Is no one else disappointed that "Persistent Alpha" AKA 24/7 Alpha 2 access isn't until May 2025?

Comments

• KingRajeshKingRajesh Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    KingRajesh wrote: »
    Drewski wrote: »
    I also take Steven seriously

Steven literally told us that Alpha 2 would be up 24/7 (see direct video evidence in the top post) and that's no longer the case unless "Alpha 2" really starts in May 2025...
    I find it curious so many people get upset they have a chance to take part in the project at this stage at all.

I'm upset about the behavior from Steven. All they had to do was say something like:

"Hey, we promised you a persistent server with 24/7 access for Alpha 2, we sold you keys based on those statements. Unfortunately, we can't deliver on that promise until May 2025, but we're going to be running some smaller tests until then."

Why try to pass what you promised as "Alpha 2" as "Phase 3" - just come out and say it. That's all they had to do. But radio silence on the bait and switch without mentioning the promises they said before is SCUMMY.

• EndowedEndowed Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes I am.
    But not with Intrepid
    As delays were always expected.
    Just had certain things set up to do a deep dive into persistent testing --- along with others. Bummer.
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Did Steven ever say that every second of Alpha 2 was 24/7?
    The expectation for an Alpha is that it is not going to be up 24/7 until months or years into it.
  • patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited August 21
    The expectation for an Alpha is that it is not going to be up 24/7 until months or years into it.
    The original expectation set was that Alpha 2 would be up 24/7. Also, there is no real set standard for the "expectation of availability" for an alpha. Some games that do public alpha tests have them up 24/7 for the test period, some do not. Star Citizen has been live pretty much 24/7 since 2014 for example since the Arena Commander module launched.
  • Did Steven ever say that every second of Alpha 2 was 24/7?

This, thing is some people don't care or pay attention like above guy just things is a early access game. There were already statements leading up to stream before them not being up the entire time. They never outlaid the full alpha 2 planning. Common sense kind of dictates to expect it not to be 24/7 at the start (as stated in past streams there would be down time loosely), unless you are someone expecting to be playing a game and not being apart of the alpha development you would have a early access expectation (which is clearly silly).
    edited August 21
    Mag7spy wrote: »

This, thing is some people don't care or pay attention like above guy just things is a early access game. There were already statements leading up to stream before them not being up the entire time. They never outlaid the full alpha 2 planning. Common sense kind of dictates to expect it not to be 24/7 at the start (as stated in past streams there would be down time loosely), unless you are someone expecting to be playing a game and not being apart of the alpha development you would have a early access expectation (which is clearly silly).

When did they say that Alpha 2 wouldn't be available 24/7 before the AMA? Being down for short periods to apply updates and fixes doesn't count as "not being 24/7" as that happens in most live games as well. They've explicitly stated that Alpha 2 was originally planned to be up and available at all times (barring short downtimes for updates) from when it started until retail release. It's in the Kickstarter FAQ and Steven explicitly stated this in a livestream. Obviously plans change but that expectation 100% was set by Intrepid.
  • Mag7spy wrote: »

When did they say that Alpha 2 wouldn't be available 24/7 before the AMA? Being down for short periods to apply updates and fixes doesn't count as "not being 24/7" as that happens in most live games as well. They've explicitly stated that Alpha 2 was originally planned to be up and available at all times (barring short downtimes for updates) from when it started until retail release. It's in the Kickstarter FAQ and Steven explicitly stated this in a livestream. Obviously plans change but that expectation 100% was set by Intrepid.

You would need to pay attention to all detail on streams to figure that out. They have no reason to lay out their development plan to you. If you understanding is that its a downtime for a day again you do not have a scope of Alpha development to understand it.

They didn't state it was 24/7 from all points of alpha 2, you won't find a quote on that. Their goal for alpha is pretty obvious being persistent, a goal doesn't appear out of the blue, it needs to be developed because surprise this is in Alpha.

The only one creating wild expectations is you guys, regardless even when it is active and when it isn't. You jumping into a alpha thinking you are playing 24/7 whenever you want instantly, is so far from the mark of an alpha It is crazy. Effectively it is you complaining you can't play the game 24/7, when the whole point of alpha is to TEST the game. Which is pretty much work at that point (granted u have a large amount that don't understand alpha and just will play it, and not really do any work that helps besides some feedback here and there.)

Ill happily comment on the Kickstarter comment though since your entire complain revolves around it (as much as its a bad take).

