Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Freehold system makes me more hopeful for Ashes of Creation.

Honestly, hearing about this Freehold system has rekindled my interest in Ashes of Creation. The fact that they might stick to their original design instead of pandering to casual players is quite exciting.

Finally, there might be a game where guilds are able to control meaningful content inside an MMORPG, instead of it being a themepark borefest where everyone gets everything.

I am curious, though. If you are a casual or solo player interested in Ashes of Creation, what are you expected to achieve and do inside the game? Because in my eyes, with the current design, you are just going to be a pawn that guilds will use for their own gain/fun.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2023
    Honestly, hearing about this Freehold system has rekindled my interest in Ashes of Creation. The fact that they might stick to their original design instead of pandering to casual players is quite exciting.

Finally, there might be a game where guilds are able to control meaningful content inside an MMORPG, instead of it being a themepark borefest where everyone gets everything.

I am curious, though. If you are a casual or solo player interested in Ashes of Creation, what are you expected to achieve and do inside the game? Because in my eyes, with the current design, you are just going to be a pawn that guilds will use for their own gain/fun.

As someone that is absolutely not casual, would be running one of those guilds that control things (if myself and my guild decided to play), the current design of Ashes is horrid.

Being able to control some content at the guild level is actually great - but only if there is still enough content for those not controlling anything to have a game to play.

As it stands now, if you aren't controlling content that requires a guild, you don't have a game, you have scraps - and some players here, as well as Steven, seem to somehow thing players will not only pay for that, but will also spend their time on it.

That is actually delusional.

If you don't control that content, you also have no avenue of meaningful progression so that you can get yourself and your guild in to a position where you can contest to be able to control some content.

The game isn't going to have people that aren't affiliated with such guilds - at least not for more than a few weeks.

What all this means is that the notion of multiple servers with 10k cuncurrent players each is literally a meme.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

As someone that is absolutely not casual, would be running one of those guilds that control things (if myself and my guild decided to play), the current design of Ashes is horrid.

Being able to control some content at the guild level is actually great - but only if there is still enough content for those not controlling anything to have a game to play.

As it stands now, if you aren't controlling content that requires a guild, you don't have a game, you have scraps - and some players here, as well as Steven, seem to somehow thing players will not only pay for that, but will also spend their time on it.

If you don't control that content, you also have no avenue of meaningful progression so that you can get yourself and your guild in to a position where you can contest to be able to control some content.

The game isn't going to have people that aren't affiliated with such guilds - at least not for more than a few weeks.

What all this means is that the notion of multiple servers with 10k cuncurrent players each is literally a meme.

This was my conclusion as well. Unless you enjoy gathering random stuff, basically all advancement is not possible unless you belong to a large guild.
    You might get into node wars, or random caravan PvP, but no node in the map will exists without the presence of a large guild. Not even having small guild will be a good solution.
    People still haven't given me good reasons on another thread on why a casual would protect their nodes when their own no property in it.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    Yes, the freehold system is indeed sticking to their original vision - ashes was never a solo-friendly game.

However, there is still plenty of content and ways to play as a solo, just not as easily as playing in a group.

As for your last statement, it makes me question if this is a legit post, or you are one of the Multiple, multiple alt accounts from QQing casuals made to try to spam push their agenda and get intrepid to change the system

it wouldn't be the first time we hade these bait posts around here
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    xmx8w5vp3uzs.png

Ok, now I know you are indeed just another alt account pushing yours or your streamer's agenda.

I'd ask @Vaknar and @Roshen to keep an eye on these. People are artificially trying to inflate the number of negative feedback around here. Not cool.
    img]
  • Options
    Trustmebro666Trustmebro666 Member
    edited July 2023
    Liniker wrote: »
    As for your last statement, it makes me question if this is a legit post, or you are one of the Multiple, multiple alt accounts from QQing casuals made to try to spam push their agenda and get intrepid to change the system

My last statement is from the point of view of someone who is part of these so-called 1% guilds that would be controlling this game. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion with the thread topic being "Freehold system makes me more hopeful for Ashes of Creation."

I don't want this game to change, and I'm truly curious about what kind of expectations the people who shouldn't be excited for such a hardcore guild-driven game have.
    xmx8w5vp3uzs.png

Ok, now I know you are indeed just another alt account pushing yours or your streamer's agenda.

I'd ask @Vaknar and @Roshen to keep an eye on these. People are artificially trying to inflate the number of negative feedback around here. Not cool.

There is absolutely no need to artificially try to inflate the number of negative feedback when it comes to Ashes of Creation. They are already receiving enough without that. Also, people who are posting two times in a row like this should be kept an eye on. That's just terrible forum etiquette. You could have easily done all of this in a single post.
  • Options

There is absolutely no need to artificially try to inflate the number of negative feedback when it comes to Ashes of Creation.

lol are you new to Ashes? same happened with the PK discussion, the large majority wants PVE servers or Opt in PVP

what was Steven's response? game is not for everyone.

This game is not designed by feedback, they explained multiple times that this is not a game made by committee, they take feedback to understand why people like or don't like the systems, sorry.

also, in this case, I'm not sure its even a 50/50 there are plenty of content creators and their communities giving positive feedback, most of my community liked the changes so... even then, seems like a 'loud minority' case.

Which is fine, it goes to show that intrepid really nailed it with this showcase, it was so good that made you go and spam 20 alt accounts to try and change a game so you can own a freehold at day 1 level 1 lol
    img]
  • Options

There is absolutely no need to artificially try to inflate the number of negative feedback when it comes to Ashes of Creation.

lol are you new to Ashes? same happened with the PK discussion, the large majority wants PVE servers or Opt in PVP

what was Steven's response? game is not for everyone.

This game is not designed by feedback, they explained multiple times that this is not a game made by committee, they take feedback to understand why people like or don't like the systems, sorry.

No, I'm not new, and what I meant is that Ashes is receiving negative feedback from the MMORPG community because it's not what the majority wants. This isn't artificially inflating the negative feedback. Your mind is so focused on the idea that "evil casuals" are coming for your game that it's the only thing you see. Or maybe you just lack reading comprehension?

Let's try again. My topic for the game is "Freehold system makes me more hopeful for Ashes of Creation," which is positive towards the whole system being hardcore and guild-driven. Why would I create alt accounts to be positive about Ashes of Creation? You cultist members are shilling enough, I don't need to do that.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Can't make a niche game fit millions of players. Just doesn't work like that. We'll probably end up like albion online with two servers lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    e5r60vpfb52d.png
    Interesting choice of first splash.
  • Options

What all this means is that the notion of multiple servers with 10k concurrent players each is literally a meme.

In all this chaos, it feels good to see somebody who understands what is happening.
    I don't know why you say "the current design of Ashes is horrid".
    But I definitely agree that there must be some "meaningful progression" for all kind of different players.
    Often players who played before an mmorpg see such games only through the prism of their past experience. They think activities they liked are good for the game and activities they hate are bad and developers should not implement them or if they do, should reserve them for low level/casual players.

But there are so many kind of players who simply enjoy the game in a different way.
    Trying to make the game only for a subset can indeed lead to a low population.
    The "meaningful progression" must be really good to prevent players throwing in the towel after their first node is destroyed.
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    There won't be too many casual players willing to have a monthly $15 sub lying around unused throughout the year, either AoC has an appeal to many players or it becomes obscure. I'm hoping for mass appeal so some "pandering to casual players" will be required.
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »
    There won't be too many casual players willing to have a monthly $15 sub lying around unused throughout the year, either AoC has an appeal to many players or it becomes obscure. I'm hoping for mass appeal so some "pandering to casual players" will be required.

pretty sure steven himself said the games not gonna be for everyone and thats ok with him
    Referral Code : 8GTVW547SYDTHE6Nashesofcreation.com/r/8GTVW547SYDTHE6N
  • Options

The moment you allow any form of open-world PvP, the mass appeal goes out the window. So, it's safe to say that AoC won't have mass appeal. I guess the biggest challenge will be throwing a bone to casual players without losing the integrity of the game. Personally, I don't think that's even possible with the core pillars of AoC. If you start tip-toeing around casuals too much, it will just become another theme park borefest in the end.
  • Options

Exactly, that's what a lot of these people defending this news don't understand fundamentally. I'm an active player in Albion online, a far more hardcore pvp game than Ashes wants to be, and if Sandbox interactive completely got rid of the option for guilds to be able to build their own crafting stations on their islands, then a large majority of the player base would just quit because they'd refuse to deal with the cartels bullshit.
  • Options
    Yes, the freehold system is indeed sticking to their original vision - ashes was never a solo-friendly game.
    @Liniker

The problem is that Ashes is now a solo-hostile game.
  • Options
    xmx8w5vp3uzs.png

I'd ask Vaknar and Roshen to keep an eye on these. People are artificially trying to inflate the number of negative feedback around here. Not cool.
    I wouldn't worry about that.

They have access to all the information they reasonably need to determine if someone is posting from multiple accounts. If they are actually attempting to collect player sentiment, that isn't an issue.

I mean, I for one have three accounts to this game, yet only post on one.
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    pretty sure steven himself said the games not gonna be for everyone and thats ok with him

That statement is true, he has said that and is not shy about it, however, I would like to point out that they are going thru a lot of effort to create the Corruption system to alleviate common issues that casuals would have with raw PvP activities, based on that, he has not given up on a broader, mass appeal and most likely will want the highest sub. rates possible. To accomplish this, many game functions, including the FH system, will need to be adjusted for that purpose.

