Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Things to keep us playing end game

2»

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »
    Azherae wrote: »
    You're just too easy to make happy too, NiKr, I think.
    I mean, I love idlers :D I'm at the bottom of the foodchain when it comes to pleasing me with a game.

But as I said, OP is a heroin addict who somehow thinks there's something better out there, when there's not. SAO would add the only missing "dynamism" to the equation - the full immersion. A monitor and a kbm/controller can only take you so far. I mean, I guess there's the literal infinity of thought but some people can't access that freely, so D&D-type stuff doesn't apply.

For me a non-SAO peak mmo would be a game where you can create your own spells. I had an idea of an elemental particles-based system, where you start with pretty much a pixel of a single element and go as far as "combination of all elements into "a something" that draws upon the mana of everyone in a 500m radius around your character".

And as you pointed out, this kind of freedom of choice could be applied to other kinds of content in the game, but I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this type of game would be to design/develop, let alone balance.

I forgot what the game that did let you come up with your own stuff (freedom limited ofc) is called, but I hear it was quite fun. Humans will kick the fun out of that game style pretty quick though, if it is a competitive game.

I hope Ashes gets close to whatever it was though, since honestly, Augments are only one step down from that.

What say you, @Lust69, is either 'a crafting system so deep that it takes people years to make the optimal recipe for a single personalized weapon' or 'a magic system so deep that you wouldn't even bother asking a Modder to do anything' exciting enough?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    tautau wrote: »
    Rarely, however, some servers will end up with a metro in a remote area thus allowing us to experience their different 'high' content. Word will spread that on server Balderdash that the node at 'Land's End' leveled up and they saw previously unique bosses and new weapons and content! All these dozens of remote nodes that have never been levelled up...now people will try to level them up for their 'high' content!
    This type of stuff is why I hope Ashes will have something like a world-wide news agency or something like that. So that I could hear about some server that's about to have a coastal node siege and I'd go visit that server as a tourist. Though I dunno who'd be up for aggregating literal thousand of pieces of info from all across all the servers (potentially hundreds, if the game is popular enough) onto a single easily parsable site.

Hi, did someone call me?

• Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For pvp, they're going to have to occasionally infuse the game with new sources of soft friction. Create new things to fight over and new reasons to fight over them. Eventually, new things for individual players to strive for and for guilds to strive for, regarding rank, titles, power, wealth, potentially new government forms and organizations. New lands to conquer and fight over. Etc etc. Timeline in years potentially.

For pve, new pve. New bosses, dungeons, mob types, important items to harvest from the world. Invasions. Plagues or things that otherwise cause "darkness" to descend on the land, that must be fought back. Keep churning out new pve content with new ways to fight it itself and new reasons to fight over it with other players.
  • Options
    I forgot what the game that did let you come up with your own stuff (freedom limited ofc) is called, but I hear it was quite fun. Humans will kick the fun out of that game style pretty quick though, if it is a competitive game.
    Yeah, there was an xbox game that let you combine certain elements and effects into your own spells. It got brought up the last time I mentioned my idea. I watched a few videos about that game and it seemed that some spells were OP as hell, though the game was single player so it didn't really matter in the end.
    Hi, did someone call me?
    If you'd be up to it then I definitely hope that Ashes ends up being a game that you and your team love :)
  • Options
    Lust69 wrote: »
    All very good replies there is certainly going to be much more going on at end game than most games we know of but we are just discussing content we already know about.

What do we do when our guild has full control over the nodes and maxed them. Got all the gear from the dynamic and randomised boss mobs. Pvp against your rival is old and have all the legendary items and role-played for months.

Does anyone have any new ideas for this game at what some would consider end game? I feel like there could be something new and exciting.

I'm not sure what you're referring to.

If my guild has control over Metropolis A, there's a chance that the guild controlling Metropolis B will want Metropolis A to be brought down for some reason. Maybe even just to weaken my guild.

That would result in new rivals, new bosses, new RP.

You basically defined it as 'what if every dynamic aspect of the game stopped being dynamic, what other new and exciting ideas do you have?'

Is that right?

Everything stopping being dynamic could be used as a basis to come up with new content, yes but I think the content you refer to isn’t really dynamic enough as in a constant change, activity, or progress. New rivals, new bosses and new RP is going to stop being dynamic after a few months. How many bosses will it be before it’s just another boss. How many rivals will it be until it’s just another rival and I guess RP could last a long time but even that will get old. This content is still going to be very good. But why stop there? There could be something we are missing that could make this game even better that’s what I’m trying to find.

