Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Fat Sliders, Pompadores, and Green-Leaf....

Am super-excited to get my hands on the character-creator tools.

How liberal do y'all think we'll get to be? I know we're all supposed to be heroes and what-not - but yours truly wouldn't mind seeing some 300+ lbs toons walking around.

Am thinking Homer Simpson and Peter Griffin are about the only fat heroes currently active, in American Society. Shouldn't we be able to be fat, in-game?

Or is fat just not epic?



«13

Comments

  • edited January 12
    I am all for a Petite / Heavy Slider. And Toned / Muscular Slider.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • iirc they did show some girth sliders, which is cool imo because not everyone plays games like this to be a buff knight. some people want to be a fat tavern owner or something. I dont know if you can be majorly obese tho lol since there are probably technical limitations on armor fitting your character.
    3mzetjg924oo.png
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I get the impression that anything you see walking around in real life, you can probably see walking around in game, too: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Character_creator

  • fat sliders but boob sliders is body shaming? lol.

  • edited January 12
    always found it hypocritically ironic that not allowing a boob slider is shaming women who dont have boobs that size yet preventing the options within reasonable limitations is the same as shaming women who do have boobs that size.

    Always found intrepid stance on it comical in that perspective.
  • edited January 12
    fat sliders but boob sliders is body shaming? lol.
    A more appropriate slider name is "Chest". But I understand their reasoning for not wanting this game to be just another generic eastern game that overly sexualizes female characters for no reason at all.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • ChonkersChonkers Member
    edited January 12
    oops
  • edited January 12
    fat sliders but boob sliders is body shaming? lol.
    A more appropriate slider name is "Chest". But I understand their reasoning for not wanting this game to be just another generic eastern game that overly sexualizes female characters for no reason at all.

    wrong

    There is different types of chest shapes and pectoral muscle shapes. Women still have pectorals under their breasts which compose of mammary glands then different types of tissues ranging from fat and fibre glandular.

    Has nothing to do with sexualisation.
  • edited January 12
    fat sliders but boob sliders is body shaming? lol.
    A more appropriate slider name is "Chest". But I understand their reasoning for not wanting this game to be just another generic eastern game that overly sexualizes female characters for no reason at all.

    wrong

    There is different types of chest shapes and pectoral muscle shapes. Women still have pectorals under their breasts which compose of mammary glands then different types of tissues ranging from fat and fibre glandular.

    Has nothing to do with sexualisation.

    What does muscles underneath breast has anything to do with an in-game slider? Unless you're looking to create a female bodybuilder in-game taking Anavar and Test with visible chest muscles, your point makes no sense for a chest area slider for females.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • always found it hypocritically ironic that not allowing a boob slider is shaming women who dont have boobs that size yet preventing the options within reasonable limitations is the same as shaming women who do have boobs that size.

    Always found intrepid stance on it comical in that perspective.

    Isn't it currently IS's position that we *will* have chest-sliders?



  • OrymOrym Member
    I would prefer fairly restricted.

    No weird skin colors like blue,purple,yellow. (Ofc if you are an orc or vek but not dwarf or humans)
    No distorted body shapes, like super disproportionate legs to upper body or super tiny arms.
    No overly obese characters, druid in d4 was maximum fatness I think.
    No dick sliders or huge boobs, thats just weird.

    Why I think it should be fairly restricted is because I don't take the game serious if they are too lenient with it. Feels bad and non immersive otherwise.

    Oh, and I would prefer that each race have a distinct look and can't mimic other races too closely (Like making a vek look like a human for example).
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In the demo, there is a Chest slider. Yes.
  • fat sliders but boob sliders is body shaming? lol.
    A more appropriate slider name is "Chest". But I understand their reasoning for not wanting this game to be just another generic eastern game that overly sexualizes female characters for no reason at all.

    wrong

    There is different types of chest shapes and pectoral muscle shapes. Women still have pectorals under their breasts which compose of mammary glands then different types of tissues ranging from fat and fibre glandular.

    Has nothing to do with sexualisation.

    What does muscles underneath breast has anything to do with an in-game slider? Unless you're looking to create a female bodybuilder in-game taking Anavar and Test with visible chest muscles, your point makes no sense for a chest area slider for females.

    ... you should probably learn more about human anatomy.
  • edited January 12
    always found it hypocritically ironic that not allowing a boob slider is shaming women who dont have boobs that size yet preventing the options within reasonable limitations is the same as shaming women who do have boobs that size.

    Always found intrepid stance on it comical in that perspective.

    Isn't it currently IS's position that we *will* have chest-sliders?




