Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Nodes and guards in a world of magic (huge desire of mine)

DryadezDryadez Member
edited December 2023 in General Discussion
So one thing that bothers me in alot of mmorpgs is that you have magic in abundance yet when you go to a city, base, town, village whatever... you're made to feel safe with the npc guards that are there. Sort of a feeling of security and a symbol of power and influence for that particular area. Yet for some reason all the npc guards are melee users. Sword and shield in mail/plate armor or whatever they wear. I see this all the time and it bothers me because I think adding flavorful guards spices it up a ton for such a simple addition, it's not a daunting task for developers to add since the makings are all already there ( i only say that because it always baffles me why they rarely do it.) and you can go the extra mile.

As a node gains power and influence I think it would make sense that it attracts the attention of beings that the ruling race of the node would be familiar with that also seek protection and to aid in the battles to come. It could also be an addition to things that Mayors can buy with taxes. To show that this node is a prominent node with a strong backbone.

Heres my suggestion

Every race has it's own sort of elite guard npcs that spawn around node level 5 for example

Upon Node level 5 a couple ents patrol the streets of a py'rai node, stomping around you truly feel like you are in a node that is bonded and protected by nature itself. A sort of cool addition to show players that this node is truly a symbol of power in the area, rather than just some guards in shiny plate armor.

Kaelar- Knight Templars (large mounted Paladins that off heal and use a lance)
Vaelune- Scorpion Riders (Riders that use the scorpion to fight for them)
Py'rai- Ents (Massive ancients of the forest, bind enemies in roots and deal crushing blows)
Empyrean-Juggernauts (Gold plated arcane magic being crafted by the elves, do ranged damage and melee)
Dunir- Stone Golems patrol nodes (highly tanky units, draw aggro and dish out high damage)
Nikua- Mud Golems/ Water elementals (aoe ability to slow enemies movement/attack speed)
Vek- Cave trolls (Bulky but with moderate aoe damage)
Ren'kai- Berserkers (Massive ogre like orcs, High single target damage, low defenses)
Tulnar- Gorgons (the monster kind not the medusa kind maybe even do a tribute to the ones we see in Stranger Things)

and my ideas could go on but these are just examples I quickly thought up but this is the general idea I'm going for

ETC ETC all with their own flavorful and unique movesets. And don't get me wrong I think it's okay to have the guards in shiny plate but I don't think that should be all we see. This is a world rich in magic and many can harness that power, I'd love to see magic using guards and patrols aswell. I think things like this could add so much flavor and it wouldn't take to much manpower in the development area.

Comments

• Options
    @renadedante could probably think of a good Tulnar one
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    edited December 2023
    Great idea! In general it might be a good idea for a mayor to have a "tree" with policies to enact for public safety in which your suggestions would perfectly fit!

The system could be built like this:
    It obviously only starts with a Tier 3 Node, since before there is no mayor.
    • Mayors can choose 3-6 guard policies, 3 for Tier 3 Nodes and 6 for Tier 6 Metropoli
    • The amount of Node policies corresponds to the quantity of guards present in the Node
    • Choosing more guard policies will increase the upkeep of the Node, but also leads to more security in the Node (obviously)
    • There are a bunch of different guard types the mayor can mix together
    • Type 1: Meele guards (adds two meele guards, one with a one hand weapon + shield and ond 2-handed guard)
    • Type 2: Rangers (adds a crossbow guard and a bow guard to the patrols)
    • Type 3: Magicians (Add a mage or cleric to the patrol; if chosen twice it adds one of each)
    • Special Type A: Racial (adds 1 or 2 race specific guards, choosing this policy multiple times increases either number or strenght, depending on race)
    • Special Type B: Node related (adds guards related to the Node type to the patrol)

The Node related guards could be something like this:
    • Divine Node - Inquisitors (A templar & a control cleric rather than with a healing focus) > can be levelled to have an angel join the patrol
    • Military Node - Assassin Squad (Highly mobile units that have separate patrol routes and focus on ambushing hostile targets and when upgraded they lay traps for enemies in the Node by blocking off streets etc)
    • Scientific Node - Surveillance system (Installs surveillance crystals in the Node which sometimes give security advice, to which guards can teleport when a fight breaks out and when upgraded that make barriers that obstruct enemies and shield allies)
    • Economic Node - Bouncers / Headhunters (these basically don't try to kill enemies, they bind them and throw them either out of the Node or into jail if upgraded)
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    I wouldn't even stop at guards. We're all supposed to be suddenly influenced by The Essence on coming through the portal, so even manual labourers should have access to that.

The easiest way I could see to do it would be to give each of the NPCs, guards included, an Archetype. Just pump the guards up a little so that they give out more damage than normal.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Mayor - "Why is my city patrol wage bill suddenly so high?'

Lackey - " Well, we created an invincible super force of elite guards, Sir."

Mayor - "Raise all taxes asap!"
    The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    TrobTrob Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the idea that as a mayor you could have sliders to select the type of guard forces within the node. (Militia / Infantry / Archers / Mage / Knights as platoon styles. And have options for low mid high tier as well as small large and grand size and potentially mounted or unmounted.

It feels like there's a limit to the classes but if you did go unlimited you could stylize your city with priests druids, paladins, to go with a thematic or to provide a healing component to your troops.

Cool thought.
    Trob
  • Options
    DryadezDryadez Member
    edited December 2023
    Kilion wrote: »
    Great idea! In general it might be a good idea for a major to have a "tree" with policies to enact for public safety in which your suggestions would perfectly fit!

The system could be built like this:
    It obviously only starts with a Tier 3 Node, since before there is no mayor.
    • Mayors can choose 3-6 guard policies, 3 for Tier 3 Nodes and 6 for Tier 6 Metropoli
    • The amount of Node policies corresponds to the quantity of guards present in the Node
    • Choosing more guard policies will increase the upkeep of the Node, but also leads to more security in the Node (obviously)
    • There are a bunch of different guard types the mayor can mix together
    • Type 1: Meele guards (adds two meele guards, one with a one hand weapon + shield and ond 2-handed guard)
    • Type 2: Rangers (adds a crossbow guard and a bow guard to the patrols)
    • Type 3: Magicians (Add a mage or cleric to the patrol; if chosen twice it adds one of each)
    • Special Type A: Racial (adds 1 or 2 race specific guards, choosing this policy multiple times increases either number or strenght, depending on race)
    • Special Type B: Node related (adds guards related to the Node type to the patrol)

The Node related guards could be something like this:
    • Divine Node - Inquisitors (A templar & a control cleric rather than with a healing focus) > can be levelled to have an angel join the patrol
    • Military Node - Assassin Squad (Highly mobile units that have separate patrol roots and focus on ambushing hostile targets and when upgraded they lay traps for enemies in the Node by blocking off streets etc)
    • Scientific Node - Surveillance system (Installs surveillance crystals in the Node which sometimes give security advice, to which guards can teleport when a fight breaks out and when upgraded that make barriers that obstruct enemies and shield allies)
    • Economic Node - Bouncers / Headhunters (these basically don't try to kill enemies, they bind them and throw them either out of the Node or into jail if upgraded)

I would love for them to add a tree for this area and like I said, these are units and abilities that are already in the game (except for possibly some of the racial elite guards i listed) so they can mix and match tons of variables

I do think depending on the race you should already automatically see a mix of guards-rangers-battlemages patrolling the node.

Py'rai/empyrean- druids
    Dunir/nikua- geomancers
    Vek/ren'kai- Shamans
    humans- Mages
    Tulnar- Sporemancer

but having the option to stylize your patrols and what types of units we see is definitely something I can see them adding and touching on in patches down the road because theres a ton of possibilities
  • Options
    DryadezDryadez Member
    edited December 2023
    Added Gorgons to the OP as idea for Tulnar elite units
  • Options
    Sounds cool. I never really noticed this for some reason, but now it seems really obvious and hard to ignore after you mentioned it.
  • Options
    Now that you've said something, I do recall feeling this was a bit off; If there's a wizard and his forces threatening a region, wouldn't the guards also have wizards in their ranks/garrisons?

