Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Family Summons Sucks (And How to Fix The System)

13»

Comments

• Options
    GrappLrGrappLr Member, Alpha One
    One thing I'd like to add: In order for this to not be abused, the family summon stone should only be available at one home node (assuming family members can be citizens of different nodes). Maybe the head of the family's node.
  • Options
    GrappLr wrote: »
    This stone can only be placed once, and once it has been used, a new one has to be gotten from one's home node.

Family members are not restricted to one node. Like guilds, they can have different citizenship.
    So 2 members of a family can act as stone carriers and teleport all others between continents.
    Also players can leave and join another family, to just teleport, if that brings an advantage.
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »
    This stone can only be placed once, and once it has been used, a new one has to be gotten from one's home node.

Family members are not restricted to one node. Like guilds, they can have different citizenship.
    So 2 members of a family can act as stone carriers and teleport all others between continents.
    Also players can leave and join another family, to just teleport, if that brings an advantage.

I covered this (the multiple nodes) in the second post.

As for leaving/joining new family for teleports, this is a non issue, as Steven said that leaving/joining families will be extremely tedious, not worth doing. Probably long cooldowns/costs/whatever.
  • Options
    One thing I'd like to add: In order for this to not be abused, the family summon stone should only be available at one home node (assuming family members can be citizens of different nodes). Maybe the head of the family's node.

Players can leave the family as soon as they were teleported and ready to join another one when they want to teleport back.
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »

Players can leave the family as soon as they were teleported and ready to join another one when they want to teleport back.

I quote: "Leaving one family and joining another family will have a cooldown period in the order of days."

Source: https://youtu.be/KtVUiS7yAHE?t=1h37m27s
  • Options
    TricksterTrickster Member
    edited December 2023
    I'm in favor of the system since I used to play with 3-4 friends, the pvp normally would never happen at the point we teleported but a few minutes later after we try to embush players. in archeage for exemple there were this system and honestly I never seen any kinda of abuse, like dying and teleporting imediatelly to the person of the family or anything, because obviously the TP feature had a huge CD and we would use only to group up BEFORE A PVP, not in the middle of it, and grouping up honestly is something that can be done with or without the familly tp, just makes things a little easier

(Also its just a feature to meet up with your friends easily, not only in case o pvp)
  • Options
    Just put a 3-5 hour CD after you teleported to a family member, done.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited December 2023
    I merged your two threads on Family Summons together. I think this will help facilitate discussions :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    If you keep family summons.

23hr cd.

So if you have a daily group you should always have it available at the same time.

Otherwise good without it.
  • Options
    When in doubt, developers should err on the side of an time/effort-required system.

Convenience and comfort are easy to argue for - but we tend to lack appreciation for them over time. I believe, subconsciously, these type of mechanics, especially if released too early, fast-forward us to an end-game mindset where we can do everything and be anywhere. I think this brings about boredom faster than it needs to. Take it slow. Start on foot. See the world. Burn the calories. Earn extra rewards of fast travel. Slowly introduce them over time. Don't provide them all at launch - that is completely unnecessary.
    Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times. Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
  • Options
    Travel withing your own node or allied nodes should be something you can develop/build/buy. It would be fun if you had to have a regular supplier of mounts to operate the service. Perhaps the ultimate service could be a group summon or portal system.

But you should not have a group summon into enemy territory.
  • Options
    RazThemunRazThemun Member
    edited December 2023
    If the timers were lengthy then I do not see it as much of an issue. Example: You are in a family of 5. You want to game together as a group but are nowhere near each other. So naturally you do a summons. You are now able to be together and set out on your adventure.... however the timer is a 3 hour cool down... therefore for many, you will probably only be able to use it one more time during your gaming session. It is when quick travel is always available or timers are to short that it truly becomes the problem. If people can summon or hearth every 15-30 minutes then that certainly destroys the concept of stepping out into an open world and face the dangers at hand. The same way flying in game does. Intrepid not having flying for a majority of the player base also helps with the issue. A family summons is the least of our worries if they choose to keep it.