Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Would a Mage Tower type instance appeal to the everyday player.

13»

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    NiKr wrote: »
    To me when someone says "I only have 30 mins to play, but want meaningful drops from a solo instance" - that's not a small cosmetic, that's a good piece of gear for barely any work. And I'm assuming that's Mag's take on that line too. Obviously Dygz' take is different. And this brings even more disagreement on the issue.
    But, the full quote is: "There will be times where you have work in 30mins and want to progress your character in something meaningful to you."

That does not imply, "any time I want to do play 30 minutes before work."
    That implies, "sometimes I will only have 30 minutes before work."
    And 30 minutes does not imply repeatable farming. Mage Tower might.
    But, that's why you say - like I did - an Ashes Mage Tower is not going to be exactly like a WoW Mage Tower.
    And... if you wish to go through the parameters of Ashes solo instanced content, of course do so.

"Progress your character in something meaningful to you..." sounds like something other than a good piece of gear.
    I dunno how you twist "a cool cosmetic" into "a good piece of gear". A cosmetic is different than a piece of gear.
    Ashes has a variety of progression paths. Like Social Orgs and Religions. Not just the Adventurer path.
    So, sure, if you are obsessed with Adventurer path progression and only acquiring rewards that will help you significantly progress the Adventurer path, you might perceive that the only thing meaninful pertains to that, but...
    In Ashes, progressing the Adventurer path is not the only meaningful form of progression.

"Something meaningful to you..." could be Social Orgs, or Religions. Could be Naval progression or Racial progression. Could be Artisan progression.
    When I think of a Mage Tower, in Ashes... I expect that to be associated with a Scholar's Academy. Especially if the rewards mentioned are a cosmetic. Since Social Orgs reward special cosmetics.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited July 2022
    Dygz wrote: »
    To me when someone says "I only have 30 mins to play, but want meaningful drops from a solo instance" - that's not a small cosmetic, that's a good piece of gear for barely any work. And I'm assuming that's Mag's take on that line too. Obviously Dygz' take is different. And this brings even more disagreement on the issue.
    But, the full quote is: "There will be times where you have work in 30mins and want to progress your character in something meaningful to you."

That does not imply, "any time I want to do play 30 minutes before work."
    That implies, "sometimes I will only have 30 minutes before work."
    And 30 minutes does not imply repeatable farming. Mage Tower might.
    But, that's why you say - like I did - an Ashes Mage Tower is not going to be exactly like a WoW Mage Tower.
    And... if you wish to go through the parameters of Ashes solo instanced content, of course do so.

"Progress your character in something meaningful to you..." sounds like something other than a good piece of gear.
    I dunno how you twist "a cool cosmetic" into "a good piece of gear". A cosmetic is different than a piece of gear.
    Ashes has a variety of progression paths. Like Social Orgs and Religions. Not just the Adventurer path.
    So, sure, if you are obsessed with Adventurer path progression and only acquiring rewards that will help you significantly progress the Adventurer path, you might perceive that the only thing meaninful pertains to that, but...
    In Ashes, progressing the Adventurer path is not the only meaningful form of progression.

"Something meaningful to you..." could be Social Orgs, or Religions. Could be Naval progression or Racial progression. Could be Artisan progression.
    When I think of a Mage Tower, in Ashes... I expect that to be associated with a Scholar's Academy. Especially if the rewards mentioned are a cosmetic. Since Social Orgs reward special cosmetics.

Your mistake is comparing concepts already created in other games with set gameplay loops to AoC. The example given was 30 minutes before work so of course its not limited to that, you would expect to be able to do it consistently through years of playing the game. That would mean a lot of solo instanced content right there alone all to do with just the mage tower concept from another game.

He said meaningful to you in my content as he goes further in depth after his first post as he replied to others...
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    5g on 15 pages. Any takers?

