Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Direct Message to AoC Dev: Don't forget about us LEFT HANDED PLAYERS!

novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
Sorry, I am in a pissed off mood right now - just downloaded New World for the first time after hearing positive reviews from the recent PTR and got bored being a newbie in FS Archeage. So I wanted to prep NW before it's fresh start and get a feel for the game - to kill time until AoC Alpha 2 arrives.

Now I am in the process of getting refunded from New World because of a simple BULLSHIT decision that I have experienced in many Games and few MMOs

LACK OF BEING ABLE TO KEYBIND certain things.

Fun Facts Ladies and Gents

Many Lefties uses the ARROW KEYS to move instead of the WASD Keys
Many Lefties uses the mouse in their left hand

Re-learning to play as a right handed user is out the window for me personally, since I've been a PC gamer for 30 years.

I am sure many lefties also uses and enjoy being able to bind these buttons:

Numpads
Ctrl+Numpads
Shift+Numpad
ENTER (For Jumping instead of opening chat)
Insert/Home/Del/End/PgUp/PgDn

New World Failed immediately when I was unable to just Rebind the WASD to my Arrow Keys

I've had few games do that in the past as well. When they do pass the Arrow Keys check, some MMO does prevent us from
keybinding Ctrl/Shift + Numpad Numbers

It sucks when right handed players can 1-9, Alt+1-9, Ctrl+1-9, Shift+1-9

but we can't or at the very least; we Can but not get all 3 Ctrl, Alt, Shift combination.
It's bad enough, Alt+Numpad isnt really viable for lefties (Right hand cant stretch holding ALT + hitting a numpad while still maintaining another finger on arrow keys)

TL'DR - Dear Devs of Ashes of Creation - Please please please make sure you don't hardcode ANY KEYS and be mindful of left handed players who uses other keys.

The world population is 8 billion... there is 800 MILLION lefty users in the world. (10%)

it's incredible painful and CRINGE in 2022 - game dev stills fucks on lefties in their games. Not many of us wants to use a 3rd party software either... when most Terms of Services advocates no 3rd party usage and we risk getting a ban because we had to circumvent a dumb decision.

Jump, Run, Crouch, Lay

Maybe it's just me.. I do not know if other lefties share this sentiment or not - or how they handle this.
30 years pc gamer my Ideal setup, when allowed in PC Games

Enter = Jump
Shift = Run/Sprint
Ctrl = Duck/Crouch
Numpad . = Lay/Prone

But how do you enter into chat mode?

I use either T to open chat box or /
worse case - mouse click chat.

My brain is so hardcoded to spam Enter to jump like a mad man. and many times, I end up STUCK IN PLACE because I opened chat dialog and then die for bad timing in-game.
{UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.

Comments

• As a left-handed person I was ignorant to the fact that they made a left-hander mouse or that others used arrow keys. Interesting. I doubt I could ever switch to such a thing but cool to know.

At the end though I fully support full keybind customization, let players keybind anything they want. There's no real reason not to other than laziness. Keybinds are something that a programmer on my team was able to create in a few days by himself. So I don't see why it could not be done here unless there's some extra hoops to jump through for an MMO's keybinds that I am unaware of.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Alpha-1 had full keybind customization.
  • Going to be honest this seems overly dramatic. You never thought to use a third party program to macro/rebind keys and save to a profile? Almost all keyboard manufacturers build them in by default so I can't say this is NW/any game's fault here.
    t8nw2wdebql7.png
  • Cat QuiverCat Quiver Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It would have taken you less time to purchase a left handed keyboard instead of typing all that out.
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited October 2022
    Cat Quiver wrote: »
    It would have taken you less time to purchase a left handed keyboard instead of typing all that out.

ignorant statement - when you have gotten used to play a certain way with normal keyboard, growing up in school being taught to use a normal keyboard and gaming on it for over 30 years, those drastic changes aren't ideal or a solution. That's a cheap copout and STILL DOESNT EXCUSE game developers to be inconsiderate that left handed gamers exist.
    Donut310 wrote: »
    Going to be honest this seems overly dramatic. You never thought to use a third party program to macro/rebind keys and save to a profile? Almost all keyboard manufacturers build them in by default so I can't say this is NW/any game's fault here.

