Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Family Summons Sucks (And How to Fix The System)

Comments

• Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    pyreal wrote: »
    I like the idea of Family Summons.

If I know my friend is logging in sometime after 6:00, I can freely adventure when I log in at 4:30.

I don't need to hobble myself to an area so we're close by when he does get on.

while this is nice for this specific use, family summoning creates an extremely toxic meta for guilds/alliances. Id rather not have it be a standard that guilds require you to join their chosen family to be in the guild.

just join the guild with your family ?_?
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

If I know my friend is logging in sometime after 6:00, I can freely adventure when I log in at 4:30.

while this is nice for this specific use, family summoning creates an extremely toxic meta for guilds/alliances. Id rather not have it be a standard that guilds require you to join their chosen family to be in the guild.

? you do realize that if guilds are organizing families, they are going to require you to play specific setups. 2 tank 2 heal 1 sup 5 dps for example.

They are not gonna just slap people together, there will be a meta "family comp" that people will start enforcing.

Or we could just not have this mechanic and reduce the toxic meta that it will bring.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    yea I say get rid of family summoning there should be NO teleporting imo
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options

? you do realize that if guilds are organizing families, they are going to require you to play specific setups. 2 tank 2 heal 1 sup 5 dps for example.

They are not gonna just slap people together, there will be a meta "family comp" that people will start enforcing.

Or we could just not have this mechanic and reduce the toxic meta that it will bring.

this is no different from playing in a CP

also whats wrong with a guild asking for specific classes? they dont have to recruit everybody. and not all guilds are like that. if a guild has 1 cleric and 50 rogues for example, they can say "hey we dont want more rogues, we want more clerics" whats wrong with that?

if thats somehow bad to you, because they are excluding people, or saying "play this or you arent welcome", then what about dwarf only guilds or orc only guilds, or crafter only guilds, etc, etc. i dont see you criticizing them.
  • Options

also whats wrong with a guild asking for specific classes? they dont have to recruit everybody. and not all guilds are like that. if a guild has 1 cleric and 50 rogues for example, they can say "hey we dont want more rogues, we want more clerics" whats wrong with that?

if thats somehow bad to you, because they are excluding people, or saying "play this or you arent welcome", then what about dwarf only guilds or orc only guilds, or crafter only guilds, etc, etc. i dont see you criticizing them.

My problem isnt specific case or my choices or anything like that. Its what a system like this does to the mind of players who want to be "serious" about the game.

I see this system creating the exact same type of toxic meta as dps meters did in various other games. There are going to be plenty of different ways to transport your character across the world, and maybe you should slow down a bit if you really want to play with your friends.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options

My problem isnt specific case or my choices or anything like that. Its what a system like this does to the mind of players who want to be "serious" about the game.

I see this system creating the exact same type of toxic meta as dps meters did in various other games. There are going to be plenty of different ways to transport your character across the world, and maybe you should slow down a bit if you really want to play with your friends.

i get what you mean, but if its not this, then very competitive people will organize themselves and do whatever is best anyways. nothing wrong with that.

anyways, speaking of family summons, remember that you still have to walk to the area where you want to summon your family, and you might not even be able to get there alone in many cases.

also, after youve been to an area, you cant really say there is exploration because you already know whats there waiting for you. pherhaps family summon cant be used on someone who hasnt at been to that area at least once on foot.

what i like about this system is that if you are deep inside a cave and the healer dies and you cant res, or someone dies and accidentally goes back to town, or someone has to go resupply, you can just resummon and keep the party going. you have no idea how many times ive had to stop farming after only 2 hours because things like this happened and people werent in the mood to spend 1 hour getting back to the farming spot again.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old

Then don't join a guild that tries to force that, and it won't become the standard. Be pig headed like me.
  • Options
    why u dont complain about scientific nodes teleporting ability? thats probably more op.

I don't like the Sci Node's teleport ability, either.

