Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

24/7 pvp during guild/node wars

Thanks to Jahlon's clarification of this on discord
2b157n18pbdh.png

I wanna hear forum people's opinions on this design choice. For me this is literally the best news I've heard about Ashes in the past 2 years of me following the game. This literally makes the game L3 for me.

But what is yall's take on this? Do you think this would push people away from joining guilds? Do you think this could lead to very bad experiences for casual players whose Mayor decided to declare a war on a stronger node?

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The two questions I would then want to know is - how long do these wars last - and are they by mutual consent or not.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    The two questions I would then want to know is - how long do these wars last - and are they by mutual consent or not.
    I think it's over when you've done the task during prime-time, so quite likely it's a 1-2 day thing. Unless Intrepid go real hardcore and make the tasks so damn hard that it takes either side weeks to complete it.

For guild wars there's a way to surrender, though I think there's some cost to it too (as well as declaration), so it won't be just a "dec whoever you want at any moment w/o any price on your side".

For nodes though, it seems as if Mayors can just declare them. Or at least I don't think we've heard concrete details on this point.

But this is definitely something that's gotta be tested extensively during alpha2, cause I can definitely see how maaaaaaany people would hate this design.
  • very very very interesting I liked it !! :)
    ass-forum-mainquestt.gif

Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • This is pretty much how i expected it to be, but yes some people will avoid places that war a lot. It was the same in BDO they would just stay guildless but it means they get less perks. There is no reason in a game that has pvp to not have wars and such, then it just be a pve game plus corruption system.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Otr wrote: »
    I do not know how to define casual in the context of AoC.
    I'd say purely in this context, it'd be someone who just wants to do their non-pvx activity (of which there are many). One could argue that the whole premise of the game is that pretty much every activity in the game is pvx, but at that point we have a game with 0 appeal to casuals, cause a mad Mayor could always fuck up that casual's entire livelihood. And the Mayor in question could be on either side of the war too, so it's not like you could easily vote him out.
  • I just hope that there isn't any artificially set time limit. There should only be 3 ways out of the war:

One side wins
    One side surrenders
    Both sides agree to a ceasefire
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You can quit a guild if you don't want to participate in 24/7 PvP during a guild war.
    Might even be able to re-join afterwards, depending on how casual the guild is.
  • OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think it's really good news. Still some unanswered questions about the system, like if mutual consent between warring guilds is required, the cost to declare war, and how easy or consequential it will be for people to drop guild to avoid a war.

But extremely good news either way. The idea that guild/node wars would only be during primetime never sat right with me.

edited August 2022
    I was reading on wiki that it will not be possible to play the game without PvP at all.
    The actual dev quote is that it might be possible, but neither Steven or Jeffrey want to 100% guarantee an individual can do so.

But, yes, during a Guild War, members of those guilds are flagged a Combatant to each other until the war is over. During Node Wars, citizens of those Nodes are flagged a Combatant to each other until the war is over.
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So happy they're going in this direction!
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    Yeah this sounds like a good choice for guild and node wars. And I definitely also think a guild should be able to war-dec another guild in a non-consensual way. The cost of this should be based on several parameters like guild size, guild level, recent activity levels of all members, the levels of all the guild members, the amount of active wars both guilds are already active in, etc. All parameters should be weighted differently probably, and be paid daily to prevent guilds gaming the system by just war-dec'ing each other for some sort of protection.
  • Oh lawd I wonder how costly it will be for materials to declare guild wars. If its as simple as declaring hostilities, my gaming experience is going to be fantastic.
    GJjUGHx.gif
    Do you have a link for it?
    It's been a few weeks since I listened to it and have had time to hunt down the link again.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think it would make certain random/casual non-cohesive guilds form less often.

I don't have a real opinion on whether or not they should or shouldn't form.

If anything I think it would go the other way, guilds would form, and the 'pressures' of 'not containing members that do things that other guilds find worthy of War Dec' might result in some people not being allowed to stay in their guilds.

No opinion on that either, really. Up to Steven what he wants to happen mostly and I'm fine either way.

I don't speak for my group in this post.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• SigtyrSigtyr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In my opinion this is awesome. The more recreational PvP I can participate in the better. This should also help to placate the fears some people have about others going corrupt to gank them. Someone like me who PvPs mostly for fun is going to do this way more often than they flag on greens. Any time spent killing other guilds in a war is time not spent killing greens for resources.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    If on that map there are metropolises, then this smaller node must be quite far from the stronger node, as they are not siblings. Metropolises have a large zone of influence, over 20% of the map.
    PvE players might want to move and live in larger safer nodes.
    Even equal Lvl 3 nodes can still be neighbors (or very close to each other) even if they're vassals of different metropoli, due to how nodes can grow and weird shapes of other nodes around them. The simulation of nodes video showed a few lvl4 nodes directly next to lvl3 nodes, but they were vassals of different higher lvl nodes.

And telling PvE nodes from their preferred lands or from a land where they have a ton of good reputation and their own corner of the market and a good farming system setup could definitely make some people stop playing (that is if the alternative is dying every other hour because you're at war). Now, that might just be the design Steven wants to go with and is ok with consequences of, but we'll have to see how it pans out.
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    This should also help to placate the fears some people have about others going corrupt to gank them. Someone like me who PvPs mostly for fun is going to do this way more often than they flag on greens. Any time spent killing other guilds in a war is time not spent killing greens for resources.
    That's the thing though. If you're a PvE player picking flowers in a node at war, the warring node's citizens can kill you w/o corrupting themselves. This is a much more aggressive system than the corruption one.
    edited August 2022
    Can't really have PvE Nodes.
    It's possible to have unofficial PvE servers that have a relatively low amount of PvP combat.
    Dygz wrote: »
    Do you have a link for it?
    It's been a few weeks since I listened to it and have had time to hunt down the link again.
    Ashes of Creation is a PvX game. Players will naturally encounter both PvP and PvE elements.[95][96][97] It is unlikely that a player could purely focus on just PvP or just PvE.[97]
    https://youtu.be/3UIqmWTGZ2k?t=2005
    Haha!
    Right! The question is about PvP, but Steven kinda answered for both PvP and PvE.
    I'll have to try to remember that in the future when I need to find that link.
    Thanks!
  • If you only focus on pvp you aren't getting gear so its impossible to only focus on pvp that is pretty clear. OR if you have a guild war there are mobs around and there for you have to deal with pve and pvp.
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dygz wrote: »
    Can't really have PvE Nodes.
    It's possible to have unofficial PvE servers that have a relatively low amount of PvP combat.

This is what I foresee happening. I think the hard core PVE players will have to have their own community run server like RP players.

Those who pvp or don't care will just pick whatever server.
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • DizzDizz Member
    Like it.

I don't know will I lose anything when killed by enemy players during guild war or siege, if I won't lose anything I like the idea, but I can take that if I'm farming or gathering for supplying my guild or city to win the war I can and should take the risk that I will lose X-100% what I farmed or gathered in past X minutes/hours.

But consider that some players are not so combative and able to enjoy pvp 24/7, I will say at least give some options for them like to flag themselves or leave war zone to have a small window to take a break or guild leaders and majors can set a break time for those players.
    A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
    Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw
  • Dizz wrote: »
    Like it.

I don't know will I lose anything when killed by enemy players during guild war or siege, if I won't lose anything I like the idea, but I can take that if I'm farming or gathering for supplying my guild or city to win the war I can and should take the risk that I will lose X-100% what I farmed or gathered in past X minutes/hours.

But consider that some players are not so combative and able to enjoy pvp 24/7, I will say at least give some options for them like to flag themselves or leave war zone to have a small window to take a break or guild leaders and majors can set a break time for those players.

9yo6vmfzcovx.png
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    edited August 2022
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Dizz wrote: »
    Like it.

9yo6vmfzcovx.png

I believe this only means objective events during prime-time, the PvP outside of the objectives likely allows for resource looting.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    edited August 2022
    Guild war mechanics include.[9]

A war declaration period.[9]
    Objective based components.[9]
    Victory and surrender conditions.[10]
    Guilds may war multiple guilds/alliances at a time.[10]
    Guild wars operate outside the PvP flagging system.[10]

I wonder if a guild can have several guilds declare war upon them. Or if it locks them into their current war and they simply have the option to declare more wars if they wish.

Also wonder if you can declare alliance wars.

And personally I think guild wars should have a cooldown so guilds can't be just griefed into the dirt. Yall know I am all for the PvP but if you can basically get a group of guilds to run a train on a guild with guild wars to exhaust their resources that could potentially suck....althoughhhh, it could be really gratifying to see a server band together to absolutely decimate a mega guild that way.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Dolyem wrote: »
    Like it.

9yo6vmfzcovx.png

I believe this only means objective events during prime-time, the PvP outside of the objectives likely allows for resource looting.

Guild wars is mentioned its not just prime time stuff, unsure what prime time would mean in AoC. It makes no sense for open guild wars and xp loss and why something like that is included.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Dolyem wrote: »
    I wonder if a guild can have several guilds declare war upon them. Or if it locks them into their current war and they simply have the option to declare more wars if they wish.
    I'm more interested if multiple nodes can all be in a war, either as a ffa or as Xv1.
    And personally I think guild wars should have a cooldown so guilds can't be just griefed into the dirt. Yall know I am all for the PvP but if you can basically get a group of guilds to run a train on a guild with guild wars to exhaust their resources that could potentially suck....althoughhhh, it could be really gratifying to see a server band together to absolutely decimate a mega guild that way.
    Definitely could see a cooldown being good for the system, but I also think the cost of declaring a war against a guild/node that's already in a war should be increased too (on top of all the prerequisite costs the declaration has). Maybe even a multiplier on the basic cost.

Say a guild A of "power score 100" gets decced by a guild B with a 200 score. B guild would pay X amount of resource/money to dec guild A. At it'd be a substantive amount because they're allegedly twice as powerful. Now if guild C (200 score too) wanted a piece of the action, they'd have to pay 2X. This would make ganging up on a small/weak guild really expensive.

And as a mirror to that, Guild A would have to only pay 0.5X to dec either B or C, and if guild D (100 score) wanted to help them, they'd only pay X. This would allow smaller guilds to fight bigger ones together w/o completely bankrupting themselves.

At least that kind of system seems fair to me.
  • Mag7spy wrote: »
    Like it.

9yo6vmfzcovx.png

Guild wars is mentioned its not just prime time stuff, unsure what prime time would mean in AoC. It makes no sense for open guild wars and xp loss and why something like that is included.

"objective-based-events" are only active during prime time established on the server. They are part of the guild war, and the main goal. However, up until that event happens there is 24/7 PvP between the guilds, but they arent an objective. So the penalties may apply there.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Prime-time is when you can end a war, because it'll have the tasks for you to do so.

And fwiw L2's guild wars did still remove your xp on death (even if in a much smaller amount), so Ashes could in theory keep the death penalties same as flagged one or just a bit smaller.
  • Guild war objectives are designed to be more fluid than castle siege objectives.[2]
    Guild wars can be declared at any time, but the objectives will only spawn during server prime-time.[3]
    Players can kill each other at any time during the war (not only during server prime-time).[3]
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    edited August 2022
    NiKr wrote: »
    I'm more interested if multiple nodes can all be in a war, either as a ffa or as Xv1.
    Definitely could see a cooldown being good for the system, but I also think the cost of declaring a war against a guild/node that's already in a war should be increased too (on top of all the prerequisite costs the declaration has). Maybe even a multiplier on the basic cost.

Say a guild A of "power score 100" gets decced by a guild B with a 200 score. B guild would pay X amount of resource/money to dec guild A. At it'd be a substantive amount because they're allegedly twice as powerful. Now if guild C (200 score too) wanted a piece of the action, they'd have to pay 2X. This would make ganging up on a small/weak guild really expensive.

And as a mirror to that, Guild A would have to only pay 0.5X to dec either B or C, and if guild D (100 score) wanted to help them, they'd only pay X. This would allow smaller guilds to fight bigger ones together w/o completely bankrupting themselves.

At least that kind of system seems fair to me.

Oooo, I actually enjoy the concept of making a guilds pay out reflect their power. Keeps the incentive to grief low but also keeps the big guilds in check since several lesser powered guilds can put them in check
    GJjUGHx.gif