Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

no opt in pvp?

The most fun PVX game I ever played was dark ages of camelot. Which had zone based opt in pvp.

Mostly I am concerned with the abilitity for a small group of PVP players to kill the server/world and what systems are in place to prevent that. A group of 3-4 roving pvpers on coms can generally roll any single player with no chance for them to survive. Most people enjoy solo play.
Most players are filthy casuals who play when they can and don't always have friends on at the same time to harvest or whatever. If there is not a way of stopping this conduct then solo players and casuals will just quit and play something else.

New world's biggest failure was in allowing a small group of pvp players to swap between 4 companies and take all of the territories, set the taxes to maximum and then took all of pve players gold killing servers and ending the game.

With limited towns and the same style of pvp conquest how do you prevent a small group of pvp players from ruining the entire game.

I was really hoping for a PVE server with opt in PVP, but it looks like that is not in the cards. Convince me that this won't be new world 2 "the continued shitting on of casuals."

Comments

• Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Curruption system.

Kill a green, and you turn red. Anyone and everyone can kill a red, without changing from green... next question
  • Options
    So you have a friend or more likely a second account who kills your own red account and gets you points, you lose nothing and actually benefit your second account. Once your killed I am guessing you lose your most all of your corruption. So gank or camp spawn whoever you like just make sure to slip over to your second account to die as much as needed.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Death gives negative exp, and breaks gear. And your "character soul" gets more and more curruption based on past kills. So ganking alot makes you need to die multiple times to remove curruption. Losing all your gear as well. Now you get to spend hours grinding off your negative exp.

Next question.
  • Options
    Ill go ahead and add in game game masters, who will respond to reports and permanently ban greifers..... and your "character souls" recording your kills and deaths will get the accounts cleaning your curruption for you banned as well....
  • Options
    AmrotheAmrothe Member
    edited June 2022
    I admit the breaking of gear will be a deterent if the cost of repairing is less then you get from farming casuals it might stop people who do it for economic reasons, but it will not stop people who do it to ruin other peoples fun. If you use a second account to kill say in low level areas either you can transfer your gear since nothing is bound, to a second account though or your second account can pick it up when he kills you.

If you are max level what does negative xp matter
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I can also tell by how your original post was phrased you dont have a lot of information around ashes. I dont mean to be so, unconfrotational. And really am willing to keep answering questions as you have them. Its just these are like, very on the surface systems everyone here should know about.
  • Options
    I really don't have a lot of information, I read a bit about the corruption system and a bit about types of city control and I decided maybe I should ask a bit more since I have never played the game, but am interested.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Amrothe wrote: »
    I really don't have a lot of information, I read a bit about the corruption system and a bit about types of city control and I decided maybe I should ask a bit more since I have never played the game, but am interested.
    I'd suggest just reading more. It's pretty much all here and in detail
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_corruption
  • Options

If you are max level what does negative xp matter

You delevel..... essentually. Your stats will be reduced as if you are of lower level. And will continue to do so until you are effectivly powerless
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack

Maybe you should do research before proposing changes to the current systems.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    Talents wrote: »

Maybe you should do research before proposing changes to the current systems.

They're fine... just need to realize asking questions all high and mighty armed with only a shield of ignorance wont get you anywhere.
  • Options
    Well I am not proposing anything just asking questions. But I read what was available and I am wondering if the alpha is mainly roving bands of player killers and spawn campers? (This is why flagging was put in New World its alpha test was a camp fest) Not having played yet I am interested in how people actually react to the corruption system. Eg does it work?

Secondly and never really brought up in the responses is whether a small group of city owners can control the server and heavily tax or restrict casuals from playing.

• Options
    This explination may get tedious... and im lazy so im going to attempt a tldr version of like all of it... sorry.

You can look at new world as a "lighter" attempted to be simplified... system similar to ashes. But the system does not work simplified.... as you can see with how new world fell apart.

In ashes, the node system. Areas of the world gain exp and become cities due to players playing in the area. These nodes leveling up generate the content available. So, there is no low level areas. There are only nodes.

The curruption system, players doing nothing, green. Accepted combat state purple, killed a green red. And its verious effect of states that i hope you looked into thanks to nikr

Death. Negative exp, sudo-deleveling, damaging gear. Dying while green makes you drop the most materials. While dying while purple lets you keep some. Incentives you to fight back.

Having a home, and the needs of a home. You have a limited carry weight. You have nowhere to put things. To gain a home you must become a citizen of a node. Becoming a citizen gives you countless "loose allies" as all citizens of the same node shiuld work together. It also gives you "loose enemies" as there may be rival nodes...

Mayor and stuff like defining tax rates have yet to be finalized, but you can assume with new world as an example, these will be tested. Also mayor is an individual, not a guild. And nodes have multiple different ways of deciding mayor.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    In alpha 1 curruption was not a focus of the testing and was disabled most of the time. Alpha 2 will be its real test. But i can say, the settings for negative exp in the alpha was harsh enough that dying a single time even at lvl 4 or 5 was a setback of hours.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Death. Negative exp, sudo-deleveling, damaging gear. Dying while green makes you drop the most materials. While dying while purple lets you keep some. Incentives you to fight back.
    Just as a clarification, dying as green has the standard penalty (whichever it'll be after testing). Dying flagged - 50% penalty. Dying red - 400% penalty.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In alpha 1 curruption was not a focus of the testing and was disabled most of the time. Alpha 2 will be its real test. But i can say, the settings for negative exp in the alpha was harsh enough that dying a single time even at lvl 4 or 5 was a setback of hours.

One Death for me in Alpha-1 was a 12 minute setback on Cleric.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    FerrymanFerryman Member
    edited June 2022
    On paper corruption system looks quite harsh imo and might be a good protection for those who dislikes owPvP. Thus, let's test first and evaluate afterwards.

I would not be that concerned about case New World even it can be a good example to examine and learn what you could do and especially what you should not. Things started to go wrong when they decided to change game concept from hardcore survival MMO to MMORPG. Their owPvP rules were outdated from the beginning and fixing methods later wrong. On top of that the team had very little MMORPG experience why so many part of the game felt just half-baked. The game did not fail just because of the flagging system and there are actually various reasons from economy, quests, enemies, end-game content, you name it... Will see if Amazon Studios will ever get a succesfull game out, not yet apparently. They had around million users at the start so they did something right but failed to deliver the new expectations.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    @Ferryman is right.

Opt-in PvP was one of the largest contributors to New World’s spectacular flameout.
  • Options
    With limited towns and the same style of pvp conquest how do you prevent a small group of pvp players from ruining the entire game.
    1. The map size in Ashes will be, to my knowledge, at least ten times bigger than New World's.
    2. The way each node (town) works is different, you can take over a town via different ways other than PvP. If you want to take over a node, you need a lot of people. To control a node for a long period of time, you need even more people.
    3. If someone attacks you, you won't lose everything you have. so if you're playing solo and get jumped, it's not the end of the world. if you want to make PKers regret killing you, don't fight back. New World's PvP was basically meaningless, no risk (you don't lose anything if you die apart from maybe durability), no reward (reputation lol), that is one of the reasons New World is a dumpster fire, and hopefully it won't be the case with Ashes.
    4. If a guild decides it's a good idea to increase taxes, people will (hopefully) move out. Unless all guilds in the server want to run a cartel and increase taxes, there's always an alternative. And, even if they make a cartel, nothing lasts forever.

Those are facts to the best of my knowledge.

Now, in my opinion, "forced PvP", i.e. PKing, will only really take place between groups trying to hold farming spots, dungeons, bosses, etc. I believe most people won't risk going red to grab 20% of all the iron ore you have on your inventory.

There will be "opt-in" PvP and it's probably going to be very fun, that's what I'm looking forward to the most:
    • Caravans: I loved being a thief in Silkroad and robbing trades/caravans, I can't wait for Ashes';
    • Castle Sieges: these will be epic, hopefully;
    • Battlegrounds/Arena: I hope Ashes ends up implementing both, because it's fun to do some meaningless PvP every now and then and maybe get some cosmetics while doing it;
    • Bounty Hunter: hunting PKers, no risk a lot of reward, I can't complain.

