Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Player Feedback Request] Py'rai Female & Male Concept & 3D models - 2022

Comments

• Options
    They made me think of the King for the wood elves in warhammer fantasy battle
    cv8mdzxvv7r0.png
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the direction you have taken with giving each race some standout features.
    I like the antlers and the almost wood texture the skin has.
  • Options
    I love this design idea! Some people are saying that they hate how far it is from the "traditional elf". I wish more games would take risks with their character design. I want this world to feel unique and the people in it to be distinct. IS has offered a traditional option for those that are interested, if you don't like the new ideas, then go with the traditional races. Personally, the old models and character styles are getting old. I also like that we may not love all of the characteristics of each race. They are all desirable and undesirable in their own ways, even if that effects the aesthetic of their villages and cities. Looks like we will all be faced with making hard decisions right from the start, and I love it! It makes it feel that much more immersive!

That being said, I do think customization is always key. I personally love being able to change all of character's features so they look exactly how I envision (within the confines of their race) and completely unique from everyone else. I would love to see multiple horn/antler designs of varying size and maybe even changing the positioning on or around their face. I'd also like to be able to adjust the skin texture to either present more or less of that bark look on their face and body. The jewelry style is awesome for all of the races so far, and I hope their are options for that as well.

I'm interested to see what the body model looks like, so that's what I'm waiting for next.
  • Options
    Saturn AuroraSaturn Aurora Member
    edited March 2022
    Really like the design. Wasn't considering Py'rai now im obsessed.
    I love the horns, i think they are a great feature- just add customization for them.
    I think the skin bark could be toned down a little bit- but not rid of completely, since I like the nature connection with these elves being embodied. But make it so it can be adjusted in creation to make it hard to notice if that is peoples preference.

Overall really like the unique direction with the sub races, such a creative and good way to create something that takes gaming fantasy towards the future, than being stuck in the past. Everyone is doing traditional (yawn) and we will probably get them with Empryean, I hope Empryean has some unique components whilst still fitting the traditional elf style you intend, just to make it fresh and exciting for players. Because how Py'rai can verge off the original elves to be so entwined in nature- i hope Empryean will have some sort of magical flair to them to really make them feel like a HIGH elf.

Oh the eyebrows on Py'rai, not my favourite thing :) other than that love it!

Saturn_Aurora.png
  • Options
    SolarisSolaris Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I actually love this race design as is and would not change a thing.
    "Are you on the square? Are you on the level?"
  • Options
    J_InroJ_Inro Member
    edited March 2022
    Foremost, I'm 100% going to play an Elf. But Py'rai or Empyrean? I'm not yet sure which.

Essentially, the only thought I have about the (human) Kaelar, is that her skin and eye texture/facial structure makes the Py'rai female look like it belongs to a different game - even "cartoon'ish - in contrast.
    It is not the reverse (that the Py'rai looks wrong) because; (in my opinion) cleaner lines, simpler features is a "less is more" approach and going to be healthier over-all situation for maintaining immersion and probably work better graphically, too. If I'm wrong in that, then I hope to at least see more consistent flesh textures on the Py'rai.

What I like about this display, is that I am getting Guillermo del Toro aesthetic classical "pan" or "satyr" vibes from the fem. Py'rai, and this is good, because it implies that OTHER Pyrean elves, the Empyrean elves, are going to be either:
    1. More human Tolkien-esque elves. The standard; tall, beautiful humans with pointy ears*.
    OR
    2. Even LESS human in appearance, with more elemental feature and ultimately a completely alien aesthetic. Perhaps like the Sylvari of Guild Wars (more tree'ish than even these Py'rai are).

*The former, I guess, is more likely, given some of the Empyrean concept art (of statues on the wiki page) that I've already seen - but nothing is yet set in stone.

I LOVE that this game can set its own tone against some conventions, so I don't think that either choice for the Empyreans (Models w. pointy ears or tree-people) is necessarily the wrong move. It is probably going to be safer, to have Py'rai accomplish all of the arboresque/dendroidal (tree-like) or bestial (beast like) essence, via extra customization and provide the audience with Pyreans as the contrasting standard fantasy elf type.

So, what I am left with, is the same question which struck me the moment the head was displayed; questions over the Py'rai body silhouette. Whichever of the elvish races is more alien, I would ask "What are the body shape, gait and unique animations are going to be?"
    Are they going to have longer/shorter limbs/parts, giving them a definitive shape and way of moving?
    If so, are they going to be more bestial or tree-like - and how is that going to be reflected?

