Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

no opt in pvp?

13»

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Doesn't really matter how hard a player is RPing.
    What the server/game tracks in an MMORPG are the stories of the characters that are created on the server.
    The story does not track what the player ate, it tracks what the character ate.

Any MMORPG story is going to track what each character knows.
    The player skill is different than the character skill - especially in an MMORPG with no P2W.
    If a player has a Level 50 Tank, when they start a new character, that new character will start at Level 50 Tank, rather the new character will start at Level 1.
    If I make a Py'Rai character named Dygz, the story told by the game will be of a Py'Rai named Dygz; not a Human named Dygz. And it's going to be the story of whatever class or profession I choose in the game, rather than the story of an IT guy who used to work at Activision.

I'm not talking about RP that is outside of what the game is tracking for each character.

If I only have a character called Billy with 50 PvP kills and a character called Boris with 75 PvP kills, there is not going to be a story in the game that says the player Dygz made 125 PvP kills.
    Gamers who know I run both of those characters might talk about how I as a player have 125 kills, but the story of the server won't recognize that. It will only tell the story of each character.
  • Options
    There are two separate concerns here so I'm going to quote them separately -
    Amrothe wrote: »
    The most fun PVX game I ever played was dark ages of camelot. Which had zone based opt in pvp.

Mostly I am concerned with the abilitity for a small group of PVP players to kill the server/world and what systems are in place to prevent that. A group of 3-4 roving pvpers on coms can generally roll any single player with no chance for them to survive. Most people enjoy solo play.
    Most players are filthy casuals who play when they can and don't always have friends on at the same time to harvest or whatever. If there is not a way of stopping this conduct then solo players and casuals will just quit and play something else.

This is a valid concern but based on experience playing with players like this, I think two things will solve this:

1. The Corruption system, if designed well, will deter them from going on mass killing sprees. It will even lessen the amount of random PKs they do "just for fun" because they'll get tired of constantly having corruption and having to constantly work it off.
    2. These types of players get bored of that sort of gameplay quickly and quit within a month or so unless they get hooked on one of the other gameplay options Ashes provides (like Caravans, sieges, and other essentially opt-in systems).
    Amrothe wrote: »
    New world's biggest failure was in allowing a small group of pvp players to swap between 4 companies and take all of the territories, set the taxes to maximum and then took all of pve players gold killing servers and ending the game.

With limited towns and the same style of pvp conquest how do you prevent a small group of pvp players from ruining the entire game.

I was really hoping for a PVE server with opt in PVP, but it looks like that is not in the cards. Convince me that this won't be new world 2 "the continued shitting on of casuals."

I'd say there are other issues with New World's territory/node system as well. For one the "shell company" thing is a major issue right now as well that essentially means only a handful of guilds ever get to do wars on a regular basis, and within that company it's only a select few who get on the war roster.

So certainly some things in New World's War/Territory system that would be good for Intrepid to look at in order to avoid.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited June 2022
    The guild that owns the node should be the one that decides who is in the war, it shouldn't be a random que of people. That isn't competitive or challenging and just is a rng mess of players. Not everyone should be able to get into top wars just because they want to, that is like a by weekly - monthly event it needs to be a serious one where someone does the best they can to win. For random pub matches there should be arena and battlegrounds.

If you aren't happy you can't get int he war, either dec them to take the territory for yourself or another. Or join their guild and become a player they want in the war.

Nothing would be more annoying then having your guild and not being able to have the members you need int he war, and its filled with a bunch of people that don't care, dont know what to do and you waste not just like a hour of your time. But Tons of hours with everything you lose on top of it, people would be pissed.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Mag7spy Guilds won't own nodes. As a node grows, up to 3 guilds can be formally associated with a node, but there will be many node citizens besides the guild. A node is a bigger entity, a single guild is insufficient to level up a node.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    @Mag7spy Guilds won't own nodes. As a node grows, up to 3 guilds can be formally associated with a node, but there will be many node citizens besides the guild. A node is a bigger entity, a single guild is insufficient to level up a node.

If a guild is the mayor i view the guild owns the node as they control the direction.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited June 2022
    Otr wrote: »
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    If you aren't happy you can't get int he war, either dec them to take the territory for yourself or another. Or join their guild and become a player they want in the war.
    What means "to dec"?

Edit* Declare war on their territory
  • Options
    I mean, depends on what Node Type it is, but the Mayor's guild does not automatically govern the Node. Especially not Scientific Nodes.
    Mayor is not the only government official.
    The Node government can choose which non-citizens can participate in Node Wars. All citizens of the Node will be flagged as combatants in Node Wars. Foreign citizens of other Nodes can be declared enemies of the Node.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    I mean, depends on what Node Type it is, but the Mayor's guild does not automatically govern the Node. Especially not Scientific Nodes.
    Mayor is not the only government official.
    The Node government can choose which non-citizens can participate in Node Wars. All citizens of the Node will be flagged as combatants in Node Wars. Foreign citizens of other Nodes can be declared enemies of the Node.

Who else besides mayor controls the development of the node? Never heard of anything else being able to do all of that stuff in relationship to build node, declaring, etc. I know the mayor can promote people im pretty sure but that still means it all relates to the mayor.
  • Options
    Do people even research the game, before posting on the forum?
  • Options
    Leaders of Social Orgs, Hierarchies with the Social Orgs: Priests, Bishops, Acolytes, Patron Guild leader, Chief Bounty Hunter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNxy9Xsx_Dc&t=4848s
    mark: 1:20:48

"As a citizen you are granted the privilege of participating in a node’s government. From voting to running for office. The government has a lot of say in the direction of the nodes development. Directing assets, building projects, tax allocation, defensive ability etc. Players have the ability to not only create these cities, but they have the right of self-governance. Guild’s also hold separate roles in the direction of the node, than the roles held by private citizens, and only a certain number of guilds may participate in these roles. Separate guild roles are reserved for Small size guilds, medium size guilds and large size guilds."
    ---Steven
    https://www.mmogames.com/articles/archives/interview-ashes-of-creation-wants-bring-virtual-world-life