Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why did you stop to play an MMO you once loved?

124»

Comments

• Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Q: Why did you stop to play an MMO you once loved?
    A: L2 > The server numbers got lower overall, there were only the long term players, it was too much of a climb and duration for new players to catchup to enjoy time with the veteran players.. and players started to try out new games..
    B: ESO > Became a grind and more an individual game without so much purpose
    C: Conan > Lack of players
    D: BDO > The grind and lack of need to play with other people so much
    E: New World > Still play, but feels like a solo game with pug group play.. not much need, want or benefit from being in a guild or community
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 5
    Ashes of Creation`s nodal system and sheer large population caps hopefully cultivates vibrant community hubs, mitigating the issue of server decline.

In theory, the nodes (hubs) should create bustling social spaces and activities, reducing the risk of servers feeling deserted as populations fluctuate as these will be a scaling number of centralizing activity points.
    Hope that when a server gets lower, that with less overall nodes but the ones remaining still populus.

Moreover, the game's adaptive scaling mechanism appears to ensure that regardless of server size, players can always find areas that match their preferred level of activity and engagement. This dynamic approach mimics real-world population dynamics, allowing players to experience everything from bustling metropolises to serene countryside retreats and everywhere in-between within the game world.

I see this also hopefully working for those that are pvp centric and those pvp adverse. Distant nodes likely different in personality.

By prioritizing community building and adaptability, Ashes of Creation hopefully provides a more sustainable and engaging MMO experience than what is on the market at the moment, that evolves alongside its player base, evolving a world that always feels alive and full of opportunities.

Should that be so, then:
    • Hopefully, new players can find these nodes easily and be welcomed in somehow
    • There is sufficient reason and activity to stay with any given node
    • The node local and size can change its personality
    • Hope that the sweet spot between change and stability is found in nodal status such that players stay invested and interested

• Options
    SinceBurfSinceBurf Member
    Man it hurts to say it now but ESO was my baby. I played Skyrim and always yearned for a bit of multiplayer in it and wouldn't you have it ESO was released. I played for nearly 9 years religiously I joined major Guilds and was known by many as a dangerous person to come across on the battlefield on the EP side of the fight. Unfortunately the thing that killed the game for me and many others that had played ESO since release was animation canceling. It absolutely ruined the game. Most of my buddies/guildmates who had played since release found this feature terrible. We learned to do it and hated ourselves because of it. It made the game easy. Although animation canceling mostly ruined the game I feel it was minor changes like the pay wall for certain quality of life items in game that played a roll as well. It's like companies get greedy when they see a game doing well and then just think of ways to get more money. It makes no sense and I hate feeling like I'm being forced to buy something in a game that I'm interested in. I can confidently say most gamers that are hooked on a game are more than willing to buy cosmetic items just because they are cool in order to support the game we love.
  • Options
    willsummonwillsummon Member
    edited May 6
    The main reason I left.

Endgame issues. Mainly a situation where I am a part of a guild. I help the guild level and get gear, then when the guild reaches around the second or third to top tier in endgame, I am cut off and told to take a hike so they can bring their close friends that have not be doing the heavy lifting.

The one thing I like about the achievement system is I can show my experience and that I have walked the walk, no matter how many former guildies bad mouth me.
  • Options
    SpudzSpudz Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Like many of us, I've played a range of MMOs, and played, taken breaks, or stopped completely.

Runescape - I did many of the quests, reached high-ish skill levels. I quit as it felt like my time wasn't respected, and the best way to progress was pay to win. The time to progress balance was great a low levels, and diminished at higher.

New World - I quit at lvl 59, when majority of the Territories at high level were owned by other factions. They purposely didn't put missions up to replenish their Town Board. There were no alternate quests, and grinding was the only options. It immediate sucked the fun out of it for me, I logged out and never returned.

Retail WOW - I'm on a break at the moment, but largely the hamster wheel grinding of M+ and Raiding has now gotten old. New content, new item levels, near gearing, all to be wiped for a rinse repeat. It's fun when new, but gets old quickly. Also I enjoy open world content, which is generally limited to more so Rep grinds.

ESO/Guild Wars - Hit max level/did the story, found it a bit hard to get into group content. This one's more so on me, but as a newbie to these games, the systems were a little overwhelming. I'll revisit at some stage.

