Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Family Summons Sucks (And How to Fix The System)

GrappLrGrappLr Member, Alpha One
edited December 2023 in General Discussion
Argument Against Family Summons in Ashes of Creation

Undermining Travel Significance:

The introduction of the family summons system poses a risk of undermining the significance of travel within the game.
Fast travel systems, if too efficient, have the potential to make other means of travel less appealing. This could diminish the sense of adventure, exploration, and danger that is integral to a vibrant open-world gaming experience.

Uniformity in Travel Choices:

The dominance of family summons as the go-to method for fast travel may lead to uniformity in players' travel choices. If family summons becomes the most efficient and widely adopted means of travel, it could homogenize the player experience, limiting the diversity of travel options and strategies players might employ.

Impact on PvP Dynamics:

Family summons may have a negative impact on player-versus-player (PvP) dynamics. PvP scenarios often rely on strategic movement and positioning. If family summons provides a quick and easy repositioning tool, it could reduce the importance of strategic planning and alter the dynamics of PvP encounters.

Contradiction to Meaningful Travel Commitment:

The concept of family summons contradicts the initial commitment to meaningful travel experiences as described during the Kickstarter campaign. If the developers emphasized the importance of travel in creating a rich and immersive game world during the Kickstarter, the inclusion of an easily accessible fast travel system might be seen as deviating from that commitment.

Overall, there is very little good to be gotten from "Family Summons". Sure, it could be balanced in a way that it's not very abusable. Sure, it could be made weaker if people disliked it. But at the end of the day, it's a bad concept. It should be thrown into the dumpster.

Comments

• Options
    I agree with all points - and the best argument to keep them is simply keeping their commitment on kickstarters. BUT, it's a work in progress right? Systems can be broken and elements will need to be fixed.

A greater commitment is to the end-product itself rather than a feature previously thought to be good.
    The best part about mmos is the friends you make along the way.
  • Options
    GrappGPT is correct.

At first glance it immediately strikes you as abusable and just a way to keep people from traveling more rationally, socially, et cetera.

Instead, aim for robust half-fast in-wordly travel systems. Make the airships more common between big nodes. Harbors with boat travel across the oceans more a standard. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Seriously, I suspect almost nobody is in favor of this system. People just don't care enough to say yes/no to it, and for most, it doesn't even cross their mind/interest.

Even speaking of P2W, I could have 9 alt accounts, all in same family. I just bought myself 9 personal summoning portals, with 30min cooldowns. I can literally teleport to anywhere in the game, on a low cooldown.

This is in a game that has ALMOST NO FAST TRAVEL.

This is literally the definition of easy access fast travel.
  • Options
    135USD to have 9 alt accounts, to be the most mobile man in the game, to be able to teleport anywhere on the world map at any time I want?

You know how many people will do this? Enough that you'll feel inferior with your little 15 dollars a month.
  • Options
    Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited December 2023
    GrappLr wrote: »
    Overall, there is very little good to be gotten from "Family Summons". Sure, it could be balanced in a way that it's not very abusable. Sure, it could be made weaker if people disliked it. But at the end of the day, it's a bad concept. It should be thrown into the dumpster.

Families will be small groups. Will they be able to also be part of a guild?
    I think the purpose of the family summon is to help players who normally like to play together, to be able to reach each-other fast when they login. But they will not teleport goods. The reason of not having teleportation is to ensure goods are transported by caravans.
    From PvP point of view, if one side uses teleportation, the other side can use it too. So both attackers or defenders will be able to take advantage equally. There might also be significant cool-downs to this feature.
    This being said, I feel neutral toward the issue and I don't care if they eventually remove the families completely or keep them teleporting around. I'll prefer being in a guild.
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »

I think the purpose of the family summon is to help players who normally like to play together, to be able to reach each-other fast when they login. But they will not teleport goods. The reason of not having teleportation is to ensure goods are transported by caravans.
    From PvP point of view, if one side uses teleportation, the other side can use it too. So both attackers or defenders will be able to take advantage equally. There might also be significant cool-downs to this feature.
    This being said, I feel neutral toward the issue and I don't care if they eventually remove the families completely or force them to sleep in same house. I'll prefer being in a guild.

