Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Regarding the Hammer Ability

124»

Comments

• Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Why would the animation for the Bow affect whether or not the Hammer looks believable?

bruh you are missing the point. just answer the question, please. do you think it would look believable if a ranger with a bow had that animation? even tho the skill itself, in isolation, according to you, looks believable.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2022
    I don't unerstand the question.
    So, yes, I am missing your point.

If you are asking whether it's believable that whacking someone over the head with a Bow would cause damage, yes... that is believable. It's just unlikely that it would be a common tactic with a Bow. I would expect someone conjuring a Bow animation to conjure the Bow shooting arrows.
    But, if the person is going to use a magic Bow as f it's a melee weapon - yes, an animation similar to "Hammer Strike" would be believable.

I also have no clue what your last sentence means.

If you're asking whether it's believable that a Ranger who wields a physical Bow might conjure a Hammer Strike - sure it's believable, based on the individual character and/or the training of the Archetype/Class paths for a specific setting.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Krumdark wrote: »
    Solvryn wrote: »
    I just don’t think over the top animations are going to fit the game’s environmental art, I don’t care for the Ranger jump either.

Trim the fat on the art, sometimes less is more.

Now I don’t agree with all that. I love the animations as a whole

I don’t hate them, I just think the hammer and the rangers jumping thing look out of place.

Flashy abilities with the art style the way it it will take away from the environment.

Valheims hammer smash looks much more appropriate in terms of art and nothing detracts from one another.
  • Options
    The Intrepid artists love flashy combat animations.
  • Options
    I just don’t think over the top animations are going to fit the game’s environmental art, I don’t care for the Ranger jump either.

I don’t hate them, I just think the hammer and the rangers jumping thing look out of place.

Flashy abilities with the art style the way it it will take away from the environment.

Valheims hammer smash looks much more appropriate in terms of art and nothing detracts from one another.

Going to have to side with this one.

Flashy and epic animations are great. But if literally every ability is some massive epic thing, it takes away from all of the impact of abilities instead of highlighting ultimate abilities and particularly powerful abilities.

Keep it simple for the normal stuff. Light it up for ultimates and synergies.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Dolyem wrote: »

Going to have to side with this one.

Flashy and epic animations are great. But if literally every ability is some massive epic thing, it takes away from all of the impact of abilities instead of highlighting ultimate abilities and particularly powerful abilities.

Keep it simple for the normal stuff. Light it up for ultimates and synergies.

Yep. I’m looking at the palletes and the abilities across several biomes, and I just think it doesn’t fit.

I think if you smash the ground with the hammer it should have a natural shockwave with debris kicked up.
  • Options
    Kinda like the Greatsword's ground-cleave decals...
  • Options
    Kinda like the Greatsword's ground-cleave decals...

It looks like comic book art in a realistic setting.
  • Options
    ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Tenaciel wrote: »
    It's just me, or the huge conjured hammer for the fighter archetype is a little...unnatural? Maybe after you take your secondary archetype as summoner or mage...but as a basic skill for a phisical class?

i think its a bit big jaja
  • Options
    How i would do the hammer skill.
    For base class its just a heavy downward smash that does AoE dmg closer to the player (Same animation time so slow and stationary)
    For Advance archtype (So when u get your seconary class)
    - Cleric subclass, Works like the one we see, Heals user for a % of dmg dealt
    - Mage subclass, Acts the same as what we seen but elemental dmg and debuff such as chill or burn (Could choose someway in game via comboing it a certain way or talent tree or what not
    - Tank subclass, Same as the base kit but has CC attatched so like a knockdown
    - Rogue subclass, Same as subclass however your mobile while using it instead of being poisiton locked

And so on
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited December 2022
    Akaime wrote: »

As I mentioned higher in the thread, combat animations are still a placeholder per Steven.

So, your comments (along with most of the comments in the thread) are hasty judgments on an unfinished product.

When Beta rolls around and we have a game (or when Intrepid starts asking for feedback), that’s a good time for detailed discussion.
  • Options

As I mentioned higher in the thread, combat animations are still a placeholder per Steven.

So, your comments (along with most of the comments in the thread) are hasty judgments on an unfinished product.

When Beta rolls around and we have a game (or when Intrepid starts asking for feedback), that’s a good time for detailed discussion.

Don’t agree, now is the time to comment on what we see because they’re getting an idea of what the community likes.

There’s not much detail in pointing out I think that the hammer looks out of place and cartoonish and doesn’t fit the rest of the art style.

That feedback directly tells the devs that when they start to actually concentrate on the combat animations not to exclude the environment they spent years on making.

When the ground gets hit with a high impact ability, it should reflect that within its respective biome.
  • Options

Its all feedback. Better to say our opinions now so it may be know when polishing the look later
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Don’t agree, now is the time to comment on what we see because they’re getting an idea of what the community likes.

There’s not much detail in pointing out I think that the hammer looks out of place and cartoonish and doesn’t fit the rest of the art style.

That feedback directly tells the devs that when they start to actually concentrate on the combat animations not to exclude the environment they spent years on making.

When the ground gets hit with a high impact ability, it should reflect that within its respective biome.
    Yep. Mentioning it now doesn't hurt anything.
    The devs might already have plans to change the design.
    The devs might decide they want to placate players' complaints.
    Or they might decide not to change it at all.

If they do decide to change the appearance of the animation, it should take them less time than it has for them to tweak race models, and...
    We don't have a release date anyways, so...
  • Options

Yep. Mentioning it now doesn't hurt anything.
    The devs might already have plans to change the design.
    The devs might decide they want to placate players' complaints.
    Or they might decide not to change it at all.

If they do decide to change the appearance of the animation, it should take them less time than it has for them to tweak race models, and...
    We don't have a release date anyways, so...

Yup! Just dont want to see environment excluded from the combat art.
  • Options

The only ability I see out of place is the hammer which is why I made this post in the first place. I really don’t have critique towards anything else animation wise and think they look cool and make more sense.
  • Options

Anytime is fine for detailed discussion. They constantly ask for feedback on things that are showcased.
  • Options

The only ability I see out of place is the hammer which is why I made this post in the first place. I really don’t have critique towards anything else animation wise and think they look cool and make more sense.

Eh, I have a critique against anything that's overly flashy and doesn't include the environment, it really doesn't make much sense to me that all that labor into the environment to not be included into the combat.
  • Options
    I exclusively play melee character's, Tank/Dps, I do not like casting spells or having melee effects look like I did. The massive hammer graphic is extremely distracting/annoying to me, and detracts from the aesthetic I lean into when I play. That's just my opinion.
  • Options
    I exclusively play melee character's, Tank/Dps, I do not like casting spells or having melee effects look like I did. The massive hammer graphic is extremely distracting/annoying to me, and detracts from the aesthetic I lean into when I play. That's just my opinion.

I think melee magic effects can work just with the right classes and weapons you’re using.