For these reasons and many more there will not be opt-in PvP zones. If things are done right, you won't have to worry about PKers ruining entire servers and you might even want to try it out sometime.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    MerekMerek Member
    Convince you? Get off your high horse, you're just another whiny thread poster that'll come and go, nothing of value lost.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Corruption.
    But, also, a small group of players cannot successfully Siege the entire world of Verra.
  • Options
    By logging in, you are in that moment opting into PvP! That's about the jist of it.
  • Options
    If that were truly the case, I just wouldn't play the game.
    Steven understands the assignment - which is why, in Ashes, non-consensual PvP is punished with Corruption...
    And also why Steven has added harsher penalties than Karma.
  • Options
    SinderSinder Member
    Convince me that this won't be new world 2 "the continued shitting on of casuals."

1. Vote out/outspend/out quest/fight the mayor so they align with your values.
    2. Be social, this is a game that caters to group play
    3. Get gud.
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options
    Ultimately, if that was truly the core of the game, I just wouldn't play.
    I like my socializing to be free of conflict with other people - if possible.
    In RPGs, I prefer to use social skills to avoid combat - even with mobs and NPCs.
    Getting good is subjective.
  • Options
    SinderSinder Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    I like my socializing to be free of conflict with other people - if possible.

Only science nodes will have the voting mechanic. Other towns you'll have to engage in economic PvP, 1v1 arenas or quest line pvp to become the most pious religious fanatic.
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I mean... you can personally label that PvP if you want to, but...
    Most people use PvP as shorthand for direct PvP combat.

But, even then, if Economic conflict were too high, I also just wouldn't play the game.
    Conflict with other players in an RPG is more of a deterrent than it is a draw.
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited June 2022
    So you have a friend or more likely a second account who kills your own red account and gets you points, you lose nothing and actually benefit your second account. Once your killed I am guessing you lose your most all of your corruption. So gank or camp spawn whoever you like just make sure to slip over to your second account to die as much as needed.

You loose like 4 times (as a combatant 2 times the loss of being green) the XP or something when u die as a red so even if an alt kills you ur still loosing time in that regards

Greens (Innocent players) there death penalty will result in loss of Xp and 50% of resources (Just random numbers atm)
    Purple players (Combatant green players who fight back when they get attacked) Dieing a combatant is half the XP loss and a green players and 25% of resources dropped) this is to incentivise fighting back
    Red players Corrupted players killed to many people who are green and didnt defend themself these will receive 2 times the XP penalty of green players (4 times that of purple) aswell as chance to drop equipment along with there resources (Think its 100% drop on resources) equipment drop i beleive they need to be heavily corrupted

Only killing green give corruption hit so if they fight back you wont get a penalty and there reward for defending is to keep half the stuff they would of loss.

im a pvper myself however mindless killing which most people will see as ganking smaller groups as shallow/goaless if i do mindless killing it tend to be agaist even numbers or close to it where they can win cause that help increase pvp skills.
    That also beingsaid what i hope for Ashes here tbh is to punish mindless/goaless killing and have emphesis on meaningful pvp this tend to be defending territories or preventing/slowing enemies faction/towns from progressing or even expanding territories.

Im hoping ashes will bring alot of dynamic with the node system where you are able to war players of other nodes and not get a penalty for killing players citizen to said node however there an upkeep of some kinda to sustain this long term so you can just war everyone, Political pvp is always a rather unique/fun experience take darkfall for example nations forms and crumbled as people form coutner nation or grew to large the broke appart it was ever changing and had a politic map and everything players made. Kingdom of wessex formed in the east which was a huge alliance of people and eventually smaller faction banded together to fight them off which they then crumbled after that was was done and then new ones formed and so on was interesting.

• Options
    Its better to let them kill you and take the 50% xp loss.if you are purple they stay purple and will attack you they will simply do it again and you will end up losing even more xp.

~big brain~
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Its better to let them kill you and take the 50% xp loss.if you are purple they stay purple and will attack you they will simply do it again and you will end up losing even more xp.

~big brain~

Their is no fast travel... you spawn at your home node..... unless they killed you in your own town, you probably will not see them again that day...