"No Fast Travel" should mean No Fast Travel.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Think from game design perspective.
    Steven's objective is to provide fun through the risk vs reward and to bring players together.
    If a player has nothing to lose when running toward the team, there is no risk.
    If the family summon is removed, risk should be added to the solo player trying to reach the group.
    But we have no full loot in AoC.

The complaint that family summon is harmful may come from a small group in an area facing another small group, both of them starting to summon their friends and then realizing that one of them runs out of friends and they could have won some fight if such a feature would not exist.
    That is similar to small group vs large group fight (they call it zerg).
  • Options
    I do get it.
    The game is about exclusivity. Now it's not only time, it seems it's also money. It makes sense though, Steven is a rich guy, so for him it's only fair to be able to spend 200 USD a month to get teleport skill. It's only accessible to rich people, people like him.
    Everything else is restricted by play time and organization, but the only thing that could break the game, it' s, oh surprise, gated behind a huge paywall.
    Color me surprised...
  • Options
    GrappLrGrappLr Member, Alpha One
    The big issue, as someone stated above me, is that family summons forces an unfun meta.

Family summons, is literally the best, fastest, most efficient, and safest way to travel. There is no argument here.

Now, what makes it bad? Your family is not in the places you want it to be... Or is it?

Basically, people that want to play optimally, will also have to play family summons optimally, and playing family summons optimally is not fun.

1. Guilds will optimize for it, which makes lots of things less fun.

2. P2W crowd will optimize for it (having 9 alt accounts), which is expensive (and not fun for those that can't afford it).

Look, there are MANY ways to nerf if, to make it less abusable, to make it less p2w, etc. etc. You could have it on a 48 hour cooldown for example (for GODS SAKE, it's at 30minutes atm... wtf?). You could make it so that you need at least 5 family members together, to summon the 6th, 7th, and 8th (meaning 1 person can't summon everyone). You could make it so that *insert nerf here*.

My big point is, why? Why go through all this trouble, for a system that most people feel is a bad system. Simply remove it. Find something else.

And if they decide to have it anyway, might as well add fast travel to game that is more efficient than family summons. Let summoners be able to summon anyone. Let mages be able to open portals and teleport. Just copy the WoW system at this point.
  • Options
    XuriXuri Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    GrappLr wrote: »
    You could have it on a 48 hour cooldown for example (for GODS SAKE, it's at 30minutes atm... wtf?).

Cooldown doesn't matter if all it takes is a swipe of your credit card.
  • Options
    Family summon not good in my opinion. Obvious as to why.
  • Options
    Xuri wrote: »
    You could have it on a 48 hour cooldown for example (for GODS SAKE, it's at 30minutes atm... wtf?).

Cooldown doesn't matter if all it takes is a swipe of your credit card.

you cant have infinite accounts/characters in your family. at some point they might all be on cooldown...
    The big issue, as someone stated above me, is that family summons forces an unfun meta.

Family summons, is literally the best, fastest, most efficient, and safest way to travel. There is no argument here.

Now, what makes it bad? Your family is not in the places you want it to be... Or is it?

Basically, people that want to play optimally, will also have to play family summons optimally, and playing family summons optimally is not fun.

1. Guilds will optimize for it, which makes lots of things less fun.

2. P2W crowd will optimize for it (having 9 alt accounts), which is expensive (and not fun for those that can't afford it).

Look, there are MANY ways to nerf if, to make it less abusable, to make it less p2w, etc. etc. You could have it on a 48 hour cooldown for example (for GODS SAKE, it's at 30minutes atm... wtf?). You could make it so that you need at least 5 family members together, to summon the 6th, 7th, and 8th (meaning 1 person can't summon everyone). You could make it so that *insert nerf here*.

My big point is, why? Why go through all this trouble, for a system that most people feel is a bad system. Simply remove it. Find something else.

And if they decide to have it anyway, might as well add fast travel to game that is more efficient than family summons. Let summoners be able to summon anyone. Let mages be able to open portals and teleport. Just copy the WoW system at this point.

you arent seeing the positives and what the system is intended for

also, why is optimizing not fun? i have fun optimizing stuff. lots of people do too. that subjective. and most guilds wont care as most are casuals. most people will also not pay for multiple accounts.

on top of that, you are forgetting that there are other benefits for being part of a family, for example, access to freeholds.

so you pay for your 9 accounts, good job, but your friends / guild have a freehold and u dont even have access to it because the only people in your family is you.

you could always pay for a 10th account and join their family, but are they really gonna take alts when they could take someone else who can contribute? and if you join with your main account, your other 8 accounts to summon yourself are pointless.
  • Options
    Family summons will just force people into this and will become one of those you things you gotta heave otherwise the game will become a painful experience. This shouldn't exist.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    You definitely have some great points and I understand your stance. As for me, however, I'd like to gauge how this system will actually work in Alpha 2 before I jump on one side of the fence or the other. Although convenience is nice, I do like the old school feel. I do like the thought of needing to get to an area, but having to make the jaunt to do it. I'm completely fine with having an entire play session be traveling to a destination and stopping to smell the roses along the way. It adds realism to my gameplay. At the same time, having a bit of convenience with a system such as family travel will most likely keep a wider audience in the game. Not everyone is like me and ok with long travel times. I don't know, for me, jury's still out on this one. Thanks for bringing this up though, I love seeing other perspectives on these very important systems!
    6i6j1rfdw7pg.png

Kash | Content Creator/Podcaster | Twitter X @KashQuests | Twitch.tv/LoreForgedHQ | LoreForged.com
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Family summons will just force people into this and will become one of those you things you gotta heave otherwise the game will become a painful experience. This shouldn't exist.

so assuming the game doesnt change at all, and u remove family summons, then will the game be a painful experience?
  • Options
    who doesn't think there will be some fast travel shrines in some future update once the game is released and people complain enough about how much game time gets wasted just traveling to do things, over the same routes, over and over and over.....
  • Options
    on top of that, you are forgetting that there are other benefits for being part of a family, for example, access to freeholds.

That's another thing I don't like. If I'm in a guild of 200 players, why would I only let 7 other players use my freehold? I'm in ESO at the moment in a guild of 400, and I happily let any of them use my crafting facilities. I don't only play with the same 7 players every day.
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »
    who doesn't think there will be some fast travel shrines in some future update once the game is released and people complain enough about how much game time gets wasted just traveling to do things, over the same routes, over and over and over.....

lol
    yup :smile:

It's definitely plausible considering how many people already complain about having to fly 30 seconds to a dungeon in other games considering they just took portals to travel across several expansions with a short loading screen too.

gamers these days... :smile:
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

That's another thing I don't like. If I'm in a guild of 200 players, why would I only let 7 other players use my freehold? I'm in ESO at the moment in a guild of 400, and I happily let any of them use my crafting facilities. I don't only play with the same 7 players every day.

well, constant parties benefit from this. remember that they dont want items being introduced too quickly. processing is basically the bottleneck and its done on purpose. they have their reasons. if you could let anyone use ur freehold, the system is pointless then. might as well just let everyone have a fh and max all artisan professions.
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I wonder if it would help to only let people be part of a family or a guild, not both.
    Since it seems they are trying to help casuals, this means guilds cannot take advantage of this system.
    This would also help mitigate the abuse of the family system to teleport many people quickly.
  • Options

well, constant parties benefit from this. remember that they dont want items being introduced too quickly. processing is basically the bottleneck and its done on purpose. they have their reasons. if you could let anyone use ur freehold, the system is pointless then. might as well just let everyone have a fh and max all artisan professions.

But again, if I've put the time, effort, and resources into building up my freehold, why shouldn't I be able to hire it out to others outside my family group? I shouldn't have to keep playing jack-in-the-box with my family group just to hire it out to other players. Defeats the point of having the family group, then.
  • Options

But again, if I've put the time, effort, and resources into building up my freehold, why shouldn't I be able to hire it out to others outside my family group? I shouldn't have to keep playing jack-in-the-box with my family group just to hire it out to other players. Defeats the point of having the family group, then.

can you go into a factory and ask them to let you make your own phone?

also, intrepid has their reasons for not allowing it. they dont want mats added too fast to the game. plus if u let others use it, now u cant use it because of the queue and u gonna be using it so others cant really use it.
  • Options

also, intrepid has their reasons for not allowing it. they dont want mats added too fast to the game. plus if u let others use it, now u cant use it because of the queue and u gonna be using it so others cant really use it.

I bet if I paid them enough, they'd let me do pretty much whatever I wanted.
  • Options

I bet if I paid them enough, they'd let me do pretty much whatever I wanted.

no lol
  • Options
    I wonder if it would help to only let people be part of a family or a guild, not both.
    Since it seems they are trying to help casuals, this means guilds cannot take advantage of this system.
    This would also help mitigate the abuse of the family system to teleport many people quickly.

@Undead Canuck that is what I asked/suggested too but I feel that most on the forum either know or just assume that family and guild will overlap.
    But then I realized that if family members cannot be part of a guild, if you just want to move some epic gear from a continent to the other, for a siege, you can have alts.
    Items in this game are not character or account bound so you can give the items to somebody not in the guild and receive them back on the other side. You can save time and resources because if you want to travel and you are killed, the gear takes durability loss and repair might be costly for the epic gear.
  • Options
    Familiy Summon is a System that is actually game breaking in some ways.
    Ashes talks about immersion and risk v reward traveling through choke points they showed us.
    The Caravan System not even to mention.

You are intended to travel through the lands and a 30min (atm) Familiy Summon will just break all of that.
    You can just wait in the City until your mates have the wanted position and then quickly teleport to them. thats just stupid sorry.

Atleast make it a HUGE cooldown or something like 24h
    uwu
  • Options
    To sum up what I want to say:

Family summon sucks if it is the most efficient, safest way to travel. It sucks even more if this can be abused via P2W (Using alt accounts).

Why does this suck? Because everyone who wants to be efficient, will have to play this "family summon" optimization game. It's a boring thing to optimize around.

Family summons is absolutely fine in a game where fast travel is easily accessible (because then it's just 1 more form of travel). This is not the case with AoC.

TL:DR: It sucks. It would stop sucking if AoC had lots of other fast travel methods (Currently not the plan).
  • Options
    I made a thread about how Family Summons sucks. Can be found here: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/57079/family-summons-sucks#latest

But what's better than bashing on a system that's not out yet (and that I'm sure they'll keep in the game, to at least test it) is giving Intrepid constructive ideas on how to make it viable within their game.

I was talking to Fuppo on the Discord, and here's a cool idea that we came up with (he inspired the idea, this is my take on how I'd personally implement it):

Family summon stone. 1 per family. Anyone in the family can carry this stone. It can be placed on the ground, and it can be used to summon other family members. This stone can only be placed once, and once it has been used, a new one has to be gotten from one's home node. After being placed, the stone will despawn after a certain period of time (say, 10 minutes). To get another stone, have to go to the home node and get one there.

Why is this a good idea:

1. It can't be abused for teleporting back and forth. There is only one stone, which means 1 way teleporting. You can't then teleport back to where you came from. And if you want to teleport somewhere far away, that means someone in your family took the time to pick up the stone, walk all the way over there, and place it.

2. It can't be used unfairly to spread out as a family, search all over the world, find a POI, then all teleport to the person who found said POI.

3. Can't be used effectively to cheese PVP. Only 1 stone per family at a time. Similarly to point #2, not everyone is carrying it, so only the person that carries the stone can summon towards themselves.

4. MOST IMPORTANTLY, it still does exactly what Steven wants it to do. Oh, we want to gather to play with each other at 6PM with our friends? No problem, one person in the family picks up a stone, and carries it around. The time comes that everyone's online, they all teleport to the stone carrier. Problem solved.

This would solve almost every problem I have with the current system (a high abusable system). If you're curious as to why the current system is destined to fail and suck, read the thread in the link mention in the first sentence of this one.