Notice how they talk about is planned for it being persistent, and you can see their outline of alpha 2 when it will become fully persistent 24/7-ish based on their stream. There is no detailed explanation of their plane and how they are going to go about that in alpha 2. If you are going to be naïve and think there is 0 work involved and it just happens that is on you to not piece it together, or do some extra research to try to understand things better.

Now that you are seeing the plan you are trying to pick at it and say they aren't going to be doing it. Trying to rely on the little information they talked about it which is rightfully so since it wouldn't be planned that far in advanced.

Even though you were not told their plan, making assumptions no how they meant their plan to work, don't have a grasp of alpha in game and the development. You are trying to be that guy saying "Well actually you said its persistent so it needs to be 24/7 right away so i can play the game all day and week. Be playing is more important that the devs doing work on the game and you should pay all the people to make sure things are working fine while I play even if there isn't a whole lot to do." -pushes glasses up on face-
  • kinnderkinnder Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Disappointed? Yeah slightly, but I'm not extremely upset or angry about it like many many folks out there. I just want the game to be good, and not be a buggy, exploitable mess like certain games (looking at you New World).

You have to understand that building any software is difficult, once you add a new thing it could raise 6064590845 different problems. I'm certain that they WANT to release the game sooner, to avoid backlash and angry people, but due to issues along the way can't.
  • Frankly don’t care about the phasing not being 24/7 and neither do I care about anyone butt hurt over it. You are an adult, you’ll deal with it.

This whole project was an opportunity to participate in a real Alpha for an MMORPG. I’ve made my point in another thread that if I were Steven I would not have relied on crowdfunding nor would I give gamers the opportunity to buy their way in. I would be much more selective. I get he’s attempting to grow a community and a game at the same time, but really believe you need the game first at probably a Beta state before opening the gates. I also believe as a software development company you need some smaller projects and a revenue stream and experience in developing to tackle this huge project. That lack of experience kind of shows as does the lack of faith in the company.

As for the people who follow the project, take everything said with a grain of salt and expect change. Even if this game pans out as Steven envisions it still may not be the game for you or me.

The feeling I get is this forum was flooded with trolls once several content creators capitalized on the griefing associated with the Alpha 2 Road Map, primarily because of the price of the keys. First targeting Steven and Intrepid and now targeting the community. Guess someone has to make money off this game while we wait for Alpha 2 to start.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean... keep in mind that the original goal was Before 2020.
    So... there was no concept of the start of Alpha 2 being significantly different than the end of Alpha 2.
    The original expectation was that the start of Alpha 2 would be persistent 24/7, have all the Primary Archetypes and have all of the Races (except maybe Tulnar).

Around May/June 2024, I was beginning to suspect something like Phases/Waves.
    Similar to how we suddenly got an Alpha 0. And then the new Alpha 1 turned into APOC.

But... it's all fine. Not surprising once we have a 3 year gap between A1 and A2.
    Quite likely there will be at least another 3 years before Release.
  • I think their new approach to the servers necessitated the slow roll of Alpha 2. Just my 2 cents.
    edited August 22

You would need to pay attention to all detail on streams to figure that out. They have no reason to lay out their development plan to you. If you understanding is that its a downtime for a day again you do not have a scope of Alpha development to understand it.

They didn't state it was 24/7 from all points of alpha 2, you won't find a quote on that. Their goal for alpha is pretty obvious being persistent, a goal doesn't appear out of the blue, it needs to be developed because surprise this is in Alpha.

The only one creating wild expectations is you guys, regardless even when it is active and when it isn't. You jumping into a alpha thinking you are playing 24/7 whenever you want instantly, is so far from the mark of an alpha It is crazy. Effectively it is you complaining you can't play the game 24/7, when the whole point of alpha is to TEST the game. Which is pretty much work at that point (granted u have a large amount that don't understand alpha and just will play it, and not really do any work that helps besides some feedback here and there.)

Ill happily comment on the Kickstarter comment though since your entire complain revolves around it (as much as its a bad take).

Notice how they talk about is planned for it being persistent, and you can see their outline of alpha 2 when it will become fully persistent 24/7-ish based on their stream. There is no detailed explanation of their plane and how they are going to go about that in alpha 2. If you are going to be naïve and think there is 0 work involved and it just happens that is on you to not piece it together, or do some extra research to try to understand things better.

