Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Release dates would be awesome.

I love paying almost $400 and we can’t even get ballpark estimate on alpha and beta release dates…

Comments

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Flucke wrote: »
    I love paying almost $400 and we can’t even get ballpark estimate on alpha and beta release dates…

Didnt you just joined? You didnt pay anything.
  • Not looking for another "holiday release-window" game, here. That's what ruined the 2nd KOTOR game - and I'm sure countless other games.

Just go to YouTube or Google and look for your flavor-of-the-moment releases, which I'm sensing that you're all about, @Flucke. That way, you can just continue on within the cycle of flavorless game-after-game - and you won't be disappointed with the endless flow of cash-grab, forget-able mobile games that will no doubt be forthcoming.

AoC has the potential to be one of many "passion-project" games to be produced in the years to come, that will focus on innovation and unique/new game mechanics - the way MMO evolution *should* be steering, in order to grow and retain a playerbase. The alternative is.... pretty much everything you've ever played otherwise, up to this point. I suspect that's why you'd expect to be pressing for a well-defined release date, despite whatever the quality of the game will be, at that point in time.

As long as it takes, man. As long as it takes!

• Things you can be sure about:

- Death

- Taxes

- Ashes not catering to impatient players.
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    your entitlement is denied here. Welcome to Ashes Forum - you may place the rest of that monopoly money over there with the rest of them.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    truth is, no one at Intrepid knows when this game will be ready to launch.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • mykmyk Member
    I mean, we all want the best game ever. Believe me, I do. There's really not much that can keep my attention for very long.

However, when I see AoC, I see a game that is literally selling content; ie: cosmetics, on a regular basis and repaying the customer with promises of a future and some fancy videos, plus of course, the constant "glorious" adjective.

I am not asking anyone to rush anything. I absolutely want AoC to be everything it can be. The idea of structured, world-wide PvP with solid and meaningful PvE content is amazing and I really am looking forward to the gameplay.

However, I don't think it's out of line for the OP to be asking for some kind of schedule. There used to be one, you can find it anytime you want to.

Just look here:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Release_schedule

The last entry was in August of 2021, so really quite some time since we've had any kind of timeline at all.

Again, there is a vast difference between someone saying, "hey can you give us an idea of what things are looking like?" Vs someone saying, "Omg hurry up please."

Not asking anyone to hurry up at all.

However, as someone who has been following this game for literally years, I also would like to know, what the plans are in terms of a schedule, what things look like in the future, when we can expect something playable and real in our hands to actually get in and start building this "glorious" world.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The good news remains that either Ashes or Riot MMO should be released within a few years.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    Do remember, prior before the roadmap - there was no world wide pandemic that changed affected everything. Things went slow and then making a switch to UE5 even moreso & I think we can all agree, the UE5 switch was worth it.
  • @myk Its not like IS is asking its player base to help fund the project by buying cosmetics, cause that would be ridiculous, I can't imagine what people would do if the player base had to consistently fund the game through non achievable not in game cosmetics!

Seriously though, don't like? Don't buy, any reason at all? Don't buy. Or do, just know you can't complain about it.

Also finally many have forgotten this statement but we do have an approximation from Stephen for Alpha 2. In a stream early in 2022 he stated that once the phrase "Alpha 2" was consistently used during update streams we could expect the Alpha 2 within the coming months. Well we are on month 3 of tthe phrase being used consistently which paints us an Alpha 2 release date somewhere this year, probably in Q2.
  • edited January 2023
    novercalis wrote: »
    Do remember, prior before the roadmap - there was no world wide pandemic that changed affected everything. Things went slow and then making a switch to UE5 even moreso & I think we can all agree, the UE5 switch was worth it.

Pandemic had 0 negative affect on gaming industry. Internally as well. Switching to UE5 speeds up process.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • mykmyk Member
    @Voxtrium One thing I definitely don't like is the toxic nature of these forums.

Anyone has the right to voice their thoughts... in fact, I went out of my way to show how impressed I am with everything going on here - and yes, speak my mind as well.

The biggest turn off for me so far, is not the year and a half with no roadmap update... its the toxic fanboys who refuse to allow anyone to voice any opinion other than pathetic fawning over Intrepid.

If you don't like what I write, that's fine - but why take the time to blast me with some negativity? I see it anytime anyone dares to be critical of the Glorious AoC Creators... and that's just not healthy at all.

