Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The perfect arena system

124»

Comments

• Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Nova_terra wrote: »
    I am sitting here watching The International as we speak so I definitely know what you mean by entertainment from watching streams/esports. I guess we will see how they implement it as I will most likely be an arena player if no pvp is happening outside the node walls.
    And you're watching it as a spectator, right? So you see both sides and even stats of both sides. So I'd imagine you can see how that kind of info could be insanely beneficial in a situation where the spectator is in cahoots with one of the sides.

Even if there's some sort of obfuscation of info, w/o delay spectators can still provide some beneficial details about the opponent. Countless such cases were present in L2.

Yeah,

I think I was imagining a much different "spectator" experience than something like the Dota 2 spectating client. I imagined something like a top down view of a WoW arena which would make it easy to hide data like that until match start. But if we are stating the expectation to be something akin to actual E-sport spectating like Dota 2 then yeah spotting would be an easy/obvious thing.

Appreciate y'all coming in with the clarity. I had a totally different mental image of what we were talking about.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    NiKr wrote: »
    Why do people watch esports? Why do people watch sports?

I have no answer to either of these questions.

I used to play rugby. I "follow" my regional and national team in rugby, I will occasionally go to a game as a way to spend time with friends, but I will not sit and watch a game.

I'll read results and watch highlights, but not the whole game - despite the fact that I love the sport.

This is from someone that isnt in a position any longer to play the sport, I really don't understand why someone would watch others play a game they could literally just play themselves.

However, it's one of those things that I just have to accept others do, and enjoy doing - so what ever.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    This is from someone that isnt in a position any longer to play the sport, I really don't understand why someone would watch others play a game they could literally just play themselves.
    You're just too special :)
  • Options
    GrappLrGrappLr Member, Alpha One
    There's one thing I want to add (although sorta mentioned already). 1v1 Arenas should not be a thing. But for a different reason. If 1v1 Arenas are a thing, there will be IMMENSE pressure on the Devs from the community to balance PvP for 1v1. And this game is currently not designed for that.
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    edited October 2023
    lrx4562jf54r.png

Hasn't changed for the passed 4 years, sadly i don't think 2v2 (one of my favourite other than 3v3 brackets) will be coming :(
    But i'm just happy that we have an arena + ranked system to be honest
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    2v2 will be more enjoyable then 1v1 because you will have someone along side you to fight with, whether it be a random, friend, sibling or whatever. This opens up an opportunity to create strategies when versing teams.

having a second gives you the opportunity to chain up big dps moves, cc abilities and have an advantage to your team with the use of communication and coordination

Far more rewarding then going in solo and hoping for the best with just kiting or zerging and praying etc

Secondly, how will healers cope in a 1v1? In 2v2 they will be top pick as the most common was healer/dps however, with the option of a 2v2 it gives the double dps a chance to compete and get just as high as the healer/dps comps you verse especially higher elo, it also creates shorter games compared.

As OP stated, most commonly you play games with a friend, and sometimes waiting for that 3rd player to log on can take up a bit of time so having 2v2 to warm up and practice synergizing with

Rated 1v1 would only be fun for a handful of specs, 2v2 atleast gives every class a chance to compete together in this bracket

This was one of my reasons for adding 2v2 > 1v1

Though 2v2 is not confirmed
    Im bloody excited for arena especially (3v3 & 5v5)
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    NightmarelolNightmarelol Member
    edited October 2023
    ^

I second this 🙌🏻
    j2p8mdmovgu9.jpg
  • Options
    GrappLr wrote: »
    There's one thing I want to add (although sorta mentioned already). 1v1 Arenas should not be a thing. But for a different reason. If 1v1 Arenas are a thing, there will be IMMENSE pressure on the Devs from the community to balance PvP for 1v1. And this game is currently not designed for that.
    L2's arenas were 1v1 and balancing was also designed for parties, but arena was still really popular and great arena players were respected (on top of them having massive benefits from it).
    Pyrolol wrote: »
    Far more rewarding then going in solo and hoping for the best with just kiting or zerging and praying etc
    It's only more rewarding in duo if you enjoy playing with other people.

I don't want other people to mess my gameplay up or me messing up their gameplay. 1v1s must be in the game, for all the anti-social people to have their own little part of gameplay, just as pvers and artisans will.
  • Options
    healers are op in 1v1 :D

i wanna see TvT :(
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2023
    L2 and AA, both games Ashes is taking inspiration from are not balanced 1v1 and have 1v1 arenas, the way developers do balancing to change from group-based to 1v1 is a fundamental change to the game's core design and would touch on 80% of the game, can't think of a single mmo in history that changed something like that and especially not because of arena players complaining lol
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    L2 and AA, both games Ashes is taking inspiration from are not balanced 1v1 and have 1v1 arenas, the way developers do balancing to change from group-based to 1v1 is a fundamental change to the game's core design and would touch on 80% of the game, can't think of a single mmo in history that changed something like that and especially not because of arena players complaining lol

I dunno..I must say that I really used to enjoy seeing prophets (buffers) in Olympiad smashing dps classes because of having your own buffs + getting a lot of equipment which you wouldn't consider caster/buffer/mage equipment like heavy or light armors, daggers and bows but being able to use it because your class have those passive skill masteries for any weapon and heavy/light/robe armors ☺️
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Make them lucrative.