Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Arena Thread

124»

Comments

• Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    edited April 10
    Xeeg wrote: »
    I don't think arenas should be for regular characters. Regular characters should do their pvp content in Verra with caravans, guild wars, node seiges, PKing, etc.

Arenas should be an instanced, ranked system where you enter and become max level with all available game buffs to choose from. You should be able to save and create loadouts for gear/secondary archetype/buffs, so you can quickly pick a loadout to suit the arena match.

Systems like Ranked Arenas only work if everyone is entering on an equal playing field. If people have better gear or better characters then it isn't a test of skill, it's a test of in game character progression. That's what the world pvp is for. Arenas are for pvp skill and build competitions, not character progress competitions.

Another side benefit (apart from 100% fair pvp), is that players can use arenas to test builds that they can work towards with their main characters in the world. This allows the arenas to serve multiple functions for the player base, while keeping the world of Verra somewhat separate from the instanced Arenas.

Mostly agree with everything here, I wouldn’t mind opening up to the idea that you use your character and hard earned gear to compete, Ive single handedly experienced beating players with better gear with the use of skill to stay competitive. As long as there is some sort of gear cap say (gear score of 2000) and anything after that is obsolete in the Arena, this prevents the hardcore PvErs who have the better gear and gives the rest of the players a chance to catch up on par eventually making it an evenly matched season

Secondly, I would say it also opens up the game to be experienced and therefore gives players a sense of earning to participate in the Arena, instead of just hitting maximum level and queing straight in. A sense of achievement that they’re ready to compete and start climbing the leaderboard

If we put all that aside and say just discuss E-Sports or an Arena tournament, then yes
    It should be a private server with up to 3x max level characters and gear to choose from (seperate to your actual in game character) to compete for the trophy, a special event that only runs for a few weeks. I was fortunate enough to compete in WoW’s third annual 3v3 Arena Tournament Blizzcon held back in 2010 and that was an awesome experience to be apart of.

(Mind you the prize pool back then was $250,000 for 1st place)
    It’s now closer to a million dollars with the same WoW Tournament currently running annually
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    i disagree with that type of arenas, at least in aoc. for other games that separate pvp and pve? sure, bu not for aoc.

this would be the equivalent of a full pve instances progression path, basically, you are incentivizing people to not be in the open world and just be in an instance 24/7. ashes needs people to be in the open world for the game to work.

on top of that, everybody having the same stats or gear in an arena, doesn't mean its fair. for example, some classes might to stack a certain stat to be good so they will be trash in the arena because they cant do that..and some other classes will be too powerful, like a tank who now has the same attack as a dps.

the only way it would work is if everybody gets every piece of gear available in the game to use in the arena, but then people would not be out in the open ;-;
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    edited April 10
    Depraved wrote: »
    i disagree with that type of arenas, at least in aoc. for other games that separate pvp and pve? sure, bu not for aoc.

this would be the equivalent of a full pve instances progression path, basically, you are incentivizing people to not be in the open world and just be in an instance 24/7. ashes needs people to be in the open world for the game to work.

on top of that, everybody having the same stats or gear in an arena, doesn't mean its fair. for example, some classes might to stack a certain stat to be good so they will be trash in the arena because they cant do that..and some other classes will be too powerful, like a tank who now has the same attack as a dps.

the only way it would work is if everybody gets every piece of gear available in the game to use in the arena, but then people would not be out in the open ;-;

If you have read any of this thread other than just this page you will see your wrong
    Its 1v1, 3v3 & 5v5 Arena is already confirmed in the game.
    There’s also confirmed PvE instanced scenarios in AoC as-well

Hence, why I already wrote in order to compete you need keep earning gear to remain viable to continue participating,
    Every game needs some sort of end game competitive scenario with a high skill gap to encourage players to sharpen there skills, otherwise it gets boring
    Should play the MMO the way YOU want to play it, and so far AoC has supplied that opportunity with its variety of confirmed end game content

Also, please get out of your head that Arena is just spammed 24/7, because it really isn’t otherwise you will start dropping on the ladder.
    You always have to go out and grind content to keep yourself going forward (continuously experiencing everything the game has to offer) so that you also remain viable to climb the ladder, then when your team is on and ready you que

I will forever be an advocate for
    Skill > Gear
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    Pyrolol wrote: »

If you have read any of this thread other than just this page you will see your wrong
    Its 1v1, 3v3 & 5v5 Arena is already confirmed in the game.
    There’s also confirmed PvE instanced scenarios in AoC as-well

