Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Current animations are too much

Hi,

is it just me, or are the current animations of spells and weapon attacks just too much?
I get that some magical spells need some effect, it has to be visible etc. but does some Ranger skill really need some green stream that is of the size of a character, or does a standard hammer attack really need some big cleave animation?

You could see it in the last live stream, that even with just four people it's super chaotic and everything is flashing and exploding. What should happen with eight people or even while 500vs500? I feel like it's very close to a jrpg, and I have to admit that visually this is just too much for me. I don't say remove it, but pleaaase decrease the size and flashyness alot!

Comments

• I literally just made a post stating the exact same thing.

Yes, they are way too much.

Way over the top.

And these were just low level characters.

Just imagine what a burning christmas tree juggling with electric chainsaws the higher levels characters will be.

They need to tune the animations and attacks down a lot to make this work with 8, yet alone 300 players on the same battle-field, at the same time.

The way it is now just looks blinding, overwhelming, visually exhausting and challenging and honestly, silly.
  • I agree, the animations should contain less light effects, I don't want to imagine a war like it would look like with 500 people casting this type of spell. Epilepsy in each player.
  • They already said that we'll be able to tone the vfx down. They've also stated before that they have exaggerated effects during testing, just to overburden the processing power, and it'll be toned down later in development. And iirc we've already seen examples of this before.
  • NiKr wrote: »
    They already said that we'll be able to tone the vfx down. They've also stated before that they have exaggerated effects during testing, just to overburden the processing power, and it'll be toned down later in development. And iirc we've already seen examples of this before.

But I feel like the standard should be on a much less flashy level. I don't want to customize everything until I have a non annoying experience 😅
  • Still feel the mace/hammer looks a bit to "light"
    There are no resistance when you hit the enemy at all and the hammer just goes from point A to point B. I would like of there to be more "crunch" in the hits.
    Also the animations should be smoother, its very jerky robotic where it starts at point A, accelerates to 200 miles an hour and the stops abruptly at end.

Dark Souls has good hammer/mace animations but still not "meaty" enough
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd5Ia4h26cU
    and For Honor (still not perfect either)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWO3pgkfWhU
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • Exactly what I said myself @Selo

Yes the attacks should look less cartoony, less asian-mmo-rpg and more realistic, more like Dark Souls or The Witcher.

Or at least World of Warcraft Classic.

Nobody wants to look goofy or silly or even over the top.

The best look in general is a natural, paced and smooth one.

• Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »
    They already said that we'll be able to tone the vfx down. They've also stated before that they have exaggerated effects during testing, just to overburden the processing power, and it'll be toned down later in development. And iirc we've already seen examples of this before.

Wow. I'm really pleased they exaggerated the effects for groups of 4 when we'll face groups of 500. Really makes the game feedback worthwhile at such a minimal strain. End of sarcasm.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the spectacle fighting.

I hope they keep the animations as they are. If people want a slider thats fine. But my smooth brain want big shiny sparkly magic explosions.

6se86ol0ouqr.gif
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah. I love the way toons get illuminated by the skills at night. I would take a darker night to increase the effects.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited January 2023
    yes pls, Less Michael Bay (explosion) and more Martin Scorsese
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • I think it's fine, albeit at the top end of flashiness. I wouldn't mind a slight decrease but I do like the over-the-top Korean style gameplay so I wouldn't want them to scale back to be too "realistic".
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2023
    Yeah it's way too much. I'd like not to be blinded every two seconds please. Like I wrote in the tank thread, we're not playing CSGO with flashbangs here. I find this from the tank video to be unacceptable levels of flash:
    Qm1jlfe.jpg

I can't see any of the characters in the combat, just a big annoying flash. It's not even pretty or anything, it's just BRIGHTNESS INTO YOUR EYEBALLS NOW!
  • mrBokmrBok Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    True too much. I hope we will have control over this in settings tho.
    f59ll57jllom.png
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Oh, actually, you know what we should ask for?

Since the answer to this is 'we have a system for toning this down'...

We could ask for a showcase of the Work in Progress of THAT alongside some other things, right?

A longish development video with a lot of combat could definitely dedicate some time to 'showing us how the slider affects it'. Even if the slider itself isn't implemented yet, they probably have commands to change it and could just tell us.

The worst feedback they would get is the 'That seems good but I would like a slider to control it!'

As opposed to this.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2023
    The visual effects are borderline embarassingly over the top. I understand it's work in progress, and there will be a visual effects slider to adjust it. But this is what's being shown right now, voluntarily by you. Even after the community has asked at least a couple times to tone it down, "we can't freakin see anything," instead it's like you're toning it up.

There wasn't even a magic class there. Imagine if a mage was there. It was 3 physical damage classes and a cleric. 4 players total, and at times you couldn't even see the mob they were fighting because there was so much vfx.

Edit: Oh just now seeing where Nikr said "They've also stated before that they have exaggerated effects during testing, just to overburden the processing power, and it'll be toned down later in development."

If that's the case then ok. But man, if it's as easy as a button press, maybe tone down the effects for showcases. If not, ok fine.
  • Selo wrote: »
    Still feel the mace/hammer looks a bit to "light"
    There are no resistance when you hit the enemy at all and the hammer just goes from point A to point B. I would like of there to be more "crunch" in the hits.
    Also the animations should be smoother, its very jerky robotic where it starts at point A, accelerates to 200 miles an hour and the stops abruptly at end.

These animations are way tooo slow for the style of game ashes is.
  • Okilian wrote: »
    Selo wrote: »
    Still feel the mace/hammer looks a bit to "light"

These animations are way tooo slow for the style of game ashes is.

Aoc is much too fast right now
  • Azherae wrote: »
    Oh, actually, you know what we should ask for?

Since the answer to this is 'we have a system for toning this down'...

We could ask for a showcase of the Work in Progress of THAT alongside some other things, right?

A longish development video with a lot of combat could definitely dedicate some time to 'showing us how the slider affects it'. Even if the slider itself isn't implemented yet, they probably have commands to change it and could just tell us.

The worst feedback they would get is the 'That seems good but I would like a slider to control it!'

As opposed to this.
    YES! @Vaknar relay this to the team. Even a 1-minute showcase of "this is the current vfx and this is it diminished by 90% through a "slider"" would be amazing!
  • Ironhope wrote: »
    Yes the attacks should look less cartoony, less asian-mmo-rpg and more realistic, more like Dark Souls or The Witcher.
    Except the biggest influences and inspirations for Steven are 2 korean mmos. Funny how that is, ain't it :)
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited January 2023
    My biggest issue is the flash effects that for an instant darken the entire screen and brighten the effect causing it. Idk what exactly is going on there but its quite disorienting.

I will also say that the fighter really, really shouldn't have that hammer move. It gives off too much of a paladin vibe.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu