Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Fat Sliders, Pompadores, and Green-Leaf....

Comments

• Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One

Textures and animations at some point look really bad, if the underlying 3D model differ too much.

In games with character creators, every character works with the same animations. Gamedevs have to come up with reasonable boundary, so it doesnt look cheap and bad.
    Games like LoL can have more diversity since every champion has their own animations.
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    Vyril wrote: »
    The limit should be based on disproportionate body types that are technical limitations with armor and in-game races.

No reason male characters can't be obese or jacked. With all portions of anatomy adjustable. Make them your own fantasy.
    It's not quite going to be "your own fantasy".
    Verra has distinct player character races - which will limit specific parameters accordingly.

I addressed that exactly in my post.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    To get back on topic, sure, let's get some fat sliders. :smile:

To what extent depends on what the art team can make look good. All the different armors have to look good and not be weirdly stretched, for example.

ESlNrmv.jpg

this look like a villain, and not something id wanna play as xD
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    AI pictures are fun :smile:

Ooo5nM4.jpg

This is what the Bing image creator thinks a fat Py'rai looks like: :D
    NNmPayI.jpg

She could be a Tulnar...
  • Options
    @Tyranthraxus I remember in SWTOR, seeing the obese force users acrobatically fly across the map. I believe they had 4 body type frames.

Aye, SWTOR allowed fat-ness, though their character creator is a joke, compared to modern ones.

Heheh - I still remember a player named "Diabeeto" - whose primary RP was that his blue-skinned Twi'lek with the fat body-type had diabetes.

I was picturing twi'lek meatballs too! lol.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    In real life I'm an Ogre. People that round a corner to fast in my direction have a small panic attack when they see me coming. My wife is the classic Jamaican body figure. We both rarely get to see our body types in an MMO. We are just used to it but would be thrilled to play an MMO that we can make something that we identify with.
  • Options
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    In real life I'm an Ogre. People that round a corner to fast in my direction have a small panic attack when they see me coming. My wife is the classic Jamaican body figure. We both rarely get to see our body types in an MMO. We are just used to it but would be thrilled to play an MMO that we can make something that we identify with.

with a px90 you can use your body types in a mmorpg xDDD
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Will the obese characters be required to manage a debuff called diabetes?

Generally, high carb diet = insulin sensitivity = obese.
  • Options
    edited January 15
    pyreal wrote: »
    insulin sensitivity

insulin insensitivity ;)

And sure, why not! Let the non-obese characters deal with a sadness debuff from lack of chocolate to balance it out.
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    edited January 21
    I know we're all supposed to be heroes and what-not

I don't think that is the case at all. The lore I am aware of actually points towards us just being a bunch of random people released back into the world of our ancestors, with no particular task attached to it, other than a memo saying "you can live here again.". In fact it seems to me that we are - ironically - going to enter Verra at the beginning of the GOOD times, not when the world is in turmoil and needs heroes, but the times when the Gods finally banished the danger of the Others and it is SAFE for us to return.
    The whole scenario basically spells to me: We are absolutely NOT heroes, we are the normies who hid in the bomb shelter and waited XD

And with all that said, I'll get to your actual question:

In context of us returning to the world at peace times from a peaceful shelter, I think it would make perfect sense that we could also be fat. That being said: Since Steven said that he wants the game to feel "realistic" I think it might make sense to cap fatness with stats and when these stats rise, you automatically lose weight. Because it would be very weird to have a 400lbs Bladedancer or Duelist with high dexterity and strength move around the battlefield like a feather dances in the wind. I think that would look as "false" as the oversized weapons that were ruled out. That would lead to chubby mages, bards or clerics being possible at all levels but not on highly mobile classes - and I think that is quite an interesting addition to flavor, to have stats be slightly representative in your character model.

For the mentioned chest sliders: I could see those being a thing again, within the "normal" range, probably capping the size based on certain stats and realism. A ranger with two medicine ball stuck on her front, won't be able to use a bow effectively or doing flips and sh!t like that is not an issue. So within a reasonable range, I see no issue with a chest slider. Heck, maybe even allow female rangers to have only one side of their chest "bigger" as a flavor option. (I think this being a thing in Earths past has been proven to be false, they just tightly wrapped them close to their body, but still)

I think it would be nice to have a "Stocky - Slender" slider.
    And I very much hope that, while we won't be able to transfer our characters completely, that we can at least export the basic characters look to the launch version.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    We've also seen a slider for Crotch in the Ashes Character Creator demo, so...

Haha yeah, it's funny how so many people overlook this one cos they're in such a rush to get offended by the boobie-slider! :D

The more sliders the better!!!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Isn't the idea of character creation self expression? Either you want something that looks like you a bit relatable, or lets you fit an ideal role or fantasy in your head.

I agree that while we might not necessarily expect morbidly obese looking characters, have someone looking overweight and "fluffy" - think of the Sea of Thieves larger pirates?

1zybckmz2l29.png

If I want to roleplay as a fisherman who just lounges around on the boat waiting for the big haul, might as well open those kind of options up!
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I want to play a Ren'Kai mage. I'd prefer my character to look more like a scholar than a powerlifter. So sliders for girth and musculature would be great.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    I want to play a Ren'Kai mage. I'd prefer my character to look more like a scholar than a powerlifter. So sliders for girth and musculature would be great.

hey! scholars can go to the gym too and be fit!
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Depraved wrote: »
    It should be possible to choose to look like a villain.
    You don't have to look like a villain if you don't want to.
  • Options

what does a villain look like? lol
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Old Disney or New Disney?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options

Like *ME*. People treat me like it, anyways.

What was the last time a store-clerk rang you out, without using their middle-finger, bud? Because I can't recall the last time.

Awesome hair + clothes without holes = being treated like an A-hole.

I can only imagine Steven + John walking into a convenience store in *TEXAS*. "Really? You guys wanna buy anything except the artisianal cheese + foreign crackers?"

Hmm.... Thanks for the equal-treatment....

• Options

Um.... Do you have something against STYLE?

Seems like a cool dude, to me....

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Three...

• Options
    Three...

i dont get the reference if there is one.
  • Options
    I am going other way around. Tall and lanky elf Jack Skellington/Dancer of the Boreal Valley type of nightmarish knight.
  • Options
    Yenn0war wrote: »
    I am going other way around. Tall and lanky elf Jack Skellington/Dancer of the Boreal Valley type of nightmarish knight.

Getting the Divinity Original Sin vibes here.....
    lizhctbms6kg.png
  • Options
    I have never seen a fat elf before.
  • Options
    Chonkers wrote: »

d6yz9qk-8dcbc98b-8863-4790-8452-f365392b5457.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpc3MiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwic3ViIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTpmaWxlLmRvd25sb2FkIl0sIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiIvZi9lMmI3Y2EzOC1kOTE2LTQzNGYtYWZjYS1hODQ0Y2RhYTA0MWMvZDZ5ejlxay04ZGNiYzk4Yi04ODYzLTQ3OTAtODQ1Mi1mMzY1MzkyYjU0NTcucG5nIn1dXX0.nGr4vJp96isJA1gMBd34ba9TzhxRAVQlMyYMOVcL4FI

You're welcome.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited January 19
    Wow, that was bigger than I expected it to be...

I suppose, it is a "fat elf", not a "small elf".
  • Options
    Who puts beef fat patties in their sliders instead of ground beef in their sliders? :o
  • Options
    edited January 21
    Chonkers wrote: »

That reminds me of the elf maiden Tacobell from The Noob comic. She doesn't appear until book 3 I think, but it's well worth the read for us MMORPG nerds from the start: http://thenoobcomic.com/archives/ ;)
  • Options
    I absolutely want to see ~300+ pounds albeit specifically if it still "makes sense" so a scaled back max weight based on height, but absolutely I would love to see some built mofo's walking around.

Like Eddie Hall, he is 362 pounds at 6'2, chunky monkey but its also loads of muscle.
    So Ren'Kai should have a max weight closer to ~500 pounds being they are 7'+ tall