Really excited to see what you guys come up with. Whatever it is, please just make sure it is visually consistent within your own universe.
    Cheers!
  • Options
    Adonex wrote: »
    Py'Rai Elves
    • Choice of traditional hair or bark-features for hair, eyebrows, nails, .etc..
    • !!!Slider to tilt the ears and adjust how much they project out to the sides vs. to the back.!!!
      • Idea: Remove traditional ears all-together and encorperate hearing organs with the horns.
    • Would love to see racial abilities revolving around their attunement to nature:
      • Ex, Altering their wood-land body features to blend with their native environments -> similar to a gecko or chameleon.
      • Ex, A symbiosis with specific mounts that share native environments -> harmonized weather effects with the Terrapin Tortoise.
      • Ex, Calling upon nature forces to create cosmetic displays -> calling glow-bugs to form an illuminating crown around their head at night.
      • Ex, Intense eye colors that harmonize with their environment -> green in the forest, blue near the waters, white in the snow, mocking bioluminescents in the under-realm.
    • Customizable movement patterns -> graceful in the forest, hyper-alert in open plains, struggling in the alpines, uncomfortable in the deserts, etc..
    • Different singing voices -> Bass, Baritone, Tenor, Alto, Mezzo-Soprano, and Sopran.
    • Very elegant and curvy body proportions:
      • Males like an elite athlete with exceptionally wide shoulders, thin waist, and muscle definition.
      • Females like the merge of an elite athlete and a bikini model.
      • Please don’t make Py'Rai diminutively shorter than the Empyrean like every other game does to forest-elves.

Idea for Py’Rai Lore behind having ears/sensory organs incorporated with their horns.

Key points:
    • An ancient relation or interaction with a Verran Nature Divinity that granted/developed them these sensory horns.
    • Their horns allow them to literally “hear the forest”.
    • Having nurtured their understanding of nature’s languages over time, they can:
      • “Sing trees and plants” into shapes, formations, and structures.
      • Form unique bonds with certain beings in their native biomes.
      • + Endless creative freedom for lore and racial traits.
  • Options
    nibiru97nibiru97 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The Py’Rai are great. In the concept, I liked how the antlers blended into the head, however it looked like on the model they were just sitting on top. I would like to see the model be more like the concept in this regard.
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    daveywavey wrote: »
    At least it'll add to the demand for Crafting, as there'll be a huge market for Helmets to cover up the branchlers on the head.
    It was said on Twitter that headgear will adjust to allow the branches to be shown.

:|
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Shoelid wrote: »
    You want the horns to be optional? Good, because they already are. You can just pick empyrean. You want the skin to be different? It can be (if you play a human). GTFO with complaining for every design decision that isn't a copy-paste of the Neverwinter designs.

You want to have the Py'Rai racial bonuses? Play an Empyrean! You want to help to add Py'Rai experience to make a node's city Py'Rai-themed? Play an Empyrean! You want to RP a wood elf? Play an Empyrean!

......... Oh wait...

As you said, GTFO.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Love everything about them.
    To me, its hard to give more feedback since i assume many aspects would be tweakable in the "on par to BDO" character creator that we were promised, so i would say i love them as they are, and so far they fit perfectly in their race description info. Nature side to their looks its amazing and would love to see those effects Steven mentioned during the stream.
    For the purist, just go and make an Empyrean, the direction that the studio shows so far is more "traditional" style for half the races and more personal approach for the other half and i do love that, choice is a nice thing to have!
    Keep up the good work!
    When the flame of life glimmers in the wind, my hand shall guard it
    When the weak waver on their path, my spirit shall be their guide
    When the strong fall to darkness, my heart shall be their beacon
  • Options
    I think the look is really interesting, I wasn't considering playing py'rai before and I am now. The skin is probably supposed to look like bark, but it makes her look really old. Do elves retain their youth on Verra?

I'd definitely want to be able to change the look of the antlers and tone the ears way back. I agree with others who said they look like g(remlin)oblin ears, not a fan.
    0n1r4knbcjkg.png
  • Options
    JackDragsJackDrags Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I seriously can't get over how beautiful this new wood elf concept is. Don't change a thing. Love love love it.
  • Options
    Zenfar wrote: »
    steven said during the livestream the horns will be mandatory but hopefully if enough people give feedback that they'd like them to be optional we can make it happen. that way everyone wins.

More ear options and skin options would be great as well both bark and regular more human skin. I'd be more then happy to play an elf like this using the existing art concept and my magic paint skills
    8ad7qvogvw4n.png

I feel there be alot more subtle option for horns and so on keep in mind, they would of used a more featured/exaduratred looking one for livesteam to show off and so on
  • Options
    I really like the design, apart from the barkskin and how deep in the face the antlers are - if theres an option to lessen/customize the barkskin and change the roots of the antlers/cover them, ill be quite happy
  • Options
    ZenfarZenfar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You want the horns to be optional? Good, because they already are. You can just pick empyrean. You want the skin to be different? It can be (if you play a human). GTFO with complaining for every design decision that isn't a copy-paste of the Neverwinter designs.

You want to have the Py'Rai racial bonuses? Play an Empyrean! You want to help to add Py'Rai experience to make a node's city Py'Rai-themed? Play an Empyrean! You want to RP a wood elf? Play an Empyrean!

......... Oh wait....

This is exactly why im asking for them to make it optional to have horns/antlers and the barkskin. I was really sold on the original concepts and the look of the py'rai buildings/nodes and theme of the race. Just wasn't expecting them to go in this direction. everyone wins when its optional

• Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2022
    Zenfar wrote: »

......... Oh wait....

This is exactly why im asking for them to make it optional to have horns/antlers and the barkskin. I was really sold on the original concepts and the look of the py'rai buildings/nodes and theme of the race. Just wasn't expecting them to go in this direction. everyone wins when its optional

I do not think architecture should be connected to race, so I consider that one complaint of Davey's valid. The rest of the complaints make no sense to me.

I really would like to know what traits people want from Py'rai that they can't get from Empyrean in terms of physical features? What is Empyrean missing right now that Py'rai delivers on that you feel you are missing out on? That would be much more useful data for the devs at this stage.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    First, great work on the character art. My only critique is the ears. It's my opinion that they stick out too far and they should look more like traditional elf-like ears to be aesthetically pleasing.
  • Options
    KesstrylKesstryl Member
    edited March 2022
    As a long time player of Wood Elves in any table top or computer game RPG/MMO that has them, I hope there will be sliders and variations so we are not forced into this vision. I think these extreme options of bark skin and wing ears should be there for those who love them, but please provide options to tone down these things for those of us who want a more traditional wood elf. I don't mind the horns, though I hope there will be options for smaller horns. Even better would be to have a no horn option. I hate the ears and hope there will be options for smaller ones that rotate closer to the head. I absolutely hate the barkskin. Please provide normal skin options. I also don't care for the World of Warcraft style eyebrows, please give normal options of eyebrows that don't stick up off the forehead. I'm used to wood elves looking more like nature loving wild versions of regular elves, and that's always been how my own wood elf characters looked. Like I said, keep the extreme options for those who like them, but provide some toned down options for those of us who don't like them. Variety and customization are always better and result in happier customers. As it is, this cries too much like Sylvenar from Guild Wars 2, and I didn't like the Sylvenar at all.

As for others saying to just play the other elf race if I want more traditional, well, I like the nature culture of wood elves. I envision them as being tribal (kind of like Native American mixed with Druidic), tattooed, and in tune with nature, which is why I would want to play one in any MMO, so the traditional elves will not give me the culture I want. I just want options to tone down some of these concepts and make my wood elf look less like a cross between an Elder Scrolls Bosmer and a Guild Wars 2 Sylvenar. A little more traditional is not a bad thing, and variety will please more people than less variety.
  • Options
    Kesstryl wrote: »
    As a long time player of Wood Elves in any table top or computer game RPG/MMO that has them, I hope there will be sliders and variations so we are not forced into this vision. I think these extreme options of bark skin and wing ears should be there for those who love them, but please provide options to tone down these things for those of us who want a more traditional wood elf. I don't mind the horns, though I hope there will be options for smaller horns. Even better would be to have a no horn option. I hate the ears and hope there will be options for smaller ones that rotate closer to the head. I absolutely hate the barkskin. Please provide normal skin options. I also don't care for the World of Warcraft style eyebrows, please give normal options of eyebrows that don't stick up off the forehead. I'm used to wood elves looking more like nature loving wild versions of regular elves, and that's always been how my own wood elf characters looked. Like I said, keep the extreme options for those who like them, but provide some toned down options for those of us who don't like them. Variety and customization are always better and result in happier customers. As it is, this cries too much like Sylvenar from Guild Wars 2, and I didn't like the Sylvenar at all.

As for others saying to just play the other elf race if I want more traditional, well, I like the nature culture of wood elves. I envision them as being tribal (kind of like Native American mixed with Druidic), tattooed, and in tune with nature, which is why I would want to play one in any MMO, so the traditional elves will not give me the culture I want. I just want options to tone down some of these concepts and make my wood elf look less like a cross between an Elder Scrolls Bosmer and a Guild Wars 2 Sylvenar. A little more traditional is not a bad thing, and variety will please more people than less variety.

What traits do you want to distinguish empyrean from py'rai?