I don't know if Ashes will live up to the standards of the games I play, sure.

My favorite one has 2278 bosses/encounters, though (that I can find, obviously these have been added over years and years).

My other one is 'a simulation of the entire milky way galaxy, the section humans are in is thousands of inhabited star systems'.

I'm easy to keep happy, so I'm probably not the best person to answer this.

If Ashes has even 300 unique and interesting encounters, even if only 30 of those are actually 'strong', I probably wouldn't get bored for YEARS.

I guess I just can't see how with dozens of nodes, hundreds of bosses, and thousands of opponents/RP partners, 'boredom' is going to be a thing in less than 'years'. So... I guess I just disagree with you, actually.

I assume these games you have been playing are a joke unless you’re referring to real life haha I agree with you to a certain extent this games systems are dynamic more than any other mmorpg we have played apart from the one with 2278 bosses and the one with thousands of inhabited star systems although that would be difficult because most planets aren’t in the goldilocks area of their solar system. I guess I’m saying it starts of dynamic then stops being so. My main object of this discussion is to discuss more exciting content there could be more. As it stands I’m also happy with the current content it would last longer than most mmorpg we know of but what else can we come up with.

Well, if we're just brainstorming and we've already got 'dynamic characterization', 'dynamic bosses', 'dynamic locations and dungeons', and 'political intrigue'...

Ashes already has the 'monster events' and 'monster sieges' and 'monster coins' and will also have Naval content...

Infinite progression is impossible... I guess they could add more 'level restricted' content to expand the flow, and make a bigger deal out of the social organization stuff like letting players create them in specific curated ways.

I just don't know what one adds when the game already has plans to have 'everything' that it can have within its own scope (Magic Fantasy MMO).

Are you asking for something so exciting that it doesn't exist in ANY game yet?

Ok I agree there is a lot of content I’m not saying there isn’t. Yes the idea was to come up with something that doesn’t exist in any game yet. That’s all. It actually sounds quite exciting after it was made into a summary. Who do you guys think I am Wolverine?

• Options
    All very good replies there is certainly going to be much more going on at end game than most games we know of but we are just discussing content we already know about.

What do we do when our guild has full control over the nodes and maxed them. Got all the gear from the dynamic and randomised boss mobs. Pvp against your rival is old and have all the legendary items and role-played for months.

Does anyone have any new ideas for this game at what some would consider end game? I feel like there could be something new and exciting.

I'm not sure what you're referring to.

If my guild has control over Metropolis A, there's a chance that the guild controlling Metropolis B will want Metropolis A to be brought down for some reason. Maybe even just to weaken my guild.

That would result in new rivals, new bosses, new RP.

You basically defined it as 'what if every dynamic aspect of the game stopped being dynamic, what other new and exciting ideas do you have?'

Is that right?

Everything stopping being dynamic could be used as a basis to come up with new content, yes but I think the content you refer to isn’t really dynamic enough as in a constant change, activity, or progress. New rivals, new bosses and new RP is going to stop being dynamic after a few months. How many bosses will it be before it’s just another boss. How many rivals will it be until it’s just another rival and I guess RP could last a long time but even that will get old. This content is still going to be very good. But why stop there? There could be something we are missing that could make this game even better that’s what I’m trying to find.

I don't know if Ashes will live up to the standards of the games I play, sure.

My favorite one has 2278 bosses/encounters, though (that I can find, obviously these have been added over years and years).

My other one is 'a simulation of the entire milky way galaxy, the section humans are in is thousands of inhabited star systems'.

I'm easy to keep happy, so I'm probably not the best person to answer this.

If Ashes has even 300 unique and interesting encounters, even if only 30 of those are actually 'strong', I probably wouldn't get bored for YEARS.

I guess I just can't see how with dozens of nodes, hundreds of bosses, and thousands of opponents/RP partners, 'boredom' is going to be a thing in less than 'years'. So... I guess I just disagree with you, actually.

I assume these games you have been playing are a joke unless you’re referring to real life haha I agree with you to a certain extent this games systems are dynamic more than any other mmorpg we have played apart from the one with 2278 bosses and the one with thousands of inhabited star systems although that would be difficult because most planets aren’t in the goldilocks area of their solar system. I guess I’m saying it starts of dynamic then stops being so. My main object of this discussion is to discuss more exciting content there could be more. As it stands I’m also happy with the current content it would last longer than most mmorpg we know of but what else can we come up with.

Well, if we're just brainstorming and we've already got 'dynamic characterization', 'dynamic bosses', 'dynamic locations and dungeons', and 'political intrigue'...

Ashes already has the 'monster events' and 'monster sieges' and 'monster coins' and will also have Naval content...

Infinite progression is impossible... I guess they could add more 'level restricted' content to expand the flow, and make a bigger deal out of the social organization stuff like letting players create them in specific curated ways.

I just don't know what one adds when the game already has plans to have 'everything' that it can have within its own scope (Magic Fantasy MMO).

Are you asking for something so exciting that it doesn't exist in ANY game yet?

Ok I agree there is a lot of content I’m not saying there isn’t. Yes the idea was to come up with something that doesn’t exist in any game yet. That’s all. It actually sounds quite exciting after it was made into a summary. Who do you guys think I am Wolverine?

No worries, I was honestly just verifying.

There's a big difference to me, between talking about 'how could the game do something better or add something that is not normally in this type of game', and 'anyone have any ideas that the Game Industry itself has never actually successfully done before?'

So, no, I don't have any revolutionary ideas outside the scope of contemporary game design, at the moment. I'm just here for the ride hoping against hope that we get what they promised to begin with.

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    To acquire BiS gear, people will be wanting a Metro of the desired Node Type and Racial population.
    There are 9 races and only 5 Metros, so.... there will always be some people striving to destroy a Metro and raise a replacement with their preferred Racial population.

After a player reaches max Adventurer progression, there is still Artisan, Religion, Racial, Guild, Social Org, Node and Naval progression. Expect Seasons and Events to also impact changes to the game wrold that players will want to explore.
    I also expect lots of Ashes players to be having fun pirating the Open Seas when they are max level.
  • Options
    In WoW: Dragonflight - it feels like my character at max Adventurer Level is focused on the equivalent of Social Org progression. I need my Valdrakken Accord Rep to be Level 21 so I can get the cosmetic appearances I want from my Dragon Mount. I think after Level 10, my progression has slowed to about 1 Level per week.
    But, I'm also progressing the other 3 major Factions/Social Orgs. I'm doing Fishing dailies. I'm participating in Dragon races. I sometimes participate in monster Hunts. The last Mountain Climbing quest I has seemed to be bugged, so I need to try that again after today's patch and see if that's been fixed.
    I still need to work on my Crafting/Alchemy progression - when I have the time.

And... I think due to Level Scaling, there's still a ton of side quests I need to complete.
    I have plenty to do while ignoring dungeons and raids.

I think we may be reaching a point in MMORPG development where we can finally ever quest.
  • Options
    I don't want progression of gear resources to be time gated. Having a specific time I have to get on to fight a boss is exactly why I don't play games for. There needs to be some other method for elongating progression than just drop chances and time gated events.

For example, make the fight harder in terms of needed skill. Not just boosting hp bars out to space. Thus you're rewarded for playing the game and not just zerg rushing things.
  • Options
    blta wrote: »
    I don't want progression of gear resources to be time gated. Having a specific time I have to get on to fight a boss is exactly why I don't play games for. There needs to be some other method for elongating progression than just drop chances and time gated events.

For example, make the fight harder in terms of needed skill. Not just boosting hp bars out to space. Thus you're rewarded for playing the game and not just zerg rushing things.
    Changing the boss' difficulty would only time gate the gear even more. BiS in Ashes will come from open world bosses (be it direct drops or mats used in crafting later), so unless you have 20 of the same boss spawn every 10 minutes somewhere on the server - ya ain't getting your gear anytime soon.

Not everyone is a winner in Ashes, so if you dislike games where you can't just get what you want when you want it - you might dislike Ashes too.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack

You can buy the mats. Find a path towards wealth.
  • Options
    bltablta Member
    edited January 2023
    I don't see how it would be time gated, it would at the least skill gate for a boss encounter. Perhaps it doesn't work with open world bosses, but that is another discussion, ie having to farm world bosses for a chance for a crafting drop is less rewarding than a more skilled boss and better boss fight mechanics.

