Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Please add arachnophobia mode in settings

xiedd13ixxiedd13ix Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I know alot of people who will straight up not play a game because of arachnids. Its only recently games have started adding arachnophobia modes in the graphics options. Please add this for game release so everyone can play

Comments

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2023
    How did the other games handle it? Just wondering, because some of the monsters are big-ass spiders. You can't just turn those off with a setting. I would think it will require replacing them entirely in the game, so we don't have spider monsters at all. I can see a setting work with the small ambient spiders of course, if any such are planned. To be fair, they would have to do the same with snakes and bees/wasps and a ton of other creepy crawlies.
  • Options
    Giant Spiders are scary thats right but adding a mode for arachnophobia ? I dont know.. if you start something like that the Game has to add different modes for all kind of phobias. some people have Ophidiophobia (Snakes) and so on..
    Do you want to get modes for everything ?
    uwu
  • Options
    Literally just a graphical setting nothing more. Optional
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    How did the other games handle it? Just wondering, because some of the monsters are big-ass spiders. You can't just turn those off with a setting. I would think it will require replacing them entirely in the game, so we don't have spider monsters at all. I can see a setting work with the small ambient spiders of course, if any such are planned. To be fair, they would have to do the same with snakes and bees/wasps and a ton of other creepy crawlies.

Other games I've seen have added graphic options for different levels like removing spiders legs. Hair etc even up to making them reskinned as like a slime ball
  • Options
    Changes no actual gameplay just the look for the people who choose the option
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Do you know how many phobias are there out there?
  • Options
    Do you know how many phobias are there out there?

Yes but a few games adding adding a few most common phobias into graphics setting. Hogwarts legacy has a arachnophobia now. Grounded also does and a few more
  • Options
    Also I'm not saying just arachnophobia you can have a few most common ones. More accessible for people who want to play. I myself dont have any phobias but know alot of people who miss out
  • Options
    SolmyrSolmyr Member
    I used to be afraid of spiders, but I've played so many games with them present that I eventually got desensitized to their presence. It might be different for other people, but I feel like engaging in safe and controlled exposure was much healthier in the long run than constantly indulging an irrational fear.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    xiedd13ix wrote: »
    Also I'm not saying just arachnophobia you can have a few most common ones. More accessible for people who want to play. I myself dont have any phobias but know alot of people who miss out

I think you'll find that a lot of the "backlash" you're getting from people here is due to people being over the notion of "I have a thing that makes me different, now YOU must change in order to fit me in".

The bulk of the posters here (and arguably the bulk of the target audience for this game) are more of a "If you have an issue, that sounds like a you problem, not a me problem".Rather than asking for changes so our own personal shortcomings don't come up, we prefer instead to deal with those shortcomings.

Generally speaking.
  • Options
    KorelaKorela Member
    Good point. There are plenty of customization provided by addons in other games. I have done changes in other game' clients by myself, because of absence of ingame settings' diversity (for example, I can't play when my screen is constanlty covered by over-sparkly things). But Interpid is restricting addons usage. It implies that Interpid should include every potential addon into the game settings and keep doing it forever. Otherwise game wouldn't be appeling, comfortable or even playable for some players. I am looking forward to quick and continuous feedback loop on this topic after the launch of the game :)
  • Options
    Solmyr wrote: »
    I used to be afraid of spiders, but I've played so many games with them present that I eventually got desensitized to their presence. It might be different for other people, but I feel like engaging in safe and controlled exposure was much healthier in the long run than constantly indulging an irrational fear.

I think for some phobias its just to bad. I think a simple graphic change setting would be good. Its why I'm suggesting it wont change any gameplay at all or for anyone else would just change the model of the creature for example. Remove spider hair. Remove the legs or maybe a full remodel into like a slime/blob
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

I think you'll find that a lot of the "backlash" you're getting from people here is due to people being over the notion of "I have a thing that makes me different, now YOU must change in order to fit me in".

The bulk of the posters here (and arguably the bulk of the target audience for this game) are more of a "If you have an issue, that sounds like a you problem, not a me problem".Rather than asking for changes so our own personal shortcomings don't come up, we prefer instead to deal with those shortcomings.

Generally speaking.

I know but i think its a valid suggestion because no addon support and intrepid as what i can tell are fully supportive on fleshing out the ui settings so graphical settings for phobias should be doable and right now in development is when it should be thought about instead of a post launch update
  • Options
    @xiedd13ix I have extreme arachnophobia and im playing the game o.o
  • Options
    I very much sympathize with your concern. I also have almost phobia-like fears that very much limits the type of games I can play.

I have always had a huge fear of open waters. I avoid it best I can, and I usually avoid games where it is a major thing. I remember when I was much younger, playing vanilla WoW. There was a common bug that caused the air route across Kalmindor and Eastern Kingdoms to disappear after the loading screen. First time I got dropped into the ocean as I was headed towards the Undercity, I hit alt-f4 and deleted the character while I had a panic attack, and refused to use anything but mage portals for almost a year.
    Since then, I've worked hard on overcoming this in games and now I am able to do stuff that requires interaction with open waters.... But I avoid it if I can. (Yup, naval combat is going to be a pain for me :'] )
    On top of that, as I just recently gave birth to my son, just the *mentioning* of children, especially babies, in harms way can trigger extreme anxiety and unreasonable hormon responses that can leave me in panic attacks.

