Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Would a Mage Tower type instance appeal to the everyday player.

I'd like to hear peoples yes or no answers to if a mage tower would be a cool addition to the base game. The reasoning is to have more single player content that is challenging allows for something to strive for that wont require other players so if you have a small amount of time on your hands you can spend it mastering your class and unlocking a cool cosmetic that only players with your class can use.

If you don't know what the Mage Tower is refer to anything on YouTube video about mage tower by Blizzard and its one of the best content they've released in recent times that has lived up to the hype even years later.
Leave comments after yes or no i just wanted to clarify this part.

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    KDecisionz wrote: »
    yes or no
    Maybe
  • Options
    ykkykk Member
    edited July 2022
    Depends on how the the difficulty is accomplished, really.

Solo Deep Dungeon in FFXIV is "difficult single player content" with the reward being unique and rare titles, with "The Necromancer" (Clearing floors 1-200 of Palace of the Dead solo) having barely 1k players having accomplished it, and "Lone Hero" (Heaven-on-High 1-100 solo) has slightly more completes than that.

The difficulty comes from the fact that it is less class mastery and more weird and unique janky mechanic mastery and patience, which is not really the same thing. Making solo content hard that doesn't swerve in that direction and is not simply a gear check is honestly really difficult in a game focused around group content. I appreciate that it exists in FFXIV, and how difficult and 'prestigious' it is, but I don't know if I'd say it has broad spectrum appeal to actually do.

astra mortemque superare gradatim
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I thought this was an MMO?

Why remove players from an open world and put them in a solo instance?
    I don't think they should divide the community up like other games have done.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Id rather have more group content than single player content.
  • Options
    I think there is 100% space for Instanced solo content. Of course, the game is fundamentally based on being social, grouping up and engaging with other players. However, there are times when playing an MMORPG (and let's face it, for some of us that means potentially dozens of hours a week) that having some solo content to chill to with the music playing whilst maybe you wait for friends to come online is a great option. I love group and guild content, discord etc. Having a few options to take a break away from that in-game is only a good thing IMO.
  • Options
    No

Admittedly, I couldn't find much information on it. Regardless, my hope is that there are lots of worthwhile solo activities in the open world.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2022
    No to solo stuff.
    No to instanced stuff.

Especially if this activity has a benefit. Why split groups of players into doing their solo crap.
    I was so angry with esos solo arenas.
    "Where is everybody? Oh yeah, playing solo instances."
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    I like Mage Towers, but I’d want to do it as a group.

The solo, hyper-casual content put out by Blizzard is kind of the inverse direction that Ashes is going.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hell na - I want the Tower of Insolence from Lineage 2

That's how you do it
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    TOI rocked in so many ways. Even Cruma was great in the early days.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    yes or no
    Maybe

<3 love it XD
  • Options
    ykk wrote: »
    Depends on how the the difficulty is accomplished, really.

Solo Deep Dungeon in FFXIV is "difficult single player content" with the reward being unique and rare titles, with "The Necromancer" (Clearing floors 1-200 of Palace of the Dead solo) having barely 1k players having accomplished it, and "Lone Hero" (Heaven-on-High 1-100 solo) has slightly more completes than that.

The difficulty comes from the fact that it is less class mastery and more weird and unique janky mechanic mastery and patience, which is not really the same thing. Making solo content hard that doesn't swerve in that direction and is not simply a gear check is honestly really difficult in a game focused around group content. I appreciate that it exists in FFXIV, and how difficult and 'prestigious' it is, but I don't know if I'd say it has broad spectrum appeal to actually do.

Ill look up what this Solo Deep Dungeon is but from wow its 1 dungeon that is specifically tailored to your class and spec and you are set at a specific item level so you cant out gear it you can do it under geared if you'd like more of challenge though. So the gear part is not an issue and i don't think the content should be so hard that 1% of players can complete it there's room for content like that to me but everything should be achievable with some dedication and practice. It should be hard but not Lube me up Hard you know? XD
    I'm not that casual but i do enjoy ALOT of casual content outside of try Harding but most games just don't have that really. I think casual is a broader term than some people give it credit. Its not only brain dead content, like gathering you gather because you want mats but that's not casual content its braindead you watch Netflix on the next screen while this happens, casual content can be like dragon riding in the new wow expansion or guild wars 2 where they stole it from and its something you just play with have a good time not staring at a second monitor for minutes at a time.
  • Options
    I thought this was an MMO?

Why remove players from an open world and put them in a solo instance?
    I don't think they should divide the community up like other games have done.

That's fine but there is still room for this wars will be instanced otherwise it doesn't work. Instance content can be Neche content that allows the developers to do something special, if anyone plays an MMO open world wise the things you can do are limited because of technology, thinking that instance content is bad for a "mmo" is being counter productive to the future of the genre as a whole.

If you make a mage tower lets say for argument sake in the open world how does it function how does it know what class you are how do other players not support you and or grief you? Ive played MMOs since i was in 4th grade elementary i want open world and a community i love that but i also understand that instance content is one of the best ways to make things HARD or Different because again of technology IRL its just not possible to do somethings not in a instance because the coding is just really either difficult or not possible, and even on the difficult front it wont be able to be "different" and have cool new things because of limitations.
  • Options
    KDecisionzKDecisionz Member
    edited July 2022
    Mag7spy wrote: »

100% agreed but there will be times where you have work in 30mins and want to progress your character in something meaningful to you.
    You also may be watching kids or have kids of your own and need something to do that wont take up to much attention span. Maybe you can kind of pause half way threw and not waist peoples time.
    Solo and team content can coexist they aren't mutually exclusive its up to the devs to see what kind of split they want for that but lets wander what can be <3
  • Options
    how do other players not support you and or grief you?