Time gating is a horrible mechanic, and to be sure we're on the same page as what the definition of time gating is, here is my definition: to restrict the access based on when something is available.

Which means whatever I want that is time gated is dependent on me fitting a schedule around it. I've played plenty of time gated mmos, and there's nothing worse than having to set my day to log in at a specific time only to get crushed by some rng drop rate at that time gated event.

I did not say that we should just be able to get what we wanted and not have time gated events. Instead it should be gated by the amount of effort in obtaining whatever we're after. Having a skill gated event is better in a boss encounter, because you can attempt the fight whenever you have time to play, but also it is difficult enough that you have to actively improve your play in order to succeed at the boss encounter.

• Options
    Having a skill gated event is better in a boss encounter, because you can attempt the fight whenever you have time to play
    Except you don't in Ashes. Like I said, bosses are open world. Literally the entire server could be gunning for that boss. And if the boss is difficult enough to push people's skills to the max, any kind of interference will fuck up a raid. Which means that any guild who wants the boss for themselves and not for others will go and fuck up all the other raids until they themselves are ready to attempt the boss, at which point a yet another guild will start fucking shit up.

And now you have several guilds fighting over a very difficult boss, so no one gets the loot. And while, yes, this doesn't quite fall under the direct definition of "timegate", it does however move the time of someone successfully acquiring the loot ever further, so in a way it's even worse than a timegate.
  • Options
    bltablta Member
    edited January 2023
    I played AA to know that open world bosses that need large amounts of people in a guild to tackle an open world boss does nothing but cause time gate issues, ie the major guilds would schedule to do the open world boss at obscene hours of the day/night, put guards to rotate and prevent other guilds from attempting and then it just becomes a mess of constant side line pvp without any progression.

So yes, I agree with you that it just delays progression even more.

And again, the open world boss mechanic is another discussion, I see that you keep bringing my arguments back to what is currently being done in ashes, that it is an open world boss and making it also skill gated wouldn't be beneficial.

But I am just arguing only that time gated encounters are a bad mechanic in general. Skill should be rewarded, and for the sake of this argument, I would say putting an instanced boss encounter that is more skill demanding would be better than an open world time gated encounter. But I know that people are going to cry about instanced dungeons and things not being as fun as open world, but this is just an example for the argument, I am not saying instanced encounters are better than open world.

Only that skill gates and better than time gates
  • Options
    Things that keep me playing a game:

Variety, difficulty, progression, economic evolution, content patches, new play models (new pvp mode, new dungeon style, new housing concept, new crafting classes, etc.), and finally, the ability to feel relevant in the game compared to the time I play! (should be proportionnal and not exponential, leaving casuals in the dust and eliminating them eventually).

What doesnt keep me playing: new classes (instead, rework/evolve current classes or add declinations), MOAR LEVELS,
  • Options
    But I am just arguing only that time gated encounters are a bad mechanic in general. Skill should be rewarded, and for the sake of this argument, I would say putting an instanced boss encounter that is more skill demanding would be better than an open world time gated encounter. But I know that people are going to cry about instanced dungeons and things not being as fun as open world, but this is just an example for the argument, I am not saying instanced encounters are better than open world.
    I mean, instanced content will always be qualitatively better than open world one (especially in games with owpvp), but Ashes is just not a game to have instanced bosses that give BiS gear.

There's a tiny chance that Steven somehow does a 180 and goes directly against the "risk/reward" design of open world bosses, but so far he's only doubled down on owpvp, so I somehow doubt that he'll go for instances. And that is why I said that you might dislike this game, considering that you've already said that you disliked ow bosses in other game. And especially considering that you've already player AA and disliked them there too.
  • Options
    Again, I'm not here to say ashes need to change this and that, I'm just stating that it would be better to have skill gated content to help keep playing in the long term, than time gated content

I don't care if it's on ow or instanced, and I am not trying to talk about it on ashes specifically, I am stating in general, that skill > time gate content

please stop trying to tell me if it would be better on ashes or not, the thread's about what would keep you playing, so I'm saying what would keep me playing lol

thanks for thinking if i'll like the game or not, i think i'll make my own judgement on it
  • Options
    Again, I'm not here to say ashes need to change this and that, I'm just stating that it would be better to have skill gated content to help keep playing in the long term, than time gated content

I don't care if it's on ow or instanced, and I am not trying to talk about it on ashes specifically, I am stating in general, that skill > time gate content
    But you agree that ow bosses who are also difficult (skill gated) would only lead to even more time gating, so they'd either have to be instanced or be forever unkilled.

