Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Hot topic - PvP servers without corruption and full loot.

Thoughts, is this something people might want?

Comments

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    No. I want the PvX game Steven has described for the last 6 years.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    As a weekend event, sure.

As a full server? Nope.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

As a full server? Nope.

I wouldn't do this as a weekend event tbh, couldn't in good faith have anyone play a hardcore server without them opting in willingly.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    F that sheeeeeet
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »

As a full server? Nope.

I wouldn't do this as a weekend event tbh, couldn't in good faith have anyone play a hardcore server without them opting in willingly.

They would opt in.

On a given weekend, you open up a temporary server with no corruption and full loot. Path of Exile used to do temporary servers with altered rulesets quite often (they over did them, people got bored).
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    I wouldnt want entire servers like this no. Need that PvX as a whole. But I have suggested making certain areas of open deep water corruptionless.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Why so many threads looking for special server rulesets?
    Leave all servers under the same rules. Just as has been planned since the start.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's kind of a counter-point to the recent PvE-Server topic.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2022
    Boring. I'd rather play a survival game.
  • Options
    SinderSinder Member
    No thanks. PvX sounds fun
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options
    Thoughts, is this something people might want?

Yeah perhaps. At least it would appeal to certain type of players. Of course even to consider this developers needs to evaluate where sections of the game open full loot rules would affect and how much tweak and design work that would take. Additionally, this would need research that could this kind of audiance be actually interested of AoC.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    I will always lean toward looking for more open ideas in allowing "evil" players more agency but full loot is an extreme stance because it requires a game to properly work around it, you can't just have a ton of content and graft with such a potential loss.

In Ultima Online full loot was just used to show the gravity and importance of your life but you could easily say this was warranted due to gameplay and content limitations back in day.
    We all have to accept that a hella lot of people want to learn and enjoy through respawn, regardless of the potential and difficult thrills you can get from safeguarding your life and current powers.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    It's kind of a counter-point to the recent PvE-Server topic.

Im mainly bringing it up to see what more hardcore pvpers think and if they support it. Which might get them to think maybe full pvp isn't the best idea if they cant handle something like this.

Even though I'm bringing it up I'm indifferent to it, doesn't really matter to me. I'd play a normal servers just want to see what people say for discussion until we get that live stream for new discussions lol.
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    We could zerg a lvl50 with an army of lvls1, then kill each to see who gets his armor and sword :D

No but really, this would be more like Rust, this game imo fits perfectly with the PvX.
  • Options
    I feel the same way about it as I did about PvE servers... I don't care if they are there, I won't be playing on them though.

If enough people want it and enjoy it, then by all means go for it.
  • Options
    Marcet wrote: »
    We could zerg a lvl50 with an army of lvls1, then kill each to see who gets his armor and sword :D

No but really, this would be more like Rust, this game imo fits perfectly with the PvX.

Equipped gear wouldn't drop just anything in the inventory like old school mmorpgs.
  • Options
    BobTheMagicalFishBobTheMagicalFish Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Agree with @CROW3 here, keeping it PvX just as we’ve been promised and just as Steven has been describing is best.

No corruption and full loot will require too much to work around for it to be even remotely balanced. If that is possible. Full loot PvP also drives AoC to a survivor game direction, imo. Not a fan.

If they chose to add it, certain areas where you can kill without gaining corruption might be a nice touch, but not really fussed about that. The PvX we have now seems fine as is.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited June 2022
    Arlysal wrote: »
    Agree with @CROW3 here, keeping it PvX just as we’ve been promised and just as Steven has been describing is best.

No corruption and full loot will require too much to work around for it to be even remotely balanced. If that is possible. Full loot PvP also drives AoC to a survivor game direction, imo. Not a fan.

If they chose to add it, certain areas where you can kill without gaining corruption might be a nice touch, but not really fussed about that. The PvX we have now seems fine as is.

I think there is a misunderstanding, it still is PvX. There wouldn't be much to work around its just a hardcore pvp server where people can fight to their hearts content without limits and politics being more important, more people pissed off at others, etc. Its fully player driven rather then controlled by the rules of corruption.
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Curruption is needed for ashes to function because of the node system......

