Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[WWYD] Ganking a Player...

Comments

• Options
    Judging from that gather's lightning-quick yet machine-precise axe swings, I believe he's a swordmaster in disguise -- he's baiting. He's just like the lone procurer (high HP mining ship) in a low sec asteroid belt in Eve Online -- one that you should always be suspicious of.

I'd just move on, and look for a less suspicious target :p
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Bottom line. If you gather alone, be on high alert. An monster or player could be around and try to gank you and your goods. You might want to bring a friend. Maybe a friend with a very powerful bow. Dont be a sheep. Be a wolf and run in packs. If you're a lone wolf then you better be a bad mf.

Too many ganks of unwilling players might get that corruption to a level where you lose your own gear on death. My squad cant wait to destroy corrupted players and there precious gear. The bounty hunters of the Wolf Squad will be hunting each and every one of you. We will take great pleasure in gutting you boys.

Steven clarified a month or so back. Any corruption gives a chance of dropping gear. A very small chance, but a chance. The more you get, the bigger the chance.
    gkd4qen6b60i.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Okeydoke wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    Ashes is absolutely going to be a gankbox, at least at times.

Define gankbox. It's subjective. That's the problem with the statement. When Ashes launches, it's guaranteed with 100% certainty that there will be someone who thinks it's a gankbox. And there will be someone who thinks it's nowhere close.

So many people pissed because a gatherer almost got killed in a promo video. Didn't even get killed lol, just almost. The Holy Loggerman, the protected class, the most innocent of all mmo players. It's as if Intrepid released a video of a puppy being beaten to death.

But everyone knew all along that was going to be a thing, or should have known. It's literally a feature of the game. Like they're coding it in and stuff, and told us they were a long time ago.

And one day I'm going to be that loggerman. So will Dolyem and other pvp minded players. It's just part of the game.

You are correct, but I shall throw hands with any and all who try to touch my wood! :D

Is that a euphemism?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

Define gankbox. It's subjective. That's the problem with the statement.
    Indeed.

Me saying the game absolutely is going to be a gankbox at times isn't necessarily a negative thing - it's just a fact.

Having been on both sides of it in the past, and not really enjoyed either (closely fought PvP is the only PvP that is worthwhile from an entertainment perspective), I can't really think of anything at all to add other than just the fact that I am surprised anyone believed Steven when he said the game won't be a gankbox.
  • Options

Define gankbox. It's subjective. That's the problem with the statement. When Ashes launches, it's guaranteed with 100% certainty that there will be someone who thinks it's a gankbox. And there will be someone who thinks it's nowhere close.

So many people pissed because a gatherer almost got killed in a promo video. Didn't even get killed lol, just almost. The Holy Loggerman, the protected class, the most innocent of all mmo players. It's as if Intrepid released a video of a puppy being beaten to death.

But everyone knew all along that was going to be a thing, or should have known. It's literally a feature of the game. Like they're coding it in and stuff, and told us they were a long time ago.

And one day I'm going to be that loggerman. So will Dolyem and other pvp minded players. It's just part of the game.

You are correct, but I shall throw hands with any and all who try to touch my wood! :D

Is that a euphemism?

more like a double entendre
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    SweatycupSweatycup Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    I don't know.. i thought vaknars post was quite clever. Don't plan to play without a active guild and as far as i know 90% of guilds want to inhabit some land as a vassal or main node leader. I'll be ganked sure, but who won't? It'd be funny to see pvp raids where people have built gear to lose using numbers. Does the system help curb just killing everyone, sure. But i think if your just doing it to see how many you can gank it is only as a form of notoriety. Do you really believe someone will risk their best gear while taking a day out harvesting? If you're that dumb maybe you deserve to lose it? Or i would assume you want a fight.. If your being ganked over and over in your own lands why would you remain with said guild(s). I totally suspect call to arms and roving groups of guilds making sure the lands are secure. If you can't secure your own lands how would you expect to attract people?
  • Options

Is that a euphemism?

more like a double entendre

6ppy15.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sweatycup wrote: »
    I don't know.. i thought vaknars post was quite clever. Don't plan to play without a active guild and as far as i know 90% of guilds want to inhabit some land as a vassal or main node leader. I'll be ganked sure, but who won't? It'd be funny to see pvp raids where people have built gear to lose using numbers. Does the system help curb just killing everyone, sure. But i think if your just doing it to see how many you can gank it is only as a form of notoriety. Do you really believe someone will risk their best gear while taking a day out harvesting? If you're that dumb maybe you deserve to lose it? Or i would assume you want a fight.. If your being ganked over and over in your own lands why would you remain with said guild(s). I totally suspect call to arms and roving groups of guilds making sure the lands are secure. If you can't secure your own lands how would you expect to attract people?
    What?
    For one thing, the poll only gave two options. One of them was to leave. You don't need to be playing with an active guild to choose to not interact with a solo player you stumble upon.
    Lots of solo players might choose to not engage other players they encounter.
    Also, lots of solo adventurers and solo Artisans might choose to be social with a stranger they run into.

If anything, the lesson of Vaknar's poll is: If you are solo, only socialize with strangers if you are in the mood to get ganked. If you don't leave strangers alone, expect to be ganked.

Perhaps what you mean is that Vaknar's post is intended to imply: If you're going to gank, be prepared to get ganked. ??
    Seems likely that anyone who is about to gank someone is going to be preared to gain Corruption as well as be prepared for a PvP battle. Obviously, if when you choose to gank someone, you're prepared for a fight.
    A person only loses gear when they are Corrupt. You can't lose gear if all you're doing is Gathering as a Non-Combatant.
    If I'm being ganked over and over...I would just not play that game.
    Corruption and the respawn mechanics need to be a sufficient deterrent for repeated ganking in quick succession. I'm not going to rely on other players for that. If I have to rely on other players for that, it means Ashes is a gankfest. And I'm not playing that game.

Guilds don't really own lands. By lands, I assume you mean Nodes.
    Guilds are not really what attracts people to Nodes.
    Guilds securing lands is probably very low on the list of what attracts player characters to become citizens of a Node.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Citizenship_benefits
  • Options
    Torc wrote: »
    Announce myself as a "Gathering Auditor." Inquire as to whether or not the Gatherer has a valid gathering permit. If the Gatherer's response is "yes," explain to the Gatherer that the permit they have is no longer valid and that they will need to purchase a new gathering permit. If the Gatherer's response is "no," explain that the Gatherer needs a permit in order to gather in this area.

In any case, inform the gatherer that I, as a *cough* "Gathering Auditor" just so happen to have a valid gathering permit available for sale...for a reasonable price.

If the Gatherer refuses to purchase a valid gathering permit, threaten violence to induce purchase of a gathering permit. If the Gatherer shows resistance, wish the Gather the best of luck and immediately leave the area in search of another Gatherer to swindle.

I'd gladly pay my new permit and consider it an investment given that most people won't and i'll then just have less competition :D
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited August 2022
    Nosreme wrote: »
    I hope the game doesnt have open world free ganking. The vast majority of players dont want this. If the game launches with open world pvp, a lot of people inc myself will pass.

It pains me to hear people say this. If done right, AoC should show people how hallow PvP is in most games and show PvE players how much more fun it is to have a dynamic, more difficult, more spontaneous challenge in an MMO.

There are some checks built into the game. You better believe if they aren't twinking, that corruption is going to bite them in their ass. And if you got a guild, that's going to be even worse. My guess is that even a little bit of corruption will take 2 deaths to get rid of. That means unless they suicide they're going to show up on the map for bounty hunters to gank them twice as much as what happened to you.

And if they are twinking then your guild would probably have no problem gearing you out as well because you are an asset to them as a gatherer, on top of providing protection.

This systems going to be a whole heck of a lot more fun than just a "gankfest" people keep thinking it will be.
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited August 2022
    Azherae wrote: »
    If people get upset over the aspect of ganking in a promotion for a PvX game, then they are probably in denial of the fact that PvP is just as much of a part of this game as PvE.

Its not, actually. And structured pvp is one thing. Open world griefers ganking ppl for pleasure is entirely different.

Which, I suppose, is why they're making it so clear now. When they use the word 'ganking' outright, in a way that it will be at the top of the discussion forum, it's almost explicitly meant to open a dialogue with you and players of the same perspective, even if indirectly.