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    CROW3 wrote: »
    5g on 15 pages. Any takers?
    This a hot topic potentially. I'd say 10 pages by the end of August.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    And that's exactly why I went from cosmetics to gear pieces. Cause "meaningful to you" can mean whateverthefuck.
    But that's you applying your knowledge of the potential Ashes design to the suggestion, while everyone else took the suggestion at its face value. That being "what it was in wow", because that's what the OP referenced. Yes, I could project AoC's design on whatever feature I know, but usually when someone uses an example from another game, w/o explicitly stating details - they mean the exact feature they're referencing and not what it might be in the game. And the very first sentence from OP is literally "I'd like to hear peoples yes or no answers to if a mage tower would be a cool addition to the base game". There's no indication that they're trying to change that feature to fit the Ashes design. That sentence tells me "I think this exact thing could be a good addition to the game".

And I personally dunno how that whole first message can be read in any other way. Which is exactly why Mag aggroed on you "defending" OP's suggestion. Yes, you said that it could be different, but then, by definition, it would stop being "Mage Tower". It'd just be a one-off instance that gives some small thing (considering what's been stated about Ashes instances), at which point it's very arguable whether that small thing can be considered "meaningful".
  • Options
    Doubt it will be 10 pages not much else to say, if the idea is changed to fit AoC that is a new topic i have nothing to be against really.

Pretty sure is aid before i think it be cool to have this giant mysterious tower people can see with hard or a special type of especially changeling content people can do and see how far they can get. But at the same time allow it so a solo player can do it and challenge themselves. Perhaps its content made for groups of 4-8 or something. (end game)
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    No it is up to the OP to make a better example that doesn't sound or is linked to anything repeatable....his following statement leans on the repeated side.
    LMAO
    No. It's up to you to ask questions instead of twisting stuff people actually said into stuff they didn't actually say.
    You are taking words and response too literal on a forum. If they were going into depth in a post and talking about certain mechanics etc then that would be fine to take it point to point. But it is just a quick naa post people are fine to exaggerate a bit for impact.
    LMFAO
    Coming from the person who is saying that "Mage Tower" has to literally be like a "Mage Tower" in other games.

In Ashes, a Tank is not exactly like a tank in other games. In Ashes, a Tank is a Primary Archetype.
    In Ashes, a class is not excatly like a class in other games. In Ashes, a class is the combo of Primary and Secondary Archetypes.
    In Ashes, a battlegrounds is not exactly like a battlegrounds in other games. In Ashes, a battlegrounds is any skirmish where everyone is auto-flagged as a Combatant and death penalties do not apply: Caravans and Sieges.

So... in Ashes, we should not expect a Mage Tower to function exactly like a Mage Tower in other games.

And, no, when someone says that they want the rewards to be a cosmetic, we should take that to literally be a cosmetic, rather than twisting what they actually said and assuming the really mean "a good piece of gear".
    Talk about the specific mechanics the person actually mentioned, instead of making mechanics up in your head.

What you should be doing, as I advised you previously, is taking some time to check to see where you do agree with what people have written - instead of myopically obsessing over where you think you disagree.
    Especially you - you need to check to be sure you properly understood what people wrote before arguing points the person never made as if the person actually made the points you think they did.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    But that's you applying your knowledge of the potential Ashes design to the suggestion, while everyone else took the suggestion at its face value. That being "what it was in wow", because that's what the OP referenced. Yes, I could project AoC's design on whatever feature I know, but usually when someone uses an example from another game, w/o explicitly stating details - they mean the exact feature they're referencing and not what it might be in the game. And the very first sentence from OP is literally "I'd like to hear peoples yes or no answers to if a mage tower would be a cool addition to the base game". There's no indication that they're trying to change that feature to fit the Ashes design. That sentence tells me "I think this exact thing could be a good addition to the game".
    1: Of course, I'm going to be applying my knowlege of the Ashes game design to examine how a proposed feature might fit into the game.
    2: What you say the OP tells you is not actually what the OP said. Exact is something you've added which wasn't stated in the OP.
    3: More importantly, my very first post here specifically states: "Doesn't necessarily have to be exactly like WoW's version." So, no one should be reading what I wrote and inferring that I think an Ashes Mage Tower should be exactly like a WoW Mage Tower.

And that's exactly why I went from cosmetics to gear pieces. Cause "meaningful to you" can mean whateverthefuck.
    Um. There should be no way that "a cool cosmetic" can be twisted to "whatever the fuck you want, like a good piece of gear."