• Options
    truelytruely Member, Alpha One
    I really like so much I'm likely to choose this race for my cleric if it's viable
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »

I said I wanted options to tone down some these things, I never said to get rid of them. For me though I could see wood elves having tribal tattoos and maybe putting feathers in their hair like natives and being more shamanistic. I think the antlers/branches and big ears and feral look should be there for those that love those types of characteristics, but also have options for those who want a more subdued traditional wood elf look. You know, some of us could RP them as being half wood elf, half traditional elf, or RP them as having a little more of the old elven blood than the more feral and plant like ones. All I want are options which I think benefits everyone. Allowing good character customization only benefits the game and all who play it. It helps players to feel more invested in their characters.
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »

I said I wanted options to tone down some these things, I never said to get rid of them. For me though I could see wood elves having tribal tattoos and maybe putting feathers in their hair like natives and being more shamanistic. I think the antlers/branches and big ears and feral look should be there for those that love those types of characteristics, but also have options for those who want a more subdued traditional wood elf look. You know, some of us could RP them as being half wood elf, half traditional elf, or RP them as having a little more of the old elven blood than the more feral and plant like ones. All I want are options which I think benefits everyone. Allowing good character customization only benefits the game and all who play it. It helps players to feel more invested in their characters.

Right and I personally will not argue with 'wanting more options'. That's actually why I am asking.
    It sounds like you'd be ok with 'toned down/subdued' but it also sounds like this wouldn't be totally satisfying to you. So I'm really interested in what other options you want to have to make these races physically distinguishable.

So far most of the traits you seem to want to tone down or toggle off are the only real things I see as distinguishing between the two physically. So if you ideally could toggle off these things off, I assume there are other things that make you choose this over empyrian other than just flavor text. What kind of proportions on the body or face would make you feel 'wood elf' as opposed to Empyrian?

'Tribal tattoos' and the like are probably a good start, but they aren't very visually distinguishing once you have armor on. Are there any extra details you'd like to see added that might stick out more when you have armor on?

• Options
    Lord_MarshalLord_Marshal Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I think the branchlers are too much of a feature to be done away with. I can see them smaller and up to they have their own eco system, but no option to be done away with. That is why there in another elf type to play if you don't want wood in you Wood Elf.
  • Options
    Me personally am really happy with the overall design of the race because its gives of a nature vibe for the Elf sub race and makes them stand out from the other. People are complaining that the horns are mandatory but this is one of the visual features of the race which I think is a good thing if people wanna play as a normal elf don't select this one simple. Design overall is amazing well done team 3<
  • Options
    ZilgzZilgz Member
    Design Team really went above and beyond here! Big fan for the design of Pyrai. I have really enjoyed watching all of the races have different qualities in their "family tree" Horn idea looks amazing. Customizable in size and color should be a must. I would love to see the race benefit from an ability that can be incorporated with their horns. Maybe some sort of defensive cooldown related to bark/wood. Hmmm where have I heard of that before? :wink:
  • Options
    VirulentVirulent Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Not a fan. Not a race I would play. If you're going to make them be like tree limbs horns woodland infused people, then the whole face/body needs to actually be tree like, not a human like face with weird elfy like ears with horn antlers as an afterthought. The skin doesn't look like trees or anything, it looks like a burn victim.
  • Options
    It's the first time that I give my comments here.
    In nearly all MMOs and RPGs I love to play some kind of Ranger/Archer as Human or more often as an Elf/Woodelf. (And yes, I like Legolas ;-) ) Therefore it was important to me to see how the Py´Rai will look like.
    Honestly - and it seems I'm not alone with this opinion - I hoped they look more like common Elves. Especially the first version of the Female with the Bark Skin and Antlers was disappointing for me. Now, the Male version looks a little bit better because of the Skin. But I would love to have Bark Skin and Antlers more as an Option.
    I also hope that they won't be to short in size compared with Humans. But I'm fine with the option to have Beards.
  • Options

......... Oh wait...
    [/quote]

Glad someone said what I was thinking here. I really had a back story ready for my Wood elf, up until I saw they were being morphed into Dryads. . . And my next idea was Empyrean raised by the Dryad. But that would be counter productive to node leveling, unless they allow us to denounce our racial heritage and contribute to another of our choosing. Which would be ok then.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2022
    NOOOO. DO NOT ACCODOMATE HORNS IN HELMS AND FORCE HORNS ALL ROUND. SOME OF US DO NOT WANT HORNS.

HELMS ARE A TRADITIONAL SAVIOUR WHEN BASE COSMETIC LOOKS ARE HORRID.

Edit: spelling mistakes
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif