Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Please add arachnophobia mode in settings

Comments

• Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    no, this is scope creep imagine creating all the different assets, animations, and what about other phobias?
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    xiedd13ixxiedd13ix Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Fantmx wrote: »
    xiedd13ix wrote: »
    Literally just a graphical setting nothing more. Optional

Wouldn't there have to be a different model, different materials, different skills, different vitals and different animations? How did Hogwarts handle it?

No just look at the game grounded
  • Options
    GarrtokGarrtok Member
    edited June 2023
    I have arachnophobia and these clunky 3d spiders have really zerrooooo todo with real spiders. Don't be a snowflake

Iam scared of deep water, please do a naval-no-water mode 🙄
  • Options
    ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Its 2023 as if anyone is scared of spiders, grow up 😄
  • Options
    ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    What about people with tropophobia? Or fear of water? Or large spaces?

Should probably remove naval content too
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    Solmyr wrote: »
    I used to be afraid of spiders, but I've played so many games with them present that I eventually got desensitized to their presence. It might be different for other people, but I feel like engaging in safe and controlled exposure was much healthier in the long run than constantly indulging an irrational fear.

I think for some phobias its just to bad. I think a simple graphic change setting would be good. Its why I'm suggesting it wont change any gameplay at all or for anyone else would just change the model of the creature for example. Remove spider hair. Remove the legs or maybe a full remodel into like a slime/blob

You wouldn't be able to see the behavior of the mob accurately as Ashes requires players to SEE a lot of the moves an enemy makes, so just replacing the model with a slime is absolutely not what would suffice. It would add a ton of work to design a new mob type that is similar enough to show the behavior a player needs to see to react or this "phobia mode" would make players worse at playing as it limits the information they'd receive. And while I get that facing a phobia is a long and stressful process, you have to be aware that hyper complex games like Ashes aims to be for more than one reason cannot make adjustments for these kinds of sensibilities.

Steven has been prominently and multiple times on record stating that Ashes won't be for everyone and I am afraid that people with unaddressed phobias are another group on that list.

But maybe this can serve as a motivation to overcome the phobia through therapy or a way to treat yourself through exposure to get this under control.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    no slimes pls, i have blennophobia >:
  • Options
    Needless.

There's already enough on the existing development roadmap without having to code every spider-based enemy to appear differently to individual players because they feel like spiders are icky.

Maybe just stay out of the Underrealm and caves?

• Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2023
    According to the studies, about 3-15% people have arachnophobia. It is the most common phobia, followed by these others.

Ophidiophobia is second with 3% suffers of actual phobia and over 50% increased anxiety upon exposure.

Around 6% have acrophobia in some form or another.

As many as 9% suffer from cynophobia.

So if we have a setting to turn off or block spiders, there's the strong case to be able to toggle off your screen any and all instances of snakes, high places and dogs.

It would be only fair, as a person with fear of dogs, apparently 1 in 10 people nearly, would be unable to play Ashes of Creation given the number of canine cosmetics and pets.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Huh…interesting. No, but interesting.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Wouldn't mind it, but only as an April-1st-only feature :D

At this point this seems like a diversion of effort & resource that could be better spent elsewhere (e.g. getting Ashes shipped properly in the first place), and this also brings up the where-do-you-draw-the-line problem that could potentially divert even more effort & resource to properly address ......
  • Options
    This is a request Intrepid put in more spiders.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I had not heard of this setting until recently!

We're always looking at what makes sense and what is possible regarding accessibility settings! Accessibility options are important to us :) While we may not currently have plans to add this setting, we're always excited to see accessibility requests for the game, so we appreciate threads such as this :)

We'll also be doing a Dev Discussion on the topic sometime in the future ^_^
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vaknar wrote: »

We're always looking at what makes sense and what is possible regarding accessibility settings! Accessibility options are important to us :) While we may not currently have plans to add this setting, we're always excited to see accessibility requests for the game, so we appreciate threads such as this :)

Good, then while you are at it, add every other phobia, add a toggle for mouthbreathers, and make sure to add one for the poors who don't want to see others cosmetics and have been trying to get various options turned off in game for years now. I think we should start with pandas first. We know Steven has had some trouble with them in the past and to this day. If we are just giving out stuff and not just placating the masses that is.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    I have a phobia of corgis and giant stuffed teddybears. Please remove That Fricking Corgi and Stuffertons from the game.

kthxbai
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    25drktbt6tay.gif
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    VoidwalkersVoidwalkers Member
    edited June 2023

I'd argue accessibility and whateverphobia-mode are two different things though.

If I ever become hearing-impaired, I'd appreciate some form of audio visualizer that let me notice that cyclops in the woods, so I don't aggro him by accident, die miserably, and drop a bunch of mats I've just spent so much time gathering;
    If I ever lost an arm or something I'd be grateful if Ashes has accessibility aid that lets me control my character to a reasonable degree with one hand.

But phobias...

It comes down to whether ppl should see phobias as an unfortunate incurable sympathizable disability (i.e. merits special treatment), or just a curable state-of-mind that can be overcome with willpower at its minimum, or professional help in the most severe cases. (i.e. does NOT merit special treatment since the person in question should be able to, and therefore is also RESPONSIBLE OF dealing with it by themselves, with or without help)

And this also starts the where-do-you-draw-the-line debate. If there's an arachnophobia mode, then what about other phobias?
    What about trypophobia? That's surely common enough, should there be a trypophobia mode that prevents anything in game from forming clusters of holes / tiny objects? (Although any sane designers would avoid unnecesary use of such designs anyway ...)
    What about phasmophobia? Surely there're plenty of folks who're scared of ghosts? Should there also be a phasmophobia mode that removes all the undeads, or at least make them look cute?
    What about severe socialphobia? Should there be a socialphobia mode that lets a player solo all group contents, master all professions (gather & process & craft), enjoy an mmorpg without ever having to interact with others?