    Just so we're clear and this thread doesn't turn into a bunch of muppets trying to challenge me from the peanut gallery... (not that you are @Tyranthraxus )

    I'm not saying anything negative about sliders or body types. There is many differences and components to a chest from skeletal, muscular, fat, shape etc which is quite different from person to person. Two people of similar body types can do the same exercises , weight amount etc and their developmental results can look quite differently due to things like genetics.

    I was just making the point of how comical it is that Intrepid didn't want "boob" sliders because of body shaming and sexualisation meanwhile the same can be said hypocritically about not allowing it within reason as that can be perceived as the same thing.

    Why I said it has nothing to do with sexualisation. People can see anything as sexual as we are all aware of these days due to the internet.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 12
    I was just making the point of how comical it is that Intrepid didn't want "boob" sliders because of body shaming and sexualisation

    Where are you getting that from though? Did they say that way back when it started? Ever since I really started reading up on things from 2020 or so, it's always been either "no comment" and later on " we'll have boob sliders". And I've seen all the old dev streams too, where it wasn't mentioned either (I think).

  • Nerror wrote: »
    I was just making the point of how comical it is that Intrepid didn't want "boob" sliders because of body shaming and sexualisation

    Where are you getting that from though? Did they say that way back when it started? Ever since I really started reading up on things from 2020 or so, it's always been either "no comment" and later on " we'll have boob sliders". And I've seen all the old dev streams too, where it wasn't mentioned either.

    The threads on these forums and things the dev's had said in video's. I would not make shit up. I've watched them all too. I recall steven mentioning something about it and saying it was something they put into the hands the art team and females in regards to something about being comfortable working on it. Brought up in several "female armor" conversations too.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 12
    Ok. I don't recall ever hearing that from Steven, so maybe it was one of the interviews. I haven't seen them all, especially not if before 2020. Putting it in the hands of the art team and making sure women are comfortable with it just makes sense though. That sounds more like common sense and about trying to avoid the hyper-sexualisation we see in many games. Especially the Asian ones. BDO and Tera comes to mind. ;)
  • edited January 12
    Nerror wrote: »
    Ok. I don't recall ever hearing that from Steven, so maybe it was one of the interviews. I haven't seen them all, especially not if before 2020. Putting it in the hands of the art team and making sure women are comfortable with it just makes sense though. That sounds more like common sense and about trying to avoid the hyper-sexualisation we see in many games. Especially the Asian ones. BDO and Tera comes to mind. ;)

    No worries :smile: , I agree to some extent. Perspectives and opinions are important but that doesn't define that everyone within that category agrees either. It's not one persons opinion that is the sole representation of that category.

    It's why I said the slider should be within reason for that specific option. I never said anything about sexualisation or over-sexualisation until someone decided to jump to that conclusion thinking it was the valid point for the purpose of the post. Though I will point out that it is a high fantasy game and dressing up is the design goal. The looks of armour types and weapons don't really depict anything other than aesthetics for the most part. It's more about the stats and transmogrification/costumes.

    Never said anything about stiletto wearing bikini mages. :wink:
  • Nerror wrote: »
    Ok. I don't recall ever hearing that from Steven, so maybe it was one of the interviews. I haven't seen them all, especially not if before 2020. Putting it in the hands of the art team and making sure women are comfortable with it just makes sense though. That sounds more like common sense and about trying to avoid the hyper-sexualisation we see in many games. Especially the Asian ones. BDO and Tera comes to mind. ;)

    No worries :smile: , I agree to some extent. Perspectives and opinions are important but that doesn't define that everyone within that category agrees either. It's not one persons opinion that is the sole representation of that category.

    It's why I said the slider should be within reason for that specific option. I never said anything about sexualisation or over-sexualisation until someone decided to jump to that conclusion thinking it was the valid point for the purpose of the post. Though I will point out that it is a high fantasy game and dressing up is the design goal. The looks of armour types and weapons don't really depict anything other than aesthetics for the most part. It's more about the stats and transmogrification/costumes.

    Never said anything about stiletto wearing bikini mages. :wink:

    You sound so angry and sassy little one. Count to 10. My mom always says that helps :)
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Nerror wrote: »
    Ok. I don't recall ever hearing that from Steven, so maybe it was one of the interviews. I haven't seen them all, especially not if before 2020. Putting it in the hands of the art team and making sure women are comfortable with it just makes sense though. That sounds more like common sense and about trying to avoid the hyper-sexualisation we see in many games. Especially the Asian ones. BDO and Tera comes to mind. ;)

    No worries :smile: , I agree to some extent. Perspectives and opinions are important but that doesn't define that everyone within that category agrees either. It's not one persons opinion that is the sole representation of that category.

    It's why I said the slider should be within reason for that specific option. I never said anything about sexualisation or over-sexualisation until someone decided to jump to that conclusion thinking it was the valid point for the purpose of the post. Though I will point out that it is a high fantasy game and dressing up is the design goal. The looks of armour types and weapons don't really depict anything other than aesthetics for the most part. It's more about the stats and transmogrification/costumes.

    Never said anything about stiletto wearing bikini mages. :wink:

    You sound so angry little one. Count to 10. My mom always says that helps :)

    Not angry at all.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    To get back on topic, sure, let's get some fat sliders. :smile:

    To what extent depends on what the art team can make look good. All the different armors have to look good and not be weirdly stretched, for example.

    ESlNrmv.jpg
  • edited January 12
    @Nerror the texture stretch would be an issue. But if they have say 3 body type rigs per race/gender, they could balance that out based on slider allowances.

    also, one of the best duo's. Your picture reminded me of it.

    dobdnd228yc0.png
  • @Tyranthraxus I remember in SWTOR, seeing the obese force users acrobatically fly across the map. I believe they had 4 body type frames.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm pretty sure the Chest slider will also accommodate boob adjustment.
    We've also seen a slider for Crotch in the Ashes Character Creator demo, so...
  • Shouldn't we be able to be fat, in-game?

    Or is fat just not epic?

    Some of the best DPS players I've seen have their Orc's character sliders all the way to the right.

    So, heroes can (indeed) be "big-boned".

    From what I've seen of the character creator so far, Ashes should be no different.
  • VyrilVyril Member
    edited January 13
    The limit should be based on disproportionate body types that are technical limitations with armor and in-game races.

    No reason male characters can't be obese or jacked. With all portions of anatomy adjustable. Make them your own fantasy.

    Meanwhile do the same thing with females.

    There is no reasonable or logical excuse why you shouldn't be able to. A decent representation should exist in-game that mimics real world understanding of anatomy, and reflects personal and racial preference.

    Sexualization comes from the person, and or the "style" of the gear/clothes.
  • @Tyranthraxus I remember in SWTOR, seeing the obese force users acrobatically fly across the map. I believe they had 4 body type frames.

    Aye, SWTOR allowed fat-ness, though their character creator is a joke, compared to modern ones.

    Heheh - I still remember a player named "Diabeeto" - whose primary RP was that his blue-skinned Twi'lek with the fat body-type had diabetes.



  • Just so we're clear and this thread doesn't turn into a bunch of muppets trying to challenge me from the peanut gallery...

    Hello friend, muppet here just enjoying some peanuts... Have you considered multiple replies/quotes per post instead of posting multiple times in a row?

    Side note: im willing to share my peanuts~
    04EcQiC.png

  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vyril wrote: »
    The limit should be based on disproportionate body types that are technical limitations with armor and in-game races.

    No reason male characters can't be obese or jacked. With all portions of anatomy adjustable. Make them your own fantasy.
    It's not quite going to be "your own fantasy".
    Verra has distinct player character races - which will limit specific parameters accordingly.
  • DezmerizingDezmerizing Member
    edited January 13
    I am painfully aware of the very vocal minority of people screaming at the top of their lungs when it comes to female characters and sexuality.... But please, Intrepid, for the love of all that is holy, consider the silent majority of female gamers.

    As a woman who has played games during her entire life (speaking for myself and my female gamer friends in this): bring that chest slider!

    Women, like men, comes in all shapes and sizes and it'd be nice to have that reflected in the game. I really do not see the issue in certain people (no matter their irl gender) making female characters with big breasts. Like honestly - who cares?

    And just a fun observation I've made during these years of online gaming: many of the most "sexualized" characters I've ever seen in online games have been the avatars of women. Believe it or not - sexuality is a part of many women's "power fantasy" (as we apparently call it when men play muscular, handsome characters).... A phenomena which is also very easy to notice if you play DnD with women. (And I happen to be doing that as well.)

    ... I mean, don't take my word for it: go into the first BG3 group that you can find and take a look at the modded clothes/styles most women there use. If you can handle the Astarion thirst, that is. xd

    (TL;DR) Point is: sliders for chest areas is all fine. I have never, ever known a female gamer that gets upset with them - quite the opposite, most appreciate the customization option.

    In general - the more sliders the better! (As long as they are within the appropriate body standards for each race!)
    apr6xzdxo10r.png
Sign In or Register to comment.