Again, the full quote states: "There will be times where you have work in 30mins and want to progress your character in something meaningful to you.
    It does not state "Whenever you want to aquire an item that is meaningful to you."
    The OP speaks about progressing in a progression path that is meaningful to you.
    How your bias mistakenly interprets that is on you.

And I personally dunno how that whole first message can be read in any other way. Which is exactly why Mag aggroed on you "defending" OP's suggestion. Yes, you said that it could be different, but then, by definition, it would stop being "Mage Tower". It'd just be a one-off instance that gives some small thing (considering what's been stated about Ashes instances), at which point it's very arguable whether that small thing can be considered "meaningful".
    The OP doesn't know whether it's possible for a Mage Tower to fit within the Ashes design. Which is why they asked what we thought.
    "No to solo stuff. No to instanced stuff." is more misleading than "Ashes will have solo, instanced content."

In Ashes, a class doesn't stop being a class just because it's not exactly like a class in other games.
    A Tank doesn't stop being a Tank just because it's not exactly like a tank in other games.
    A battlegrounds doesn't stop being a battlegrounds just because it's not exactly like a battlegrounds in other games.
    A Vek doesn't stop being an Orc just because it's not exactly like an Orc in other games.
    A Nikua doesn't stop being a Dwarf just because it's not exactly like a Dwarf in other games.
    A Py'Rai doesn't stop being an Elf just because it's not exactly like an Elf in other games.

So, when people ask for features - yes - you should be trying to figure out how that would fit into what we know of the Ashes game design.
    I specifically stated "I dunno why some form of this couldn't be part of that. Doesn't necessarily have to be exactly like WoW's version."
    If you consider a cool cosmetic to be a small thing - OK.
    That "one-off instance for a cool cosmetic" could be something that is done when you only have 30 minutes - after days or weeks of group content you've done (tens of hours) to rise through the ranks of the Social Org.

But, that's really my point...
    People read solo, or instanced or casual - and then aggro as they lose their minds thinking that none of that should be supported in Ashes.
    Even though we know that solo content and instanced content and casual content are all part of the game design.
    So.... what will that content look like? How might the suggested feature fit within the parameters and constraints of what we know of the Ashes game design?

The label isn't necessarily as important as the literal descriptions of the proposed mechanics.
    But, if you can twist "a cool cosmetic" into "a good piece of gear"... well, you're already too biased to have a reasonable conversation.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited July 2022
    No it is up to the OP to make a better example that doesn't sound or is linked to anything repeatable....his following statement leans on the repeated side.
    LMAO
    No. It's up to you to ask questions instead of twisting stuff people actually said into stuff they didn't actually say.
    You are taking words and response too literal on a forum. If they were going into depth in a post and talking about certain mechanics etc then that would be fine to take it point to point. But it is just a quick naa post people are fine to exaggerate a bit for impact.
    LMFAO
    Coming from the person who is saying that "Mage Tower" has to literally be like a "Mage Tower" in other games.

In Ashes, a Tank is not exactly like a tank in other games. In Ashes, a Tank is a Primary Archetype.
    In Ashes, a class is not excatly like a class in other games. In Ashes, a class is the combo of Primary and Secondary Archetypes.
    In Ashes, a battlegrounds is not exactly like a battlegrounds in other games. In Ashes, a battlegrounds is any skirmish where everyone is auto-flagged as a Combatant and death penalties do not apply: Caravans and Sieges.

So... in Ashes, we should not expect a Mage Tower to function exactly like a Mage Tower in other games.

And, no, when someone says that they want the rewards to be a cosmetic, we should take that to literally be a cosmetic, rather than twisting what they actually said and assuming the really mean "a good piece of gear".
    Talk about the specific mechanics the person actually mentioned, instead of making mechanics up in your head.

What you should be doing, as I advised you previously, is taking some time to check to see where you do agree with what people have written - instead of myopically obsessing over where you think you disagree.
    Especially you - you need to check to be sure you properly understood what people wrote before arguing points the person never made as if the person actually made the points you think they did.

LMFAO
    When a conversation is about something but you chose to ignore it and say he uses mage tower but he didn't say all the detail so then it can be anything. GTFO of here.

