Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tulnar Idea Prompt

1235»

Comments

• Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    o5uxrtkbh6x8.jpg
  • Options
    TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This handsome guy is an absolute win.
    If Tulnar could look like that, I'd be pretty happy.
    Personally, I'd lean towards a more Dragon-esque appearance, but he's still awesome!
  • Options
    Solvryn wrote: »
    o5uxrtkbh6x8.jpg

HELLLLLLLL YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  • Options
    o5uxrtkbh6x8.jpg

A good-lookin' Soil Vampire.... Err - Tulnar.

• Options
    o5uxrtkbh6x8.jpg

A good-lookin' Soil Vampire.... Err - Tulnar.

Thanks Tyr I appreciate it.
  • Options
    bgpg7g1fdbp1.jpg
    gta05ejk3mv7.jpg
    fyfd6wdzpxqa.jpg
    rp85t7809gje.jpg
    wjcnfu032pgm.jpg
    yg7zw3exobn0.jpg
    65qybrqg2bv0.jpg
    5vfw3psf9luz.jpg
    tmetalq6okfu.jpg
    qi0vsjx7ku3e.jpg
  • Options
    LineagerLineager Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    f54hkst1rb8v.png

@Solvryn WOW.

Take him to the team
  • Options
    Lineager wrote: »
    f54hkst1rb8v.png

@Solvryn WOW.

Take him to the team

they're watching lol
  • Options
    TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What do you all think about this one?
    udzp99hgkb9s.png
  • Options
    Teyloune wrote: »
    udzp99hgkb9s.png

Looks good
  • Options
    1riljlauxzw7.jpeg
  • Options
    Eww Tulnars
  • Options
    Ehrgeiz wrote: »
    Eww Tulnars

Eww your face.
  • Options
    Teyloune wrote: »
    udzp99hgkb9s.png

Looks good

Daww! I want to pet it!
    MY Own NIckle Co-operates with an EYE. -Mīonikoī.
  • Options
    lexg27lbnkwl.jpeg
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    xf772o3woa41.jpg
  • Options
    6yh7oa2ok4vf.png

Tulnar currently are not being worked on sayeth the Sandal Lord, that's cool with me I can wait.

____

Culture:

Architecture:

Clothing Design:

Weapon Design:

Armor Design:

____

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Tulnar

From the wiki:

The Tulnar religion is a combination of religious beliefs of the major races as well as pagan beliefs of the minor races that evolved over time as they coexisted together in the Underrealm.[15] There's talked of Voodoo somehwere on the page so I'll continue to look for quotes and update the thread as necessary.

Tulnar have a caste system.

And Tulnar are descendants of the original four races before they split into 2 ethnic subgroups each.

"The progression of the Tulnar- while they are still the staples of what were once the primary deities of the good pantheon remained for the Tulnar, over the time they existed and evolved into the society that they are at the return to Verra. It's much more similar... to the way the Creole religions advanced, with using components of Christianity as well as Voodoo and other smaller, more "paganesque" religions; and incorporated them into one. To that degree, you can correlate the way that society around the Tulnar has this almost combination of what were pagan beliefs from the minor races as well as the introductions of the major beliefs and religions from the major races, because they all came together in the Underrealm and survived in that regard. So you’re gonna see naturally a combination of those two things.[11] – Steven Sharif"

___

Culture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_African_Vodun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goths

When you get a good look at Lousiana, Voodoo and Gothic Cemetaries.

But in the case of cultural, I rather look at the ancient Goths themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goths

Those fit both snugly with, Vodun has a huge spiritual and priest component to it, so does the caste system and Goths were among the most feared Warriors in the beginning of feudal Europe.

Which fit snugly into;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedic_periodhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedic_period

In this case, Indians were also important to the Creole culture and their beloved cookpot.

3uctxtb46tg4.png

I originally was about some eras in Japan, but since the Ren'Kai covered most of that I think I can live without.

Elements of Buddhism fit in well with Gothic arianism and still can meld well with Vodun.

But being also of the UnderRealm I think a small bits of Arcanepunk would also fit with the Tulnars nature.

fiemnmqfoim1.jpg
    9r1s7jc3sqrx.jpg
    ablnrb4l6sws.jpg
    8mn5fvqtwzyg.jpg
    3xxdpmvociw6.jpg
    cp11wri09mzm.jpg

Architecture:

High Gothic from the Holy Roman Empire and Ancient Vedic Architecture is very blend able and when you add the Witchy/Voodoo nature of the Tulnar it creates some beautiful work. With the work Intrepid does it can easily blow away these quick AI searches.

xh2dtvjpd1h0.jpg
    2so22ca5cnad.jpg
    cea324uuylpn.jpg
    7w3xbsbeu574.jpg
    zbd1x51dhnyx.jpg
    5sh47kdtm07p.jpg
    lky1dhj5cf2v.jpg

Clothing:

Weapon Design:

Armor Design:

I just wanted to get the conversation going.

x3q0b2drly3b.jpg
    77hdkjdwizhh.jpg
    095qsq35ir73.png
  • Options
    renadedanterenadedante Member, Intrepid Pack
    Xenotex wrote: »
    77hdkjdwizhh.jpg
    I forgot to respond to this, Sorry!
    I would loveeee if this was an option, so pretty

[NA] Pandemonium| PVE focused | RP PVX | Tulnar | Divine Node
    Come check us out!
  • Options
    DezmerizingDezmerizing Member
    edited March 14
    HmmMm, many of these just look like tieflings to me. Which I mean is all fine by me, but I imagined tulnar as a bit more... Animalistic than infernal (in TT-RPG terms).

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, anyone?

I always thought of the tulnar as being very similar to the mongrelmen of Pathfinder (which I assumed cause Verra originally was Stevens homebrew universe for a Pathfinder campaign, if I recall correctly) ...

Mongrelmen are, similar to many suggestions here, more animalistic humanoid crossings. Sort of hybrid-like, if you will. Some would naturally be more beastly than others (Wenduag, anyone?) while some might appear slightly more humanoid with beastly traits such as horns, scaley patches and beast-like eyes. Then again, I am not against Intrepid leaning more towards League's take on hybrid races (the "vastayan" race in the LoL universe) where they're more... Elegant humanoid hybrids than monsterous (like the Pathfinder version is). Or both? I wouldn't be opposed for them just going both ways either.

I suppose the idea of mixing them with the cultures of the drow (Faêrun, D&D) and buddism could provide some cool results, and an extremely varied culture (as is appropriate for a culture with a caste-design).

The obvious issue that I see is that if the tulnar are indeed going to be so varied, how will Intrepid handle their ingame racial statistics? Unless they are going the more TT-RPG route with different options for each race instead of traditional MMORPG racial bonuses (akin to "choose a skill proficiency", "choose a heritage that grants resistance to specific damage types" etc).

(Sharing two pictures of Lann and Wenduag from Owlcat's Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - both player companions that are of the mongrelman race)

i4p2ncv85mfp.png
    y9jr33q02ly6.png
    lizhctbms6kg.png