Anyways, the point is, the issue that this type of phobia mode has is that it opens a can of worms that will lead to further heated discussions. When is a phobia common enough to be included? Is it fair to include the "majority of the minority" by green carding certain phobias, while still ignoring others? What other type of player restrictions do we need to carter to? Perhaps certain triggering subjects such as genocide, abusive relationships, racism, drugs, miscarriage, SIDs or suicide? Physical limitations?

Obviously, if we remove all potential triggers, we'll have a rather boring game - but at the same time; I would never feel comfortable trying to be the judge of which phobia, trigger or handicap is "worthy" of being addressed and which ones to ignore.

Hence, in my opinion, the most healthy (and most fair) approach is to let the DEVs and designers do their thing, and let each individual take responsibility of their own well-being.

I know that at the very least that I will, and that I am more comfortable doing so rather than asking the game to take up time and resources that could have been used for something else.
    lizhctbms6kg.png
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    Remake Lord of the Rings with arachnophobia mode please
  • Options
    I very much sympathize with your concern. I also have almost phobia-like fears that very much limits the type of games I can play.

I have always had a huge fear of open waters. I avoid it best I can, and I usually avoid games where it is a major thing. I remember when I was much younger, playing vanilla WoW. There was a common bug that caused the air route across Kalmindor and Eastern Kingdoms to disappear after the loading screen. First time I got dropped into the ocean as I was headed towards the Undercity, I hit alt-f4 and deleted the character while I had a panic attack, and refused to use anything but mage portals for almost a year.
    Since then, I've worked hard on overcoming this in games and now I am able to do stuff that requires interaction with open waters.... But I avoid it if I can. (Yup, naval combat is going to be a pain for me :'] )
    On top of that, as I just recently gave birth to my son, just the *mentioning* of children, especially babies, in harms way can trigger extreme anxiety and unreasonable hormon responses that can leave me in panic attacks.

Anyways, the point is, the issue that this type of phobia mode has is that it opens a can of worms that will lead to further heated discussions. When is a phobia common enough to be included? Is it fair to include the "majority of the minority" by green carding certain phobias, while still ignoring others? What other type of player restrictions do we need to carter to? Perhaps certain triggering subjects such as genocide, abusive relationships, racism, drugs, miscarriage, SIDs or suicide? Physical limitations?

Obviously, if we remove all potential triggers, we'll have a rather boring game - but at the same time; I would never feel comfortable trying to be the judge of which phobia, trigger or handicap is "worthy" of being addressed and which ones to ignore.

Hence, in my opinion, the most healthy (and most fair) approach is to let the DEVs and designers do their thing, and let each individual take responsibility of their own well-being.

I know that at the very least that I will, and that I am more comfortable doing so rather than asking the game to take up time and resources that could have been used for something else.

I do agree but this is a game without addons so I'm hoping they will include most of the features themselves in the base game. Hence the suggestion. It doesnt bother me just speaking for others. When it comes to phobias for just removing/replacing models it doesnt take long alot of games just drop in a basic model with no animations and its good enough. Its up to the players themselves if they want to take themselves out of the immersion over a phobia. But i do think they should include a feature like that because other companies are starting to do the same if not all of them
  • Options
    What about people with tropophobia? Or fear of water? Or large spaces?
  • Options
    BlackBrony wrote: »

If you read i just said i understand they can't do all phobias but just because they cant do all doesnt mean they shouldn't do some
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    No. I find this absolutely ridiculous and I said the same thing when Hogwarts Legacy added that in settings. Arachnophobia is not a disability. It is a TREATABLE anxiety disorder, and i'd suggest to seek professional help to deal with that. Just stop with the nonsense.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    No. I find this absolutely ridiculous and I said the same thing when Hogwarts Legacy added that in settings. Arachnophobia is not a disability. It is a TREATABLE anxiety disorder, and i'd suggest to seek professional help to deal with that. Just stop with the nonsense.

you seem like a nice person to have at parties.
  • Options

He seems to me to be someone that encourages people to better themselves rather than to demand others make up for their failings.

I'd rather be at a party with some like this than someone that insists others compensate for their own shortcomings.
  • Options

Nice or not, not every game should have settings copy/pasted from Hogwarts Legacy.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2023
    I would highly doubt considering there's an entire mob based off of Stevens anatidaephobia.
  • Options
    I'm generally an accommodating type but this level of bubble-wrapping is utterly absurd.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2023
    The best therapy is exposure.
    Sometimes the best way out is through.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Literally just a graphical setting nothing more. Optional

Wouldn't there have to be a different model, different materials, different skills, different vitals and different animations? How did Hogwarts handle it?
  • Options
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    I'm generally an accommodating type but this level of bubble-wrapping is utterly absurd.

This is probably a more polite way of making the point I made earlier.

Being accommodating is all good. Wrapping people up in a protective cocoon is bad.
  • Options
    We cant save overyone. So there are two options.

Get over it
    or
    gtfo
  • Options
    BlackBrony wrote: »

If you read i just said i understand they can't do all phobias but just because they cant do all doesnt mean they shouldn't do some

Pouring resources into something to useless, it's a waste. I would rather they improve systems than making 1% of the player base happy because they can't see spiders. Just don't go there.