Hence, why I already wrote in order to compete you need keep earning gear to remain viable to continue participating,
    Every game needs some sort of end game competitive scenario with a high skill gap to encourage players to sharpen there skills, otherwise it gets boring
    Should play the MMO the way YOU want to play it, and so far AoC has supplied that opportunity with its variety of confirmed end game content

Also, please get out of your head that Arena is just spammed 24/7, because it really isn’t
    You always have to go out and grind content to keep yourself going forward and remaining viable to climb the ladder, then when your team is on and ready you que

I will forever be an advocate for
    Skill > Gear

I already knew there was going to be an arena, but neither steven nor the wiki stated that it was going to be equalized. and yes, some instances are confirmed (20%) but we don't know if there will be restrictions or not. also, some dungeons will have opposing parties trying to compete for the final dungeon boss, so the instances wont be purely pve.

you are also contradicting yourself. if you don't need open world character progression to climb in the arena, why would you NEEd to do open world character progression if you are an arena player? don't need to grind, just do arena 24/7 and you are taking a slot of a player who could be out in the world doing stuff for everybody, contributing with the economy, etc. if there was no population limit, then sure go for it.

you also didn't get my point. if you remove gear form arena, it ruins some classes and makes some others way too strong. imagine a rogue who has a lot of in built critical damage, but for him to be viable he needs to invest in critical chance gear and get 50% or higher, so he needs to farm. if you remove that, he wont be very good (lets say everyone has a max crit rate of 10% in the arena). that's why I said all gear should be available then, so people can build however they want.

also, I don't know why people make the argument of skill > gear, when clearly stats are very important. why would pro players pick whatever is the strongest during that month? pro tournament players basically switch characters every month when things get nerfed / buffed. stats clearly matter (gear is stats).

if you think its unfair that people beat you because they have better gear, do you think its also unfair that they beat you because they were born 20 years after you? if the game had existed 20 years before you wouldn't have had this problem. you cant base the outcome of a fight solely in one aspect of the game (either skill or stats / gear). if you do so, the game becomes unfair. you several factors to affect the outcome of the battle to make it fair.

also, players in aoc could just both get the same gear then compete in a non equalized arena. characters cant progress infinitely. get your items then join the arena and then you will be in equal footing as everyone else who got their items too. no skipping farm.

• Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    That’s not at all what I wrote, please re read and try again 🤦🏻‍♂️
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited April 10
    It should be a private server with up to 3x max level characters and gear to choose from (seperate to your actual in game character)

huh? you don't want the farm to be skipped? its hard to read you because you contradict yourself.

if you want the stats to be given to you for the tournaments or the arena, then why did you also say that you need to do ow pvp to be relevant in the arena. this is a contradiction ?_? you either need to farm the gear or you don't...
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    edited April 10
    I literally wrote you have to use your main character? I don’t know where you reading that i said you can’t keep playing the game to better get gear

There’s seasons (6 monthly) already confirmed so this counters your 20years argument, so therefore catch up mechanics is in place

If your basing pro players off recent WoW then yes, have you seen what else has changed? You can literally buy a max level character on WoW for $27, you couldn’t do that back in the day when WoW Arena first came out

What you did was run different compositions, and different talent tree specs, this was evident from WoW 2007 - 2014 (before character boost was available) considering there’s 64 classes in this game I highly doubt that it will be “pro players” swapping out since there will be so many compositions available

I don’t know which Pro Players you are talking about but there was quite a few different compositions that were played in most of the WoW Arena Tournaments as well
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    edited April 10
    It should be a private server with up to 3x max level characters and gear to choose from (seperate to your actual in game character)

huh? you don't want the farm to be skipped? its hard to read you because you contradict yourself.

if you want the stats to be given to you for the tournaments or the arena, then why did you also say that you need to do ow pvp to be relevant in the arena. this is a contradiction ?_? you either need to farm the gear or you don't...

Yes for an E-Sports event
    Thats nothing to do with the game????
    E-Sports Arena Tournament is an annual special event that’s completely seperate
    Where the best players compete in a championship

Where’s the contradiction?
    If we put all that aside and say just discuss E-Sports or an Arena tournament
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options

i thought you meant regular ranked arenas when you said arena tournament, as in a tournament like the l2 olys, since you said e sports or arenas, so you would get the gear given to you in both cases.
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member

i thought you meant regular ranked arenas when you said arena tournament, as in a tournament like the l2 olys, since you said e sports or arenas, so you would get the gear given to you in both cases.

Not regular ranked Arenas,
    I was in Blizzcons Arena Tournament
    Its completely separate to the game and only runs for a few weeks
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    I’ve been playing MMO’s since 2006, have met countless people in my time all across the globe 🌏. I am yet to find even just one person who just sits there and ques Arena or just ques Dungeons 24/7. Dailies are needed to make gold, and gold is pretty much essential for everything. So there’s one reason there or even boredom of doing something repetitive for so long but ya get my point haha.
    Again, Not. One. Person.
    j2p8mdmovgu9.jpg
  • Options
    I’ve been playing MMO’s since 2006, have met countless people in my time all across the globe 🌏. I am yet to find even just one person who just sits there and ques Arena or just ques Dungeons 24/7. Dailies are needed to make gold, and gold is pretty much essential for everything. So there’s one reason there or even boredom of doing something repetitive for so long but ya get my point haha.
    Again, Not. One. Person.

well I used to queue up for lost ark arenas 24/7 and ignored pve...not at first though. also did it in wow (only in mop tho). etc etc.

anyways not all games have dailies, and if you are only interested in arenas and not farming gear, why would you farm gear and not do arenas?
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    edited April 10
    Again, Not. One. Person.

well I used to queue up for lost ark arenas 24/7 and ignored pve...not at first though. also did it in wow (only in mop tho). etc etc.

anyways not all games have dailies, and if you are only interested in arenas and not farming gear, why would you farm gear and not do arenas?

Surely if you played WoW you know you had to continually keep upgrading gear in order to climb the ladder throughout the season, you had to get money to get enchants, farm gems, reputation gains (from questing & dungeons) to unlock recipes to craft better items, or farm borrowed powers from challenges to make a legendary, get renown to make the BIS weapon (used for both PvE & PvP), there was farming matts to be able to create a unique piece for your class.
    There was plenty to do to be able to stay viable to compete or you would fall behind…

Almost every MMO has some sort of daily or weekly that rewards with currency this is essential for the games economy,
    in AoC Arena you don’t get gear upgrades
    So what does that mean? Have to venture out to Vera bro

EDIT: if no teams are queing at off peak times who are you versing 24/7?
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    NightmarelolNightmarelol Member
    edited April 11

As Pyro^ stated above, I’ll eloborate on both

- Every single MMO has Dailies or some sort of currency making scheme to ensure the economy within the game is flowing. If we are REALLY that adamant about it then I’ll rephrase and say anything to do in game with making gold or money since that is essential for enchants / gems on any new gear etc

- Queing Arena with poor or low tier gear is quite silly so farming gear to do then do arenas is obviously essential. I think we can both agree on that. However, I’ll say most MMOs (WoW / ESO / Tera) I’ll even add Lost Ark here, has buffs / nerfs through an Arena / Raiding season. When this happens your certain team composition you were running is no longer as strong or viable. When this happens you’ll need to farm gear again whether it’s taking on new stats for a different build or different spec or anything. So once again we venturing out to Vera to again farm gear for an ever shifting, ever changing Arena / Raiding season.

- Alternate characters: Ok so we are here now, and for whatever reason we are not enjoying this specific Arena team comp, not enjoying this spec, or Raiding with this particular spec + build isn’t really hitting that sweet spot. Out to Vera we go, we are now farming gear/gems/enchants/mats/stats specific items/reputations for our alternate characters to use in Arena or Raiding. Once over one more time now, what if we want to try a different spec on this alternate character?

- Archetypes: Same as above, as Steven Sharif has stated, picking your Archetype for your Class will be a grindy business, and then if you want to swap out to a different Archetype it’ll take over 1-2 months of just grinding to get that maxed out after swapping over.
    *Now, let’s say we are in Arena, buffs and nerfs have come through on specific classes or archetype and we want to roll a different archetype*
    Then having to venture out yet another round into Vera to grind and change this archetype that we once loved so much to the new meta or even something different to try out in Arena and/or Raiding.

***These are just a few examples mixed and matched with each other of why we, PvP focused players will need to do in order to stay ahead of the leaderboard, or the Arena Curve rendering sitting there and “queing Arena 24/7” quite useless. I myself would love to venture out and try new builds new specs and new archetypes so will love having access to both aspects of the game. Kudos to AOC for heading in the PvX direction MMOs needed to head in, hand in hand PvE with PvP. 🫱🏼‍🫲🏽 ***
    j2p8mdmovgu9.jpg
  • Options
    RidielRidiel Member
    I prefer game design where arena success is something which is a proof of your quality in general pvp and pve gameplay ie:

1. No equipment restrictions therefore even effective pve gameplay is rewarded in arenas
    2. Categories which represent open world encounters so 1v1 and gvg (8v8) should be present
    3. There should be lvl categories so you can participate meaningfully earlier than in late game.
    4. Rewards in Titels and effects which are visible so you are seen as successfull on first glance (like hero auras in L2)
    5. Some forms of benefits for the power of the Victor in open world pvp and pve which incetivize you to try but are not too overpowered (like hero skills in L2 but somewhat less powerful)

Such design makes it so that you cannot simply play only arenas and make success in arenas unreachable for regular players who play all aspects of the game. If you only like arenas go play esports. (there may be esport spinoff if the combat design proofs to be such a success)

Irregular cross server arena events to find the best of the best where server leaders compete (like some form of champions league) for the prestige only could be nice but not part of basic gameplay design.
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    Could at least have read some of this thread but let’s do the broken record dance shall we

1. Pve restrictions is what helps stop the hardcores from dominating the Arena, hence why most games not only have ranking system to differentiate skill but a hard gear-cap to stop the over abuse and pull it down more to skill. Please google “gear score cap” if you don’t understand, this creates more balance to the gear over the course of a season giving players a chance to catch up and create a more even playing field

2. The Arena is meant for an alternative type of gameplay from open world (hordes v hordes) of people cluster attacking each other

(Refer to previous pages to see more reasons why)

1v1 is already confirmed though so is 3v3 and 5v5, the most popular in almost every game and game genre offering a ranked competitive game mode. It's not only the most convenient way of playing, it keeps a healthy balance of team compositions & numbers in the Arena bracket, considering how much AoC has to offer in this game and end game content the Arena would be minimal teams if you add that big of a bracket and a chaotic mess in game steering away from individual skill and more hiding behind others type of gameplay (also already offered in the mass numbers of game modes available) a 3v3 instanced game mode is to offer something different (already said here multiple times here)

3. Ranked mode should always be maximum level, otherwise the brackets will be diminished, I could go into anti cheats (let’s just say low level accounts using hacks, scripts, botting to abuse these ranked modes) but that’s another can of worms
    Having max levelled Arenas offers players to experience the entirety the game has to offer, a better understanding of game mechanics and class designs before choosing to enter the Arena and get into a high skill cap competitive leaderboard

4. Agreed, titles are already offered https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Arenas
    Wouldn’t mind throwing in a unique seasonal armoured mount to give more incentive but thats up to the devs to consider

5. If you are trying to unbalance the Arena, then having outside influence, buffs or perks is how you do it.
    Ridiel wrote: »
    Such design makes it so that you cannot simply play only arenas and make success in arenas unreachable for regular players who play all aspects of the game. If you only like arenas go play esports. (there may be esport spinoff if the combat design proofs to be such a success)

- Very unfair statement, yet to see how the current in game designs, having an Arena team won’t let you experience everything about the game and compete when your team logs on (other than 1v1), better gear, gems, enchantments etc to progress and stay relevant and push higher rating

- Cross realm should always be available to keep players from versing the (same ol team) that might counter then and instead open up different types of game play to counter different team comps

rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    LineagerLineager Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Arenas need good seasonal rewards. It would also be nice if there was an opportunity to bet on fights. But I am not sure about the legislation of many countries whether they will ban AoС for this reason. But, in Albion Online you can place bets between players in duels and no one banning this game.
  • Options
    LloydLloyd Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Basically things I was thinking of, but definitely should add game-modes like Capture the Flag, Strongholds, Protect the King, etc. based on map regions with specific map designs in certain regions/biomes of Verra that match the season in-game.
    cevs5u9i2f1s.png
    _____________________________________________________________________________________
    Current Member of the Gray Sentinels.
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    edited April 17
    Lloyd wrote: »
    Basically things I was thinking of, but definitely should add game-modes like Capture the Flag, Strongholds, Protect the King, etc. based on map regions with specific map designs in certain regions/biomes of Verra that match the season in-game.

No need to complicate it, just keep it simple
    2 teams enter, 1 team walks out
    What you described sounds more like a battleground then a ranked Arena mode

j1hpwyiso7w2.gif

rvid9f6vp7vl.png