Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

If you are not fond of PvP, how might you steer clear of it?

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

It's entirely reasonable for those who don't enjoy PvP, and even PvP enthusiasts have days when they'd rather avoid it. Given the current limitations of the game, how do you foresee managing to evade PvP encounters?

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    For the most part, the people that I know that aren't fond of PvP avoid it by playing games without it.

Seems to work well for them - though I assume that isn't the answer you wanted.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    At early start, I think there will be opportunitisic pvp but after pecking orders will establish and reputations at stake so pvp will be hopefully more strategic.

With early L2 being quite harsh penalties for pvp here are some ways it was avoided

- Passive guild paid a pvp centric guild for protection
    - De-tag from guild temporarily to avoid wars / pvp
    - Assist pvp guild with castle de-throning
    - XP in lesser-known areas
    - XP with a buddy that likes to pvp
    - Make friends with the known pvp`er (make friends)
    - Allow the guild that is waring to have the raid boss, and select another..
    - Raid bosses to provide some spoils to pvp guild as trade to be left alone
    - Supply pvp guild with resources and/or gear in return for no war / protection

List goes on!
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2023
    Most of that list are things that contribute to player atrophy.

The first thing and last three things on the list are major contributors.

It is only really the two points about friends that are things that should be encouraged.
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »

It's entirely reasonable for those who don't enjoy PvP, and even PvP enthusiasts have days when they'd rather avoid it. Given the current limitations of the game, how do you foresee managing to evade PvP encounters?

It's a PvX game, so I don't expect to avoid it at all. Can't think of any way you could play the game without being at risk of it. And I think that's healthy for the game, for what it is.

I'm generally terrible at PvP in MMOs, but I'm not particularly worried about it. There will be times when I'll faul foul of it, and there will be times when I may even come out on top. It is what it is.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    raeyikraeyik Member

It's entirely reasonable .....how do you foresee managing to evade PvP encounters?

I believe it's been stated fairly clearly that Ashes is a PvX game, meaning that both pve and pvp content are being designed as an integrated and merged system where they will nearly always be inherently connected. If the true question you have is: I don't really like pvp and I don't want to engage in it, can I still have fun and experience the game thoroughly? Then the answer is that you won't be able to.

If I take your question at face value, then:

Craft or do things in a town where pvp is off limits. To the best of my knowledge, except during wars/sieges towns will be 'safe zones' unless you are 'a criminal'.

The inside of your house will also not be a pvp zone so if you have crafting stations or things to do there that will also be safe and pvp free.

Outside of those places, and perhaps specific peace zones or poi the chance for pvp will be inherent to the best of my knowledge. Now, that doesn't guarantee pvp, right? The system for pvp is designed to punish those who attack people who aren't flagged for it so the chances of you constantly being attacked when you don't want to be will be lower than you might think.

• Options
    raeyik wrote: »
    Craft or do things in a town where pvp is off limits. To the best of my knowledge, except during wars/sieges towns will be 'safe zones' unless you are 'a criminal'.

The inside of your house will also not be a pvp zone so if you have crafting stations or things to do there that will also be safe and pvp free.

"Safe zones
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Safe_zones
    Players cannot PvP while inside the footprint of a freehold homestead even if the doors are unlocked.[1] This does not apply for a period of two hours following a successful siege against its parent node.[2][3][4][5]
    Players are not able to be attacked or robbed while occupying their player stall inside the limits of a node.[6]
    "

In town seems like it's fair game too, unless you're in a player-stall.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    daveywavey wrote: »
    In town seems like it's fair game too, unless you're in a player-stall.
    I'm like 90% sure this will change, even though I'd prefer it didn't.
  • Options
    RavicusRavicus Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    *Sneaks in on my Rogue, finds a crafter hard at work at the crafting station, and Kablam!! Kabloooi!! Hits him with a crudgel over his head and steals his rare ore...then vanishes for a stealthy reatreat....muhahahahaha*
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    Ravicus wrote: »
    *Sneaks in on my Rogue, finds a crafter hard at work at the crafting station, and Kablam!! Kabloooi!! Hits him with a crudgel over his head and steals his rare ore...then vanishes for a stealthy reatreat....muhahahahaha*

Hehe yep, maybe! Hopefully there will be enough guards around to discourage them killing you.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

The only 100% effective way is to not play.

That said I have come to the opinion over time that we will not live in a world rife with PKs.
  • Options
    Fantmx wrote: »

The only 100% effective way is to not play.

That said I have come to the opinion over time that we will not live in a world rife with PKs.

Only on the open sea, that will be a bloodbath, but it will be glorious :smiley: It will be like felucca in UO. Maybe there will be some dungeon rares in the oceans that you can only get by braving the seas to get. Kind of like the power scroll champ spawns
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    rocsekrocsek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    As a PvE player mainly, I'm just going to play the game. Once people get into the Alphas and Betas and see the consequences of corruption, I really don't think you'll see that much unwanted PvP. Sure for the first week or two you may have people testing the waters at lower levels, but once you start getting up in levels it wont be worth it. Looking forward to getting in and see how things go.
    Kaos & Lace Cartel
    "Come join us as you wont like the taste of the Grapefruits we're throwing at our enemies."

"Never settle for what you think you know" - C. Krauthammer
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Just punish your assailant with Corruption if you’re on the mainland.

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    If you want to surf, you’re going to fall in the water a lot. If you can accept that surfing is both on the wave and in the waves then you’re surfing. If not, then it’s just an exercise of anxiety.

PvX means that other players are part of the game experience - as allies and enemies.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    If I go surfing, falling in the water is fine.
    I will already know how to manage that to my satisfaction.
    What I won’t be OK with is some other surfer having the freedom to knock me off my board whenever they feel like it - especially if I have no way to have them criminally punished.

How many surfing spots do you know where surfers pushing other surfers off their boards and into the water is an acceptable thing??

In the real world, a surfer pushing another surfer off their board and into the water without consent would risk some form of legal punishment.
    Enough of a punishment to ensure that it rarely occurs.
    The Ashes equivalent of that punishment is Corruption.

So, yes, if you are asking me to surf at your surfing spot, I expect non-consensual pushing to be legally punishable.
    Just like in-game I expect everywhere to have Corruption.

The primary difference between surfing and playing an MMORPG is that my primary goal is to explore and uncover the entire map. And I refuse to play games where I can be advertised as in the mood for PvP when I’m not actually in the mood for PvP.
    So, I don’t play MMORPGs that have permanent zones with auto-consent, FFA PvP. Because it means I won’t be able to complete my primary goal unless I auto-consent to PvP with no Corruption punishment. And I’m not going to auto-consent to that.

If you invite me to participate in a Surfing Tournament which has 10 spots around the Pacific. I might very well be up for that.
    If you tell me that at one of those spots, I have to agree that it’s OK for other surfers to push me off my board whenever they wish, I’m not going to participate in that Surfing Tournament.
  • Options
    You ever visited a beach and cut up the local surfers on a wave. You'll get dropped off your board real quick.
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    edited July 2023
    TBH - I believe most people think PKing is going to be a constant occurrence, which is an overstatement.

IS knows rampant PKing will be detrimental to the health of the game, and corruption will be balanced accordingly. So for the most part staying away from PvP won't be hard, because outside of a corrupted player, the rest is opt-in.

I think the corruption rules will piss off more PKs than it will the greens getting attacked.
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I always see this topic worded differently, most of the statements are the same. What most people tend to forget or don't bother mentioning are the anti-griefing guilds that will be present in Ashes, who will relish to go out bounty hunting the asshats.
    As long as I've been following this game and an alpha1 backer, the first couple of weeks during launch will be chaotic, maybe not so much after Alpha2's pvp corruption has been tuned to where Intrepid wants it to be and it being broadcast on Twitch and Youtube. The people who are just trying the game will try to push the system and see how far they can take it. Once they realize they can't just go all out PK'ing people with no consequences, I think the pvp will settle down to only resource fights, and the said pvp situations where it is opt in.
    This fear of getting PK'd with no consequence is another gift from WOW, that has been beat into the brains of the masses and made to think that every game that has pvp is like it. Yes, I know of the games that came before, but WOW is the most mainstream game that garnered this trend.
    Another thing I'm not too fond of is the new youtubers making the Ashes Might NOT be the game for you. They make these videos almost as a warning label. INSTEAD, they should at least try to get people to at least try the game. Who knows, they might come to love it. Never turn anyone away from wanting to try our genre, IF they do turn their nose up at it, give them reasons and explain the differences from those that came before and how Ashes are taking steps to change the old norm. Who knows, you might have just set someone on the path to be a PVP loving monster!
    Ok, back to work now. Sorry for the long rant.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Yep. Because the people who typically play on PvP servers experience anti-griefers as a solution. Which is why they are on PvP servers instead of PvE-Only servers.

The players who typically play on PvE-Only servers don’t experience anti-griefing as a solution.
    “If someone tries to shove cake down your throat, we will protect you and shove cake down THEIR throat.”
    When I’m not in the mood for cake, I really don’t want to be surrounded by people shoving cake down each other’s mouths.

Again… it’s not really a fear of PK.
    It’s the abhorrence of non-consensual PvP.
    Also, there is some disagreement of what opt-in entails.
    I don’t consider the Open Seas to be opt-in.
    PvPers do consider the Open Seas to be opt-in.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023

Step 1: Open a support ticket and ask for your AoC account to be deleted (along with your forum account)

Step 2: Open Notepad and type:
    "Reminder - I should never sign up for an MMO with open-world pvp if I don't like pvp in mmos"

Step 3: Sign up for Palia for a pve-only experience where everyone can get instanced freeholds.

There, now everyone is happy
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Main tactic: look harmless and like a waste of time to run after.

Secondary tactic: talk role play my way out of it.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    @Dygz
    The primary difference between surfing and playing an MMORPG is that my primary goal is to explore and uncover the entire map. And I refuse to play games where I can be advertised as in the mood for PvP when I’m not actually in the mood for PvP.
    So, I don’t play MMORPGs that have permanent zones with auto-consent, FFA PvP. Because it means I won’t be able to complete my primary goal unless I auto-consent to PvP with no Corruption punishment. And I’m not going to auto-consent to that.

What is wrong with just not considering the sea as "part of the map", since it clearly isn't designed for players like you? Is there not enough main-land and coastal content on this massive map of verra to satisfy your playstyle?
  • Options
    Um. Because it actually will be part of the map.
    My Bartle score is Explorer 87; Socializer 73; Achiever 47; Killer 0
    So, I'm not going to play a game where I can't explore the entire map without being auto-flagged for PvP.

• Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited July 2023
    @Dygz

Yeah I understand you like to explore, I guess my point is that there is already a lot to explore without having to go into the open sea, so why not just enjoy that? Then, when you are "in the mood" for pvp you can choose to explore the open sea.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Um. Because it actually will be part of the map.
    My Bartle score is Explorer 87; Socializer 73; Achiever 47; Killer 0
    So, I'm not going to play a game where I can't explore the entire map without being auto-flagged for PvP.

explore when no one is online :d or join a huge guild and they can come with you and no one will attack you.

or..you mentioned in another game sometimes you would just let people kill you and you would go back to your corpse quickly and move on. what if the open seas are similar? you die then go back quickly and continue exploring.
  • Options
    PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited July 2023
    To the contrary of almost everyone on this thread, there are many ways to avoid getting PvP'd almost ever. Mostly just join a large and peaceful guild, preferably with some alliances(you can do this before the game even launches).

Apart from that leave before a city gets sieged, you will have advanced notice. Same with castles. Don't use the caravan system, and if you do just hire some of the baddest PKrs out there and lots of them.

Umm, play with friends or your guildmates or some random other people who are going your way or going a way you can benefit from. You know if there's a group that's going around farming some skeletons in the graveyard and you've got some mushrooms to pick there, ask them if theyre friendly and if you can sort of tag along besides them for safety, I imagine the majority will say yes, if they're not already grabbing mushrooms.

Eventually you will probably run into an instance where you have PvP forced upon you, but you'll be able to avoid it 99.2% I have no doubt.
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Ace1234 wrote: »
    @Dygz
    Yeah I understand you like to explore, I guess my point is that there is already a lot to explore without having to go into the open sea, so why not just enjoy that? Then, when you are "in the mood" for pvp you can choose to explore the open sea.
    Because I am rarely in the mood for PvP. And, I find the concept of auto-consent FFA (Corruption-free) PvP to be repugnant.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Umm, play with friends or your guildmates or some random other people who are going your way or going a way you can benefit from. You know if there's a group that's going around farming some skeletons in the graveyard and you've got some mushrooms to pick there, ask them if theyre friendly and if you can sort of tag along besides them for safety, I imagine the majority will say yes, if they're not already grabbing mushrooms.

Eventually you will probably run into an instance where you have PvP forced upon you, but you'll be able to avoid it 99.2% I have no doubt.
    Again, this is an odd solution - because if that were viable I never would have left PvP-Optional servers to play on PvE-Only servers. And I've always been driven off of PvP-Optional servers to play on PvE-Only servers.
    I think the deeper issue is that I'm not going to want to play on the same servers as gamers who believe everyone auto-consents to PvP just by logging into the game. And I'm definitely not going to play a server where you do, effectively, auto-consent to PvP just by logging into the server.
  • Options
    Someone keeps dangling that sucker, now I want one.
    d0wjag3gf6ud.png
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    Come and get it, Honey!