LMFAO
    Coming from mage tower being used as an example and saying if it would work in the game and me commenting on it. Only you would try to compare peoples no response expressions to a more serious question.

LMFAO
    Stop assuming what your own sense of mage tower would be this isn't your post, nothing was said of making a different version of mage tower with details. Watching you try to hijack a post and change the idea of it so whatever you think so you can argue some new discussion is cringe.

Also only you would compare repeatable solo instanced content to solo content and say people have the same response to it actual lie to misread people. People are fine with plenty of content they can do solo, there is a huge difference when the world is i have these 5 solo things to run in a instance and killing off the world since that is all some people will have time for.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    1: Several people stated no to solo content and no to instanced content. So, I dropped the reminder that Ashes does have those. Doesn't matter how serious those people were.

2: I then stated that some of what the OP asked for could fit the Ashes game design. And that there's no reason it has to be exactly like the WoW design of a Mage Tower.

3: Then Liniker replied what I said could be misleading. What I said is not misleading.

4: Then you chose to argue that I defended the OPs suggestion of being exactly like WoW.
    EVen thought the OP never stated that his suggestion needed to be exctly like WoW.

5: I haven't assumed anything. I mentioned ways in which some of the stuff the OP asked for can fit with the Ashes game design. The OP can weigh in to see how well what I stated conforms with and satisfies what they asked for.

6: You are doing your typical hijack of - "I'm going to assume people are talking about stuff they didn't actually say and argue as if they said it."

7: The OP has yet to actually say anything about repeatablity. Other people have assumed repeatable farming.
    We can let the OP weigh in on that.

8: The OP asked about solo instanced content.
    I mentioned that Ashes has that. And Social Orgs have questlines that reward special cosmetics, so... it's possible that some of that will available as a 30 minute solo instanced quest.
    Could be sometimes in a Mage Tower. Could be sometimes in a Thieves Guild Underground Labyrinth.
    I'm content to leave it up to the devs to decide precisely how infrequent a solo instanced 30 minute quest would be accessible. We know it's not going to be "repeatable farming". And we know it's not going to be a "daily".

The rest is just you wanting to make stuff up so that you can argue. As usual, it really has nothing to do with what I actually said.

And...we're done.
  • Options
    1: Several people stated no to solo content and no to instanced content. So, I dropped the reminder that Ashes does have those. Doesn't matter how serious those people were.

2: I then stated that some of what the OP asked for could fit the Ashes game design. And that there's no reason it has to be exactly like the WoW design of a Mage Tower.

3: Then Liniker replied what I said could be misleading. What I said is not misleading.

4: Then you chose to argue that I defended the OPs suggestion of being exactly like WoW.
    EVen thought the OP never stated that his suggestion needed to be exctly like WoW.

5: I haven't assumed anything. I mentioned ways in which some of the stuff the OP asked for can fit with the Ashes game design. The OP can weigh in to see how well what I stated conforms with and satisfies what they asked for.

6: You are doing your typical hijack of - "I'm going to assume people are talking about stuff they didn't actually say and argue as if they said it."

7: The OP has yet to actually say anything about repeatablity. Other people have assumed repeatable farming.
    We can let the OP weigh in on that.

8: The OP asked about solo instanced content.
    I mentioned that Ashes has that. And Social Orgs have questlines that reward special cosmetics, so... it's possible that some of that will available as a 30 minute solo instanced quest.
    Could be sometimes in a Mage Tower. Could be sometimes in a Thieves Guild Underground Labyrinth.
    I'm content to leave it up to the devs to decide precisely how infrequent a solo instanced 30 minute quest would be accessible. We know it's not going to be "repeatable farming". And we know it's not going to be a "daily".

The rest is just you wanting to make stuff up so that you can argue. As usual, it really has nothing to do with what I actually said.

And...we're done.

You are 100% misleading.
  • Options
    HalaeHalae Member
    You are 100% misleading.
    And you, man, are rude. Dygz actually has a pretty broad set of points, but you're not engaging with them at all, instead just going "this subjective thing means I don't have to deal with you as an equal".
  • Options
    Halae wrote: »
    You are 100% misleading.
    And you, man, are rude. Dygz actually has a pretty broad set of points, but you're not engaging with them at all, instead just going "this subjective thing means I don't have to deal with you as an equal".