Pandemic had 0 negative affect on gaming industry. Internally as well. Switching to UE5 speeds up process.

Hiring Process, cause they were still looking for a lot of people during this time. Also working from Home which there is many empirical data showing productivity is less vs at office.
    I dont ever recall them saying it speed up the process.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Unreal_Engine_5

In Fact - all it did was "save time" had it done later and rebuilding anything bugs, etc.
    It didnt effect back end stuff but did effect front end, which was small now to pull the trigger, as opposed to later.

"Over October and November, that's when McP and the engineers began to do the base migration of our custom code-base into UE5 see where there were any major issues."

Which we are not privy to know if they ran into any major issues. But to say this had no timeline effect - i call bull.
    Q: How does this upgrade to UE5 affect the Ashes of Creation release timeline?[4]

A: While UE4 is a great engine, there are certain focuses and technological endeavors that Epic is doing on UE5 that won't necessarily be supported by UE4; and we want to make sure given the lifespan of Ashes and how long we intend this MMO to last, that when we made this decision early on during the development process that we weren't going to exacerbate the amount of effort it would take to move over later in the lifespan or after launch.
    edited January 2023

Hiring Process, cause they were still looking for a lot of people during this time. Also working from Home which there is many empirical data showing productivity is less vs at office.

In Fact - all it did was "save time" had it done later and rebuilding anything bugs, etc.
    It didnt effect back end stuff but did effect front end, which was small now to pull the trigger, as opposed to later.

"Over October and November, that's when McP and the engineers began to do the base migration of our custom code-base into UE5 see where there were any major issues."

Which we are not privy to know if they ran into any major issues. But to say this had no timeline effect - i call bull.

Q: How does this upgrade to UE5 affect the Ashes of Creation release timeline?[4]

A: While UE4 is a great engine, there are certain focuses and technological endeavors that Epic is doing on UE5 that won't necessarily be supported by UE4; and we want to make sure given the lifespan of Ashes and how long we intend this MMO to last, that when we made this decision early on during the development process that we weren't going to exacerbate the amount of effort it would take to move over later in the lifespan or after launch.
    [/quote]

exacerbate the amount of effort it would take to move over later
  • Voxtrium wrote: »
    Also finally many have forgotten this statement but we do have an approximation from Stephen for Alpha 2. In a stream early in 2022 he stated that once the phrase "Alpha 2" was consistently used during update streams we could expect the Alpha 2 within the coming months. Well we are on month 3 of tthe phrase being used consistently which paints us an Alpha 2 release date somewhere this year, probably in Q2.
    I was going to say that if Alpha 2 is good enough, I would pay a subscription too, and help it stay longer in this phase.
    But I changed my mind.
    I'll buy cosmetics.
    In Alpha 2 I predict a big increase in cosmetic sales, as we might see them live in game.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I think what he is trying to say is please just give us some updates on whats left to polish up.before A2, no timelines needed, no dates, just give us sime information on how far along we are, selling items is not okay if people may not even be around by the time the game releases, give us some context
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Why?
    What would having a date carved in stone do for you? Will it make the project get done quicker?
    What if they miss it again do to unforeseen circumstances? Will you be on the list of people storming the various places with pitchforks?
    Release happens when it happens. I am sure they have internal documents and dates set but I fail to see any reason they need to or should share any of that with anyone outside the company.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • CptBrownBeardCptBrownBeard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There's a reason they haven't given dates, which Steven has already elaborated on during streams. When they know, we'll know. Any request for locked down dates come from the ignorant or the petulant.
  • im sure alpha 2 will be out before summer. it seems IS finished building the things they needed to build before building "the game", and alpha 2 wont be feature complete at start anyways, so they don't have to finish the whole game before alpha 2
  • Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited January 2023
    Akaime wrote: »
    I think what he is trying to say is please just give us some updates on whats left to polish up.before A2, no timelines needed, no dates, just give us sime information on how far along we are, selling items is not okay if people may not even be around by the time the game releases, give us some context

Buying one of the $400 cosmetic packs does mean you'd like to support the game (and get early access keys).

Buying one of the $400 cosmetic packs doesn't mean it's compulsory for the devs to give milestone dates.

There's no requirement or obligation to buy the packs.

