Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How about damaging gear in the inventory too upon death?

Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
edited April 2023 in General Discussion
If a player dies, the gear he is wearing will suffer damage. However, what if the gear in their inventory also suffered damage? Would this be too excessive or an appropriate feature to include?

Since there will be no loot drops of finished items from your bag, this could allow people using naked mule characters with nothing but gear in their inventory. The naked mule alt is a thing, this already exists in another game and I am certain it will exist in AoC.

Consider all possible scenarios, PvE and owPvP.

PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    How about no. We will need different sets of armour for different encounters and unless you get enough resources from one kill to fix several sets of armour then it is a hard no.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    FlowGotThe wrote: »
    I consider it as an appropriate feature (personal opinion).

I don't understand what's the problem with mule ? If somebody is going to do a middle or long gathering session, I think he will be forced to put gathered items in mule's inventory, since caracter's bag are going to be small.

The gathereables drop upon death, but finished items in the bag will never drop in any circustance, not even if you are corrupted. They could at least suffer damage tough, in my opinion

So your naked mule alt is a Fort Knox of hauling finished items, he will never drop anything and because he is naked you will never have to repair any damaged gear
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Neurath wrote: »
    How about no. We will need different sets of armour for different encounters and unless you get enough resources from one kill to fix several sets of armour then it is a hard no.

What? You are saying that there is a marginal subculture of people who run around with multiple high tier armor sets in their bags without any concerns for any kind of risk? Also for min-maxing pve farming against others, making sure that the richest hoarder who has more armor sets will always win?

I guess such feature may end up jackpoting a hit on naked mules plus a hit on min-maxers :#
    It will also be tiny material and gold sink against the overly protected player inventory

It's good for the economy :#
  • Options
    I'm not stating anything of the sort until I see actual raids. It's still a no because of the same issues around loot and repair. Sometimes I feel you just want to fuck the game up with your suggestions.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    MrPocketsMrPockets Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm not stating anything of the sort until I see actual raids. It's still a no because of the same issues around loot and repair. Sometimes I feel you just want to fuck the game up with your suggestions.

I believe most suggestions of this manner are 100% in good faith. MMO economies needs various money/item sinks to function in a healthy way.

As stated many times from Steven himself, the game is heavily designed around risk vs reward. Assuming having access to multiple gear sets leads to the greatest reward (being able to handle ALL situations a raid throws at you)...in the spirit of risk vs reward, doesn't it seem reasonable that there should be a risk tied to that?

Regardless of this specific suggestion, these types of risk/reward mechanics are at the core design philosophy of the game, so I'm not sure why you'd think someone suggesting similar mechanics is trying to "fuck up the game".

• Options
    if i know i will die i could unequip my gear and save some money, i would feel i am cheating
  • Options
    if i know i will die i could unequip my gear and save some money, i would feel i am cheating

That's very cheeky of you, mister!

In EVE, we unplug our brain implants if you know we are going to die, so the death report won't make us look bad in front of the entire community! :#
  • Options
    1st of all, you can't equip or unequip in combat. 2nd of all the inventory couldn't fit a whole second set of armour in reality, you also wouldn't wear your back pack in a fight unless ambushed and as such I believe the inventory is not realistic and therefore does not need a realistic degradation on anything inside. Magic sums up the notion nicely.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    1st of all, you can't equip or unequip in combat. 2nd of all the inventory couldn't fit a whole second set of armour in reality, you also wouldn't wear your back pack in a fight unless ambushed and as such I believe the inventory is not realistic and therefore does not need a realistic degradation on anything inside. Magic sums up the notion nicely.

that still won't stop me for every scenario, there's still mobs and if i have to pass by a bunch of fighty people i can unequip, if i die for any reason i will even get a free teleport to the next spawn, its a win win. If i see myself in trouble i can do that and people will ignore a naked green

now I thought of this, after killing a boss, I could just unequip and fall to my death somewhere and respawn, most likely i will be max level anyway so who cares about xp loss
  • Options
    before i go I''ll just say it is apropriate
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    This is one of those threads, Arya :)
  • Options
    So, we must all suffer multiplied resources and repair costs because some people want to walk around naked and obtain the highest amount of experience debt possible?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    NiKr wrote: »
    This is one of those threads, Arya :)

Oh, do you think this is? This is for everybody and not my intetion, it's just a valid honest discussion about risk-reward
    People gotta think about stuff like this, otherwise there will be many exotic broken circunvents since the inventory has a layer of invulnerability to risks!

If people don't want loot drops, fine... but not even considering damage?
    Damage is a good middle ground, it will be hilarious looting stuff for maybe hours, but dying multiple times, then going back to the node and everything is totally damaged LOL

I have been doing some fractals recently in GW2, when people are running low tier Fractal they ignore all the danger, all the damage, they don't even heal... they just spam attack combos and die many times. Since I am playing as medic, I gotta keep reviving people over and over since they don't care about risk.... BECAUSE gw2 has no risks at all

Guild Wars 2 is a "everybody wins game" and that sucks
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Damage is a good middle ground, it will be hilarious looting stuff for maybe hours, but dying multiple times, then going back to the node and everything is totally damaged LOL
    The only thing that this would lead to is people running with just one set, which might already be the case. I'd prefer a bit higher dmg on what you're wearing rather than dmg on everything you have.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    NiKr wrote: »
    The only thing that this would lead to is people running with just one set, which might already be the case. I'd prefer a bit higher dmg on what you're wearing rather than dmg on everything you have.

