Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Dev Discussion #48 - Training (PvP)

123457»

Comments

• Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think it's cool the devs have interns. I wasn't aware the team was at such a stage. I'm not against using mobs for protection and operations. Some of my best memories revolve around pvp and pve combined hence why I came to a similar game. I just feel people should compete in a competitive game.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Well it depends, if you know the mechanik than its usually just the person thats deal damage that is getting attacked. So to counterplay this you just stop all your AOE skills and just do single target skills to avoid to get trained. By having just some NPC you can counter this usually easyly.
    But if they protect a save zone and there is someone using them as an shield in pvp (as an aggressor) you could simply pull the whole post and kite them , while the rest of your party kills this player. But if you are not intrested in fighting you can use this to log out or teleport somewhere else and be save.
    Usually its just used for trolling or to annoy your anemy, but it sould backfire.
    So if the NPC get the last hit you are unlooteble for a very long time and loosing no money/EXP etc.
    Or first hit gets way more taunt than second so targets didn't change easyly.

So thats a common taktic thats depend on the situation, but usually i am fine with that.
    Well, personally I would attack the train runner and kill the train runner. Afterwards, I will try to burn off the corruption from the mobs in the train.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Neurath wrote: »
    Well, personally I would attack the train runner and kill the train runner. Afterwards, I will try to burn off the corruption from the mobs in the train.

and I would stun and use all my CC on the runner and then feast on his loot
    B)

But carebeary AoC will turn me red for that and prevent me from storing the goods, AoC is becomming a police State
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
    I'm rather hyped for the game. I don't see the game as a police state. I think it will be hilarious and awesome if an indie studio can out perform an aaa studio. Once a2 hits the corruption system will be tested. I think it can be difficult to keep going in circles around the same slim information.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Vaknar wrote: »
    Training_PvP.gif

Glorious Ashes community - it's time for another Dev Discussion! Dev Discussion topics are kind of like a "reverse Q&A" - rather than you asking us questions about Ashes of Creation, we want to ask YOU what your thoughts are.

Our design team has compiled a list of burning questions we'd love to get your feedback on regarding gameplay, your past MMO experiences, and more. Join in on the Dev Discussion and share what makes gaming special to you!

Dev Discussion - Training (PvP)
    Training is when players pull enemy NPCs onto other players in hopes that it will kill them. Some players see this as a valid and fun combat tactic to play around, and some do not. Would you like to see mechanics that support or discourage training in Ashes of Creation?

Keep an eye out for our next Dev Discussion

I like this mechanic because:

1- it allows you to kill bots without flagging.

2- it allows you to kill griefers who don't wanna flag without going red.

3- it potentially gives the rogue an extra tactic to use
    I would hope more than Rogue can train if training is allowed. Won't be a fan if it's for one class only.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited February 2023
    Generally there is nothing inherently wrong with a feature, its just about how it fits into the context of the rest of the game. As long as you tweak it to fit into the context of Ashes, in order to mitigate the negative aspects, training could end up being a fun option for players to have.

Normally training is perceived as griefing due to implementations and mechanics of training in other games, such as
    1. Inability to have a fighting chance based on level of progression
    2. inability to outplay mobs/survive due to lack of counterplay mechanics
    3. forcing a certain type of conent on others (pve instead of pvp)

As long as these issues are addressed then it shouldn't be a big deal. 1 and 2 pretty much just boil down to whether actions taken by certain players can be countered through other player actions. Basically ensuring there are player driven problems and player driven solutions. If that is the case then all players are participating in the game in a fair way so it isn't griefing, its just an additonal tactical option.
    I think if this approach is taken then "griefing" wouldn't really be associated with this training mechanic.

Number 3 just comes down to what type of content is expected within a certain portion of the game, and giving the player the choice to engage with their preferred content. The thing about Ashes is that there are parts of the open world that are clearly designed for PVX, so there is nothing wrong with allowing player's to utilize both of those content types to engage with each other within that part of the game. At the end of the day the open world is pretty much designed to be mainly PVE anyway, due to the corruption system. You don't need to "flag up" to engage with pve content, so players training mobs on you is literally just more PVE. The difference is that you also have the option to turn that into a PVX encounter through flagging up, but still have to deal with the PVE encounters, so I see nothing wrong with training mobs and avoiding corruption from that perspective.

If it were something like a "player duel" where players expect exclusively PvP content, that would be different and training should not be a part of that type of content, but in a PvX environment it is fair game. In other words, give the players the choice to engage with the type of content they want, and if that content is designed to be PVX then let players leverage those types of content in that part of the game.

- You do have to be careful with this because you don't want to create "training only" meta, where its pretty much impossible to ever really have PVX due to how OP training mobs is. I think that it should be situational and risky, so that is doesn't happen all the time, and when it does happen it should be skillful and counterable, which would make it less frustrating when it does happen.