You don't have to give Intrepid a dime until launch.
  • Akaime wrote: »

We already get more information - every month, in-fact. They don't HAVE to provide transparent development - but they do.

YOU, in-particular, seem to be of the entitled lot, given your recent postings. When we pay for cosmetics *now*, we do so knowing that our enjoyment of them is to be delayed until the time comes that we can use them - not with the promise of "Oh, it'll be by this-or-this date - no matter how the game looks/performs, by then". You know - in contrast nearly every single corporate-driven MMO that's ever been. While it wasn't for me, yours truly nonetheless has great respect for FF having been purposefully been taken down and re-made, in order to cater more to the fans' intrinsic wants.

There's plenty of "context" to be found in the Ashes wiki - even about many of the NPC groups/factions-to-be. Perhaps your own context could be a little clearer: Are you to imply that people whom have payed for cosmetics will have died of old age, by launch, or that perhaps that mankind itself will become extinct?

To buy cosmetics now is to understand that there's still a wait, ahead of the buyer. I don't want just another, easily-forgotten cash-shop-centric Korean MMO; "As long as it takes", is fine by me, for such a passion project.

• I partially agree that allowing yourself to sell $400 cosmectics for a game that you don't know the release date (even approximately), can be interpreted as a scam.

It doesn't mean that it is a scam, but we have to understand those who think it is :D . I don't think it's a scam but I won't buy cosmetics for 400$.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2023
    myk wrote: »
    The biggest turn off for me so far, is not the year and a half with no roadmap update... its the toxic fanboys who refuse to allow anyone to voice any opinion other than pathetic fawning over Intrepid.

The OP came in with a snarky and edgy comment that is either extremely uninformed or a deliberate troll attempt (or both). Either way it brings nothing of value to the forum here. It's clearly not a good-faith attempt to express their opinion, even if it's only based on ignorance and not on malice. You are not really doing yourself any favour trying to defend it, but you do you I guess.

A good-faith attempt based on ignorance would be more like:
    I am super fucking frustrated that I spent $375 on getting A2 access and they haven't released any sort of roadmap yet. Why don't they do that?

That could lead to an actual constructive discussion about why they aren't releasing roadmaps and dates, and the pros and cons of it, and the OP could even learn from it.

It looks like you aren't super active on the forums, so maybe you haven't seen all the criticisms of the game and intrepid that occur regularly here, that has actual constructive discussions. I can see you have a couple of takes on this game, equating it to star citizen in terms of financing and never releasing, and how the game will somehow be obsolete by the time it releases. I think those are hilariously bad takes that are easily taken apart, but even those opinions of yours aren't presented as badly and pointlessly as the OP does here.

There have been many posts like the OP here where it's clear they are either trolling or haven't spent even a minute looking into how the open game development works. It's nothing new, and I am sure we'll see more if it.

As for the roadmap, not even Steven knows when A2 is ready. I am sure they have goals and target dates, but they'd be morons for releasing them to the public, because they can change from day to day, and many people are incapable of forgiving any sort of delays.

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Myosotys wrote: »
    It doesn't mean that it is a scam, but we have to understand those who think it is :D . I don't think it's a scam but I won't buy cosmetics for 400$.
    You aren't buying cosmetics for $400. $400 means you are serious enough about testing the game rather than just playing the game to participate in the development by submitting bugs during Alpha and Beta.
  • edited January 2023

Completely false. Hiring was booming during pandemic to the fact that many companies was over-hiring. Hence the major layoffs we are seeing across the country right now.

There is no data showing less productivity WFH. Completely false. A quick Google search will tell you WFH have increased productivity. Please don't push that narrative. It's harmful actually.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/glebtsipursky/2022/11/03/workers-are-less-productive-working-remotely-at-least-thats-what-their-bosses-think/?sh=4017dd62286a
    https://www.apollotechnical.com/working-from-home-productivity-statistics/

UE5 definitely speeds up process of world building as UE5 let designers work in sync and helps their workflow. They don't have to switch back n forth from Zbrush, they can keep everything in engine. It is also much more viable for performance and don't cause as many limitations.
    This video explains it; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23GSdvV1dB0
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited January 2023
    Dygz wrote: »
    Myosotys wrote: »
    You aren't buying cosmetics for $400. $400 means you are serious enough about testing the game rather than just playing the game to participate in the development by submitting bugs during Alpha and Beta.