There are no low level zones. Only nodes. So max levels and noobs are going to be living on the same towns. Low levels cant even do their quests or dungeons if max ranks can be allowed to one shot them in passing just in case they had loot. There is no where thats truly safe in ashes, but the curruption system lets the world function dispite that. Without it nodes cant function properly
  • Options
    Corruption is needed for ashes to function because of the node system......

There are no low level zones. Only nodes. So max levels and noobs are going to be living on the same towns. Low levels cant even do their quests or dungeons if max ranks can be allowed to one shot them in passing just in case they had loot. There is no where thats truly safe in ashes, but the corruption system lets the world function despite that. Without it nodes cant function properly

Other mmos have function like that in the pas the same way, the world just needs to be big enough. All of that bad parts are intended gameplay and why its a hardcore type that will not be for everyone that is for sure.

Also people complaining about not enough pvp should like an idea where its not limited, all people will be looked at as mobs that can drop loot. After a time people will learn to work together though its not easy to fully predict.

Again people wanting more free pvp in ashes if this idea scared them away they should be more happy with current system ideas over wanting to be people to kill people more freely. Makes me think they want to grief rather then you use already current in game systems for pvp and guild dec.
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited June 2022
    I want a PvX game that being said i wouldnt mind seeing a corrupted zone or a couple designated spot where that have this however.

maybe if player fail an event or something the zone becomes corrupted for X time or till X thing happen and when it in this corrupted state there no corruption penalty/high death penalty in regards to loot i would rather full inventory drop over equipment however. however there should be more of a reward for being in said area too in regards for PvE or what not
  • Options
    It could be actually interesting concept if open world rules would change and progress with node progression from safer to more dangerous when node levels up. Anyhow, at least economy would work great if portion of items are destroyed and sinked always when loot drops.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Corruption is needed for ashes to function because of the node system......

There are no low level zones. Only nodes. So max levels and noobs are going to be living on the same towns. Low levels cant even do their quests or dungeons if max ranks can be allowed to one shot them in passing just in case they had loot. There is no where thats truly safe in ashes, but the corruption system lets the world function despite that. Without it nodes cant function properly

Other mmos have function like that in the pas the same way,

Name one other mmo, with the node system where the content all exists in the same place because the people being there is creating it........ how big the world is doesnt matter. Unless a large amount of players are playing near each other no content will exist.........

I didnt think i would need to explain this... but, nothing exists in ashes without a large group of players in one place. Nothing. Endless fields mountains and forests, and basic trash mobs. No world bosses, no quests. No anything. Until players build up the nodes.

A server with no curruption, would have to manage to build up towns for there to be anything to do. And i mean. It would be interesting to see this attempted. All the player deaths around the stating nodes being part of the exp that builds them up i guess.. but people leaving areas, because there is too many people killing anyone, makes the node delevel and content go away. And then those gankers move to the next city, run everyone out of town and it all happens again. Until you run people off your server, and because merges means a complete reset of the world, back to no content existing.
  • Options
    Doesn't have to have a node system. Shadowbane had one central city people were sent to when they died, low levels and high levels. Also the city your teleport scool was linked to and high levels would run past the city through the low level areas and kill them. Closest to node element about that is that you can pick areas to build the base and upgrade it.
  • Options
    Doesn't have to have a node system. Shadowbane had one central city people were sent to when they died, low levels and high levels. Also the city your teleport scool was linked to and high levels would run past the city through the low level areas and kill them. Closest to node element about that is that you can pick areas to build the base and upgrade it.

Yes. But those places dont dissapear if you run the players off, like they will in ashes.
  • Options

Yes. But those places dont dissapear if you run the players off, like they will in ashes.

If your base gets sieged in shadowbane you lose a spawn point for your guild and its destroyed so its just a empty ground after. Either way im just saying it could be done in ashes, though personally its a very very niche group that enjoys it. As much as i like pvp I don't want my progression lost too often and these servers die faster then most or are just tiny.

PvX is the way to go in building something that last and is more fun and fair imo with the right balance.
  • Options
    Sure would do this but only if it was perma death.
  • Options
    Amrothe wrote: »

O.O. The moment I realize someone is more hardcore than me.
  • Options
    Amrothe wrote: »

Perma death would balance it as to having enough risk involved for ganking every living thing. Im down
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited June 2022
    If you die in ashes you die irl.
    edit* Now we just need the SAO vr headsets