Ok the last case was slippery slope but ... that's also the point. Where to draw the merits-special-treatment line?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

I'd argue accessibility and whateverphobia-mode are two different things though.

If I ever become hearing-impaired, I'd appreciate some form of audio visualizer that let me notice that cyclops in the woods, so I don't aggro him by accident, die miserably, and drop a bunch of mats I've just spent so much time gathering;
    If I ever lost an arm or something I'd be grateful if Ashes has accessibility aid that lets me control my character to a reasonable degree with one hand.

But phobias...

It comes down to whether ppl should see phobias as an unfortunate incurable sympathizable disability (i.e. merits special treatment), or just a curable state-of-mind that can be overcome with willpower at its minimum, or professional help in the most severe cases. (i.e. does NOT merit special treatment since the person in question should be able to, and therefore is also RESPONSIBLE OF dealing with it by themselves, with or without help)

And this also starts the where-do-you-draw-the-line debate. If there's an arachnophobia mode, then what about other phobias?
    What about trypophobia? That's surely common enough, should there be a trypophobia mode that prevents anything in game from forming clusters of holes / tiny objects? (Although any sane designers would avoid unnecesary use of such designs anyway ...)
    What about phasmophobia? Surely there're plenty of folks who're scared of ghosts? Should there also be a phasmophobia mode that removes all the undeads, or at least make them look cute?
    What about severe socialphobia? Should there be a socialphobia mode that lets a player solo all group contents, master all professions (gather & process & craft), enjoy an mmorpg without ever having to interact with others?

Ok the last case was slippery slope but ... that's also the point. Where to draw the merits-special-treatment line?

As a well written, somewhat succinct explanation of what it would seem most of us here feel, this gets what is only my second or third ever "like" on these forums.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    As a well written, somewhat succinct explanation of what it would seem most of us here feel, this gets what is only my second or third ever "like" on these forums.

Pretty sure the others were on my posts somewhere. Yep, I definitely remember both of them. You're welcome. :)
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options

I have scopecreepphobia
    img]
  • Options
    I also hope they add equinophobia mode in settings: I'm extremely scared of horses in real life, therefore I won't be able to play a computer game if there are horses running around on my screen.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    IMO the real issue would start if Intrepid attempted to provide a setting for people with either agrostophobia or dendrophobia.
  • Options
    I have Achondroplasiaphobia. I want Intrepid to see the problems I will have in this game... seriously there are even different kind of dwarves in this game. I just want the game to be made for ME. please remove all short people in game.

/s

cater do phobias? GTFO just play another game, why change this into something else. Get real.
  • Options
    xiedd13ixxiedd13ix Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Fantmx wrote: »
    Literally just a graphical setting nothing more. Optional

Wouldn't there have to be a different model, different materials, different skills, different vitals and different animations? How did Hogwarts handle it?

No just look at the game grounded

Thanks for hearing me out only genuine response on the topic I've seen
  • Options
    Thanks for hearing me out only genuine response on the topic I've seen

that's because you are asking for a game that already has an extremely large scope, that was initially supposed to release before 2020 and it's 3 years late to start adding extra settings for a minority of people, and those settings take even more development time and money to make

img]
  • Options
    AustrinautAustrinaut Member
    edited June 2023
    Please do it, I literally have to look away while fighting spiders in almost every game, really ruins a lot of areas for me. I'll leave dungeons in Skyrim if there are spiders.

I don't get why there are so many people saying "no dont make the game better for people that aren't me!". This is a simple problem to fix, doesn't affect you, so why are you guys acting like doing this is gonna ruin your life?
  • Options
    Austrinaut wrote: »
    Please do it, I literally have to look away while fighting spiders in almost every game, really ruins a lot of areas for me. I'll leave dungeons in Skyrim if there are spiders.

I don't get why there are so many people saying "no dont make the game better for people that aren't me!". This is a simple problem to fix, doesn't affect you, so why are you guys acting like doing this is gonna ruin your life?

You are acting like digital spiders are going to ruin your life.
  • Options
    Because not every snowflake can have their own Graphic Setting.
    Yes that was really rude to say but there are MANY phobias why do you think your Arachnophobia has more importance than others ?

As i said if i really had Ophidiophobie (Fear of Snakes). They will HAVE TO make a Graphic Settings for every single Phobia out there.
    uwu
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I, for one, have a Mobophobia. I fear any and all kinds of digital mobs. So I'd really prefer if all mobs were just amorphous blobs that have no distinct animations or attack patterns or cool visuals on their attacks. I'm sure it'd be super easy for Intrepid to just have big greyscale round balls flying around instead of all that tedious dev time spent on 3d modeling and animations and designs and whatever else.

If anything, my phobia would make the game come out way faster! B)
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ah this community is always so fun...

I'll support this because of the changed times and choices made by AoC as a generality.

Other games offered pathways. Whether it be 'play on PC and get the visuals of the mob modded yourself', 'change the way you interact with the mobs specifically', or whatever.

Since AoC doesn't intend to allow any addons and will probably use various methods to ensure that the game client's visuals are not easily modified, and is a game with a 'general mob population density' approaching 'sane' for most things and therefore would make it difficult to impossible to avoid spider mobs like in other games that design with certain player types in mind, they will have closed all the doors and I therefore consider it reasonable to request reopening of said doors with regards to the specific mobs that will have meaningful density.

Seriously, you guys are the worst...
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.