Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Would a Mage Tower type instance appeal to the everyday player.

Comments

• Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »
    I mean... Ashes will have solo, instanced content.
    So, I dunno why some form of this couldn't be part of that.
    Doesn't necessarily have to be exactly like WoW's version.

You saying that can easily mislead people... that instanced and solo content are only for your main questline, all the best and repeatable content (endgame) that drops good shit is group open world (PVP competitive) content

pretty sure when people say they want "instanced dungeons" they ain't talking about the Deadmines in WoW, something you only do a few times during leveling - they are talking about repeatable endgame stuff - which is not something you should expect from AoC

Some people on these forums be out here stretching information to mislead people all the time lol. Unless you see it working in the game nothing is true.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    It's not misleading.
    I didn't say anything about "best drops" or "endgame" content... especially since Ashes doesn't have an endgame.

I'm not making any assumptions about what people want from "instanced dungeons".
    What the OP states is...
    "The reasoning is to have more single player content that is challenging allows for something to strive for that wont require other players so if you have a small amount of time on your hands you can spend it mastering your class and unlocking a cool cosmetic that only players with your class can use."

That doesn't say anything about "best and repeatable content". That says "unlocking a cool cosmetic".
    It also mentions wanting to be able to do something challenging when you only have a small amount of time.
    Dunno why anyone would be adverse to that.
    No mention of how often the OP wants access to the Mage Tower, but... that's why I said it doesn't have to be exactly like the WoW version.
    Sure... if you make up a bunch of crap the OP didn't state and delude yourself into believing that's what the OP asked for, you might mislead yourself.

Maybe I missed the dev quote that states solo instanced content will only ever be available in "your main questline".
    I don't even know what you mean by "main questline". What is that? Main Narrative Quests?
    Do you have a dev quote you can share with us, please?
  • Options
    Only Dygz will defend comments talking about instanced solo play with pve, and not start bringing up quotes to counter it all the sudden.
    100% agreed but there will be times where you have work in 30mins and want to progress your character in something meaningful to you.
    You also may be watching kids or have kids of your own and need something to do that wont take up to much attention span. Maybe you can kind of pause half way threw and not waist peoples time.
    Solo and team content can coexist they aren't mutually exclusive its up to the devs to see what kind of split they want for that but lets wander what can be <3
  • Options
    HalaeHalae Member
    Why not split the difference and have instanced things that are designed for group content, but have a solo mode if that's what you want to go for? Largely, that sort of thing only requires three things;
    1. Reducing the difficulty of mobs to the expectation that you're alone rather than part of a group
    2. Have healing readily available if the player in question doesn't normally have the ability to heal themself.
    3. Mechanics that'd normally require more than one person (such as pressure plate puzzles) either have a way to bypass them as a solo operator or be removed from the solo version of the instance.

Regardless of the idea of solo versions of instances (which, as I recall, only make up roughly 20% of the planned dungeons anyways, so this wouldn't be a huge increase) I do think solo content needs to exist in the game. MMOs run on social stuff, yes, but having available stuff for players that don't require you to spend a ton of time gathering a party and that can show off your personal mastery are legitimately very good things. They shouldn't be the focus, but having them available at all is important for when players are socially burned out or seeking a challenge that doesn't depend on coordination with others.
  • Options
    Halae wrote: »
    Why not split the difference and have instanced things that are designed for group content, but have a solo mode if that's what you want to go for? Largely, that sort of thing only requires three things;
    1. Reducing the difficulty of mobs to the expectation that you're alone rather than part of a group
    2. Have healing readily available if the player in question doesn't normally have the ability to heal themself.
    3. Mechanics that'd normally require more than one person (such as pressure plate puzzles) either have a way to bypass them as a solo operator or be removed from the solo version of the instance.

Regardless of the idea of solo versions of instances (which, as I recall, only make up roughly 20% of the planned dungeons anyways, so this wouldn't be a huge increase) I do think solo content needs to exist in the game. MMOs run on social stuff, yes, but having available stuff for players that don't require you to spend a ton of time gathering a party and that can show off your personal mastery are legitimately very good things. They shouldn't be the focus, but having them available at all is important for when players are socially burned out or seeking a challenge that doesn't depend on coordination with others.

That is not 20% of content when you are talking about hand holding and reducing difficulty so someone can spam repeatable tower content. This is literarily the opposite on what AoC is trying to do right down to the game being balanced for groups and not solo play.

I'd rather have a open world tower that is difficult and has a lot of layers to it people can explore and see from the distance trying to get to the top of it, not this single player instanced dungeon none sense they can grind in there all day or for hours at a time.
  • Options
    HalaeHalae Member
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    That is not 20% of content when you are talking about hand holding and reducing difficulty so someone can spam repeatable tower content. This is literarily the opposite on what AoC is trying to do right down to the game being balanced for groups and not solo play.

I'd rather have a open world tower that is difficult and has a lot of layers to it people can explore and see from the distance trying to get to the top of it, not this single player instanced dungeon none sense they can grind in there all day or for hours at a time.
    ... you recognize that you can have challenging content that's specific to solo players, right? And that it's relatively easy to tune down the resources, experience, and whatnot you get from them? Hell, to my understanding the instanced dungeons are supposed to be story content, instanced so that you don't get ganked while dealing with important story beats. Being able to handle those at your own pace is entirely sensible.

• Options
    LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited July 2022
    Liniker wrote: »

You saying that can easily mislead people... that instanced and solo content are only for your main questline, all the best and repeatable content (endgame) that drops good shit is group open world (PVP competitive) content

pretty sure when people say they want "instanced dungeons" they ain't talking about the Deadmines in WoW, something you only do a few times during leveling - they are talking about repeatable endgame stuff - which is not something you should expect from AoC

This right here should end this thread. Intrepid has been pretty clear that this is not an MMO with your traditional "instanced" content. They've said they'll have some instanced content for lore and storytelling reasons, probably simply because they don't want people getting ganked while trying to learn major plot points.

But they've been clear that instanced content will only be about 20% of the game (the remaining 80% will be open world content) and it won't constitute any sort of endgame content, nor will it be any place you can farm repeatedly. All of these points are in the wiki link above with references (thanks AoC Wiki team!).

Even the idea of a repeatable tower for any sort of reward goes against one of the game's main pillars which is Risk vs Reward. There's no risk in instanced PvE content and for that reason alone you won't see it in Ashes. Anything worth having in this game will have some sort of risk associated with earning it.
  • Options
    The devs have been clear about the parameters for solo instanced content.
    Nothing in that clarity precludes the solo instanced content the devs have mentioned from being in the form of a "Mage Tower".
    Since the risk in solo instanced content is relatively low - "unlocking a cool cosmetic" is a reasonable reward.
  • Options
    Nothing in that clarity precludes the solo instanced content the devs have mentioned from being in the form of a "Mage Tower".
    Since the risk in solo instanced content is relatively low - "unlocking a cool cosmetic" is a reasonable reward.

6sc2acn2j897.png
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    LMAO
    Why are you highlighting "farmed repeatedly"?
    And what does that have to do with the physical appearance of an instanced dungeon?
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited July 2022
    LMAO
    Why are you highlighting "farmed repeatedly"?
    And what does that have to do with the physical appearance of an instanced dungeon?

LMFAO
    Because this is the conversation you are defending for the guy.
  • Options
    What is that even supposed to mean?
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I think this is a classic case of misunderstanding between Dygz and anyone else Mag. I think Dygz is talking about purely visuals of an instanced dungeon, while Mag is talking about the functionality of the dungeon, which I assume is a repeatedly farmable dungeon where you get some semi-good rewards (haven't played WoW so dunno what exactly Mage Tower means).
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    I think this is a classic case of misunderstanding between Dygz and anyone else Mag. I think Dygz is talking about purely visuals of an instanced dungeon, while Mag is talking about the functionality of the dungeon, which I assume is a repeatedly farmable dungeon where you get some semi-good rewards (haven't played WoW so dunno what exactly Mage Tower means).

Everyone was talking about how dungeons work and he jumped in in the middle of it so excuse me? Please how the core of this thread with replies based on the OP is talking about visuals.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited July 2022
    What is that even supposed to mean?

Everyone is replying to statements and you are jumping in when he has already mentioned repeatable content. If you are going to start arguing for him on points against it, in turn you are defending repeatable content.

No form of repeatable casual instanced dungeons, or time wasted on trying to make balance wasted on some single player instanced dungeon over creating balanced group content. 80/20 split isn't' true when things are repeatable with casual content.

KDecisionz wrote: »
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I like Mage Towers, but I’d want to do it as a group.

The solo, hyper-casual content put out by Blizzard is kind of the inverse direction that Ashes is going.

i agree with what blizzard is doing but im using there mage tower as an example. Why cant there be a solo and a Group version of a Mage tower? It would just take more time from a group perspective because that requires the devs to know all 64 classes and tailor a raid to having 8 of those 64 in it which is probably impossible. or maybe they can have say a 8 archetypes can do this one and only those classes so the instance will be tailored to them and test there skill but again its harder to do because you must do that X how ever many combinations of 64 archetypes you can have
    Id rather have more group content than single player content.

100% agreed but there will be times where you have work in 30mins and want to progress your character in something meaningful to you.
    You also may be watching kids or have kids of your own and need something to do that wont take up to much attention span. Maybe you can kind of pause half way threw and not waist peoples time.
    Solo and team content can coexist they aren't mutually exclusive its up to the devs to see what kind of split they want for that but lets wander what can be <3
    ykk wrote: »
    Depends on how the the difficulty is accomplished, really.

Solo Deep Dungeon in FFXIV is "difficult single player content" with the reward being unique and rare titles, with "The Necromancer" (Clearing floors 1-200 of Palace of the Dead solo) having barely 1k players having accomplished it, and "Lone Hero" (Heaven-on-High 1-100 solo) has slightly more completes than that.

The difficulty comes from the fact that it is less class mastery and more weird and unique janky mechanic mastery and patience, which is not really the same thing. Making solo content hard that doesn't swerve in that direction and is not simply a gear check is honestly really difficult in a game focused around group content. I appreciate that it exists in FFXIV, and how difficult and 'prestigious' it is, but I don't know if I'd say it has broad spectrum appeal to actually do.

Ill look up what this Solo Deep Dungeon is but from wow its 1 dungeon that is specifically tailored to your class and spec and you are set at a specific item level so you cant out gear it you can do it under geared if you'd like more of challenge though. So the gear part is not an issue and i don't think the content should be so hard that 1% of players can complete it there's room for content like that to me but everything should be achievable with some dedication and practice. It should be hard but not Lube me up Hard you know? XD
    I'm not that casual but i do enjoy ALOT of casual content outside of try Harding but most games just don't have that really. I think casual is a broader term than some people give it credit. Its not only brain dead content, like gathering you gather because you want mats but that's not casual content its braindead you watch Netflix on the next screen while this happens, casual content can be like dragon riding in the new wow expansion or guild wars 2 where they stole it from and its something you just play with have a good time not staring at a second monitor for minutes at a time.

• Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Dygz gave information on, "some info on solo instances has already been said" and the opinion, it may not be exactly what you are asking for. And the potential reward.

Mag7spy. "You know what, this can be an argument"
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited July 2022

Dygz gave information on, "some info on solo instances has already been said" and the opinion, it may not be exactly what you are asking for. And the potential reward.

Mag7spy. "You know what, this can be an argument"

Realize you defending his bad take after he says this after the persons statements. Though where was the same mind set back in the basic attack thread ;)
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    Im not so much defending dygz. Just pointing out that in this instance, you are the cause of the miscommunication between the two of you. Dygz didnt address anyone. Didnt quote any posts. Just threw out his info and opinion, and you are looking at it like he is taking a side of the existing statements.

You are both easily misunderstand-able. So every time you come together, threads become pointless arguments.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    The conversation I'm having is:

Several people responded with something similar to "No to solo content. No to instanced content."
    I'm reminding people that the Ashes design includes some solo instanced content.
    We know from dev commentary that instanced dungeons are planned to be 20% of dungeons.
    Some of that will be solo.
    When asked for a source, I researched and shared the source.

The OP states:
    "If you have a small amount of time on your hands you can spend it mastering your class and unlocking a cool cosmetic that only players with your class can use."
    "There will be times where you have work in 30mins and want to progress your character in something meaningful to you."

That does not sound like repeatable farming to me. Repeatable farming, to me, is typically something you do when you have hours and are trying to acquire gear with excellent stats.
    "Unlocking a cool cosmetic" does not sound the same as "farming the best drops".

Sure... remind the original poster of the specific parameters a solo instance would have to meet based on the Ashes game design - if you think what's being asked for doesn't meet those parameters.
    An Ashes "Mage Tower" is not going to look exactly like a WoW "Mage Tower".

But, also keep in mind:
    "Social organizations are going to have questlines that players participate in which some will include sabotage, espionage, intrigue... While it's not necessarily player versus player in the combat sense, it is player versus player in pitting communities in those organizations kind of against each other in a competitive atmosphere, where only some things can be accomplished by certain communities; and not everybody can succeed at a particular task. So, I think that that's a unique way to involve meaningful conflict that doesn't necessarily have to relate to PvP, because obviously we have a lot of PvP systems in the game and and there are many ways for players to participate in player versus player combat; but we also want to make sure that from a progression standpoint, from a system standpoint there are going to be abilities of individuals to follow these questlines, these tasks that will pit organizations against each other, specifically from an organizational standpoint."
    ---Steven

The use of the word "inidividuals" leads me to think some of that could be solo quests.
    And some of that could include a solo instance.

https://youtu.be/Xg2l6DJgHV0?t=1525
    "If you are part of a town that has been developed and the Scholar's Academy has the most amount of work from the players, that becomes a patron organization of the city so will grant certain benefits and services to players that they can participate in, that relate to their position within the Scholar's academy. Augments are a huge thing that these different societies will offer. They're not going to be a lot of augments within the society's progression: It will probably be around 3 or 4 that exist per organization. So, you'll have to really investigate and study which organization is most beneficial for the path you've chosen with your archetype or whatever role you wish to have in the world.
    But, there's also going to be... you know... you'll get special lures, you'll have special cosmetics you can get from a certain society (maybe you'll want to change the appearance), you can get specific furniture for your home that you're going to build, you can get certain mount certificates for breeding...
    The whole idea behind these societies is that they are a mechanism for progression that do not have to rely on your level progression. These are different progression paths that plyers can participate in.
    We want to offer players diverse methods of progression and these systems house those benefits."

---Steven
    mark 25:25

I would expect that some of the quests related to a Scholar's Academy might take place in a Mage Tower.
    And some of those could be a 30 minute solo quest that help unlock a cool cosmetic.
    Doesn't have to be repeatable farming. The 30 minute solo quests associated with a Mage Tower don't have to be available daily 24/7.
    Only available once per week meets the criteria that's been stated by the OP, so far:
    "If you have a small amount of time on your hands you can spend it mastering your class and unlocking a cool cosmetic that only players with your class can use."
    "There will be times where you have work in 30mins and want to progress your character in something meaningful to you."

I'm just reminding people that solo instanced content is already in the game design.
    I'm not aware of a restriction to only "your main questline".
    For all we know, Social Org progression could include some solo instanced content.
    It's not going to be "repeatable farming".

I'm not defending "best drops". It's not something the OP asked for.
    I'm not defending "repeatable content". I didn't see the OP ask for that.
    I'm not defending "repeatable farming". I didn't see the OP ask for that.

What I have said is that some of what the OP asked for may already be in the Ashes game design in some fashion.
    Instead of the knee-jerk reaction of "Hell No to any solo content!!!"... you should keep in mind that Ashes has solo content in the game design. And, yeah, if you wish to remind the OP of what the parameters would have to be... that's great.
    But, you know, no need to straw man argue crap that people didn't actually say.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited July 2022
    No one here is saying there is no solo content.... They mean in the idea of focused solo instanced dungeons people can just que up for and do repeatedly which will break the 20/80 split. Meaningful gains to you doesn't sound just like cosmetics, and even then what types of cosmetics are we talking about about. It doesn't sound akin to what Steven is mentioning remotely.
    But, there's also going to be... you know... you'll get special lures, you'll have special cosmetics you can get from a certain society (maybe you'll want to change the appearance), you can get specific furniture for your home that you're going to build, you can get certain mount certificates for breeding...

Clarifying is good because based on the OP response that 30 minutes before work thing sounds much more repeatable. I'm fine and sure there will be repeatable quest but everyone doing repeatable instanced dungeons solo is another story...
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I think the main issue here is the comparison to Mage Tower, and from what I've quickly googled, it seems like Mage Tower was a grindable instance. So when the OP is asking for 'mage tower type instance", to most people that sounds like a "repeatable grindable instance". Which goes directly against AoC's design.

Will Ashes have some solo instances? Yes. Would they be anywhere near a "mage tower instance"? From what I understand of that thing - no.

And to me when someone says "I only have 30 mins to play, but want meaningful drops from a solo instance" - that's not a small cosmetic, that's a good piece of gear for barely any work. And I'm assuming that's Mag's take on that line too. Obviously Dygz' take is different. And this brings even more disagreement on the issue.
  • Options
    @Mag7spy
    Um. Are you claiming George_Black is a nobody?
    No to solo stuff.
    No to instanced stuff.

Especially if this activity has a benefit. Why split groups of players into doing their solo crap.
    I was so angry with esos solo arenas.
    "Where is everybody? Oh yeah, playing solo instances."
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited July 2022
    Gear or a reaslly bad ass weapon or armour skil would be meanful to me
    @Mag7spy
    Um. Are you claiming George_Black is a nobody?
    No to solo stuff.
    No to instanced stuff.

Especially if this activity has a benefit. Why split groups of players into doing their solo crap.
    I was so angry with esos solo arenas.
    "Where is everybody? Oh yeah, playing solo instances."

He isn't being literal.... I will say the same thing when you give a strong response to the sound of something instanced and repeatable.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Bloodprophet is a nobody?
    I thought this was an MMO?

Why remove players from an open world and put them in a solo instance?
    I don't think they should divide the community up like other games have done.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    He isn't being literal.... I will say the same thing when you give a strong response to the sound of something instanced and repeatable.
    Sure. And when you do, I will remind everyone that Ashes has instanced content in the game design.
    Just because something sounds repeatable to you doesn't mean that it is.
    Better to ask for clarification, rather than assume.
  • Options
    Bloodprophet is a nobody?
    I thought this was an MMO?

Why remove players from an open world and put them in a solo instance?
    I don't think they should divide the community up like other games have done.

It is pretty clear what people are getting at here and people are aware there is some instanced content. They are talking about akin to other games and mainly at the op mage tower idea / concept. People can alk in exaggerations it shouldn't be taken as literal.

Ie I thought this was a mmo.

I'm sure he is fully aware there is instanced content but here is a discussion of more instanced content that is repeated.

I thought this was a mmorpg (why is there talks of even more instanced content that will make it feel like a single player game at times.)
  • Options
    No one here is saying there is no solo content.... They mean in the idea of focused solo instanced dungeons people can just que up for and do repeatedly which will break the 20/80 split. Meaningful gains to you doesn't sound just like cosmetics, and even then what types of cosmetics are we talking about about. It doesn't sound akin to what Steven is mentioning remotely.

Clarifying is good because based on the OP response that 30 minutes before work thing sounds much more repeatable. I'm fine and sure there will be repeatable quest but everyone doing repeatable instanced dungeons solo is another story...
    The thing is: Several people actually stated no to solo or instanced content. You just wish to assume they didn't mean what they said.

The OP literally stated: "Unlock a cool cosmetic". But, you wish to assume they didn't mean what they said.

What I didn't see is the OP state "repeatedly".
    That is something you infer from the concept of "Mage Tower".
    Instead of assuming how often the OP expects to repeat content... ask... or... sure point out that in Ashes there won't b repeatable content. But... you shouldn't put words in people's mouths and then act like they actually said something they didn't really say.
  • Options
    Sure. And when you do, I will remind everyone that Ashes has instanced content in the game design.
    Just because something sounds repeatable to you doesn't mean that it is.
    Better to ask for clarification, rather than assume.

When i hear 30 minutes before work, that doesn't sound like something that is based around one time...Even then what is a "cosmetic" that you would want and value. For me it be a mount, weapon or armour. Its not out oft he world to do it fairly and offer some but I feel that would be taking away from the cash shop potential sales at the start of release.
  • Options
    Right. So ask what the person meant, rather than assuming what they meant and stawman arguing.
    And, yeah, I expect cosmetics might include mount, weapon and armor SKINS.
  • Options

The thing is: Several people actually stated no to solo or instanced content. You just wish to assume they didn't mean what they said.

The OP literally stated: "Unlock a cool cosmetic". But, you wish to assume they didn't mean what they said.

What I didn't see is the OP state "repeatedly".
    That is something you infer from the concept of "Mage Tower".
    Instead of assuming how often the OP expects to repeat content... ask... or... sure point out that in Ashes there won't b repeatable content. But... you shouldn't put words in people's mouths and then act like they actually said something they didn't really say.

No it is up to the OP to make a better example that doesn't sound or is linked to anything repeatable....his following statement leans on the repeated side.

You are taking words and response too literal on a forum. If they were going into depth in a post and talking about certain mechanics etc then that would be fine to take it point to point. But it is just a quick naa post people are fine to exaggerate a bit for impact.