And, what makes you think we'd grief you?!

look-smile.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Craiken wrote: »
    No

Admittedly, I couldn't find much information on it. Regardless, my hope is that there are lots of worthwhile solo activities in the open world.

Im sorry i dont know if there is a reply button I'm just starting to use this forum more but i kinda answered this in of the ones above so just refer to that but to make it short Instance/open world/single player/group/Raid content can all live together in harmony to give players the best of all worlds.
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I like Mage Towers, but I’d want to do it as a group.

The solo, hyper-casual content put out by Blizzard is kind of the inverse direction that Ashes is going.

i agree with what blizzard is doing but im using there mage tower as an example. Why cant there be a solo and a Group version of a Mage tower? It would just take more time from a group perspective because that requires the devs to know all 64 classes and tailor a raid to having 8 of those 64 in it which is probably impossible. or maybe they can have say a 8 archetypes can do this one and only those classes so the instance will be tailored to them and test there skill but again its harder to do because you must do that X how ever many combinations of 64 archetypes you can have
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    Hell na - I want the Tower of Insolence from Lineage 2

That's how you do it

Never seen it ill look into it Mage Tower is just my only interaction with a dungeon made just for your class/spec to push you to push your class to its limits using all your weird funky abilities that you normally don't press. Not against what you are saying for sure. <3
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Make said tower a party and not solo content and I would be in.

However Intrepid have claimed they're trying to steer away from Instanced content as much as possible -- leaving some specific raids only as instanced apparently.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean... Ashes will have solo, instanced content.
    So, I dunno why some form of this couldn't be part of that.
    Doesn't necessarily have to be exactly like WoW's version.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »

100% agreed but there will be times where you have work in 30mins and want to progress your character in something meaningful to you.
    You also may be watching kids or have kids of your own and need something to do that wont take up to much attention span. Maybe you can kind of pause half way threw and not waist peoples time.
    Solo and team content can coexist they aren't mutually exclusive its up to the devs to see what kind of split they want for that but lets wander what can be <3

Do not agree with this at all, i dont want WoW where people just jump into solo content to progress your character in a instance.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    Did I miss something or do you mean 1v1 arenas and apartments as "instanced solo content"?
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It would be interesting if one of the node types could focus on repeatable pve experiences, like how the militart nodes will have areas.

Say the scientific node had a mage tower building that could be made, which is single player, small group, and full party repeatable content. With a potential leader boards for speed runs.
  • Options
    MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Personally, I'm not interested in a solo experience in an MMO. I like that AoC is trying to go back to the traditional roots of what made MMO communities great in the past and encourage cooperation and in world rivalries.

The only time I think players should have a instanced bubble away from other players is if they're already in party doing a specificly limited quest event. Class mastery should be based on your perfomance working together in all sorts of different groups and adapting.

I think even just trying to create a classes/content that require very specific gear/class setups is the start to the slippery slope that makes balancing and min-maxing a problem. Challenges which give prestige should be scaled to group content, not to individual players.
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    MaiWaifu wrote: »
    Personally, I'm not interested in a solo experience in an MMO. I like that AoC is trying to go back to the traditional roots of what made MMO communities great in the past and encourage cooperation and in world rivalries.

The only time I think players should have a instanced bubble away from other players is if they're already in party doing a specificly limited quest event. Class mastery should be based on your perfomance working together in all sorts of different groups and adapting.

I think even just trying to create a classes/content that require very specific gear/class setups is the start to the slippery slope that makes balancing and min-maxing a problem. Challenges which give prestige should be scaled to group content, not to individual players.

I wouldnt say im "interested" in solo content.

I would more say, i want the world to feel complete. And to me, a small part of that complete world, is some activities that wouldnt require a squad of people. I think a person being able to be an individual of importance is somewhat important to the over all world. But yeah, like 95% of content should be made with MMO in mind.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Why cant there be a solo and a Group version of a Mage tower?

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule, it's about prioritizing effort to support the key goals for the game. Intrepid's bent is toward group content so players solve problems together. It's the difference between group play and parallel play.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    NiKr wrote: »
    Did I miss something or do you mean 1v1 arenas and apartments as "instanced solo content"?
    Sounds like you missed something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DABir_vvMfY&amp;t=2632s
    mark 43:52

"There will still be instanced dungeons. Some instanced dungeons will be present and those will be created for, you know, whether there's a solo questline or a group questline."
    ---Steven
  • Options
    Huge difference between instanced dungeon and a repeatable tower you can solo and use to gear up. Literarily leads to everyone being like i need to do this solo stuff to get some gear before i do group things. If you don't have more than 30 minutes just do something for that time and jump off. You don't need content around having everyone in the game having a reason to not group. When they could create more content revolving around grouping as the game is being made for and not solo content as far as balanced is concerned.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited July 2022
    Sounds like you missed something.
    Yep, didn't know this and couldn't find this on the wiki, so thx.

edit: found it just now on the "dungeons" page. Shoulda checked there too smh
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

You saying that can easily mislead people... that instanced and solo content are only for your main questline, all the best and repeatable content (endgame) that drops good shit is group open world (PVP competitive) content

pretty sure when people say they want "instanced dungeons" they ain't talking about the Deadmines in WoW, something you only do a few times during leveling - they are talking about repeatable endgame stuff - which is not something you should expect from AoC
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui