Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

If you really want to make money, you need to implement GIFTING others! :)

NaugrimurNaugrimur Member
edited December 2023 in General Discussion
Yes Intrepid, that´s how you make real money with your item shop. One would and could only buy one item for himself, but one can buy many items for others.
GIFTING will multiply your income.

Just sayn, you should not miss out on that.

Comments

• Options
    you mean someone out there wants to gift me a 375$ package?
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Naugrimur wrote: »
    Yes Intrepid, that´s how you make real money with your item shop. One would and could only buy one item for himself, but one can buy many items for others.

One can also argue it opens an avenue for possible pay to win transactions
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thread moved from Support to General Discussion.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    Hinotori wrote: »

Gifting cosmetic items to other accounts is one of the easiest and simplest Pay-to-Win schemes available. The impact is somewhat limited to gold/gear passing between accounts, not like buying gold from a website, but it can still be used to transfer ingame gold/gear to users with spare RL cash.
  • Options
    As @Caww points out, this is where P2W enters the scene; What's to stop players from trading you something in-game for a "gift" from the cash shop?

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2023
    I don't see a big issue if they allow gifting of preorder packs. But once we get to release, yeah, it'd be an issue.
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »
    Hinotori wrote: »

Gifting cosmetic items to other accounts is one of the easiest and simplest Pay-to-Win schemes available. The impact is somewhat limited to gold/gear passing between accounts, not like buying gold from a website, but it can still be used to transfer ingame gold/gear to users with spare RL cash.

well, whats the difference between you farming 10 hours a day then giving some items to your wife who only plays 2 hours a day? for example. is that okay because its free? i mean...she is making you dinner and doing the dishes and the laundry. if you had to do that you would have less time to play!

what if you are giving items to a girl and she is sending you nudes in exchange?

what if you are playing with a friend and you are giving him items just because?

what if you have a guild and you decide to give an item every week to a random person in the guild, like the winner of a guild event or something?

so the only reason its bad its because someone is spending money?

gifting allow players to buy cosmetics for their friends, for example. i dont see it as a bad thing. you could also hrie mercenaries in exchange for cosmetics instead o fpaying with in game items.

even if you traded cosmetics for in game items, someone had to farm those. if i farm the most powerful sword in the game, and then give it to you for a cosmetic, then guess what? im not using it. there is still only one in the server and it doesnt matter who has it. if im not killing bob with it, then you are.

• Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    ... your wife ...i mean...she is making you dinner and doing the dishes and the laundry.

your wife does dinner, dishes and the laundry ? Damn... you got it sweet....

• Options
    Caww wrote: »
    ... your wife ...i mean...she is making you dinner and doing the dishes and the laundry.

your wife does dinner, dishes and the laundry ? Damn... you got it sweet....

lmaoooo
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Wife confirmed P2W
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Wife confirmed P2W

sounds high maintenance.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Wife confirmed P2W

sounds high maintenance.

Actually quite low. 2 hours downtime on a Thursday for "reset"
  • Options
    Wife confirmed P2W

sounds high maintenance.

Actually quite low. 2 hours downtime on a Thursday for "reset"

lol
  • Options
    well, whats the difference between you farming 10 hours a day then giving some items to your wife who only plays 2 hours a day? for example. is that okay because its free? i mean...she is making you dinner and doing the dishes and the laundry. if you had to do that you would have less time to play!

what if you are giving items to a girl and she is sending you nudes in exchange?

what if you are playing with a friend and you are giving him items just because?

what if you have a guild and you decide to give an item every week to a random person in the guild, like the winner of a guild event or something?

gifting allow players to buy cosmetics for their friends, for example. i dont see it as a bad thing. you could also hrie mercenaries in exchange for cosmetics instead o fpaying with in game items.

even if you traded cosmetics for in game items, someone had to farm those. if i farm the most powerful sword in the game, and then give it to you for a cosmetic, then guess what? im not using it. there is still only one in the server and it doesnt matter who has it. if im not killing bob with it, then you are.

Because what you're describing/alluding to in this is in-game trade; There wasn't real money involved that people can use, as a shortcut to enjoying the fruits of your in-game labor.

• Options

Because what you're describing/alluding to in this is in-game trade; There wasn't real money involved that people can use, as a shortcut to enjoying the fruits of your in-game labor.

there was real life trading for something in game though. thats the point...so as long as its not money, even though it would be the same, you guys say its ok?
  • Options

Probably later in Time - sometime in the Future.

But right now, i wouldn't count on that to happen anytime soon.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    They did hit their $30 million crowd funding goal and then some. Would be a real shame if they didn't continue to allow people to support the game with no box price, a monthly subscription fee and cosmetics. Players can easily just send money directly to someone pay pal account for no reason too as a "gift".
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    The "supporters" essentially just bought cosmetics, store currency and months of subscription in advance for testing access.
  • Options
    They did hit their $30 million crowd funding goal and then some. Would be a real shame if they didn't continue to allow people to support the game with no box price, a monthly subscription fee and cosmetics. Players can easily just send money directly to someone pay pal account for no reason too as a "gift".

The "crowdfunding" portion of Ashes was 3 million, not 30. The pre-order packages sold on the website are not considered crowdfunding by them, and the preorder packages if Steven's quote of 100k people with A2 access in their packages in Jan 2023 is true, they have made way more than that from sales.
    pxo2parq2uxc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2023

The "crowdfunding" portion of Ashes was 3 million, not 30. The pre-order packages sold on the website are not considered crowdfunding by them, and the preorder packages if Steven's quote of 100k people with A2 access in their packages in Jan 2023 is true, they have made way more than that from sales.
    pxo2parq2uxc.png

They definitely are considered crowd funding since the crowd is the supporters funding the development via packages.

I forget which steam it was but they said they reached their goal of 30 million and they have more than 100k alpha 2 testers stating they reached their goal both financially and tester.

I get what you're trying to reference though.
    9nhe2fllax3n.png

ju0ksnamdoie.png
  • Options
    @unknownsystemerror you may be referencing the amount from 2017 from the initial 19k backers when they decided to turn the battle royale into an mmorpg
  • Options
    TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member
    edited December 2023
    there was real life trading for something in game though. thats the point...so as long as its not money, even though it would be the same, you guys say its ok?

....Except the cosmetics we've bought are not trade-able. We ourselves are the only ones who can benefit from our spending IRL money on said cosmetic-only items, thus eliminating P2W.

If you allow exchange of such items, then can't they be traded for in-game currency?

• Options

....Except the cosmetics we've bought are not trade-able. We ourselves are the only ones who can benefit from our spending IRL money on said cosmetic-only items, thus eliminating P2W.

If you allow exchange of such items, then can't they be traded for in-game currency?

what i mean is, someone can give you something irl that isnt money and in exchange, you would give that person an in game item. like a rare sword or whatever. isnt it the same? so the only problem is when that something you are receiving is money?
  • Options
    90 day return policy. Buy the account. Get the item. Then refund the account you bought.
  • Options

what i mean is, someone can give you something irl that isnt money and in exchange, you would give that person an in game item. like a rare sword or whatever. isnt it the same? so the only problem is when that something you are receiving is money?

The problem would be that the RL Money thing would likely be against the Terms And Conditions of the game, whereas your long-suffering wife's household duties are not.

For a company that prides itself on its "No Pay 2 Win" philosophy, gifting just doesn't seem likely.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited December 2023
    daveywavey wrote: »

The problem would be that the RL Money thing would likely be against the Terms And Conditions of the game, whereas your long-suffering wife's household duties are not.

For a company that prides itself on its "No Pay 2 Win" philosophy, gifting just doesn't seem likely.

there is a difference because you are buying a cosmetic inside aoc store and gifting it, which is something that intrepid would allow you to do.

going to some website or paypayling 10 bucks to a dude for an iron sword isnt the same as spending 10 bucks in the store and giving that skin to some dude for an iron sword. you still end up with the iron sword, but intrepid ends up with your 10 bucks, and the other dude ends up with a skin.

the wife example was just an example. i gave another one which is common...girl (or dude pretending to be a girl) sends you nudes and you give her (him) an iron sword. thats trading a real life something for an ingame item. how is that different? but no one addressed it, so i guess now we know who trades like that xD

ok back to being serious. the argument is that you can trade something you get in real life for an in game advantage, or an item or a carry. if its no money, it can be something else. so my question is, why people only complain if its money?
  • Options

Such gifting should be allowed only toward characters who are part on same region and only of things which are account bound.
    Else players where items are cheap would try to sell them to players in countries where they are more expensive.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    What if guilds want to reward their members with cosmetics based on their efforts, contribution, inner guild competitions?

Guess we'll just have to use pay pal for that...
  • Options

If people want to arrange it on their own, then they will - but it's important in-terms of the promise made that the game itself will not support it.

Justify it to yourself however you like. I'm just glad that it won't be in-game.
    What if guilds want to reward their members with cosmetics based on their efforts, contribution, inner guild competitions?

Can't you just craft guild-outfits? Seems far-more economical for a guild, rather than spending $$$ on every member whom checks off a list of accomplishments.

• Options
    edited December 2023

If people want to arrange it on their own, then they will - but it's important in-terms of the promise made that the game itself will not support it.

Justify it to yourself however you like. I'm just glad that it won't be in-game.

Can't you just craft guild-outfits? Seems far-more economical for a guild, rather than spending $$$ on every member whom checks off a list of accomplishments.

nope lol

EDIT:

To be honest, I haven't even considered joining any guilds yet. No point wasting my time until an official release date has been announced and even then... haven't decided if I want to play the game as a solo traveller or not.