That doesnt excuse or give cover to game developers not being considerate to left handed gamers. Just because you havent experienced this frustration - doesn't mean it's ok or WE have to find a solution for them.
    (That's like telling a women who has to deal with all the cat calling or worse, she shouldnt have dressed a certain way...thats how that statement feels like... yes it's a hyperbole)

I also don't like to test ToS, when I've seen games be ban happy for many dumb reasons. IE: People buying duped items unknowingly and getting banned, something totally out of their control. For all I know - using a 3rd party can be a breach of TOS, modifying a game file for all I know and get me perma.. not worth the risk there either. Most games dont allow 3rd party usage and IDK where that would qualify and I ain't trying to fuck around and find out.
    edited October 2022
    novercalis wrote: »
    Cat Quiver wrote: »

ignorant statement - when you have gotten used to play a certain way with normal keyboard, growing up in school being taught to use a normal keyboard and gaming on it for over 30 years, those drastic changes aren't ideal or a solution. That's a cheap copout and STILL DOESNT EXCUSE game developers to be inconsiderate that left handed gamers exist.

I'm ignorant when you refuse to use solutions made for this, refuse to reprogram a keyboard with it's own software because... it might break TOS, and you couldn't do n easy and quick search to see that Ashes plans to have fully customizable keys. What else does your personality trait that is left handedness prevent you from doing? We can clearly see making an overly dramatic, attention seeking thread isn't included.
    edited October 2022
    i'm arguing on the merit of this statement:

I'm ignorant when you refuse to use solutions made for this

Consumers shouldnt be using outside resources for solution. it shouldn't have been an issue to begin with by game developers in general. To defend or suggest solutions that is outside the scope of game developers (in general, not specific to AoC) isn't a good way to think either. It's giving them a pass that they shouldn't have.

Any many games have customizable keys but still HARDLOCK certain keys.. thus their statement isnt really false. Nor have they ever answered about left handed gamers concerns afiak. Alpha 1 had issues with remapping as well.
    A keyboard, designed for left handed people is an outside resource. whew lad
    DUDE - that's like me telling you right now, you should learn how to write with your left hand.
    That is a INCONVIENCE.. I shouldn't have to be doing that because a game developer was lazy to allow full customization.

ALSO - left handed keyboard just moves the numpad.
    The Arrow Keys are still in the right side and the main CRUX of the issue is binding to the Arrow Keys.
    I nor any lefty who has become accustomed to using a normal keyboard is going to take the time to learn WASD and be lost with all the other keys around the WASD as we arent used to that at this point, if we've been doing arrow keys.

that isnt a solution
    DUDE, lol no, no its not. Left handed writing gets me nothing. Whereas being a left handed person and learning how to use a left handed keyboard, ah you know what that's just going to make too much sense for you since your left handedness is an issue others need to consider not yourself though obviously because we live in a nanny society.

ALSO you're wrong, thanks to this really handy website: https://www.google.com/
    Which led me to this artifact of mythical legend! https://www.amazon.com/DSI-Handed-Mechanical-Keyboard-KB-DS-8861XPU-B-V2/dp/B0009S52X8/ref=asc_df_B0009S52X8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309707619534&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17351522414802935852&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012482&hvtargid=pla-490472543502&psc=1

AND you're not the leader of the left handed people of the world so you look like a fool speaking on their behalf especially when you don't even know what tools are available.
    edited October 2022
    YOU DO REALIZE THAT DOESNT SOLVE THE ISSUE.
    I STILL NEED TO BIND THE ARROW KEYS.
    So i doesnt matter where that is located....

jesus fucking christ, ARE YOU DENSE?