I guess I just approached this from the wrong angle. If harder content would keep you playing, would you be ok with it not giving you BiS gear? Cause if that's the case then I'd assume Intrepid will keep using instanced bosses for their story content and there's a chance that later expansions will make those bosses harder.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    As stated before - progression of gear severely limited ALA Everquest.

not everyone got raid gear. Hell not everyone gets specific loots from a random ass dungeon. Drops were rare and camped.

Original Journeyman Boots in Everquest can take you 76 hours camping the same mob, killing it every 20 min for it to potentially drop. So unless your gonna no sleep grind for 3 days straight (LITERALLY HAD TO DO THIS WHEN I WAS 16) - players created a waiting list. If you're not there waiting, or not online and respond - you lose your spot in the line. It took weeks for many ppl to get their boots.
    Let's not even talk about epic quests for their epic weapon/armor - months to complete, raid content required - which once again NOT EVERYONE GOT TO SEE cause that is gated by the top guilds. You rarely get to see those items sold, cause it took roughly a year to gear a guild out.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    hmmm interesting thread.
    What keeps people playing a game is inherently unique to that person.
    I'm sure there was some focus group or gaming university thesis that has the stats on this topic as a bell curve with survey responses and such...I'm hopeful the devs have someone who has in-depth knowledge of this.

For me at least what keeps me playing is community, dynamic events and exploration.
    I can play a game for a long time for exploration alone (No Man's Sky) but it lacked the community...
    If there's just the community but things are static and stagnant...then it becomes a glorified virtual chat room and there's less of a pull with no/few/shitty dynamic changes.

So I feel like as long as they don't kill the server community (*cough* WoW), they have dynamic events in an ever changing world, and things to explore (areas, mobs, world events, pvp etc) then I'll have no reason to quit.
  • Options
    StreviStrevi Member
    edited January 2023
    Strevi wrote: »
    you need wires touching your body :smile:
    That's that SAO shit. The good shit. I can't wait for that, but I doubt Intrepid's gonna be the ones to do it :D

I actually was not thinking to that but to generate pleasure in a way or another. :smile: One would be more SF like in Matrix.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    StreviStrevi Member
    edited January 2023
    Gui10 wrote: »
    Things that keep me playing a game:

Variety, difficulty, progression, economic evolution, content patches, new play models (new pvp mode, new dungeon style, new housing concept, new crafting classes, etc.), and finally, the ability to feel relevant in the game compared to the time I play! (should be proportionnal and not exponential, leaving casuals in the dust and eliminating them eventually).

What doesnt keep me playing: new classes (instead, rework/evolve current classes or add declinations), MOAR LEVELS,

If new classes makes us play longer, I think they should release the game initially with only 6 of them and add the rest later.

Progression can be made longer by making leveling slower, like 2 years instead of 2 months.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    I will say engame gear should be an investment to get basic eng game gear should use specific resources from atleast the 2 main continents so a trade route in someway between the 2 major continents should of had to occurred to get the resources to craft them.
    Higher end gear should take boss kills + resources from muiltipul locations
    And honostly would like to see the return of the old Everquest epic weapon quests that takes months if not years to complete :P

gear needs some kind of decay rate that will eventually be trashed so there always a demand/market for the gear to maintain a market aswell, harder to obtan gear should last longer or be able to repair the durability via sacraficing completed crafted items into it of same tier (This is to maintain the demand for crafted equipment once everyone gets past it)
  • Options
    Ashes doesn't have an endgame.
    We can expect a variety of different types of max level gear - that we swap out for a variety of scenarios - like weather and Seasons.
  • Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited January 2023
    For myself it is the competition that will keep me playing, mainly in the form of combat. If the pvp is prevelant, fun enough, and has a competitive scene, then that would be enough to keep me playing. Other forms of competition would be a bonus as well, such as ranked pve, economic competition, artisan tournaments, racing, etc.- really any kind of gameplay Ashes has to offer but with a competitive scene behind it would be timeless fun to me.
  • Options
    Ace1234 wrote: »
    For myself it is the competition that will keep me playing, mainly in the form of combat.

Now we all know who not to mess with in-game