Giving him the same rude LMFAO energy. And no he is just recycling his points that we have already talked about with him projecting his own thoughts on the post and trying to change the concept of it. You can use the same exact thing he said to spin any topic.

• Options
    SMDH
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    KDecisionz wrote: »
    I'd like to hear peoples yes or no answers to if a mage tower would be a cool addition to the base game. The reasoning is to have more single player content that is challenging allows for something to strive for that wont require other players so if you have a small amount of time on your hands you can spend it mastering your class and unlocking a cool cosmetic that only players with your class can use.

There will be times where you have work in 30mins and want to progress your character in something meaningful to you.
    You also may be watching kids or have kids of your own and need something to do that wont take up to much attention span. Maybe you can kind of pause half way threw and not waist peoples time.
    Solo and team content can coexist they aren't mutually exclusive its up to the devs to see what kind of split they want for that but lets wander what can be <3
    Might not be solo instanced content, but...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUJugtqTBxw&amp;t=1380s
    mark 23:22

"We're going to have a focus on big things, but we do want a scale of content for people wto participate in.
    Sometimes people log in and they only have 30 minutes to play and we want places where people can do that and kind of experience, "Hey, that was a fun little session. Now, I gotta log off."
    So there will be larger commitments and smaller commitments throughout the whole world."

---Jeffrey
  • Options
    SirChancelotSirChancelot Member
    edited August 2022
    I'd like to hear peoples yes or no answers to if a mage tower would be a cool addition to the base game. The reasoning is to have more single player content that is challenging allows for something to strive for that wont require other players so if you have a small amount of time on your hands you can spend it mastering your class and unlocking a cool cosmetic that only players with your class can use.

If you don't know what the Mage Tower is refer to anything on YouTube video about mage tower by Blizzard and its one of the best content they've released in recent times that has lived up to the hype even years later.
    Leave comments after yes or no i just wanted to clarify this part.

Meh
    I think mage tower was over hyped, it was good for a single run but there was no reason to ever go back after you did it and got the xmog.

I'd rather see something like
    A.) A challenge colleseum/ tower with layers. Where either a solo, team of 4, or team of 8 fight waves of monsters with increasing difficulty.
    1 goblin
    3 goblins
    5 goblins
    5 goblins where 2 are archers
    Etc.

Or
    B.) some sort of instanced dungeon that worked like a rogue like with dungeon specific bonuses you can get. Again either solo, teams of 4, or 8.

But none of these things can give you actual drops of gear or material. Only titles, maybe cosmetics, and most importantly bragging rights for how high of a level you can climb.
  • Options

If you don't know what the Mage Tower is refer to anything on YouTube video about mage tower by Blizzard and its one of the best content they've released in recent times that has lived up to the hype even years later.
    Leave comments after yes or no i just wanted to clarify this part.

Meh
    I think mage tower was over hyped, it was good for a single run but there was no reason to ever go back after you did it and got the xmog.

I'd rather see something like
    A.) A challenge colleseum/ tower with layers. Where either a solo, team of 4, or team of 8 fight waves of monsters with increasing difficulty.
    1 goblin
    3 goblins
    5 goblins
    5 goblins where 2 are archers
    Etc.

Or
    B.) some sort of instanced dungeon that worked like a rogue like with dungeon specific bonuses you can get. Again either solo, teams of 4, or 8.

But none of these things can give you actual drops of gear or material. Only titles, maybe cosmetics, and most importantly bragging rights for how high of a level you can climb.

100% can get with some rogue like dungeons, great repeatable content, pretty much what i was suggesting as well. Have it not be instanced and pvp can happen but not while you are doing a challenge and happens in-between. If anyone dies you have to start back at floor one again.
  • Options
    ogreogre Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Honestly any type of content added to the game is a good thing. Personally I’m a huge fan of little challenges and distractions like the infamous mage tower, the 100 level dungeon or whatever from ffxiv was cool too. I don’t think such content would hurt the game so long as the theoretical rewards were limited to fluff such as titles or some item skins. The reservations many people have about instanced content in AoC are totally understandable given the current “massively single player” state of many other games in the genre.