Then it doesn't look very serious to pay 400$ to work as an Alpha-beta tester :#

• Completely false. Hiring was booming during pandemic to the fact that many companies was over-hiring. Hence the major layoffs we are seeing across the country right now.

Regardless of macroeconomics... WFH changed what was going on in the corporate environment, IS does not WFH, all of their jobs are in office only jobs. So it is likely WFH changed the landscape for IS development plan, most likely setting it back considering their hiring desires.

edited January 2023
    Depraved wrote: »
    im sure alpha 2 will be out before summer. it seems IS finished building the things they needed to build before building "the game", and alpha 2 wont be feature complete at start anyways, so they don't have to finish the whole game before alpha 2

I had thought summer several months ago. With the last 3 streams - I got the notion we will not be getting A2 this year, or at the very best, End of year Dec (and that might just be an announcement).

There is still a lot of mechanics/systems showcase that hasnt been shown off, explained, reviewed. There is easily more than 12 dev showcases to cover for this year.
    In the end - I don't expect full release until 2027 which would make it 10 years in production - the avg standard making an mmo. If we are lucky, 2026 release, winter 2025 beta 2, summer 2025 beta 1, winter 2024 alpha 2
    edited January 2023

Completely false. Hiring was booming during pandemic to the fact that many companies was over-hiring. Hence the major layoffs we are seeing across the country right now.

There is no data showing less productivity WFH. Completely false. A quick Google search will tell you WFH have increased productivity. Please don't push that narrative. It's harmful actually.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/glebtsipursky/2022/11/03/workers-are-less-productive-working-remotely-at-least-thats-what-their-bosses-think/?sh=4017dd62286a
    https://www.apollotechnical.com/working-from-home-productivity-statistics/

UE5 definitely speeds up process of world building as UE5 let designers work in sync and helps their workflow. They don't have to switch back n forth from Zbrush, they can keep everything in engine. It is also much more viable for performance and don't cause as many limitations.
    This video explains it; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23GSdvV1dB0

watch the dev streams during the pandemic year - they werent hiring as many during this time.

----
    UE5 - IT SAVED THEM TIME making the move early as opposed later. But that MOVE took time from the initial roadmap they had.
  • novercalis wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »
    im sure alpha 2 will be out before summer. it seems IS finished building the things they needed to build before building "the game", and alpha 2 wont be feature complete at start anyways, so they don't have to finish the whole game before alpha 2

I had thought summer several months ago. With the last 3 streams - I got the notion we will not be getting A2 this year, or at the very best, End of year Dec (and that might just be an announcement).

There is still a lot of mechanics/systems showcase that hasnt been shown off, explained, reviewed. There is easily more than 12 dev showcases to cover for this year.
    In the end - I don't expect full release until 2027 which would make it 10 years in production - the avg standard making an mmo. If we are lucky, 2026 release, winter 2025 beta 2, summer 2025 beta 1, winter 2024 alpha 2

100% disagree, this timeline does not correlate with stephens statement in past streams regarding alpha 2. Stephen stated in the past that Alpha 2 would not be the game with full features. Yes theres easily 12 more streams, but no they don't need to be before the Alpha, 2, Stephen stated the Alpha will be near once the phrase "Alpha 2" was consistently used in streams, they started using it consistently 3 months ago, putting a logical alpha 6 months from now with an announcement in 3 months and definitive indicators over the next 2 months. Lastly Stephen stated that the Alpha will be persistent till launch, makes no sense for him to go back on that now and lastly, to have an alpha that is not feature complete only last 6 months is silly, Alpha 2 will be a testing phase that likely last for 18 months before the Beta 1 and 2 servers come online for 1 month each with a 1 month break between to allow for polishing and finally the game an additional month after that.

So basically Alpha 2 this year probably summer is their goal, maybe late summer/fall, then 2024 summer
    (if all went well) we can start to look for those beta announcements, if its rough then it'll be up to 2 years. The final note to remember is that IS is hiring like madmen, they are expanding their capabilities, our current pace of development is not our future one.

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2023
    Hahaha!
    We'll see. But, mentioning Alpha 2 consistently will not be the hint.
    Expect at least 4+ months of a flash screen that says Alpha 2 Preview.

The goal for release was "before 2020". So, the dev team "goals" are irrelevant with regard to dates.
    Which is precisely why they don't share their roadmap publicly.