• Options
    DryadezDryadez Member
    edited December 2023
    Now that you've said something, I do recall feeling this was a bit off; If there's a wizard and his forces threatening a region, wouldn't the guards also have wizards in their ranks/garrisons?

It's different if its a world like LOTR where magic is rare and overpowered

but worlds like Guild wars, WoW, Ashes of Creation, Skyrim etc etc all kind of have no excuse for the npc militaries to be composed entirely of sword swingers. I actually went ahead and made my own mods where I added custom made units for towns and bases, i also beefed them up a bit with better functioning defenses like towers and walls.

I added Paladins (one handed swords with off heals), Vindicators (two handed weapons with a shout that creates a holy barrier around them) Vampire hunters (rangers with magicka draining crossbow bolts and magicka resistant armor) To the Dawnguard that randomly spawn and patrol for paranormal creatures.

I also added Imperial battlemages to imperial owned cities and towns and Frost mages to nord owned cities and towns which I incorporated into the guard routines and Guard Captains which I gave powerful stats and gear to.

Before that, the towns were just guards that swung around sharp or heavy objects. These small additions add a ton of spice to the city and even create more of a challenge for players who contest the area.

• Options
    These are great ideas! This makes me think of LoTR Two Towers of the ent taking over Isengard. That was such a majestic scene.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    DryadezDryadez Member
    edited December 2023
    These are great ideas! This makes me think of LoTR Two Towers of the ent taking over Isengard. That was such a majestic scene.

Right I mean how can you have tree elves and no ents! Can't be done! Bonding with nature and mastery over nature energy and magic surely has more benefits than just living in trees.

Same with dwarves and their close bond to earth and stone and humans and their abilities of domestication and will to dominate other things (hence the mounted elite guards i listed for humans) etc
  • Options
    Your idea has appeal.

What enfuriates me about guards in towns is that they are so stoic, always there, always ready, they are never drunk or taking bribes
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Maybe they should get worse in fulfilling their duty if the upkeep is not paid or the node declines in general
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Your idea has appeal.

What enfuriates me about guards in towns is that they are so stoic, always there, always ready, they are never drunk or taking bribes

They're usually good for directions lol
  • Options
    Insanely cool idea. definitely needs to be bumped to the top
    Referral Code : 8GTVW547SYDTHE6Nashesofcreation.com/r/8GTVW547SYDTHE6N
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited December 2023
    Should be building option for guards let say barracks and have muiltipul upgrade options
    1 - Guard strength = over difficlty of guards
    2 - Guard location = Guard stationary location inside and outside node (guardpost along road for example)
    3- Guard patrols= Guard patrols mobile guard that patrol the roads out of the city to the node boarder aswell as inside the node

Military node could allow for muiltipul barracks as build options where other noes can only build 1, or the military node gets a unique barracks building that has more upgrade or better upgrade options for example a normal barrack upgrade might be 1 patrol where military node get 2 patrols or 1 patrol but more guards than a normal barracks

Could also have some policys that effects guards aswell for temporay buffs at the price of gold often used leading into wars i suspect

another idea for building is an armory, where the mayor (or maybe citizens) can slot in equipment sets which a guard wears so this would act as a equipment sink to a degree to boost guards powers
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Your idea has appeal.

So... you want these elite guards to be drunk and bribable?

Stoic , present and ready is kind of the Guard job description.
    The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    Insanely cool idea. definitely needs to be bumped to the top

Thank you!
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    Should be building option for guards let say barracks and have muiltipul upgrade options
    1 - Guard strength = over difficlty of guards
    2 - Guard location = Guard stationary location inside and outside node (guardpost along road for example)
    3- Guard patrols= Guard patrols mobile guard that patrol the roads out of the city to the node boarder aswell as inside the node

Military node could allow for muiltipul barracks as build options where other noes can only build 1, or the military node gets a unique barracks building that has more upgrade or better upgrade options for example a normal barrack upgrade might be 1 patrol where military node get 2 patrols or 1 patrol but more guards than a normal barracks

Could also have some policys that effects guards aswell for temporay buffs at the price of gold often used leading into wars i suspect

another idea for building is an armory, where the mayor (or maybe citizens) can slot in equipment sets which a guard wears so this would act as a equipment sink to a degree to boost guards powers

I think the more customization in this area the better but also on a very basic level I think nodes need to have more than just a few guards wearing tin.
  • Options
    I guess the magic users didn't want to be part of the filthy pleb guards and rather do wizardry stuff than wait for nothing to happen... That makes enough sense to me.

But I agree that they could have thought of other defenses starts helping the guards and the city, like protective shields around the walls, gates, and important buildings, people, and guards.

There should be at least lower supporting magic users with each patrol.
    A few wizards positioned at core positions in the Nodes feel disturbances and violence, ready to intervene.
    Maybe a magic guild will help with the organization of all duties in the node.

I also like the idea of special racial summons or trained elites patrolling the high-end nodes for safety and support in the environment. It makes sense.

I would like to add to that:

We need NPCs to interact with each other more.

Does anyone know V Rising?
    Their concept of the game world is like a giant RPG MOBA with an in-depth castle housing, gathering, and crafting system combined with pvp castle sieging, and POI raiding with boss fights.
    The whole map is filled to the brim with lore about NPC factions, fighting you the vampires, and each other for reasons like bandits against soldiers, undead against the living, and any hostile creature against other NPCs.
    They roam around in patrols fighting each other, even the bosses fight from time to time it is a blast to see what can happen sometimes when a holy archer meets with the undead reaper boss in the iron mines or the harpies who raid the vineyards attacking the patrolling guards there.

We need more small-spread chaos encounters in the world not just between the players.
    The NPCs should be an example to us. :'D
    q79i8hmfb0bk.png
  • Options
    Guard race percentile should be part of the racial dominance in node design.
  • Options
    Guard race percentile should be part of the racial dominance in node design.

I wouldn't mind seeing a mix of guard races since they said there will be a mix of buildings depending on racial contribution to the node.

I think people under estimate how much atmosphere guards and things of the like add to a town/city etc
  • Options
    renadedanterenadedante Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2023
    Dryadez wrote: »

Sorry for such a late reply! Usually I got a notification for the forums but it seems it completely ignored emailing me for like a week. lol!

I definitely like the idea of having racially themed specialty npcs. I also think the as mentioned in a few other comments that the type of node should also help add a bit more specialty.

For tulnar [no node specialty], gargoyles could be very cool, could even be more like gorgon type creatures. I do think it would be very nice to see not just melee guards. Thinking from a fantasy standpoint I would be more scared to get frozen to the ground from a mage or maybe like a quicksand spell instead of the typically melee charge or just knockdown.

Thinking of divine node type of guards, I think it would be interesting if they have a like sense or higher aggro reach for those that are corrupted.

On a slight side note, I also think that typical defensive options should be more flexible based on node type and racials if possible. Having like man eating plants, thorns, mushroom that have like paralyzing spores, as like stationary defensive options in the underrealm could be cool as well. Obviously I get that we can't get too crazy with everything, just some random ideas!

Also what a good mix of ideas in this forum, wish I would have seen this sooner!
    [NA] Pandemonium| PVE focused | RP PVX | Tulnar | Divine Node
    Come check us out!
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Great back and forth going on in this thread, which is so fun to read through c:

Are there any other 'Why is this always the case, and could it be done differently?' ideas yall can think of?
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    It would definitely be nice and cool to have special kinds of node-Guards who also resemble a notable variety of combat classes in the game, to make their look more immersive.
    Not just melee's indeed.
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I guess the only contribution I have to this thread is actually that I don't experience this.

BDO - Guards are definitely implied to be competent, their magical abilities mostly come down to where they live. You don't generally see them actually do anything though, it's not that kind of game.
    Elite Dangerous - It's a game about ships. NPCs must have ships. There's very little distinction outside of 'factional stuff'. The best 'guards' and the best 'pirates' largely fly the same ships, with some limitation for AI simplification or something.
    FFXI - The exact opposite of the OP's concern. Not only do all the 'guards' supposedly know magic if they come from one of the places where that's the main concept, there are entire batallions of NPC casters for certain things. Every combat NPC has the same 'classes' as players available. "Heroic" ones are even stronger.