Now that you are seeing the plan you are trying to pick at it and say they aren't going to be doing it. Trying to rely on the little information they talked about it which is rightfully so since it wouldn't be planned that far in advanced.

Even though you were not told their plan, making assumptions no how they meant their plan to work, don't have a grasp of alpha in game and the development. You are trying to be that guy saying "Well actually you said its persistent so it needs to be 24/7 right away so i can play the game all day and week. Be playing is more important that the devs doing work on the game and you should pay all the people to make sure things are working fine while I play even if there isn't a whole lot to do." -pushes glasses up on face-

Ah yes, only in the mind of a delusional moron does "servers up and available continuously from the start of alpha 2 until launch" mean "only up sometimes from the start of the alpha 2 until launch"

The fact is, they explicitly stated that alpha 2 would be up and available continuously, meaning at all times barring short periods of downtime for updates, until launch.

You're making a whole lot of dumb assumptions about me and what I think too lol not that that's surprising based on how dumb some of your comments in general are.
    edited August 22
    Dygz wrote: »
    I mean... keep in mind that the original goal was Before 2020.
    So... there was no concept of the start of Alpha 2 being significantly different than the end of Alpha 2.
    The original expectation was that the start of Alpha 2 would be persistent 24/7, have all the Primary Archetypes and have all of the Races (except maybe Tulnar).

Around May/June 2024, I was beginning to suspect something like Phases/Waves.
    Similar to how we suddenly got an Alpha 0. And then the new Alpha 1 turned into APOC.

But... it's all fine. Not surprising once we have a 3 year gap between A1 and A2.
    Quite likely there will be at least another 3 years before Release.

Yeah I'm not surprised by it, nor am I upset or concerned. I had doubts that they'd be able to hit their goal of Q3 in general as soon as the server meshing livestream happened and I was kind of thinking that this might be an approach they'd have to take to get something out this year for people to test.

I won't be the least bit surprised if phase 1 gets delayed either honestly, and it's fine if they do delay it. Hopefully their NDA'd tests expose any issues and they can avoid a delay though. This is nothing compared to the wait for server meshing in Star Citizen lol though I suspect Intrepid has been working on it for about as long, they just weren't shouting about it years before it was ready
  • So they changed their plan, from 6 years ago. Sometimes that happens in development. In projects that are 10+ years, the development can, and will, change some. Hopefully the vision stays the same.
  • Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited August 22

Ah yes, only in the mind of a delusional moron does "servers up and available continuously from the start of alpha 2 until launch" mean "only up sometimes from the start of the alpha 2 until launch"

The fact is, they explicitly stated that alpha 2 would be up and available continuously, meaning at all times barring short periods of downtime for updates, until launch.

You're making a whole lot of dumb assumptions about me and what I think too lol not that that's surprising based on how dumb some of your comments in general are.

Naaa my assumptions are spot on, you are whining about alpha development and not understanding how planning works and you're able to see the process.

You continue to show you really are not able to handle following alpha development. Which explains how stupid some of your recent comments have been around this. There is being ignorant and then double downing on that kind of mind set.

Alpha 2 will be running persistently, it is no one else's fault but your own you don't understand there can be phases or milestones leading up to that, ontop of unforeseen issues.

This is why you aren't going to find a single quote saying A2 will be running 24/7 at the very first day of it, and you are only going to find them saying their plan or A2 is to end up like that, without talking about their plan and process. And most likely missing small bits on stream where they slightly mention things and selective playtimes.

Naaa my assumptions are spot on, you are whining about alpha development and not understanding how planning works and you able to see the process.

You continue to show you really are not able to handle following alpha development. Which explains how stupid some of your recent comments have been around this. There is being ignorant and then double downing on that kind of mind set.

Alpha 2 will be running persistently, it is no one else's fault but your own you don't understand there can be phases or milestones leading up to that, ontop of unforeseen issues.

This is why you aren't going to find a single quote saying A2 will be running 24/7 at the very first day of it, and you are only going to find them saying their plan or A2 is to end up like that, without talking about their plan and process. And most likely missing small bits on stream where they slightly mention things and selective playtimes.

That's a whole lot of stupid you just posted lol
  • DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    We are also forgetting that the current plan was likely being formulated and finalized over the last few months. They likely didn't know for sure if and when they could go 24/7 until around the time they were preparing this announcement.
  • Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited August 22

Naaa my assumptions are spot on, you are whining about alpha development and not understanding how planning works and you able to see the process.