Final Fantasy - the MSQ felt like a chore, with mainly dialogue quests and limited combat. It was a nice distraction for a while.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    Keep in mind- by actual law, a publically traded company serves a single purpose; making money for it's shareholders.

Well aware of that, Noaani.

It is just - > after like +Ten Years of watching different Video Game Companies do all the same -> meaning changing the Game and/or the Terms of Service, or Rules, or whatever you would call it,

to the Extent that People can call it " under false pretenses " - > resulting in most of the Gamerbase leaving and then the Game dies an ugly, slow Death,

it is just that this gets SOOOO. OOOLLLD. and tedious to watch. I am so goddamn tired to see the same shit repeating itself over and over again.
    And while it is not all Video Games but just a handful of them which actually did that,
    ( including Planetside II ),

it gets REALLY OLD real fast, if this happens to One or several Videogames you actually enjoyed playing a lot. When you actually get your Fun ruined for good, only because a few Developers can't get the Greed-Stick out of their Asses,

it hurts a lot. And that Trust is never coming back. You are usually done then with the Company for good. I advise Everyone involved to keep a healthy Grudge as in never spending Money again to the Companies concerned.

I mean - > sure, if People WANT to get taken the piss on and getting exploited for their Money and swindled into buying a Product that is in the End completely different than what they paid for,

then People can do that. Everyone is free to get scammed willingly. (lol)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited May 6
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    to the Extent that People can call it " under false pretenses " - > resulting in most of the Gamerbase leaving and then the Game dies an ugly, slow Death,

Keep in mind - the game you are primarily complaining about has now been live for 10 years, and has an anual revenue of eight million dollars from 200k monthly users (as of 2020).

The game did not die that ugly, slow death you are talking about.

All the changes that you are complaining about did was make you not play it, many others still do.

Sure, you are tired of it happening - but that is literally the nature of online games; they change over time. You complain that they change, others complain that they do not.

At the end of the day, it is the function of the company that makes/publishes the games in question to make money. If a change to the game is what they think will make the most money, then that is what will happen.
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    When you actually get your Fun ruined for good, only because a few Developers can't get the Greed-Stick out of their Asses
    You started your post off by saying you understand, and yet here are illustrating that you do not understand.

As far as I am concerned, you are more than welcome to be angry, sad, upset, pissed off - what ever - about the things you are talking about, even if the games you are talking about never had that death you claim.

However, if you are going to have any of the above emotions, be sure and know whose fault they are. They are not the fault of game developers - many of them are doing what is required of them to keep their job, and may hate the changes even more than you do. It is not the fault of their bosses either - they are in the same situation.

It is also not the fault of the CEO of the company, they have that legal obligation to make as much money as they can.

The fault lies in shareholders. Blame them when you rant about it, not developers.

Also, people aren't getting scammed - at least not by the companies in question. If you go in to any service assuming it will be the same forever, an argument could be made that you are scamming yourself. It is a part of the agreement of every online game I have played that the gameplay experience may change - so the developers changing the gameplay experience is not them scamming you.

Again, keep that in mind with your next rant about this - them doing something they said they may do is not them scamming you.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    Keep in mind - the game you are primarily complaining about has now been live for 10 years, and has an anual revenue of eight million dollars from 200k monthly users (as of 2020).

The game did not die that ugly, slow death you are talking about.

" Yet ".

The Game i mean (Planetside II) has not died "yet". It is however barely more than a Corpse, when the Servers are so empty that the Games' System doesn't even unlock the full Continent/s on which the Players are on.

Sure, you are tired of it happening - but that is literally the nature of online games; they change over time. You complain that they change, others complain that they do not.

Is getting scammed also "just the Nature of online games" ?
    Because i know not all VideoGame Developers change their Game into a different Product after Release and after cashing in nice Customer-Purchases. ;)

At the end of the day, it is the function of the company that makes/publishes the games in question to make money. If a change to the game is what they think will make the most money, then that is what will happen.

Even if it means losing Trust of Customers forever which they threw under the Bus, huh ? I mean, okay. You are right. I am not even trying to argue against this. People can do with their Games they developed whatever they want.

Just hoping over here that VideoGamers will not forget it, when being taken the piss on like nothing else. For Example, apparently "Helldivers II" has done something very similar - just in another way.

Could be that "PC"-Gamer will remember this Company which made the Game. And not in a good way. :D
    a50whcz343yn.png