Most other similar games I've played are closer to BDO where the NPCs don't actually engage in combat, but they're definitely implied to be similar to players in strength or capacity to do so, such as TL, Neverwinter, Onigiri, (and if you go further away from stricter definitions) Skyforge, The Division, etc.

Basically, to me, this is the norm, not the exception, so I just end up with the feeling of 'huh? Just do it how it's normally done'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    DryadezDryadez Member
    edited December 2023
    Dryadez wrote: »

Sorry for such a late reply! Usually I got a notification for the forums but it seems it completely ignored emailing me for like a week. lol!

I definitely like the idea of having racially themed specialty npcs. I also think the as mentioned in a few other comments that the type of node should also help add a bit more specialty.

For tulnar [no node specialty], gargoyles could be very cool, could even be more like gorgon type creatures. I do think it would be very nice to see not just melee guards. Thinking from a fantasy standpoint I would be more scared to get frozen to the ground from a mage or maybe like a quicksand spell instead of the typically melee charge or just knockdown.

Thinking of divine node type of guards, I think it would be interesting if they have a like sense or higher aggro reach for those that are corrupted.

On a slight side note, I also think that typical defensive options should be more flexible based on node type and racials if possible. Having like man eating plants, thorns, mushroom that have like paralyzing spores, as like stationary defensive options in the underrealm could be cool as well. Obviously I get that we can't get too crazy with everything, just some random ideas!

Also what a good mix of ideas in this forum, wish I would have seen this sooner!

I'd love to see guard difficulty rise with the nodes level, and that they play a part in sieges aswell to give more home field advantages. I also try to stay within the realm of "not getting to crazy"

So the idea of guards difficulty rising with node level could be just increasing guard level by +10 every time it advances, but I love the idea of race specific benefits like mushroom spore mines and thorns (think to Middle Earth:shadow of war-- your fortress upgrades you could have poison mines or fire mines) maybe something to add down the road!

Azherae wrote: »
    I guess the only contribution I have to this thread is actually that I don't experience this.

BDO - Guards are definitely implied to be competent, their magical abilities mostly come down to where they live. You don't generally see them actually do anything though, it's not that kind of game.
    Elite Dangerous - It's a game about ships. NPCs must have ships. There's very little distinction outside of 'factional stuff'. The best 'guards' and the best 'pirates' largely fly the same ships, with some limitation for AI simplification or something.
    FFXI - The exact opposite of the OP's concern. Not only do all the 'guards' supposedly know magic if they come from one of the places where that's the main concept, there are entire batallions of NPC casters for certain things. Every combat NPC has the same 'classes' as players available. "Heroic" ones are even stronger.

Most other similar games I've played are closer to BDO where the NPCs don't actually engage in combat, but they're definitely implied to be similar to players in strength or capacity to do so, such as TL, Neverwinter, Onigiri, (and if you go further away from stricter definitions) Skyforge, The Division, etc.

Basically, to me, this is the norm, not the exception, so I just end up with the feeling of 'huh? Just do it how it's normally done'.

Aaa I never played any of those.

I played Gw1, Gw2, WoW, eso, other misc smaller mmos where the worlds had all this magic and powerful civilizations that for some reason could only have very basic military protection in their towns. I think seeing a battlemage or something of the sort in patrols or on guard every so often adds alot to a game.

I played RIFT alittle bit at release and to their defense their cities which were open for world pvp had a good mix of guards both magic, ranged and melee. It makes you feel safer and more secure in a world where you can be in your cities but it doesn't necessarily mean you're completely safe from harm.

WoW is arguably the worse with this, very lazy design here. All cities and hubs spawn the same guards, just different levels with no racial flavor added except a small bias to horde where orc/tauren guards have 2 abilities but they barely make a difference and ironforge guards have 2 abilities that they rarely use.

Other then that, all guards have the same stats and are equally as useless when it comes to actually protecting anything. The games I'm use to unfortunately never put much thought or effort into this area
  • Options
    Dripyula wrote: »
    It would definitely be nice and cool to have special kinds of node-Guards who also resemble a notable variety of combat classes in the game, to make their look more immersive.
    Not just melee's indeed.

kind of responding to this as a way to bump, thanks!