The game is designed with travel being important. Easy access fast travel goes against the entire design.

Just because friends can't agree to meet at node cavern at 9pm on Saturday is not my problem. It's their problem. We should not add negative mechanics that belittle important systems such as travel to appeal to small problems like this.

As for abusing the system? It will be abused. I can come up with tons of examples off the top of my head.

Want to sell a sword and armor set on the other continent? Equip it, then family travel there, unequip, sell, family travel back.

Want to look for a world boss with my guild? Make it a guild rule that people in the guild must be in family within the guild. Then, whenever scouting for world bosses, go in groups of 8 (all non family members). If any group of 8 finds the boss, they each singularly summon up their respective families. 8 people turns to 64 very quickly.

You're soloing on the map, and see someone or a caravan you want to take down? If your friends are online, you can tell them to teleport to you. If you're ahead of the path of the caravan, or it's converting got a water caravan, plenty of time to summon them.

Want to have instant access to multiple parts of the game world at a whim? Buy alt accounts, pay 15 bucks a month for them each, and have your very own pay to win portals to teleport to any time you wish.

I can keep going... This is just off the top of my head.
  • Options
    no
    ykwk7qwgw5os.jpg
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »

This being said, I feel neutral toward the issue and I don't care if they eventually remove the families completely or force them to sleep in same house. I'll prefer being in a guild.

The game is designed with travel being important. Easy access fast travel goes against the entire design.

Just because friends can't agree to meet at node cavern at 9pm on Saturday is not my problem. It's their problem. We should not add negative mechanics that belittle important systems such as travel to appeal to small problems like this.

As for abusing the system? It will be abused. I can come up with tons of examples off the top of my head.

Want to sell a sword and armor set on the other continent? Equip it, then family travel there, unequip, sell, family travel back.

Want to look for a world boss with my guild? Make it a guild rule that people in the guild must be in family within the guild. Then, whenever scouting for world bosses, go in groups of 8 (all non family members). If any group of 8 finds the boss, they each singularly summon up their respective families. 8 people turns to 64 very quickly.

You're soloing on the map, and see someone or a caravan you want to take down? If your friends are online, you can tell them to teleport to you. If you're ahead of the path of the caravan, or it's converting got a water caravan, plenty of time to summon them.

Want to have instant access to multiple parts of the game world at a whim? Buy alt accounts, pay 15 bucks a month for them each, and have your very own pay to win portals to teleport to any time you wish.

I can keep going... This is just off the top of my head.

You cannot prevent selling the gear even if that player will walk instead of teleport.
    The family teleportation helps players who do not have many alts. But those who want to see if a boss spawned or check prices on the other side of the map can do that using alts easier than family teleportation which might have a cool down and needs a family member on the other side.

But if guild members can be part of a family too at the same time, that feels indeed wrong.
    I think the family system is intended or should be used for small group of players who do not want to join guilds.
  • Options
    Argument Against Family Summons in Ashes of Creation

Undermining Travel Significance:

The introduction of the family summons system poses a risk of undermining the significance of travel within the game.
    Fast travel systems, if too efficient, have the potential to make other means of travel less appealing. This could diminish the sense of adventure, exploration, and danger that is integral to a vibrant open-world gaming experience.

Uniformity in Travel Choices:

The dominance of family summons as the go-to method for fast travel may lead to uniformity in players' travel choices. If family summons becomes the most efficient and widely adopted means of travel, it could homogenize the player experience, limiting the diversity of travel options and strategies players might employ.

Impact on PvP Dynamics:

Family summons may have a negative impact on player-versus-player (PvP) dynamics. PvP scenarios often rely on strategic movement and positioning. If family summons provides a quick and easy repositioning tool, it could reduce the importance of strategic planning and alter the dynamics of PvP encounters.

Contradiction to Meaningful Travel Commitment:

The concept of family summons contradicts the initial commitment to meaningful travel experiences as described during the Kickstarter campaign. If the developers emphasized the importance of travel in creating a rich and immersive game world during the Kickstarter, the inclusion of an easily accessible fast travel system might be seen as deviating from that commitment.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Family_summon

1- you know, people in your family still has to walk towards the location where they will use the summoning skills, so everything you mentioned isnt diminished or anything...people still have to walk to get there. also, certain locations might not be accessible by one player who can just bypass all the mobs and summon everyone deep inside a cave. maybe you can summon outside the cave but you still have to go inside your party so no one dies.

2- pretty sure there is going to be a cooldown and you wont be able to spam it. this is mostly going to be used if you have been farming for hours with your party, then someone needs to go back to town to resupply then farm again for a few more hours.

3- cant even use it in combat, so what you said here wont be applicable, plus it will have a long cast time as stated and it will most likely be interruptible if you find someone trying to summon their family. if anything, at most, you will be able to hide and summon, but then it goes on cd and you still have to win the pvp anyways. the enemies can do the same so its a cd x cd trade. also, you most likely wont be able to summon everyone at once, and can only summon them one by one. it says on the wiki "you can slowly start to spawn your family members."

4- read 1. still have to walk to where you want to summon and do a normal travel. if this is an issue, why u dont complain about scientific nodes teleporting ability? thats probably more op.
    135USD to have 9 alt accounts, to be the most mobile man in the game, to be able to teleport anywhere on the world map at any time I want?

You know how many people will do this? Enough that you'll feel inferior with your little 15 dollars a month.

a minority of players will have multiple accounts. consider you will need multiple computers as well...anyways you wont be able to teleport anywhere on the map..just a few spots :D and then do what? die on pvp anyways because you wont be able to win solo vs farming groups. if anything, you are just having a free teleport to a few towns...
  • Options
    LineagerLineager Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I agree with it. This will lead to everyone in the game teleporting. Since there will not be 1-2 families per server - there will be hundreds of them. As a result, even with a teleport cooldown, they will gather once every few hours, imagine 1k players will teleport once every few hours.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The purpose of the family summons is:

"My concern is that the divide that's present in having a largely non-fast travel-based traversal for the world might be a very significant encumbrance for more casual oriented players. We can still maintain the game philosophy in my opinion of mitigating that large group traversal capability as long as we contain the fast travel method to a family type system, where you can't have people quickly dip out of the family and then add new ones and summon them, and the cool down period is quick enough where you can summon large amounts of people.[3] – Steven Sharif" https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Family_summon

I am not trying to defend it, I don't want fast travel. BUT in order for the devs to be ok with removing it, they would need an alternative, better, solution to the problem Steven describes above.

Instead of us just complaining, can anyone think of a better solution?
  • Options
    DryadezDryadez Member
    edited December 2023
    I'm so tired of games these days giving everybody handicaps. I remember one of the best parts about WoW was me and my friends having completely different experiences as different races. If we wanted to quest together.. guess what.. GET HIKING AND CATCH THE BOAT you got an adventure ahead of you, assuming you know where your going. It gave each race a unique feel and an attachment to your homeland... imagine starting out as an elf in the snowy mountain with dwarves, yeah makes alot of sense. As you can tell I'm not even a fan of each race being able to use any divine gateway they want. Tulnar as an exception.

Don't listen to streamers who say things and support things like summoning people. They just want a quick way to 0-100 through the game for their streams. Ignore them for the most part they will always want it to be easier.

No teleporting, no fast traveling all over STOP IT. Stop making the game EASIER we dont want EASIER if we wanted quick and easy we would not be playing MMORPG's. These types of games are suppose to test your patience, your resolve and your wits. Stop dumbing it down to mobile game level IQ friendly.

I will not have much time to play, a few hours most days at best. Guess what? I don't mind traveling the long way around, I don't mind having to go through lengths to meetup with friends. It makes the world feel bigger, it makes it more alive. If i spend an hour of my playtime on traveling through the elements to get to a specific destination, that was an hour well spent. Not "Oh yeah summon pls"
  • Options
    Lore wise, If you're not a magic user, you shall not teleport yourself or others. End of story. You don't get to teleport your family just because you're a family. You would have to be the right class first of all. A warrior is not going to teleport anyone any where, ever.
  • Options
    DryadezDryadez Member
    edited December 2023
    JC31 wrote: »
    Lore wise, If you're not a magic user, you shall not teleport yourself or others. End of story. You don't get to teleport your family just because you're a family. You would have to be the right class first of all. A warrior is not going to teleport anyone any where, ever.

I wouldn't mind summoning being something that like a mage whos partially specced into it and it takes valuable resources for the spell. Summoning someone who is on the other side of the world I'd assume is more difficult than shooting a few bolts of lightning. Summoning should not be a casual thing in any game.

When WoW had mass summon/ressurections for guilds it decimated pvp.
  • Options
    JC31JC31 Member
    edited December 2023
    If they are going to make all 64 classes and archetypes viable they need to get their terms straight and quit goofing with pansy ass "FAMILY SUMMONS". Oh my, we forgot to make a class that can teleport or summon people oh noes!!!

We also forgot to make a class that can enchant people's equipment!! CRAP WE NAMED A CLASS ENCHANTER AND DIDN"T GIVE IT THE POWER TO ENCHANT GEAR WE EFFED UP!!
  • Options
    DryadezDryadez Member
    edited December 2023
    If they are going to make all 64 classes and archetypes viable they need to get their terms straight and quit goofing with pansy ass "FAMILY SUMMONS". Oh my, we forgot to make a class that can teleport or summon people oh noes!!!

I wouldn't mind summoners having to have ingredients to make a summoning circle summon people at least that could make sense but it shouldn't be a quick and easy process.

Something like family summons is.... not good....
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I’ll see how Intrepid implements it before I comment.
  • Options
    Solvryn wrote: »

the point of them giving us a list of the systems and mechanics isnt just so that a group of yes men can wait until the game is almost finished before they start critiquing it. The op's point is valid imo. You dont need to test this to know its going to cause the above problems.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »

the point of them giving us a list of the systems and mechanics isnt just so that a group of yes men can wait until the game is almost finished before they start critiquing it. The op's point is valid imo. You dont need to test this to know its going to cause the above problems.

There’s not enough data worth formulating an opinion on.

• Options
    Will family teleportation bring people onto ships too?
  • Options

So why are you even reading the forums? Theres not enough here for you to have any sort of opinion since the game doesnt exist yet.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    Absolutely right. I implemented something similar in L2 through accounts with summoners located at key points on the map. I even almost stopped using regular fast travel. Multiboxing (or just alts in some games) allows you to gain an advantage. Summon is an example of a mechanic that scales with the number of accounts (to be fair, in this case there is a limitation in the form of family size and cooldown). AoC is P2W. It cannot be otherwise in a classic MMORPG. If you want to "win", you will have to "pay" thousands of dollars for computers and hundreds of dollars monthly for accounts (probably even for Internet providers, VPNs, etc).
    Yes, yes, of course, I know that AoC is so dynamic that every tick of the server will be accompanied by the flight of all game objects through a black hole and their further reassembly into completely unique configurations which makes multiboxing absolutely useless copium
  • Options
    edited December 2023

So why are you even reading the forums? Theres not enough here for you to have any sort of opinion since the game doesnt exist yet.

To bump his thread because he went on about it for three hours in discord. Part of being a civil and active member of the community.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited December 2023

lore wise where? is it ashes lore or general fantasy lore?

what if your a technology freak and you create a device that can build wormholes and teleport people.
    Dryadez wrote: »

I wouldn't mind summoning being something that like a mage whos partially specced into it and it takes valuable resources for the spell. Summoning someone who is on the other side of the world I'd assume is more difficult than shooting a few bolts of lightning. Summoning should not be a casual thing in any game.

When WoW had mass summon/ressurections for guilds it decimated pvp.

what if the summoner archetype could summon people then with a fairly short cooldown? ;) that would make sense and would be worse (more convenient) than family summon.

also wow is a different game with different skills and different rules in pvp.

We also forgot to make a class that can enchant people's equipment!! CRAP WE NAMED A CLASS ENCHANTER AND DIDN"T GIVE IT THE POWER TO ENCHANT GEAR WE EFFED UP!!

enchanter doesnt mean you can enchant gear. maybe you just enchant people with buffs...or they are like sirens and just charm people or something.
    Korela wrote: »
    Absolutely right. I implemented something similar in L2 through accounts with summoners located at key points on the map. I even almost stopped using regular fast travel. Multiboxing (or just alts in some games) allows you to gain an advantage. Summon is an example of a mechanic that scales with the number of accounts (to be fair, in this case there is a limitation in the form of family size and cooldown). AoC is P2W. It cannot be otherwise in a classic MMORPG. If you want to "win", you will have to "pay" thousands of dollars for computers and hundreds of dollars monthly for accounts (probably even for Internet providers, VPNs, etc).
    Yes, yes, of course, I know that AoC is so dynamic that every tick of the server will be accompanied by the flight of all game objects through a black hole and their further reassembly into completely unique configurations which makes multiboxing absolutely useless copium

thats very easy to do in private servers wen you can make free accounts. also you dont even need the summoner to be max level, just level 56. you summon then log off. most people wont pay for a 2nd account
  • Options
    ScarcticScarctic Member
    edited December 2023
    I'm so tired of games these days giving everybody handicaps. I remember one of the best parts about WoW was me and my friends having completely different experiences as different races. If we wanted to quest together.. guess what.. GET HIKING AND CATCH THE BOAT you got an adventure ahead of you, assuming you know where your going. It gave each race a unique feel and an attachment to your homeland... imagine starting out as an elf in the snowy mountain with dwarves, yeah makes alot of sense. As you can tell I'm not even a fan of each race being able to use any divine gateway they want. Tulnar as an exception.

Don't listen to streamers who say things and support things like summoning people. They just want a quick way to 0-100 through the game for their streams. Ignore them for the most part they will always want it to be easier.

No teleporting, no fast traveling all over STOP IT. Stop making the game EASIER we dont want EASIER if we wanted quick and easy we would not be playing MMORPG's. These types of games are suppose to test your patience, your resolve and your wits. Stop dumbing it down to mobile game level IQ friendly.

I will not have much time to play, a few hours most days at best. Guess what? I don't mind traveling the long way around, I don't mind having to go through lengths to meetup with friends. It makes the world feel bigger, it makes it more alive. If i spend an hour of my playtime on traveling through the elements to get to a specific destination, that was an hour well spent. Not "Oh yeah summon pls"

OPs opinion?
    100% YES

Yours also yes in an already established world with factions and race-specific areas,
    but in Verra with that kind of historical background and lore?
    NO!

To reason with Stevens's vision about the whole world as a sandbox for every race and class we need to give them equal rights to go wherever they want. Free choice for each portal.
    We could alter the lore and say that the spirit conduits teleportation only works on their respective racial gateway but that would predict a similar outcome of many months on each server.

And what kind of other player-driven stories do we miss if we restrict them in this way?...

If you want to settle in the lands of your forefathers you can totally do it but to make a race and its racial features predominant you have to organize similar-thinking players, families, and guilds to do that.

I agree with the rest of your points tho.

Streamers don't need summons, they get flooded by their patriotic sect followers anyway...
    We need meaningful traveling without any personal individual teleportation. Only the science node metro gates seem plausible enough if people want it they at least have to fight for it. ^^
    q79i8hmfb0bk.png
  • Options
    from the wiki: "Leaving one family and joining another family will have a cooldown period in the order of days.[1]"

as long as the CD is a week or more before joining a new family, then abusing the travel aspect will be limited since it would really only apply to the 9 players that want to be together
  • Options

Could not have said it better myself.

I think the summoning system, while it may have good intentions, is either a huge miss on their part, or them being afraid to be "too hardcore", and trying to appeal to casuals.

Sad thing is, appealing to casuals might not even make the game better for casuals.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    4- read 1. still have to walk to where you want to summon and do a normal travel. if this is an issue, why u dont complain about scientific nodes teleporting ability? thats probably more op.

A good reason to siege them :smile:
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    I like the idea of Family Summons.

If I know my friend is logging in sometime after 6:00, I can freely adventure when I log in at 4:30.

I don't need to hobble myself to an area so we're close by when he does get on.
  • Options
    pyreal wrote: »
    I like the idea of Family Summons.

If I know my friend is logging in sometime after 6:00, I can freely adventure when I log in at 4:30.

I don't need to hobble myself to an area so we're close by when he does get on.

while this is nice for this specific use, family summoning creates an extremely toxic meta for guilds/alliances. Id rather not have it be a standard that guilds require you to join their chosen family to be in the guild.