*Looks at OP* - yup, I said MOST, not ALL.
    There are lefties who uses WASD or learned to used WASD from the start of their PC life. As well as TFGH and IJKL.
    But many others like myself started with Arrow Keys.
    That fucking LINK SOLVES NOTHING if we arent able to KEYBIND TO ARROW KEYS
    edited October 2022
    OH and because of DEV LAZINESS - and Incompetence, it falls on me to PAY $100+ ON A FUCKING KEYBOARD to rectify a stupid decision made by game developers.. FUCKING CLASSIC!!!!
    edited October 2022
    Your issue was solved when it was pointed out multiple times that Intrepid plans to have the key binds be fully customizable. BUT OH NO MY ALPHA 1 KEYBINDS.

L-M-F-A-O you think it's a decision when left handed people aren't taken into account? It's not because it's never even thought of to begin with. Get the fuck over yourself.
    edited October 2022
    Ahhh the back pedaling. One person pointed it out - if you bothered to Search the forum - this issue hasnt been answered at all. And many issues were arose during alpha one about certain keybinds being locked.

Nice to know and spot our first toxic community asshole in this game.

I'm sure you also tell all the females who has been physically violated - they shouldnt have worn a dress and blame them for not wearing pants or not having a mace to defend themselves.. cause the entire time, your hot take is defending a poor lapse of judgement by game developers... YES THERE are many games that have made that huge oversight issue, some fixed it and others did not. IE: New World.

Hence my displeasure and hence this post. holy shit, talking to you felt like talking to a trump supporting proud boy.
    edited October 2022
    Boy howdy sweety, this is so much to unpack let's see here. Backpedaling, to what back to exactly, what you're asking for but you won't be satisfied until Steven comes in and personally wipes your ass and tells you it's all going to be okay?

Calling me the first toxic asshole of the community. Thank you for that slice of irony, it was delicious.

Back to women and being violated/harassed. Is this some sort of fetish you have, this is the second time you've made this comparison.

Oh fuck oh no is the man orange bad in the room with us right now? Oh no I CANT TURN OFF CNNN AHHHHHHH TRUMP WHY'D YOU CLOSE THE BORDER YOU RACIST I MEAN WHY DID YOU NOT CLOSE IT FAST YOU MORON

Consider seeking medical help, specifically the kind available in only 10/50 states.
  • Yall need to chill. We can't have people losing their minds here. Do you want people thinking we are just like ff14 diehards?
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Yall need to chill. We can't have people losing their minds here. Do you want people thinking we are just like ff14 diehards?

you're absolutely right - tempted to make a petty remark but I found a ignore feature and used it.

• Jesus.... talk about being terrible at getting people to support your cause. I wouldn't have thought twice about a reasonable suggestion to incorporate left-handed flexibility. Now I think I hate all left-handed people... :D
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited October 2022
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    Jesus.... talk about being terrible at getting people to support your cause. I wouldn't have thought twice about a reasonable suggestion to incorporate left-handed flexibility. Now I think I hate all left-handed people... :D

not very pog of you sir.
    peepo-leave.gif
    SongRune wrote: »
    Alpha-1 had full keybind customization.

Just to bring this back into view, It seems you already have what you want if they leave this in.
    I did see that but have also seen posts during that time that has made complaints about keybinds being hardcoded as well when searching on this topic.
  • Where? Can you point to these exact posts?
  • WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    Where? Can you point to these exact posts?

the wiki at least states that they couldnt be rebound during alpha 1. and theres been no mention of customization since.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Control_settings

the hope being the "yet" part of the quote
  • novercalis wrote: »
    Sorry, I am in a pissed off mood right now - just downloaded New World for the first time after hearing positive reviews from the recent PTR and got bored being a newbie in FS Archeage. So I wanted to prep NW before it's fresh start and get a feel for the game - to kill time until AoC Alpha 2 arrives.

Now I am in the process of getting refunded from New World because of a simple BULLSHIT decision that I have experienced in many Games and few MMOs

Re-learning to play as a right handed user is out the window for me personally, since I've been a PC gamer for 30 years.

Numpads
    Ctrl+Numpads
    Shift+Numpad

New World Failed immediately when I was unable to just Rebind the WASD to my Arrow Keys

I've had few games do that in the past as well. When they do pass the Arrow Keys check, some MMO does prevent us from

but we can't or at the very least; we Can but not get all 3 Ctrl, Alt, Shift combination.
    It's bad enough, Alt+Numpad isnt really viable for lefties (Right hand cant stretch holding ALT + hitting a numpad while still maintaining another finger on arrow keys)

TL'DR - Dear Devs of Ashes of Creation - Please please please make sure you don't hardcode ANY KEYS and be mindful of left handed players who uses other keys.

The world population is 8 billion... there is 800 MILLION lefty users in the world. (10%)

it's incredible painful and CRINGE in 2022 - game dev stills fucks on lefties in their games. Not many of us wants to use a 3rd party software either... when most Terms of Services advocates no 3rd party usage and we risk getting a ban because we had to circumvent a dumb decision.

Jump, Run, Crouch, Lay

Maybe it's just me.. I do not know if other lefties share this sentiment or not - or how they handle this.

Enter = Jump
    Shift = Run/Sprint
    Ctrl = Duck/Crouch
    Numpad . = Lay/Prone

My brain is so hardcoded to spam Enter to jump like a mad man. and many times, I end up STUCK IN PLACE because I opened chat dialog and then die for bad timing in-game.

The hell we do. Being left-handed doesn't mean you can't use the mouse with your right hand and W,A,S,D with your left.
    LordBlank wrote: »

The hell we do. Being left-handed doesn't mean you can't use the mouse with your right hand and W,A,S,D with your left.

If you've been writing with your left hand for all your life and now being told to write with your right hand, that sucks and extremely annoying to re-learn something.

The point is - consumers shouldn't be having to be inconvenienced by re-learning a keyboard, using their non-dominant hand to efficiently use a KB/Mouse, having to use a 3rd party software or pay for a $100 keyboard or a razer mouse to play a PC game. Am I saying AoC is doing this? NO.
    But because I just ran into this problem with NEW WORLD, a relatively new MMO in this day and age, I merely want to voice a fair criticism that has befallen to many other Lefties like myself.

As stated before - there are several lefties who got used to using WASD early on their PC life.
    As many lefties found something more comfortable for them using TFGH or IJKL keys while still be flexible to utilize alt/ctrl/shift/space bar for them. But others have grown used to with Arrow Keys.

This isnt a industry wide problem, as many devs / games dont run into this issue and forgotten about left handed users who struggles with WASD. Damn, cant a MFer make sure AoC doesnt blunder in this aspect. A 2021 PC game fucked up, so can AoC...

Numpads
    Ctrl+Numpads
    Shift+Numpad

Jump, Run, Crouch, Lay

Enter = Jump
    Shift = Run/Sprint
    Ctrl = Duck/Crouch
    Numpad . = Lay/Prone

while you have a valid point and im not against this being implemented, you can also use right alt shit and ctrol with = - 0987654321

the wasd thing sucks tho :disappointed: but have you considered buying a game pad such as nostromo or something similar for your right hand and just using the keyboard for typing?
    LordBlank wrote: »

If you've been writing with your left hand for all your life and now being told to write with your right hand, that sucks and extremely annoying to re-learn something.

The point is - consumers shouldn't be having to be inconvenienced by re-learning a keyboard, using their non-dominant hand to efficiently use a KB/Mouse, having to use a 3rd party software or pay for a $100 keyboard or a razer mouse to play a PC game. Am I saying AoC is doing this? NO.
    But because I just ran into this problem with NEW WORLD, a relatively new MMO in this day and age, I merely want to voice a fair criticism that has befallen to many other Lefties like myself.

As stated before - there are several lefties who got used to using WASD early on their PC life.
    As many lefties found something more comfortable for them using TFGH or IJKL keys while still be flexible to utilize alt/ctrl/shift/space bar for them. But others have grown used to with Arrow Keys.

This isnt a industry wide problem, as many devs / games dont run into this issue and forgotten about left handed users who struggles with WASD. Damn, cant a MFer make sure AoC doesnt blunder in this aspect. A 2021 PC game fucked up, so can AoC...

Well as a left-handed this isn't an issue for me. Learn to adapt.