I was going to suggest the same thing!

The damage against the gear in the inventory could be halved, it doesn't need full damage in the inventory
    It's not over punishing and keeps things interesting
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I used to play a ton of Tarkov, which (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) had this feature! It certainly fits in Tarkov, as that game is a hardcore, full-loot PvP shooter 🔫😱
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    But the idea is exactly keeping the gear, but a bit damaged

In Tarkov if people shoot right at the gear, that gear will be damaged, armor etc
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Vaknar wrote: »
    I used to play a ton of Tarkov, which (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) had this feature! It certainly fits in Tarkov, as that game is a hardcore, full-loot PvP shooter 🔫😱

Yeah, and look at the state of that game now.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Noaani wrote: »

tarkov is a 3D shooter, its a pew pew game, not a MMO! what is kiling tarkov is the cheating, there are too many people using hacks, other than that people love the game
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

What? You are saying that there is a marginal subculture of people who run around with multiple high tier armor sets in their bags without any concerns for any kind of risk? Also for min-maxing pve farming against others, making sure that the richest hoarder who has more armor sets will always win?

I guess such feature may end up jackpoting a hit on naked mules plus a hit on min-maxers :#
    It will also be tiny material and gold sink against the overly protected player inventory

It's good for the economy :#

This is actually a goal of Stevens.

We're all going to many gear set ups.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Noaani wrote: »

tarkov is a 3D shooter, its a pew pew game, not a MMO! what is kiling tarkov is the cheating, there are too many people using hacks, other than that people love the game

Yes, I know.

There is a direct correlation to the death penalty of that game and the level and sophistication of cheating.

This is the point I was making.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would like to see it depend on how the person died and what the armor was. If they were set on fire and a ton of cloth items, then it makes sense for them to be damaged. If they are carrying a lot of metal worked items, not so much. Perhaps if they died by drowning then metal worked items would need repair and cloth would not. I am sure there are plenty more examples.
  • Options
    I second this suggestion. Ashes is already looking like it'll be too safe to have a reliable economy. Anything that pushes loot out of circulation will always be good.
  • Options
    but i love when people start stripping in combat to stop there gear decaying *sarcasm btw*
  • Options

there was one game i played where you kept inventory but dropped your equiped gear and people would just strip when they think there gonna die was kinda fked i forgot the game though it was years ago was changed after awhile though where you couldn unequip thing while in combat
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »

there was one game i played where you kept inventory but dropped your equiped gear and people would just strip when they think there gonna die was kinda fked i forgot the game though it was years ago was changed after awhile though where you couldn unequip thing while in combat

Let me sneak in this talk lol, Idk which game you are refering to, but I think when I played multiplayer Diablo 2 this was the case. Because you can swap weapons, then this offers a layer of safety to your best gear.

There was a game that this was the case, I'm not sure if it was Diablo 2, maybe it was
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    but i love when people start stripping in combat to stop there gear decaying *sarcasm btw*

In EVE some people even jettison (eject to space) their cargo just not to be shamed on the kill report, since in EVE all kill reports are kept forever and you can transmit the kill reports to everybody else! The kill can even be shared online on a site called zkillboard

People also unplug their implants, sometimes the guy is in a ship work 1 milion ISK but his implants are worth 2 bilion ISK... so if the guy is fast and he knows he will die he destroy his own brain implants asap before death. This is how people wash kill reports before dying
  • Options
    Here's a proposal:
    • green eqquiped gear: standard damage
    • green inventory gear: half damage
    • purple eqquiped gear: half damage
    • purple inventory gear: 1/4th damage
  • Options
    MrPockets wrote: »

I believe most suggestions of this manner are 100% in good faith. MMO economies needs various money/item sinks to function in a healthy way.

As stated many times from Steven himself, the game is heavily designed around risk vs reward. Assuming having access to multiple gear sets leads to the greatest reward (being able to handle ALL situations a raid throws at you)...in the spirit of risk vs reward, doesn't it seem reasonable that there should be a risk tied to that?

Regardless of this specific suggestion, these types of risk/reward mechanics are at the core design philosophy of the game, so I'm not sure why you'd think someone suggesting similar mechanics is trying to "fuck up the game".

Repairing gear isn't about going to a shop and clicking repair, it needs mats and if it is rare gear you need more expensive mats. I agree with him that she gives some really bad ideas that would ruin the game, or doesn't understand all the concepts of the game.

New world had this and it was terrible. AoC having this would be even worse. If you have multiple ger sets in your bad that is completely fine, you worked for it and invested in it. And upon using it you will naturally get it damaged.

Unsure if you have been keeping up with this persons post but everything revolves around making the game experience as terrible as possible for people. Like survival element level minus the fun. Granted IS knows what they are doing and will shift through the good and bad feedback.
  • Options
    You wouldnt waste our time with crap if you understood the vision. The whole idea to venture far and wide whilst cycling armour sets dependant on challenge seems foreign to you. Why you believe there needs to be a stealth tax is beyond me. Much of what you suggest elsewhere revolves around stealth taxes too.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif