall, if your gonna depart from the standard "these elves are blonde and like books and these ones are brunettes and like trees" then you might as well see how far you can take it. i love when old , worn out concepts get attacked from a new direction, and tbh, "elves" as a concept are a bit worn out after 90 years of tolkien fans copy pasting them. let the tolkien fans have the dunir, kaelar, renkkai, and empyrean. use the other races to do something unique and interesting, as you have been.
  • Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2022
    Reserved
    Izil.png
  • Options
    Pyrai horns are excellent. Do not change. Haters gtfo.
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options
    TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2022
    Hejo,

The Py'Rai now look a lot more interesting than your average "Wood Elf" in any other MMORPG.

I love the branches growing out of their heads, great idea.
    To those who've worked on this, I think you did a fantastic job, and I would love to see more creative things like this in Ashes of Creation. Keep it up! <3

I do feel like you're still being too safe with the design though, like the hair could be made out of leaves, and decorated with flowers. Think about a Weeping Willow Tree.
    cezp0z2iy6yb.png

Overall, great, I just have one little issue, okay?

Eyebrows exist for a reason, and that is to keep our eyes clear of liquid, such as sweat or rain.
    With how the eyebrows are currently designed, they are likely to partially fail at their job. I don't like that.

How about making the brow out of similar wood-like substance like the horns, and allow them to be covered in various kinds of mosses? I believe that could be incredibly interesting, and they are likely to do a pretty good job at being eyebrows.
    If the design could consider that and potentially adjust in that direction, or have this as an option, I would absolutely love it.
  • Options
    Hmmm... Saw that and was like... Welp, Ain't playing that race.... Looks like the Elf Race from "The Dragon Prince.".. Thanks.. I Hate It... LOL... No Problems with it, Just ain't my Cup of Tea. Hopefully the "Other" Elf Race looks more like traditional Elves. Liked the Human Models, (They Just need sliders.)
    The Truth has 3 sides, Your Point of View, Their point of View, and The Actual Truth, so, Be careful How you wield the Sword of Truth, It Cuts 3 ways!
  • Options
    KurushikaKurushika Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really like it, I am all for the horns being mandatory. I prefer having races look different over having every race be customisable to the point of looking similar to eachother.

I think all races so far are hitting a really nice balance of being original compared to other games while still staying 'realistic' or intuïtive compared to for example the tree and lion races in guild wars 2.

The race characteristics in aoc are strong but subtle at the same time :smile:
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Kurushika wrote: »
    I really like it, I am all for the horns being mandatory. I prefer having races look different over having every race be customisable to the point of looking similar to eachother.

I think all races so far are hitting a really nice balance of being original compared to other games while still staying 'realistic' or intuïtive compared to for example the tree and lion races in guild wars 2.

The race characteristics in aoc are strong but subtle at the same time :smile:

Some people here are asking for optional horns. I really want to know what characteristics people want from Pyrai that they feel they won't get from Empyrian other than the horns?
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    I really like the idea of Wood-elves having tree-like features. However, I think you could have been braver when adding those features. The ears could be more leaf-like, for example, the skin could look a bit more wooden, etc.
  • Options
    Generally I really like the Py'Rai. I wasn't expecting antlers, but I like them a lot. Don't have an issue with the ears at all. The only thing I'm not really liking is the wood grain skin, but it's not a deal breaker.

Now just to see the full body and male model. I was already leaning toward Py'Rai just based on architecture, but I'm pretty sold on them right now.

I hope there's a slider that can adjust how far the roots go down into the skin, I'm not a fan of how bumpy the cheeks look. but I love everything else about it.
  • Options
    Really dig the horns hopefully the character customizer will let us adjust things like the skin and ear size since those aren't the defining parts of the silhouette it shouldn't be a big deal.

After seeing how widely the Vek can vary I'm convinced we will get a fair degree of control over the little things like that.

I've been very happy to see how they've been differentiating the sub races to not just be the same race with a different theme or architecture.
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited February 2022
    8.5/10 so far I'd say ... the race aesthetic is looking impressive.

I don't have much to say that hasn't already been mentioned in the thread.

The ears and eyebrows look too much like WoW to me.

For the eyebrows, I would like to see something a bit more "down-to-earth" or "natural" to fit their racial theme. A female eyebrow can still be thin but natural. Or, at least allow some options in character generation.

For the ears, I wouldn't mind seeing something a bit more traditional "pointing up" ... or a toggle in the character generation menu that allows players for "pointing up" in addition to "pointing out".

Personally, I like seeing the antlers and would definitely keep them on my first Py'Rai character. However, I see other players' point of view -- a toggle to remove them or shorten them to nubs would give them some options.
  • Options
    -T0Mb--T0Mb- Member
    edited March 2022
    I like this Py'Rai elf's look. I like the idea of Py'rai having antlers on their heads but I would like to make that bark skin optional.

I think Py'rai should have normal hair but players could have an option in character creation to dress their character's hair with ornaments that are made of flowers, leaves, conifer cones, mosses, lichens, mushrooms, animal bones/skulls, feathers, butterfly wings etc.

I just hope that Py'rai doesn't end up looking too much like GW2's Sylvari because that would be too much and I couldn't consider them as elves anymore.
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Yeah the crossover between bosmer and sylvari, excellent stuff