• Options

That statement is true, he has said that and is not shy about it, however, I would like to point out that they are going thru a lot of effort to create the Corruption system to alleviate common issues that casuals would have with raw PvP activities, based on that, he has not given up on a broader, mass appeal and most likely will want the highest sub. rates possible. To accomplish this, many game functions, including the FH system, will need to be adjusted for that purpose.

Perhaps we can get rid of the corruption system if all the casuals leave ;)
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

I mean, if you can't have nice things, why stay? Oh look at my "instanced housing" it's so nice. LOL. That's gonna be more than 50% of the population. Being happy about having instanced housing.
  • Options
    Individuated SoulIndividuated Soul Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    @Liniker

I think it's incorrect to think this way. The game is being designed to meet the design pillars and philosophy of the creator. Where casuals fall within that is by consequence rather than intentional design.
    xCSOHOG.png
  • Options
    That statement is true, he has said that and is not shy about it, however, I would like to point out that they are going thru a lot of effort to create the Corruption system to alleviate common issues that casuals would have with raw PvP activities

The main goal of the corruption system isn't to protect casuals; that's just an added benefit. It's designed to provide guilds with a more interesting risk-vs-reward type of PvP, instead of just being a meaningless gankbox. While casuals may not be killed while doing menial tasks like gathering, they will definitely be killed if they want to do anything meaningful, such as raid bosses or farming dungeons.
  • Options
    BlackBrony wrote: »

I mean, if you can't have nice things, why stay? Oh look at my "instanced housing" it's so nice. LOL. That's gonna be more than 50% of the population. Being happy about having instanced housing.

Actually casual mind set (forum poster), give me the best thing or i leave. Thankfully normal casual players won't care or be hyped if they get one together lol
  • Options
    @Liniker

I think it's incorrect to think this way. The game is being designed to meet the design pillars and philosophy of the creator. Where casuals fall within that is by consequence rather than intentional design.

He is trying to push an agenda, that is why he is trying to use as harmful words as he can't to get people to agree with him in order to try to control dialogue and put oil on sparks.
  • Options
    @Liniker

I think it's incorrect to think this way.
    It isn't an incorrect way to think if it is true.

As someone that was - at one point - looking to be running a top end guild of about 60 people in Ashes with an attached mid tier guild (or guilds) of about 500, if casual players aren't catered for in a game, no one is.

You can't have a top tier without a bottom tier. You can't gate content if there is no one to keep out.

The core pillars of Ashes requires a legion of casual players. Those casual player need some content. THey need to be catered to first, then you add on stuff for the more dedicated players. It is this added on content that is where you get your exclusivity, your content blocking.

But you build the base first.
  • Options

The moment you allow any form of open-world PvP, the mass appeal goes out the window.

false.
  • Options
    Again, you keep trying to get the game to cater to individuals. The design and philosophy of a game is sacred, not pandering to casuals. If you want to be successful in a system then you must cater yourself to it. Refusal is your right, but don't expect an easy road to success.
    xCSOHOG.png
  • Options
    I'm not sure you get the notion. I want massive 500vs500 battles. I don't want to see the same 500 people every battle, I want variety. Casual players and solo players add variety. Casual Players and solo players also form and join guilds...
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Again, you keep trying to get the game to cater to individuals. The design and philosophy of a game is sacred, not pandering to casuals. If you want to be successful in a system then you must cater yourself to it. Refusal is your right, but don't expect an easy road to success.

No idea who you are talking about here, but I am going to answer anyway.

Ashes is in competition with every other MMO out there. Ashes is also in competition with every FPS game, every single player game, every MOBA. Ashes is also in competition with Netflix, with Disney, with NFL, with NBA, with Fox, with your local golf course, ten pin bowling, movie theatre, stage theatre, comedy club, literally every business out there that provides entertainment.

Ashes needs people to say "of all the options open to me, I chose playing Ashes".

As such, it needs to cater to every group it identifies as being required for the game to function.

If it is not catering to casual players, it means Intrepid have decided they do not need casual players. If Ashes does not have casual players, who are the guilds blocking content from?
  • Options
    Catering to casuals is required when you lack vision, leadership, and are motivated by money. As I said earlier, the philosophy and design pillars are what matter the most and Steven has the intelligence to know that, and leadership to see it through. If the game is great casuals will naturally come, but they are not the main objective. People who will enjoy and partake in the deliberately crafted world of Verra are.
    xCSOHOG.png
  • Options
    Catering to casuals is required when you lack vision, leadership, and are motivated by money. As I said earlier, the philosophy and design pillars are what matter the most and Steven has the intelligence to know that, and leadership to see it through. If the game is great casuals will naturally come, but they are not the main objective. People who will enjoy and partake in the deliberately crafted world of Verra are.

So, I saw Stevens leadership first hand in Archeage.

Don't attept to pull that card, it's blank.