Why would you pass on it? Is there any level of discouragement/punishment for the ganker (let's say me and one partner, in this case) that would make you willing to play anyway?

Because I've been there, done that, and when you open that door, you open a pandoras box of griefing thats generally unfun. I'll wait to see how corruption works, but I doubt it'll be a deterant for anyone. Steven has stated publicly that this game will not contain pvping griefing but we'll see when the game launches. There's a reason 90% of wow players are not on pvp servers.

Also, are they making it clear? It seems more uncertain than ever.

Being a person who gathers goods for a guild in WoW(or any MMO i'm aware of) is... well.. lets not sugar coat it, pretty much worthless.

In AoC they will always be highly relevant and a very much needed part of the guilds progression. It would very much behoove them to make sure you are geared properly and protected, especially if someone is out ganking.

This shouldn't be like anything you've experienced before.
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    Well that's fine. Nobody will force you to play a game that you don't enjoy. However there will be plenty of people who do enjoy it.

I'm guessing "plenty" won't nearly be enough, but that's just my assessment.

If this game comes with what it's said so far, has a few of the things the community has fleshed out, and has the netcode to back everything up, it will be the biggest MMO since Vanilla WoW, there's almost no doubt about that.
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    Well done. 4 plus years of Steven telling the community that Ashes won't be a gankbox to be undone by one tweet.

I spot the redditor
  • Options
    I hope the game doesnt have open world free ganking. The vast majority of players dont want this. If the game launches with open world pvp, a lot of people inc myself will pass.

I strongly disagree. There's not a lot of harm in getting ganked as long as you're non-combatant.
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    😈 What a glorious day for ganking!

👀 You are on the prowl, and notice an unsuspecting player chopping trees. #WWYD?

(Click on the link below to submit your answer!)

Twitter:

What would *I* do? I would let him go about his day; but, should he need a rez after a gank, my healing services are for sale. B)
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    AlfaKrqll wrote: »
    But i have three questions that i really want an answer too:
    First can people make an gank alt and just Alt-f4 if hes about to be revenged and wait until night to logg in and wait out his corruption?
    Second: can gankers go and take out people at there homestead or are this in an instanced world (i have tried to look this up, but i did not find an answer).
    Third: are there systems in the game that can unite players to find corrupted players, like a bounty hunter system or a guild protected zone area that can show where people need help.

First:
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to log in and out when you want to. Forcing a player to stay logged in until they run off their corruption would be rather heavy-handed.

Second:
    "Safe zones

Players cannot PvP while inside (the footprint of)[1] a freehold (except following a successful node siege).[2][3]
    Players are not able to be attacked or robbed while occupying their player stall inside the limits of a node.[4]
    "
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Safe_zones

Third:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Bounty_hunters

*edited to add the Safe Zones link

I don't think you stay locked in... I think Corruption Clock only runs when you are actually on (so you can't just log out to dodge it and not face consequences for actions).

I don't understand your use of "corruption clock" here. It doesn't tick down over time. It has to either be reduced through deaths, incurring exp debt, or ground off by gaining exp. You won't just be hiding somewhere waiting for it to go away. And the separate mechanic of your "murder count" can only be reduced by completing the relevant quests.

Just a way of saying you can't cheese it by logging off, waiting, and logging back on.
  • Options
    VirtekVirtek Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would probably stalk up as close as I could, then drop something big and scary next to them!
    Not to gank them, but to have fun startling them and keep them on their toes....

THEN be misunderstood and shot down like that poor soul in black
  • Options
    After playing games that involve systems where being flagged for pvp even as a gatherer increased loot luck by X percentage, you learn most people don't gank farmers. But in the event that they do, it helps that you kept your loot. Now if this game makes it where they can sit on your corpse with your farmed mats to wait for you, it does make it somewhat annoying. But the systems in place will make it harder to gank in certain zones.
    If this was me, I'm likely to walk slowly into their view and do a dance emote with them :P
  • Options

It already us confirmed to have non-consensual OW PvP possibilities.

Good luck with the Riot MMO
  • Options
    Players cannot PvP while inside (the footprint of)[1] a freehold (except following a successful node siege).[2][3]
    Players are not able to be attacked or robbed while occupying their player stall inside the limits of a node.[4][/i]"
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Safe_zones

I was quite surprised reading this, I just assumed a town in itself was a safe zone. Not sure how I feel about that as it may make things a bit too chaotic. I guess we'll see, if it works then keep it.

r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    IronhopeIronhope Member
    edited August 2022
    deleted
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    IsisRED wrote: »
    Now if this game makes it where they can sit on your corpse with your farmed mats to wait for you, it does make it somewhat annoying. But the systems in place will make it harder to gank in certain zones.
    Ashes doesn't have corpses.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Now if this game makes it where they can sit on your corpse with your farmed mats to wait for you, it does make it somewhat annoying. But the systems in place will make it harder to gank in certain zones.

We're all going to be tea-bagging piles of ashes. Won't look quite as effective, but the ashes themselves might provide a pleasing sensation...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    the ashes themselves might provide a pleasing sensation...
    Dat ash?
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    Gathering hot spots can be dangerous, should probably have a plan when you go there. I'd only attack if the rewards were good or to protect the node/guild/teams interests. It'll be fun to see how the devs balance it though. I remember playing Age of Conan, the play base was just bipolar (like most player bases), one hour everyone would be peacefully questing, the next everyone was purging each other. It made for some fun times though. AA was better by far than Conan, and any others can think of atm. I hope Ashes makes it even better.
  • Options
    WWYD: Use the unsuspecting player to catch a bigger fish ;)
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »

We're all going to be tea-bagging piles of ashes. Won't look quite as effective, but the ashes themselves might provide a pleasing sensation...

I am making a meme of this, thank you
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Is there actual stealth play in the game? I'm totally new to Ashes of Creation and stealth play is a big part of what I love. I ran stealth squads (mixture of scouts, assassins, and thieves) in Shadowbane and run a Nightblade guild in ESO. Without being a griefer, I see a good niche for a guild of mercs who assassinate, cause chaos against townships, and either protect or raid caravans then blend back into the shadows.
  • Options
    AsraielAsraiel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    Vaknar wrote: »
    😈 What a glorious day for ganking!
    👀 You are on the prowl, and notice an unsuspecting player chopping trees. #WWYD?

i personaly would leave him alone and doesnt care.
    if i would be the one chopping the tree and i would be attacked out of suprise (i know the corruption system tells me if he kills me, with me not defending againt him means he will be marked as a red player) but in realety the majority of peoples do acct instinctively and protect or fight back with then ofent due to not be prepairde useing the worng skills and sealing your death. and since you attacked back you became pvp marked and the attacked doesnt get punished for killing you. you end up dead with rised up adrenalin in your veins, cursing those gankers and take a break or even ragequit for the time beeing.

jep steven the projekct openener and head of intrepid loves pvp mmo-rpgs however it does matter where you from and where you play in japan those who wants to pvp dont attack pve players only those that sing ingame for pvp. in eu peoples love pve and those who does pvp are mostly overpowerd to their target and gank and are proud to have beaten a pve player. usa shure is also diffrent to eu or japan. in eu i would say in every mmo-rpg only about 1% is up for pvp, for raids maybe 50% but about 30% of those in raids only participate for the loot and are more focused on horde vs horde where the skill and gear of the single player doesnt matter much.

while whriting came the question you can select if aoe hits other players or not but what if you get attacked and you dont want to hit the other player and your aoes are unlocked or what if they are locked and you want do dmg to the attacking player. does you first have to open a menu to switch the option withe standing around and getting attacked without you moveing or what?

• Options
    I would leave the gatherer -> but if he turned to attack then i'd flag or run depeneding on what near.

I do feel like this adds weight to the worries that a lot people seem to have about pvp (gankbox scenario) - especially with the green losing a huge chunk of mats to the attacker that feels like a penalty for not being flagged.

- there could be a time where the gatherer gets 1 shot or hit by a mob and killed before even being able to flag up - the attacker gets corrupted but the player still lost everything(mats)

- or even get attacked by a group and poached - this is also a possibility and a worrying one too *players abuse the loot from greens by killing them before they can flag up regardless of corruption* -> i get that there are situations where this self correcting by having bounty hunters and everything but it is a worry.

The problem is it sounds like it will be safer to run around flagged as a gatherer then green. I am for pvp but i don't like the idea of forced flag because its a lesser penalty should i get super unlucky.