From someone that has 0 grasp on development, I don't blame things for being way over your head in understanding. Its ok, you got to start somewhere right ;)
  • Diamaht wrote: »
    We are also forgetting that the current plan was likely being formulated and finalized over the last few months. They likely didn't know for sure if and when they could go 24/7 until around the time they were preparing this announcement.

Yup which i could see very well being the case, u aren't making a plan for this in pre production. Its just beyond silly people are running with this angle, the only way it makes sense is if they said they were not going to do a persistent alpha.

People trying to raise pitch forks over it not being at the start of it....When the devs have already said there isn't going to be an insane amount of content.

As usual people just out here trying to complain and cause issues over every detail they normally would never see in development.
  • if someone puts a pricetag on something and makes promises and doesnt deliver ... you are allowed to be dissapointed
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's game development - which means there is always the potential for the development to become vaporware.
    If you're super-concerned about avoiding disappointment for money spent - save your funds until after Release... and try to read all the reviews you can find and peruse all the gameplay videos available first.
  • They’re attempting to utilize breakthrough, never-before-seen server tech. The fact that they’re only planning to focus on just stability for two months is incredible. Why are so many people with no involvement in the project so eager to paint everything that doesn’t immediately benefit them as dishonesty?

From someone that has 0 grasp on development, I don't blame things for being way over your head in understanding. Its ok, you got to start somewhere right ;)

You're an idiot lol
  • Sengarden wrote: »
    They’re attempting to utilize breakthrough, never-before-seen server tech. The fact that they’re only planning to focus on just stability for two months is incredible. Why are so many people with no involvement in the project so eager to paint everything that doesn’t immediately benefit them as dishonesty?

It's technically not never seen before tech since CIG has shown it off several times and has done public tests with the first stage their own server meshing solution over the past year (which has also been pushed from Q3 to Q4, just like Alpha 2). It is however still unproven in a real production environment.
  • HarlowHarlow Member
    I'm not disappointed because I know with my addiction to gaming, I'd never get any shopping/cleaning/laundry done if I didn't have a couple of forced days off!
    i0xzy5byic4r.png
  • I feel you :D If I was working from home I'd probably be in trouble, at least I have the weekends.

I get why people are disappointed, even angry. I won't try to defend it (too much) Intrepid majorly screwed up their communication with it and didn't address people's expectations, probably because they screwed the keys too.

But to play devil's advocate, when you look at the test's for each phase I can at least understand why it's broken up. When you start on 24/7 you want to be with your guild/friends, not have crashes and not have wipes.

That will be impossible without phase 1 where the tests include stability, scalability and performance. They can’t realistically open the realms to 10k people and hope for the best.

Phase 2 I have less defense for but at that point it will be 5+ days anyway, I can only imagine there will be more wipes than crashes since they’re testing nodes and economy, what could possibly go wrong there.

You're an idiot lol

One lacking in intelligence is you buddy, not understanding how things work and crying.
  • TheAshen wrote: »
    I feel you :D If I was working from home I'd probably be in trouble, at least I have the weekends.

I get why people are disappointed, even angry. I won't try to defend it (too much) Intrepid majorly screwed up their communication with it and didn't address people's expectations, probably because they screwed the keys too.

But to play devil's advocate, when you look at the test's for each phase I can at least understand why it's broken up. When you start on 24/7 you want to be with your guild/friends, not have crashes and not have wipes.

That will be impossible without phase 1 where the tests include stability, scalability and performance. They can’t realistically open the realms to 10k people and hope for the best.

Phase 2 I have less defense for but at that point it will be 5+ days anyway, I can only imagine there will be more wipes than crashes since they’re testing nodes and economy, what could possibly go wrong there.

Yeah, it's definitely understandable why they've broken Alpha 2 up into the phases that they have. Server meshing really is cutting edge, unproven tech and there are going to be problems. This is just a different approach to the spot tests that CIG has been doing with their server meshing tech really. There's no coincidence that the two primary studios pushing this tech are utilizing similar approaches.
    edited August 22

You're an idiot lol

One lacking in intelligence is you buddy, not understanding how things work and crying.

Yes, me saying I understand why they're doing this and am not upset or concerned about it sure is "crying" lol

You're the one making dumbass assumptions about people you know nothing about because you clearly didn't understand what they were saying to begin with. Now feel free to reply again so you can feel like you "won" to appease your fragile ego. You very obviously have nothing of value to add though so I won't be wasting any more time replying to your drivel.