-on top of all that, in situations where pvp is encouraged (such as sieges) it might be interesting to explore flipping the corruption mechnic around through allowing players to train mobs even within that setting, but at a cost, such as getting corruption. This could be done through giving players the concious choice to "break leashes" or something to that effect, in order to allow mobs into a pvp event that they normally wouldn't be able to get involved with, but in choosing to do so the player goes corrupted.

Overall I think the mechanic can leads to epic moments/emergent gameplay and should be encouraged under certain conditions, but it should be designed and tuned well to fit into the game.

I think it would be especially fun when paired npc persuasion and stealth mechanics and strategies, through being able to affect systems to enhance emergent gameplay possibilities (such as convincing npc groups to join a pvp battle/or sneaking and spooking npcs into attacking other players during key moments). It would be so sick to be able to have a strategic option for defending your node that allows you to corral a bunch of enemies into a small area to act as a trap that you could potentially bait other players into, or that can be unleashed during a large battle to create chaos amongst the enemy army.
  • If Ashes' pvp is as bad as Lol's or Wow's...

For good pvp you already need a balanced game.

Example: if a warrior sprite is super op because he kills you in 3 hits thanks to his passive, everyone will play that.

Also if you don't play sprite, you won't be taken in a group.

I know the mentality of mmorpg players.

they never play the race/class they like.

only the one which is op and which allows to rank very high.

It's going to be a job at Ashes if you want to get out of this spiral of the race for the best class
    edited March 2023
    There won't be racial skills mate.

PvP Request: Corrupted can become cannibals. I've heard the game referenced as a Geek Game, thus, it would be good to surprise such people.

Cannibalism should increase corruption duration but decrease experience debt and stat dampening.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    I would hope more than Rogue can train if training is allowed. Won't be a fan if it's for one class only.

My guess is there will be invisibility potions, somehow obtainable. Therfore, anyone will be able to if that is so, just at a cost, while rogue would be free with skills.
    Hmm. I can see the allure. Not sure I want stealth potions to be such homogenisation but either way I guess everyone able to do it is homogenisation.

I'm not sure how the mobs would be transfered to a target anyway yet.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif

Normally you would just pull them all in range of the other person, then when you invis, they deaggro from you and go on the closest player. Usually that will lead to them getting overwhelmed fast/instantly and dieing.
    You can do this with leashing monsters(pulling them until end range and they walk back) too if they don't have code to walk back to spawn/last previously undisturbed spot when leash breaks.
    Yeah, I understand the usual methods but last time I saw the devs reset the mobs, the mobs were invulnerable and simply strolled back. I realise the mobs aren't finished yet so I was just stating 'anyway yet'.

I mean, choice and options are never a bad aspect. I can get with the times and I can train like the best. I just hoped there would be more corrupted players to bounty hunt, not less. Then again, across the months there should be plenty to hunt.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    Hmm. I can see the allure. Not sure I want stealth potions to be such homogenisation but either way I guess everyone able to do it is homogenisation.

well, if you are fighting a monster, and someone walks near aggressive monsters then run towards you, those monsters will attack you since you are attacking one of their own (if they have assist mechanics).

also, the person pulling the mobs might have a skill that makes monsters stop targeting him, then they will switch to you if he uses it next to you.

also, they could run to you and then relog next to you, dropping the mobs on you :D

in any case, there are many things you can do to prevent yourself from dying from a mob drop in a game with open world PVP, so I see no reason why this shouldn't be implemented :D. i guess people will learn eventually hehehe ;3

I personally like being mob dropped. its free exp and loot
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Louka wrote: »
    If Ashes' pvp is as bad as Lol's or Wow's...

For good pvp you already need a balanced game.

Example: if a warrior sprite is super op because he kills you in 3 hits thanks to his passive, everyone will play that.

Also if you don't play sprite, you won't be taken in a group.

I know the mentality of mmorpg players.

they never play the race/class they like.

only the one which is op and which allows to rank very high.

It's going to be a job at Ashes if you want to get out of this spiral of the race for the best class

Time to Kill is minimum 30 seconds. So the thought of 1-5 hit combo isnt gonna happen. this post is irrelevant
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Arya_Yeshe wrote: »

and I would stun and use all my CC on the runner and then feast on his loot
    B)

But carebeary AoC will turn me red for that and prevent me from storing the goods, AoC is becomming a police State

Unless I missed something, you won't be able to CC the runner, like you said in your comment, unless the runner is purple or red. The runner must be a combatant player.

Green players are not affected by such skill effects.

"CC effects do not apply to Non-combatant (green) players. The target of a CC ability must be flagged in order to suffer the CC effects. This prevents players from opening attacks that stun non-combatant players during a pull for example.[9]"

Source:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Crowd_control
    lOdSqVw.png
    Are you looking for an amazing community with lovely people? Join the Aurora Discord now and chat with us!
    We are recruiting!